• Published 8th Feb 2019
  • 2,656 Views, 343 Comments

Of Stars and Sails - RadBunny



When an eccentric gryphon and his for-hire crew are tasked with kidnapping a Princess for her own safety, it was sure to be an odd job. But when plans and alliances fail, no port is safe when a dagger is hidden behind every friendly smile.

  • ...
1
 343
 2,656

Chapter Two: A Desperate Plea

“Captain? We’ve got a problem.” Tilly called up to Galen, who was currently leaning on the main steering column of the airship.
“Hmm?” He yawned, the noon-day sun having worked its sleepy magic as the gryphon struggled back from a daze as they rounded the last third of their Klugetown voyage.
“The hospital. They’re requesting our help. Something about the main mana fuses blowing?”
Galen toggled a switch on the side of the wheel, switching control of the ship to Alabaster as he scrambled down to the main deck.
“What?! They should have backup ones, and backups TO the backups!” He growled, looking over the scroll Tilly handed him, transcribed from their crystal radio.
The gryphoness saw Galen’s eyes narrow, the captain’s eyes scanning across the message twice.
“You have got to be kidding me…Al! Full power, we need to get there now!” He bellowed into the nearest crystal. The ship lurched forward, a cone of arcane energy blasting from the powerful crystal emitters on the stern.

“It was a manufacturing flaw. The primary fuses and backups are all from the same batch. It should have been caught…” Galen explained, shaking his head as Tilly blinked, wings shrugging slightly.
“So how bad is it?” She asked, Gauze poking her head out of the cabin to listen in.
“One of the two fuses blew. If the second one goes, that means no more mana crystals or projectors. That removes all of the hospital’s power, and two thirds of the surgeons and doctors wouldn’t be able to continue. The backups run on the same fuses too- so that won’t last. Any patients requiring vital support won’t make it if that fails too.” He muttered, claws drumming across a wooden railing.

“The next shipment is coming- they just have to hold out for eight hours. I doubt those fuses will hold for two though.”
“Then what’s the plan?” Gauze piped up, seeing Tilly smile ever so slightly.
“We get the Captain to the hospital. He does the rest.” She looked over to Galen, who nodded briefly, deep in thought.
“That about covers it. I might need a distraction- so tell your husband please.” He added, glancing over to Tilly.

“Oh boy. I get to wear an itchy cape again. Could you have enchanted any other item with a disguise spell?” Pergin grumbled, overhearing the captain as he joined the gathering crew on the main deck.
“What are you doing this time, Captain?” Gears asked, the hedgehog emerging from one of the hatches and noticing the gryphons’ tail was lashing with nerves.
“Probably something rash and stupid…” The gryphon muttered, staring at the deck in thought.

“Eh. We figured- but I’m guessing it’ll work.” Gears remarked with a grin.
“Alabaster, I want to come in as fast as possible. I’ll fly down to the main entrance and head to the basement from there. Connect the ship’s core to the hospital’s to see if we can supplement power, even for a few moments.” Galen called out, the other members of the crew watching as he clambered down the main ladder into the ship.
“…Vacation after saving the hospital then.” Pergin muttered, getting an elbow from Tilly.
“But at least a vacation.” She whispered, the grumbly gryphon relaxing a bit.
“And we are saving a bunch of lives, another positive. This is assuming our captain doesn’t burn himself out again with work…”
Staunch and Gears exchanged a glance, shrugging their own shoulders as the other two bantered back and forth, the airship rocketing towards the town on the Badlands horizon.
“Never a dull day.” The hedgehog huffed, a slight smile twitching at his features.


“Anything else?” The unicorn mare growled, the two reptilian creatures in front of her cowering in fear. Her shadow stretched to cover the entire wall of the dimly lit alleyway, the mare’s eyes flashing with a dangerous white energy.
“T-that’s it! I swear!” The would-be mugger stammered, scrambling away as the dark green pony as fast as he could.
Useful information, but not how I wanted to get it… She mused, covering up with a black cloak that shimmered and sparked with magic.

Exiting the alleyway, the mare meandered through the streets of Klugetown, prying eyes passing over the invisibility spell without a thought.
Now, to go to the source and stop stalling.

Rounding the corner of a stone building, the mare looked up and actually took a breath in surprise. Towering above the marketplace and metal dwellings, a solid granite structure rose from the red and tan Badlands rock like a flame amongst a sand dune. Dwarfing the ramshackle metal towers and buildings next to it, the monolithic structure looked more like a fortress than anything else. Written in multiple languages across the large entrance, ‘Klugetown General Hospital’ was backlit by a few blue crystal lights that made it shine day or night. A separate entrance to her left bore the lettering ‘Immediate Trauma Entrance,’ likely leading to the immediate emergency sections. The rectangular building was easily fifteen floors tall, the uppermost levels slightly smaller than the last as it rose in a half pyramid shape to the sky. On the roof appeared to be a series of antenna and a communication apparatus- fancy equipment for a building in Klugetown squalor…

To either side of the large stone columns, six heavily armored guards stood to either side of the main entrance. Clad in thick metal armor, each individual held spears and swords at their sides as they surveyed the individuals coming and going. A strange symbol adorned the upper left corner of their armor- a shield with some other design inscribed on it.
Interesting. Two minotaur’s, two gryphons- and two ponies!?
Hmm.
Her gaze was drawn away by a low roar that echoed through the sky- an airship flaring to a stop on a nearby rock bluff dock. A single individual flew down- vanishing among the metal skyline.
Come to think of it, the buildings nearest this one are better kept, and the marketplace did have a much better selection of wares. Perhaps this festering sore of a town is beginning to heal.

Passing though the entrance, the mare felt a slight shiver run down her spine as one of the guards looked directly at her- but his gaze continued on, not stopping on the hidden pony.
This cloak could conceal a dragon- and then there’s the other spells on top of it. I’m safe until I choose to remove it…

On entering the hospital, the mare looked around for a good starting point. She had a few moments to be sure, so more checking couldn’t hurt. In front of her was the primary check in desk, where a gryphoness was chatting with a reptile pair- one of whom had an arm in a sling. To either side of the desk were four entrances; an emergency and operating entrance, and non-critical entrance (which the mare assumed led to general examination rooms,) then two other double doors leading to the general halls.

Looking around, the mare was suddenly struck by a sense of normalcy. A family of ponies in the corner was playing with a young colt who was wearing a surgical mask, and two elderly gryphons waited off to the side as a pony nurse then beckoned them into one of the doors, peaceful music playing in the background all the while.
I could be in Equestria right now, or any other hospital. How has this managed to survive in the Badlands?
Why does it feel safe?

A group of creatures then began to congregate off to the side behind a small partition- the mare going to investigate. Composed of all sorts of species, they didn’t appear to be ill or here for care, nor for any nefarious means.
In fact, most appeared to be rather curious and passive- reptilian and furry faces more in wonder of the building around them than anything else.
From the ceiling, a mostly-hidden blue crystal sprang to life- and an arcane entity weaved itself together in front of the dozen creatures.
“Hello there, and welcome to Klugetown General Hospital!” A tall feline crowed, gesturing around to the room.
“If you’re here for introductory questions, this is indeed the right place! If you need general care, that’s over to your left, so please see the reception desk for that.” The blue cat entity explained, then gesture to the crystal above her.
“First off, I am not a flesh and blood feline. I suppose the best way to explain it is that of a magical golem. Parts of a real individual went into my creation, but I am not ‘alive.’ You can just call me ‘Secretary,’ because that’s one of my many duties here.” She explained, most of the creatures nodding slowly.
Golems are rare, but hardly impossible; intriguing nonetheless. The mare mused.

“So what is this place? I haven’t been to Klugetown in years, and this thing just sprang up out of nowhere.” A turtle-like creature called, Secretary then nodding with a smile.
“This is the official Klugetown Hospital. Founded and run by a local trader, we don’t charge anything for the services here. One of the first decisions made was to raze the old tent area to the ground and employ the current doctors here.” Secretary explained.
“There were good creatures trying their best, but they didn’t have the means. Now they a building, modern equipment, and are able to help more creatures than ever!”
Color me impressed…And no name dropped?

“For free?” A reptile scoffed, waving his clawed hands dismissively.
“Nothing is free, and all this fancy stuff must have cost more than any of us could make in a year!”
The projection smiled, and the concealed pony mare could have sworn a mischievous twinkle shone in the golem’s eye.
“In the case of saving lives, that is free. If payment is a matter of honor, we have representatives to work with patients for that. However, this hospital is fully self-sufficient. Part of a larger organization, mines and factories fund this facility and more.”
The reptile could only stare, now looking around with a bit of humility- yet another trait the mare didn’t expect to find in the Badlands.

Hearing a bit of commotion outside the hospital, the pony scooted away and saw a gaggle of creature making their way towards the entrance. Many had white smocks with large red crosses on the back-
Uh oh.
“Please stand back, every-creature. I am receiving reports of a mine collapse in the south-west district.” The feline called, gesturing to a small door behind them.
“I will ask that you leave and return at a different time- we are about to become rather busy.”

Slipping past the leaving individuals, the pony made her way inside the trauma entrance, watching as five reptilian creatures were hauled inside from a separate entrance. Her stomach turned as each of these patients had pieces of metal sticking out from various areas- be it limb or gut.
Her hooves almost became slippery with blood as the mare ventured too close.
Yet through it all, the creatures that led the patients to their surgery were as professional as any doctors in Canterlot Central, be them reptile, pony, gryphon, or minotaur.
“Another mine collapse?!” A deep voice growled behind the mare, a grey gryphon making his way past the rooms and towards a different set of doors. A thin off-blue reptile scampered after him, as well as six gryphon guards. The mare joined the group, sliding off to the side as the reptile smoothed his dark green frill.

“Y-yes. The mayor already wants to know when it can be re-opened….”
Galen blinked, taking a few deep breaths and summoning a scroll with a flick of claw and handing it to the creature.
“Tell the mayor the mine will not re-open for some time. Furthermore….” The gryphon’s eyes seemed to spark- or perhaps it was a flickering of the lights.
“Actually, deliver this message. I’m done dealing with this crook. Either he accepts my previous first offer to buy the remaining mines, or I will release every transcript of our conversation to the public. He knows which ones- my suggestions to improve and make this town safer, and his replies to refuse it all and fund crime organizations instead. If he continues to refuse, I will buy this town out from under him and exile that slime to the nastiest volcano I can find, assuming the townsfolk don’t put his head on a pike first.”

The poor reptile was shivering in fear at the thought of delivering such a message, wincing as the gryphon placed a set of claws on his scaly shoulder. The aid’s eyes widened as a small stone was pressed into his free palm. The lizard’s shivering stopped as Galen smiled slightly, shaking his head slowly.
“I know what the mayor is capable of when receiving bad news, so take this. Just tap that crystal twice and you’ll be transported here if you need to get out in a hurry. There’s always room for more competent creatures here, ok?”
The aid nodded, then scampering out with the stone and scroll in claw.
“Now, to the fuse room. How many more minutes of backup power do we have left?” Galen asked, the guards following him through a thick locked door. The staircase was dimly lit with blue lights, the creatures taking a few steps at a time.
“Secretary says we have about five minutes, then it all goes dark. The last fuse failed eight minutes ago.” One of the guards spoke up.
The golem? Huh…

The staircase wound down into the foundations of the building, solid stone columns supporting the passageway that branched into separate storage rooms. At the very end of the dimly lit hall, the group entered a room to their right-
The mare blinked in shock, vision whited out by the massive crystal that was nestled into the stolid grey stone in front of her. To either side of the room-sized crystal, strange electrical devices hummed away, pony sized blue circular runes on the floor and walls sparking and fizzling. To their left, a huge metal plate was affixed to the wall, two cylindrical objects set between a positive and negative electrical contact point.
Both of the oblong metal and crystal objects were blackened and burned, a bit of molten stone dripping from the fuse’s internals.
“Are we secure here? This is going to be messy.” Galen asked, one of the guards raising a set of claws before nodding.
“I-yes, we are.” The guard nodded.
Despite none of the gryphons looking directly at her, the mare felt more exposed than ever. She wasn’t a trained spy- but this all felt wrong to her. Even though cloaked in powerful invisibility magic, she felt like every creature in the room was fully aware of her presence...

“Pergin, be ready. I’m going to get this fixed, but I’ll need to charge the mana crystals from one of the hospital rooms to speed it up. That’s when you’ll be on.”
“Understood, Captain.” A voice chirped from the crystal gauntlet on the gryphon’s arm.
“Alright. Lets get this done. Time?”
“Five minutes until failure.” ‘Secretary’ called, appearing among the gryphon guards.
Wait. There’s projection crystals down here too? How far can they reach? I don’t-

“How many will be lost if this doesn’t work?” Galen asked, the feline shaking her head.
“Counting the three dozen from the collapsed mine that need surgery, and the failure of all the projectors and the required steps from that? Over one hundred. We still haven’t discharged many from the hydrogen explosion a week ago.” Secretary explained before vanishing.
“A hundred souls if I don’t fix this, alright…Alabaster? Link our ship’s power to the secondary generators.” Galen instructed, another gryphon snapping into existence next to him, maintaining the ghostly-blue outline as Secretary.
“What are you doing this time, Galen? And to my generators?!”
“Calm down, Engineer Urtil, you may be leagues away, but your generators are in good claws.” Galen explained, his tone carrying a bit of…warning?
“I-erm, yes. But still, what are you going to do?” The Engineer asked, walking over to examine the crystal and fuses.

“I’m going to make new fuses from the floor material. They should hold another seven or eight hours. I can make the replacement parts too for when they burn out. They’ll need to replace them every thirty minutes or so, but it will work.” Galen explained, prompting a groan.
“That’s…one of the messiest fixes I’ve ever heard of. Alright, we’re standing by to re-engage the power from this end. The mana crystal at your location is still functioning perfectly, thank heavens. That would be a worse fix.”
The engineer vanished, Galen motioning for the guards to back up- the hidden mare following suite.
So, Captain Galen. What are you about to do? What is rumor and what is fact?

An electrical charge surged into the air- causing all fur and feathers to prickle in the basement.
“Fanteer- stand by to throw the main breaker.” Galen called to a guard, the other gryphon standing next to a massive red lever.
A portly reptile now slid into the room, eyes widening at the burned-out fuses as a guard accompanied him.
“I c-can’t fix that!” The large toad-like creature croaked, one of the guards moving him back.
“Ah, glad you are here, Quanti. You’ve done a fine job at maintaining things, but this is out of your realm. You are correct, you can’t fix this- but you can certainly watch.” Galen replied nonchalantly.
“Three minutes!” One of the guards called.

Galen shrugged his shoulders and neck as though loosening up for a fight, a crackle of energy spreading from his body and onto the floor. Blue arcane bolts skittered across stone and equipment alike as the gryphon reared onto his hind legs.
“Urtil, re-energize the connection!” Galen bellowed.
The massive crystal to their right flared with a beautiful white glow- sending a stream of energy to the various runes dotting the floor. In turn, the runes glowed and hummed with power, coalescing into a white beam that aimed towards the fuses-and instead struck Galen right in the chest.
Seeming unphased, the gryphon gestured to the burned-out fuses and yanked them out of the contacts with a magical grip. Then twisting his claws towards the solid stone floor, Galen caused magical tendrils to twist and cut two large pieces out of the rock. Molding into the approximate shape of the previous fuses, the stones then split in half as they cemented themselves against the metal contact points. Smaller cylinders of rock molded to connect the positive and negative points of each- these about the size of a fist. Taking a few steps forward, Galen pressed a set of claws against one of the contact points.
“Breakers!”
“Are you crazy?! That will kill you!” Quanti cried, shaking his head in shock.
The guard threw the switch, and the beam of light immediately dimmed as the energy poured into the hospital’s grid.

The mare’s eyes widened as the energy licked across Galen’s frame and into the fuses, the gryphon’s body being used as a sort of magical regulator as the stone continued to solidify.
How is he still alive?!
The fuses began to hum and crystalize as the energy melted pathways through the reluctant stone, the guards then taking a step back as the beam brightened.
“Energy surge…” Galen muttered, white bolts of arcane energy sparkle and flickering across his frame. One of the makeshift fuses began to glow a bit brighter than the other, causing the gryphon to adjust his grip. Angry bolts of magic ate away at the gryphon’s left wrist, causing feathers and flesh to vanish with soft pops and snaps. Instead of crying out in pain, Galen appeared to be simply wincing…
No. Not wincing. He’s smiling- but how, and why?

The hum in the room then abated, the beam of energy now redirected into the fuses as they glowed a soft red. Taking an offered strip of cloth, Galen wound it around his left wrist hastily.
Suppressing a surprised gasp, the mare saw only a few drops of blood spotting the gryphon’s wrist. Instead of raw bone and tendon being exposed, waves of blue magic ran in rivers where blood should have flowed under the flayed skin.
What in the world…?

“Quanti, will that do it?” Galen asked calmly, the reptile swallowing in shock as he pulled out a small metal device and looked over the readings.
“I-I erm, yes. Output is stable, but the pieces between the makeshift fuses, I’m showing a steady increase of residual power…”

The gryphon nodded, gesturing to a small pile of similarly sized stone. Reaching between the two fuses, Galen yanked out one of the connecting pieces.
“Correct. These will fail every thirty minutes or so. You should have more than enough to replace them. Simply yank out the burned stone, and replace it with one of the new ones. I’ve tuned them to accept a limited amount of energy. The overall transfer energy is slightly less and more wasteful than with the real fuses, but that can’t be helped. It should last until the replacements get here and you can shut down to do a full repair. The stone will just pull off by the way.” He explained, leaving the flabbergasted repair-creature to stare.
“Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a package to deliver.”

As Galen left, the reptile continued to scan the various pieces of equipment, two guards remaining behind. As the mare followed the Captain, she caught a soft murmur from the incredulous maintenance toad.
“Rumored to be a mage indeed. I’ve never seen anything like that before…”

Exiting the basement sublevel, the group dispersed slightly, all but two of the guards filing back to different areas as Galen meandered towards one of the secluded stairways. Now mostly alone in the brightly lit hospital hallway, the gryphon tottered on his feet, enough for the guard to reach out and steady him.
“Whoa, that was a rush.” He muttered, one of the guards looking at him curiously. The gryphon under the armor was younger- a bit moreso than Galen…
“That was awesome.” He whispered, the Captain letting out a chuckle.
“Derinal, right? Well, I suppose it was. That being said, I can’t promise a special event like that often, since I try to avoid it obviously.” Galen remarked as they reached the second story of the hospital. A third guard now joined them, carrying a very rough brown paper package tied with fraying twine.
“Ah. Perfect. Now then…third room. Pergin? Please be ready for that distraction. These mana crystals are going to light up something fierce when I jump-start their intake spells.” Galen remarked, a simply affirmative chirp sounding on his gauntlet.

The guards waiting outside, Galen walked into the small room and took a brief look around, the concealed mare following him inside curiously.
“Ah, Miss…Gilded Plaster?” The gryphon asked, an off-purple mare in the bed waving a limb tiredly.
“Present, who are you?” The pony asked, a set of calm cream curtains separating the bed from the rest of the room. Two fist-sized crystals hung near her bed, along with a simple IV stand. Walking over to the bed, Galen looked over the clipboard at the end and nodded, a slightly tense expression easing quickly.
“Looks like you had quite a tumble….I trust every creature is taking good care of you?” He asked, the mare then seeing the package in his arms.
“Very much so, but I’m afraid- oh! Is that from my son? It looks like something he’d do.” She asked, Galen carefully setting it on the bed.

“That it is. I just came from the outpost- and he caught my ship just as it was leaving. Would you like help opening it?” Galen asked, the pony nodding eagerly and waving a hoof.
“Please. With this needle in my arm and this fashionable half-barrel bandage, I’m not the most mobile…” She admitted.
Slitting open the small package with a black talon, Galen carefully withdrew three items from the overly-padded box; a rolled-up scroll, picture frame, and small sculpture, setting them all next to the mare
Gilded let out a slight sniffle, taking the picture frame and setting it carefully on the table within reach to her right.
She then unrolled the scroll and let a happy grin split her features.
“Oh goodness.” Gilded whispered, showing Galen the parchment.
“My son is one of the top students his class across most of his subjects! Oh I’m so proud of him…” She whispered, then turned the scroll over and bit her lip. A simple drawing of a stallion and colt stared back at them, frozen in time waving to the viewer.
“I always said my husband should be an artist- but I suppose he is with the work he does with buildings…”

The final object was also placed next to her- the sculpture of a small home set into a cliff face, three figures spaced in front.
“M’am, I need to check these crystals briefly. It might be a bit bright, so don’t look too closely.” Galen explained, tapping his gauntlet with a claw.

The murmuring of a few creatures reached into the room as a strange figure swept past the door, clad in a dark black cloak.
“Tilly. I think I should also be in the marketplace too, if you can walk among the stalls please. Use the green cape.” Galen whispered, then turning back around. Grasping one of the crystals, Galen let energy surge through the limb opposite of the bed- the crystal promptly beginning to hum.
Poking her head outside, the hidden mare saw the cloaked gryphon waving a set of talons, a bit of energy sparking from them and darting into each room. Looking remarkably like the Captain in the other room, the strange gryphon drew the attention of anyone on the floor. The crystals within each room began to glow as the newcomer gestured- lighting up the entire floor (and, she assumed, every other above and below it.)

Turning back inside, the mare’s eyes narrowed as the mana crystals continued to glow, energy flowing smoothly from Galen’s limb into the receptacle.
Why the secrecy? I have a few ideas of course…
“Oh Goodness. Was that the mysterious Captain I’ve heard about? Cloaked in black or green so I’ve heard.” Gilded murmured, prompting a smile from Galen.
“I suppose it might be. These crystals are charged up now- so you’ll feel much better shortly. It will lessen your stay to be sure.”

The mare then began to sniffle, shaking her head.
“I feel horrible about all this. I don’t know how we’re going to pay for it. One of the nurses simply said it’d be taken care of, but even with long term loans, I don’t….”
Galen couldn’t help but smile, carefully placing the remnants of the package at the bedside.
“Miss Plaster, that’s not how this hospital is run.” He explained.
“When the nurse said it’d be taken care of, she meant the costs are covered. I’m not sure how that was missed, but with your injuries they must have been more concerned with stabilizing you- and rightly so. But all expenses are covered, and you’ll be seeing your son and husband soon enough.”

The mare looked at the gryphon in shock, shaking her head as he was turning to leave.
“I d-don’t understand. Nothing?”
Galen simply nodding in affirmative, and was about to leave as Gilded asked a final question.
“You never told me who you are?”
A caring smile split his beak, and the gryphon couldn’t help but shrug.
“Just call me Galen, Miss Plaster. Get well soon.”

Leaving the shocked pony’s room, Galen meandered down the halls, the guards and cloaked pony in tow.
These rumors, his power. What is true, what isn’t?
I’ve dawdled long enough.

Slipping into a supply closet, the mare shed the concealment cloak, stowing it in a faux leather side satchel. Grime dotted her frame, and a wiry black mane was hastily slicked down.
Re-emerging into the hall, the pony followed Gallen and managed to tap his shoulder.
“Erm, Sir? I was told you are the gryphon to ask concerning certain…employment opportunities.” She asked, Galen nodding with only a brief flash of surprise in his blue eyes.
“Mmm? Ah, yes. Please follow me.”

Leading the mare to an empty room, Galen nodded to the guards.
“Return to your posts- I’m good here.”
Without question, the creatures made their way down the halls, Galen then closing the large double doors. Empty beds dotted the large room; clearly meant for treating a group of individuals. As of yet it was empty- two large windows with metal bars overlooking a small side road of Klugetown, the view slightly tinted through the modified glass.

“Alright, we should be undisturbed here. What can I do for you, since you clearly know I’m the gryphon to go to or at least suspected such.” Galen asked, the mare shrugging her shoulders.
“I just have a job, one that I thought best offered face to face to smooth over any details.” She explained, Galen then holding up a set of claws.
“Excellent, but first, where are my manners. I am Captain Galen, as you know. What is your name, or at least what may I call you?”

The pony blinked, hoof tapping on the ground briefly.
“You can just call me Rhyoli.” She answered, then withdrew a single scroll from a fabric side satchel.
“Alright, Rhyoli, what is the job?” Galen asked, looking the offered parchment over with a keen gaze.
“As written there, it’s the pickup, protection, and deliver of an individual. Payment is negotiable, but starting at minimum, tens of thousands of bits or whatever currency you desire.” Rhyoli stated. Despite Galen’s calm demeanor, the pony began to feel increasingly uneasy.

“So, this is a diplomat? You say here it may be tricky to convince them they need to leave?” He asked, the pony nodding.
“Yes. They may not be aware of the job, but it’s for their own safety and security. Therefor they might be a bit resistant at first. It’s from a main city to an outer colony- barely a few days journey I imagine. What else would you like to know?”

Galen paused, looking over the scroll once more. His eyes then narrowed, and caused the parchment to burst into flames with a snap of his claws.
“Were you being truthful with me, I might be interested. As of now, I suspect this is a veiled kidnapping job. What would happen to this individual on delivery?”

The mare rolled her eyes, calmly sitting on a bed that creaked slightly.
“What does it matter? You’re being paid whatever you want. I get that you’re a good gryphon, but everyone has a price. Or is your price not paid in gold? What about blood?” She casually suggested.
“I’d rather not venture down that route. Hostage jobs are such a pain to follow through on…”

Taking a deep breath, Galen tapped his gauntlet twice, causing it to flash a dull yellow.
“Alright, I’ve heard enough. Miss Rhyoli, you are going to tell me who your employers are, and what exactly this job would have entailed, including the fate of my ‘passenger.’”
The mare laughed, shaking her head.
“That’s not how this works. As I suspected, the rumors only are partially true. You’re powerful- but I could have killed you ten times over in this past hour. As to the fate of a passenger, what do you care? You’re a mercenary, a well-doing one, but everyone has a price.”

The mare stood and took a few steps back as Galen let out what sounded like a growl, the gryphon rearing on his hindquarters.
“If you paid heed to what rumors said, you would know that I don’t deal with cargo that can think for itself. Creatures aren’t cargo.” He muttered, energy sparking along his shoulders.
“And really, Miss Rhyoli, you think you have been hidden this entire time? There are ten guards outside this door, and I’ve known you were following me ever since you passed through the magical sensors at the entrance.” The gryphon chuckled darkly, waving his claws.

The mare’s breath caught in her chest as magical runes snapped into existence- five angry red symbols buzzing over her body like wasps about to strike. Enclosing her entire body, teal-blue energy bolts of energy formed a cage, moving with her despite taking steps left and right.
I could have killed you this entire time. Now then, I want to know who you really are. Those concealment spells are ancient and powerful- so this might sting.” Galen muttered, claws gesturing briefly towards the startled mare.
There’s no way he could-
With a yelp, the mare shivered as the runes flashed- encasing her entire form in angry white lightning bolts. The pony’s form fragmented and shattered, the floor warping from the head of the discharged spell.


Galen sat down in surprise, still not releasing the containment runes on seeing a very disheveled Hippogriff Queen sitting in front of him.
“Huh. I can’t say I didn’t expect a two layered concealment spell, but it makes sense. Well, round two then. I’ve seen Queen Novo before- and I can safely say she wouldn’t tolerate that amount of dirt on her person, nor miss a scheduled massage.” He muttered, gesturing to the runes again.
With a flash, the spells activated- but did nothing other than cause Queen Novo’s feathers and fur to fluff slightly, as did the next two attempts.

Tapping the gauntlet to end the ‘stand-by’ alert, Galen blinked as he looked over the ruler, Novo letting out a soft chuckle.
“I am impressed, Captain Galen. And you are correct, I would ordinarily not let myself become this filthy or miss my relaxation appointments. Well, not unless I had a reason, and this is one of those times. Now if you could please let me go?” She asked, touching one of the arcane bars with her claw.

Galen shook his head, still surprised but not dispelling the magic.
“Even if my spells fail to reveal another disguise, how do I know it’s you?”
Novo met his gaze, her tired eyes boring into his own.
“Celestia gave me a phrase to say for that purpose. ‘Grey Feathers, Blue Heart.’”
His eyes widened in astonishment, and with a wave of his claws the red runes above Novo’s head vanished. The bars faded away as the gryphon mage ran as set of claws through his flared crest.
“Erm, my apologies your majesty, but may I ask why you did all of that?” Galen asked, clearly at a halfway point between being shocked and annoyed.

“Because that is exactly how some-creature would approach you to try and interrupt the job I’m about to ask of you.” She explained, taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly. It was only now that Galen noticed the deep lines underneath the Queen’s eyes, her feathers showing more than a day or two of stress from lack of care. The ordinarily immaculate ruler was coated with more than grime from Klugetown; stress and exhaustion emanated from her frame despite her noble posture.

“Queen Novo, what is going on?” Galen asked cautiously, the Queen not meeting his gaze.
“My apologies. Give me a moment- that was rather difficult to act out.” She whispered, then looking back to the confused gryphon.
“I’ve heard rumors of you, Captain Galen, both from individuals I respect and the criminal underbelly of the city. Before I ask for your help, how many are true?” Novo asked, prompting Galen’s gaze to fall slightly.
Ask for my help? What type of job is this?

“It depends what rumors. I allow potential enemies to see what you beheld- and that has made my life both easier and a bit more difficult. I think every rumor has truth to it.” He sighed, looking back up to Novo.
“What rumors concern you? Or, more to the point, why do they concern you?”

His words seemed to shatter what little decorum the Queen was holding on to, the hippogriff shaking her head.
“Captain, I am not used to going to others for help.” She whispered.
“I give orders, I do what needs to be done. I am the ruler of a nation- yet I find it difficult to ask for help even from Celestia, so forgive me for that arrogance. I have a fairly good reason to be concerned of any rumors though.” Novo added.
“I am asking you to protect my daughter. Perhaps that clarifies as to why I ask about rumors and went to all this trouble.”

She didn’t miss how Galen’s ears flicked up, the gryphon focusing on her more intently.
“Sky-erm, Princess Skystar? Your Majesty, this doesn’t make too much sense. Speaking of rumors, does this have to do with the secession proposals?”
Novo nodded, taking off the satchel that hung at her side and placing it on the ground.
“Yes, but it is much worse than you know. Forgive me for that earlier test, but I had to be sure. Even with that- entrusting the care of my daughter to someone is….” Novo shook her head, then looking up with a fair bit of fire behind her eyes.
“The rumors, Captain Galen. The one of you being a powerful gryphon mage, however rare, appears to be true. As a Knight of the Grey Order, you are bound to no nation- but I request you answer these on your honor.”
“Yes, and I shall.” He stated, sitting up slightly.

Novo paused, opening her beak and closing it as she thought.
“Captain, how far are you willing to go to protect someone? Be it for a job or otherwise?” She asked, seeing the gryphon’s eyes narrow.
“Are you asking me to kill for you, Queen Novo? Because I am no assassin.” He stated, but then saw the hippogriff stand up a bit taller.

“What of the rumor that you have aggressively killed dozens of known criminals? Many in morally dubious circumstances?”
Galen stared back at the queen, his eyes glowing ever so slightly.
“History is written by the victor, and the defeated will try to twist it regardless, Queen Novo. I have not killed a single creature I wasn’t forced to.”
“And yet you have.” She stated flatly, the gryphon’s demeanor growing ever colder at her words.
“Despite needing me to capable of such, you look down on me because of that.” He retorted.
The Knight’s words gave Novo pause, the queen’s wings slumping slightly at the realization.
“It is not a fair view. I am…incorrect. I am sorry” She finally whispered, the gryphon nodding slowly.
“The rumors are true. I assume you got the stories from criminals however- where their partners were the ones killed. In one such instance, the reptile was charging a tourist pony and their filly with a knife, fully intent on exporting them to any hungry bidder.” Galen stated, tone slightly warmer than before but still with a knife’s edge. The queen quickly began to realize she had crossed a line far too quickly with the Knight.

“Another example. Another slaver, a gryphon, thought it would be profitable to kidnap my medic- a crystal pony, and sell her to the highest bidder for whatever purpose. He threatened to slit her throat when I found them, sword held across her neck. My crossbow was faster. Third- I stood between a pony and his estranged family. I don’t know what he was drugged with, but he seemed intent on carving them up with a rusty kitchen blade, and wanted to go through me first.”

Seeing the queen’s face lose a bit of color, Galen stood up straighter and raised an eyebrow.
“Do you require more examples, Queen Novo? Perhaps you’ve heard what the criminals call me? I think they use the minotaur language, unless I’m mistaken. Have you heard the translation?”
She swallowed, nodding briefly.
“Blue demon…”
“And those who I save. What have they called me and my crew? Demons? Devils? Evil eldritch horrors?”
Novo finally let a smile slide onto her beak at the thought- the undercover positive interviews in the morning having been one of the higher points of the past day.
“Angels.”

Galen nodded, taking a deep breath and shivering slightly.
“I do not want to dwell on the evil I’ve had to confront. I will defend friends and family to the death. That is the oath I took personally, even before becoming a Knight.”
Novo stayed quiet, then letting some words slip with no small hesitation. She was not fond of thought after all.
“Does Skystar count as a friend?”
Ears perking up once again, Galen drummed his claws on the floor, sighing slightly.
“Queen Novo, you still haven’t told me what is going on.”
The proud queen looked around, shaking her head.
“Are we secure here? Truly? Nothing I say can leave this room, even to your crew unless you trust them with it…”

Seeing the ruler looking around nervously set Galen’s nerves on edge. Novo was looking at each entrance and window as though it was a changeling about to attack, the hippogriff shifting uncomfortably.
Wait.
Something tickled at the edge of the gryphon’s consciousness- and the room darkened as runes popped into existence.
What is this…

Hovering above Queen Novo’s head, a small red light flashed- angrily darting this way and that as Galen levitated it towards him. Snatching the spell with a set of claws, the gryphon examined it, then yanking it apart and purging it with his own power.
“You were followed.” He stated, prompting a sharp intake of breath.
“That was a tracing spell. Inactive, but there. It is old, ancient magic, and probably went dormant when it sensed me or my spells close. What is going on?” Galen asked, and Novo nodded, taking a few breaths.

“I am out of options, Captain Galen.” Queen Novo began, settling down on the floor and letting her shoulders sag with an unseen weight.
“You are correct, this has to do with the secession movement. Similar actors have been popping up in Equestria as well- but it is worse in my kingdom. I don’t know where they have been getting their support, but I am losing creatures to their side. It isn’t just the desire to break away- or even hide under the waves again, which was their original platform. No, this is a complete desire to remove the ruling body and replace me or my advisors with their own. It is the threat of a coup. While they have not resorted to violence yet, they there have been far too many disturbing threats of such for me to ignore.”

Galen nodded, listening intently as Novo continued.
“I have only a week left before their arbitrary demands are not met. I am used to threats and can deal with them. But Skystar- they…”
The Queen hung her head, shaking it back and forth slowly. Gone was the proud and sarcastic individual Galen had met many months ago when agreeing to a trade contract. Instead, a despondent hippogriff queen desperate for help refused to look him in the eye.

“As a ruler, Captain Galen, I must endure threats to my life and my subjects. I cannot give into demands, for that would set a dangerous precedent.” She whispered, now looking up with a trembling beak.
“But as a mother, I cannot abandon my child.”

The gryphon was shocked a few tears traced their way down Novo’s cheeks, the queen tossing them away.
“These separatists are fanatics. I know not what motivates them- but they’ve gone as so far as to kidnap some of my best warriors and turn them into shivering shells of their former selves as a threat. If these separatists get to my d-daughter…”
Taking a breath, Novo stood a bit taller, trying to hold her demeanor together a bit longer, or recover what little was left.

“They will torture her in every way and method possible. Anything to make me…” Her words broke off, and the genuine horror in Novo’s eyes communicated all that needed to be said on the matter, Galen feeling an angry fire starting to burn in his chest.
“They won’t stop that until I succumb to their demands. As a queen, I must endure such horrors. As a mother, I c-cannot.” She concluded, still standing tall despite the tears in her eyes.

“Captain Galen, Knight of the Grey Order, I will pay any price for you to protect my daughter. Name the number and I will find a way to make it so. I have no other options. One of her personal guard defected to the separatist group the other day…I cannot trust anyone in my kingdom anymore.” Novo said haltingly, clearly struggling through the tumult of emotions in her heart.
“You are a good gryphon, but have many secrets, of this I know- even Celestia wouldn’t tell me. She did say that she bears blame of something, but I know not what.”

In an instant, the tense atmosphere evaporated from the room, Galen letting out a sigh and walked over to sit a bit close to Novo.
“Is she still beating herself up over all that?” He whispered, then looking up to the queen.
“Please tell Celestia there is nothing to forgive. No creature could have stopped it- and I mean no creature. She…will know what I mean.” Galen said, then sitting back and looking at her.
“What are the details of the job?”

Taking out a parchment and handing it over to Galen, Queen Novo gestured to the brief bullet points.
“It is a two-week assignment. You will kidnap her- at least in appearance, and leave traces of a few different races. Nobody knows of this, not even her. That and the misleading evidence should prevent the separatist group from drawing any conclusions it was a planned operation. For two weeks, you are to dodge the combined navy’s that search for her; the routes will be provided. After two weeks’ time, I should have a grip on fighting these fanatics with Celestia’s help.”

After reading over the notes, Galen nodded slowly. The view of a proud queen sitting in front of him had been turned on its head. Instead, a mother who happened to be queen was asking for help protecting that which was most dear to her.
“So, kidnap Sky-, erm, Princess Skystar, keep her safe for two weeks, then return her? And it says here we’ll be tasked or at least acting like, we’re mapping an area?”
“Correct. After a few days, you will take place of a current ‘ghost’ ship tasked with surveying a distant edge of our known maps. All the paperwork, maps, plans, and encryption logs are in this folder.” Novo replied, taking out a massive stack of papers.

“Encryption logs?”
“Personal phrases and ways to communicate if the separatists somehow intercept the magical parchments. I doubt it will be used, but best to have a backup.” Novo replied a bit too quickly.
“…I can’t take any chances with my daughter.” She added softly.
“My crew will require some payment- but nothing unreasonable. I personally don’t want any funds though.” Galen replied, eying the stack of notes in Novo’s claws.
“What?”
“I want your promise to hear a proposal. Specifically, I want to at least have an opportunity to propose setting up trading routes and an alliance, when the time is right at least.”

Novo blinked looking around and gesturing with a free set of talons.
“With Klugetown? Your small trading business?”
A wry smile twitched at Galen’s beak, and he drummed his claws on the floor briefly.
“We’ll discuss that when it happens. So, to sum up- the job is as follows. As detailed in the notes, kidnap Princess Skystar, leave no trace but those provided, keep her safe for two weeks while dodging patrols, the routes being provided, and then return her once the situation is stabilized. Is that correct? Can you inform me of the challenges I may encounter?”
Novo’s visage darkened briefly, the queen shaking her head.
“They will try to get to her to force me to agree. I have heard disturbing whispers concerning their group; it’s almost cult-like. Do not trust anyone outside your crew, and they will do anything to get to her.”

Galen nodded, then looking to Novo with a genuine smile. The room brightened slightly- and energy surrounded the gryphon’s claws. Bright blue runes winked into existence, looking at the pair like a circle of friends as the hummed happily. A strange sense of peace permeated the air- Novo feeling a few of her nerves starting to ease.
More runes continued to flash into sight- dozens filling the room, each bearing a complicated scribe and different purpose. Galen reared on his hind legs, gesturing to all of the magical spells and sending them slowly spinning around them.
“If you continue to doubt my abilities to keep your daughter safe Queen Novo, I hope this will ease some of your fears.” The Knight stated, still wearing a slight smile. Armor weaved itself across his frame, the strange blue arcane energy stitching together what appeared to be solid grey metal. A strange symbol adorned the center of the breastplate- three limbs grasping together in solidarity on the golden background of a shield, a hoof, clawed hand, and softer appendage of a minotaur. It was, Novo realized, the same symbol she had seen emblazoned on many of the doctor’s uniforms and the guard’s armor.

Clan head to tail in the strange armor, Galen stood up and saluted Queen Novo- a sword weaving itself into existence into a shoulder sheath.
“I accept this job- and promise to keep your daughter safe. On my honor as a Captain and Knight.” He proclaimed, Novo simply smiling as a few tears gathered in her eyes.
“Keep her safe, Knight Galen. And I wish you all the luck in the world.” She whispered, handing over the stack of papers.
-
“In two days will be the window- I dare not push things later than that. The exact times and guard positions are detailed, as are magical spells. Everything will be set for your arrival. If not, it will be easy enough to mask you and your crew as a maintenance crew or the like. I’ve got quite a few plans for that just in case.” Novo explained.
Plans upon plans…and I hope you never need them.

The runes surrounding them faded, the armor evaporating into nothingness like water in a desert. Nodding, Galen looked over the first few pages curiously.
“We will follow these to the letter, and I hope this all blows over soon.” He stated, then looking up at the queen with a slight grin.
“I have a feeling this wasn’t even close to your first way to handle things?”
Novo managed a laugh, shaking her head quickly.
“Oh goodness no. But…Celestia trusts you, and from what I’ve seen and heard now, I do too, at least as much as I can.”

Galen paused, then looking up to meet the concerned mother’s gaze.
“You don’t have a choice, do you? Between me or anyone else, it’s that bad?” He asked softly, Novo nodding briefly.
“Yes.”
“Can you tell me how bad things are?”
Novo paused, wings drooping once again.
“The situation is perilous enough both inside my kingdom and outside the borders, that Celestia has assigned ten of her legionaries to guard Gallus and Silverstream- both other members of the royal family, or about to be in Gallus’ case.”
Galen nodded, tapping the ground with a talon in thought.
“Hmm. I was wondering about those two, since they’d make ideal targets even inside Equestria.”
Novo nodded, letting out a slight sigh.
“Any wedding plans they had are being put on hold- or if I know those two, they might just want to elope for that matter. That said, such a gathering would be a perfect target, so it’s by pure luck the date they decided on was a good three months out anyway. That is how bad, Captain Galen. Celestia herself is helping me oversee this crisis, for it is not just bound to hippogriff lands. How it is all connected, we don’t know yet, but there is unrest among many nations.”

Letting out a sigh, Galen twirled magic around the stack of notes and made them vanish- likely to a magical pocket of some sort.
“I was wondering what measures were being taken for those two; it makes sense they’d be targets as well. That’s a wise move though, however unpopular. Despite being your last choice in the matter, I hope to earn your trust eventually. But for now, all I can do is offer my word. I certainly don’t want any harm to come to the Princess.”

Novo now had a smile of her own, looking at the Knight with a touch of amusement.
“In time, I hope you do. That said, she does speak of you and your talks rather fondly.”
It brought no small amount of smug satisfaction to the Queen’s heart to see Galen’s ears flick upright, his feathers fluffing ever so slightly.
Oh you are too easy Captain…

Clearly seeing her amusement, the Knight shook his head but refused to look Novo in the eye.
“I’ve only met her four times your highness.”
“Mmmhmm. A trading stop every three months or so, and you’ve talked to her for hours on end each time. And I’ve had to hear stories of far-away lands for days after over dinner.” Novo quipped, prompting a slight pink tinge to color Galen’s cheeks.
“Should I apologize? I meant no annoyance on your part.” He asked, prompting a titter from the Queen who waved a set of claws.
“Oh no. I just enjoyed seeing you squirm. I suppose it goes without saying how to conduct yourself with a Princess?” She asked, Galen standing up straighter as he nodded. A strange look came into the gryphon’s eyes-
What is that. Like anyone else, he was flustered, but now…
Sorrow?
“You need not worry about anything in those terms, Queen Novo.” He stated, a bit of a chill entering his words before the gryphon shook his head.
“Are there any other question you have?” Galen asked, Novo shaking her head curiously at the change in demeanor.
“No, I believe that covers it all. Is one day enough to prepare? If you could arrive tomorrow night at the time listed, it would put my heart at ease.

Galen drummed his claws across the floor and let out a huff, and finally a nod.
“I have planned to stop in Griffinstone- so we can restock more supplies then. You said after a few days we are to be on the mapping mission, are we to deviate from our normal actions until then? We are usually on the call for any distress beacons or quick cargo jobs.” Galen asked, and waited until Novo nodded.

“Please avoid doing anything that would seem suspect. If not taking a job or rescue mission would draw attention, then please do what would be normal for you and your crew. As odd as that seems…I fear ignoring everything would be more abnormal for your vessel than not.”
Galen let out a chuckle, nodding in agreement.
“You’d be correct. That said, I’ll make sure the Princess is safe during anything that comes up during that time, or if any interaction is needed outside my crew.” Galen added, then shaking shrugging his wings.

“Quite a roller coaster of events. You really could have just asked me.” He quipped, the queen shaking her head.
“I had to be sure. As a queen, and as a mother.” She whispered, to which the Knight nodded in agreement.
“I suppose so. I’m glad I could hopefully at least assuage your fears a bit. So, you’ll communicate with us via the personalized parchments?”
Novo nodded, handing over a small circular crystal seashell.
“If you could tap it for your magical signature, that’d be greatly appreciated. It’s the most secure method I know, but not foolproof.”
Galen did so, then drew out a bit-sized amulet from his bag. Matching the strange inscription on his armor, the metal and crystal medallion sparked with energy that flowed over it like waves.
This is powerful magic- but what could this be…
-
“I gave one of these to Celestia and Luna- You should certainly have one too.” He explained, the Queen taking the object curiously.
“It’s quite pretty, but what is it?” She asked, Galen simply smiling.
“If you find yourself in mortal danger without any means of escape, tap it three time in quick succession. It will punch through even the most hardened of magical suppression fields and transport you to safety. I cannot tell you where, but you’ll be safe. Celestia won’t tell you either.” He added, prompting the Queen to sigh.
“I don’t like so many secrets.” She muttered, prompting a shrug from the Knight.
“Neither do I, yet it is all for safety. I hope you never have to use it, but it is there just in case. You can add it to your necklace- it has a concealment spell, but I leave that all up to you.”

Galen then took a step back and bowed formally, sitting up straight to look back at the queen.
“I’ll keep your daughter safe, Queen Novo. I promise you that.”
The hippogriff Queen found her throat clogged with emotion- only as a mother could when unable to protect the one most dear to her. She nodded, and saw Galen’s eyes soften in understanding. Whipping her own magic about, Novo vanished with a flash of light.

Once she was gone, Galen looked around the room and calmly walked over to the nearest bed. Siting down with a sigh, the gryphon took a few deep breaths and stared at the floor.
“My crew is going to kill me….” He muttered, then rising to go back out into the hospital main floor and speaking into his crystal gauntlet.
“Meet me on the top floor every creature, something has come up.”


Celestia was in the middle of sipping her afternoon tea in one of the many castle lounges when a magical ball of energy manifested itself at the table. Gesturing to the guards to clear her afternoon schedule, the Alicorn couldn’t help but smile as a very flustered Hippogriff glared at her.
“I take it the meeting went well?” Celestia asked, Novo flopping down at the royal dining room table with a sigh.
“He can summon mana armor and weapons. You could have told me that instead of letting me wonder about his abilities. I didn’t know anyone still could perform that magic.”
The alicorn shook his head firmly, levitating a fresh cup of tea over to the Queen.
“No, I couldn’t have, because I promise not to- just like to not tell you where that new amulet leads. Just because he’s a gryphon of secrets doesn’t make him a bad one.”
Novo shook her head, staring at the steaming teacup.
“Celestia, there is so much you haven’t told me- and that sets me on edge. What is Galen?”
A slight chill entered the Alicorn’s gaze, prompting Novo to wince.
“What?”
“I do hope you didn’t ask him that. And you should know I can’t say anything.”

Queen Novo grumbled into her tea, shaking her head.
“I’m far from being that socially inept. I know what lines to not cross for the most part, especially when seeking help. I still find it unnerving, and yet it is done.”
Her words then prompted a warming smile from Celestia.
“I’m proud of you. You sought help instead of trying to force your own solution- that’s what wise rulers do.”

“I don’t have to like it though.” Novo muttered, Celestia refilling her cup once again.
“And yet you did it. Now, before you ask, we’re having similar troubles here to which are being dealt with, so you are not alone in this. However, let’s talk about something stupid and carefree for a few minutes before we both return to our duties, shall we?”
“…well a noble wore a giant teal hat to yesterday’s petition court, does that count?” Queen Novo asked, prompting a chuckle from Celestia.
“My dear Queen Novo, I just had a petitioner ask for more funds for his gym wearing nothing but a purple spandex vest.” The ruler stated, prompting a look from Novo.
“That’s…odd, but not out of the question.”
“It had arm-length bright pink and gold feathery tassels. All. Over. He kept swaying his body to make them move the entire time he spoke.”
Novo nearly spit out her tea at the thought, managing a smile. She then recalled Galen’s message, looking over to Celestia.

“Galen has a message for you actually.” She began, a bit surprised as the Alicorn stared.
“What?”
“’Please tell Celestia there is nothing to forgive. No creature could have stopped it- and I mean no creature. She…will know what I mean.’” Novo relayed, then looking over to see Celestia’s reaction.

To Novo’s shock, the Alabaster set down a shaking tea cup and bowed her head briefly as she took a few deep breaths. A few tears trickled from Celestia’s eyes as a weight seemed to lift from the ruler’s shoulders.
“I do know what he means, and I wish I could explain how much those words mean to me, Novo.” Celestia whispered.
“In time, I will. But thank you for that. Those words leave me with one less burden on my mind.”
The Alicorn blinked in surprise as a pink wing enveloped her, Novo giving the fellow ruler a one-limbed hug.
“I’ll take comfort in that at the very least, and won’t press things. Now then, perhaps we should break open one of the dessert vaults?”
Celestia chuckled, wiping her eyes as she nodded, the pair making their way to one of the meeting room doors.
“I fully agree. Perhaps a slice of cake and one to go?”
Novo smiled, walking the halls with her friend as the two rulers sought a moment of peace amidst the looming conflict.


Skystar watched the clouds gathered on the horizon, angry lightning bolts darting from their dark undersides to kiss the sea.
I’ve always loved thunderstorms. The power, the lightning, the rumble of thunder…both above water and below.
Her mom had been gone the entire day; something increasingly common as of late. She had handled the day court, which had been annoying to say the least, but it had at least passed the time. It had also given the hippogriff a chance to think. Something was definitely off, but Skystar still wasn’t sure what. There had been increased talks of this separatist movement- but the exact details were still fuzzy. What did they want? So far, she hadn’t been able to pinpoint it. First it was the idea to move back to Seaquestria- but now was something like a total re-inventing of who ran the kingdom.
The entire affair was unsettling, and that was an understatement. More guards were not showing up at their posts, forcing the reserves to cover areas that ordinarily had a surplus.

But where were they going? They’re defecting, but to where? Not to Seaquestria, nowhere in Mount Aris…they have to be going somewhere!
There was a soft ‘POP’ of magic from the castle family room, and soon Novo’s voice rang from the stone walls.
“Skystar? I have caaaaaaaaake.” The queen called, her daughter immediately skidding into the room.
“You visited Celestia again, huh?” Skystar asked, seeing the giant two-story chocolate monstrosity on the table.
“Maybe. She also has good advice.” Novo mused, taking off some of the icing with a claw and snacking on it.
“And good cake. Wait, is this all chocolate?” The princess chirped, taking a cake knife (that was already embedded near a mysteriously-missing chunk,) and slicing herself a piece.
“Mmmhmm. Apparently, Luna calls it the ‘chocolate monster.’” Novo chuckled, getting another slice herself as Skystar took a bite.
“Ohmygoooooooosh…”
“Careful dear, you’ll go into a sugar coma.”
The blissful look on Skystar’s face told her mother such a sacrifice would be worth it, the queen managing a smile as she sat down on a nearby bench in the family room.
“It has been one crazy day, so I thought why not cake? I’m the Queen, you’re the Princess, if we want cake, then we get it!” Novo proclaimed, Skystar letting out a giggle.
“I didn’t know you got so fired up over cake.”
“Cake specifically? No. Something to ease the passing of a stressful day? Oh dear, stay out of my way.” Novo sighed.
“That bad? Just more of the nobles and such?”

Novo nodded, trying to not think in depth about the past day in Klugetown and then Celestia’s meeting, however kind and helpful her reassurances were.
“That bad. Hmm. Tomorrow I don’t have any meetings though- perhaps we can be in the court together? I know you find it boring, but you make the time pass much faster.”

Skystar smiled, nodding as she wiped some chocolate from her beak.
“I’d like that.”
The Princess didn’t miss the dampness in the Queen’s eyes as she looked away briefly, nor the nervous tremor in her claws.
What I going on?
“Love you mom.” Skystar whispered, giving Novo a hug. The taller hippogriff’s breath seemed to catch in her chest- then quickly returning the gesture.
“Love you too Skystar. An adult or not, you’ll always be my little seaweed wrap.”

Author's Note:

Some questions are answered but more secrets abound! Getting a glimpse inside the turmoil gripping both Queen Novo as both a ruler and mother.
Now how can Galen explain to his crew about that lack of vacation time...

I left this out of the previously MASSIVE authors notes, but in terms of updates, the plan is every week, either on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. It worked pretty well with the other stories, but these chapters are longer, so that schedule may change.
Thank you all for joining this adventure, and feedback/questions are always appreciated!

(Main/Reoccurring Characters:)
Galen: Gryphon, Ship’s Captain
Gears: Hedgehog, Ship’s repair engineer
Tilly Sandfeather: Gryphon, Ship’s cannoneer/second in command.
Pergin Sandfeather: Gryphon, Ship’s accountant/cook.
Staunch Gauze: Crystal Pony, Ship’s medic.
Alabaster: Pony, Arcane Golem, ship assistant