• Published 8th Feb 2019
  • 2,647 Views, 343 Comments

Of Stars and Sails - RadBunny



When an eccentric gryphon and his for-hire crew are tasked with kidnapping a Princess for her own safety, it was sure to be an odd job. But when plans and alliances fail, no port is safe when a dagger is hidden behind every friendly smile.

  • ...
1
 343
 2,647

Chapter Eight: The Golden Rule

The Crystal Hail bucked in the sky, sending its crew bouncing around every which way.
“Sorry sir.” Alabaster muttered, Galen letting out a huff as he braced against a wall.
“Not your fault- I certainly couldn’t do any better. This storm is not a normal one indeed. What’s the status of the ship?” he asked, meandering to the main lounge. It was still very early, and the gryphon was unable to sleep. The rocking and swinging of the ship was surprisingly comforting, so that wasn’t the issue.
No. It’s the things I can’t escape which are the worst.

Galen massaged his tired eyes, flopping down onto one of the worn sofas. Thankfully, all of the furniture was either bolted down or secured with a selectable move-me-not spell. For two days the ship had been rocked and tossed along, the storm struggling to pull the vessel deeper into uncharted territory. The engines were overpowering the unnatural forces, but barely. They were moving at a snail’s pace towards a small exploratory outpost at the edge of bugbear territory, where the mountains finally flattened out slightly.

I feel bad for not talking to Skystar these two days though. But its taken everything I’ve got just to be pleasant and try to keep the ship stable when Alabaster needs a break. And then there’s the sleep, or rather lack thereof.
Rocking and tossing ships are one annoyance I can sleep though with ease. The things I have to face when my eyes close- I would rather take this storm head on than deal with that again. Ever since these blasted golden freaks reappeared…
…I need a hug.

“Sir?”
“Sorry Al.” Galen muttered, shifting to lay down slightly on the couch.
“Haven’t been sleeping well.”
“Yes. I gathered from the dagger embedded in your wall last night.”

The gryphon stared, his eyes narrowing at the Ashen. Alabaster’s tone bore no ill will however, only genuine concern as he looked back at the Captain.
“What? You-”
“Of course I knew. I appeared to give you an update, and you snapped awake from a dream and threw the blade into the wall before going back to sleep. Thankfully it phased through my shoulder, but you clearly were troubled.”

Letting out a frustrated sigh, Galen shook his head slowly.
“Sorry Al. I’m just glad I didn’t hurt you.”
The pilot was quiet for a moment, ears twitching as though listening to some unheard voice.
“It would seem Skystar is up. Shall I have her meet you here?”
“No, I’ll-” The gryphon let out an undignified squawk as the ship shifted, and the Captain promptly flopped to the floor, tired limbs refusing to respond in time.
“…Ok maybe.” he muttered with a sigh.

Apparently already having been on her way, Skystar trotted through the door as Alabaster looked over his shoulder with a nod.
“Ah, good. I’ll check in with Switch in the engine room.” Alabaster quipped, vanishing and leaving the Princess to look down at the still-prone gryphon.
“Uh, Galen? Why are you on the floor?” she asked, the Knight in question waving a set of claws.
“It’s comfy.” he grumbled, finally levering up to rest on the couch once again.

“Uh huh…”
Galen frowned, ears pinning back slightly as he looked over Skystar.
“Sorry we haven’t talked much these past two days. It’s not about what we said- about us and stuff. I probably should have said that sooner.” he muttered, scrubbing tired eyes once again. At this, Skystar moved a bit closer to sit next to the sofa, head tilting slightly.
“You’re not sleeping well still? That’s like, a week now.” she whispered softly, frowning as Galen nodded.
“Sounds about right. All I see when I close my eyes nowadays are golden ones. They’ve always been there…”
His words caused Skystar to pause, the princess wisely not pushing the matter further.
I want to tell you everything, Sky. Just not right now.

“All this stuff happening…I’d be a mess too. Everything that’s going on inside your head especially.” Skystar admitted, still looking at Galen with a worried expression on her beak, bright eyes focusing on his exhausted features.
“Can I help?”

Galen opened his beak, and then stared at his claws for a few moments. A shaky few breaths left his frame, the knight’s demeanor shifting slightly.
“A hug? You just being you helps too. I can’t ask anyone else for help, not like that.” he whispered.

Skystar was more than happy to oblige, wrapping her arms around Galen’s upper torso as he sat up slightly.
Sagging into her embrace, Galen closed his eyes and enjoyed her comforting touch as Skystar smiled.
“You already feel more relaxed.” she whispered.
“Kinda hard not to with you.”

A happy sigh was Skystar’s reply, the hippogriff’s eyes widening in surprise as Galen returned the gesture, this time resting his head on her shoulder.
“One of the few times everything goes quiet, even for a little bit.” he mumbled, cheeks heating up slightly.
I mean, it’s true. But I went from no hugs to asking for them…this is still new.

“Welllllll want to try and get some sleep? Well, not like this, but if you lay down?” Skystar suggested, and getting a shrug in reply.
“I’ll take that as a yes, because I think you’ll fall asleep in my arms if you stay here any longer.”
“Not like that be a bad place to do so…” the gryphon whispered, prompting an adorable squeak.
“Somebody warmed up to hugs it seems.”

Galen let out a slight chuckle, reluctantly shifting out of Skystar’s arms and laying flat on the sofa cushions.
“You make very persuasive arguments.”

Skystar giggled, scooting a chair closer to brace her hindquarters against in case the ship began to move again; the spell preventing the furniture from moving once she released her grip.
“So how do you plan on stayinghmmmmmm.” Galen’s words drifted off into a contented hum as Skystar leaned forward and rested her upper torso across his back, her claws smoothing down a ruffled feather or two on his head.
“Like this! Erm, is it alright?” she asked, and got a simple nod in return.
“F-feels good.” Galen sniffled, trying his hardest to not let the wave of emotion clog his throat.
When have I last felt this safe?
And why now? Why with her?
I know the answer to that, I just don’t-

“It’s ok to cry you know.” Skystar whispered, her head resting on the small of Galen’s back near his ears.
“Happens to me sometimes. Different reasons I guess, but still. Being close is a nice thing. As long as they’re happy tears at least. I hope they are.”
“With you? Of course happy.” Galen mumbled, already drifting off to sleep.
Just warm and safe. When I get up, I’ll try to explain…


Alabaster expertly sent the ship into a lighter patch of clouds, the vessel punching through into a small clear space between the unnatural storms.
“I hate this. These storms are clearly being guided. We’ll need Galen’s help soon; the lightning rods are getting fried.” The pilot grumbled as Gears nodded at his side, the two of them observing the scene from the wheelhouse.
“I replaced them with our spares- but these strikes are seeming to target them. No way it’s random. How you can guide lightning I don’t know- but a few hits on our engines, and the only direction we’ll be heading is down for an emergency landing. And that’s hoping the levitation spells and the air bladder don’t get punctured.” The hedgehog muttered, Alabaster’s ears twitching slightly.

“Well, it’s mid-morning. I can’t let the Captain sleep any longer. I need him to help us before we hit the next cell. Take the wheel for a minute, Gears.” Alabaster remarked, vanishing to re-appear in the lounge.
He couldn’t help but smile on seeing Skystar flopped across Galen’s back like a blanket, the gryphon looking actually peaceful for once.
It has been a while since I’ve seen you at rest. A shame that we put such a burden on you… Alabaster mused, trotting over to shake Skystar.
“Skystar?” He asked, the hippogriff letting out a mumble as she scrubbed sleep from her eyes.
“Bwa?”
“Can you wake Galen please? I think he’d prefer that. I need him up in the wheelhouse within the next ten minutes. It’s urgent- we’re about to hit another patch of storms.”


As Skystar nudge Galen, the Captain let out an adorable mumble, prompting a smile from the hippogriff.
My gosh. He’s even cute when sleeping. Ugh.
So. CUTE.
Skystar’s cheeks instantly lit up with warmth as Galen shifted, his cheek resting on her claws.
Her soft squeak caused his eyes to slowly open, the gryphon letting out a yawn.
“Sounded like Alabaster…” he mumbled, Skystar nodding.
“Y-yeah. He needs you up in the wheelhouse. Something about the storms.”

Galen stretched, then sitting up slightly and smoothing his half-ruffled facial feathers.
“Haven’t sleep that well in a good few weeks.” he muttered, eyes meeting Skystar’s briefly.
“Thanks.”

She could only smile, heart nearly beating out of her chest. To say Galen was huggable in the mornings was an understatement.
Apparently, such a desire was easy to read, because Galen scooted off the sofa and gave the princess a brief hug, his own grey cheeks tinging pink.
“You looked like if you didn’t get a hug, you’d lose your feathers.”

“M-maybe?”
Galen gestured to her, prompting Skystar to follow him to the main stairwell.
“Well, lets go see what Alabaster needs. The storms seemed to have subsided…”


Walking into the wheelhouse, Galen grinned as sunlight streamed through the windows. Skystar apparently shared the upbeat sentiment, gesturing to the happy sunbeams.
“The sun! Haven’t seen that in a day or….two…oh.”
Her voice drifted off as the full view of the surrounding area became evident. Just beyond the ship, black storm clouds gathered, circling the vessel like predators on a savanna.
“We are in a temporary lull, a small eye within a literal hurricane/” Alabaster explained, appearing next to Galen.

“Yeah, and we can’t take many more lighting hits. They’re charged more than usual bolts, and are burning up the rods. We’re out of replacements, both of the re-directing spires and the actual circuitry to divert it to the core.” Gears chimed in, prompting Galen to sigh.
“I can help with that…where are the others?”

“Getting you lot fed before the storm hits again.” Pergin grumbled, setting out a lovely tray of still-steaming meat-pastry concoctions as he slid onto the bridge.
“It’s hard enough to cook with those storms. So, eat up before I batten everything down again. Staunch and Tilly are double-checking our supplies and maps. We’re an hour or so from a larger settlement. There’s a medium sized one that’s closer, but even so, with that lightning…”

Munching down the quick meal, Galen grinned as he gestured to the storm.
“Oh. I can handle things for an hour. First though, I need to address something that should have been taken care of two days ago.”

Tapping his gauntlet, Galen broadcast his words to the two crewmembers down below as he spoke.
“I apologize for not explaining this all from the start. I meant to explain about these golden-eyed individuals, but these past two days have been…difficult. I guess I thought the less you knew, the better. I suppose I-”
“Captain, you have every reason to not be clear in the head with these freaks around. Just tell us, what are the stakes?” Tilly’s voice cut in, prompting a snicker from Gears as Galen grinned, head shaking slightly.

“And once again I underestimate my crew’s capacity to tolerate me. Alright then these golden-eyed creatures are not supernatural. They are simply known as the Golden Strand, and we thought their numbers were nonexistent until recently. Their magic requires regular and brutal rituals to sustain, so we assumed they died off after their work in Anthracite. The similarity in terms of politics is rather striking to their attack two decades ago. Anthracite was about to de-centralize its power base, delegating it to a council as opposed to a king. Queen Novo was about to do the same before these creatures attacked. If I had to hazard a guess, something about not having a single ruler to influence jeopardizes their existence.” Galen mused, wings shrugging slightly.

“Other than that, what little we do know is this. Some sort of entity influences them- that’s the golden eye glow. It gives them heightened strength and regenerative capacities. Other than that, I really don’t know much about them, and neither do the Ashen.”

Alabaster nodded, Ley appearing at his side to observe. The odd Kirin now indeed sported armor, a breastplate covering her chest as some small angular pauldrons rested on her shoulders.
“These creatures almost wiped us out; but they don’t know how ineffective their efforts were. They believe us to number in the hundreds, and their original intent was total genocide. Luckily, they were mistaken.” Al remarked with a grin, Ley hopping up and down happily.

“If we encounter these freaks, I intend to keep as much as possible hidden from them. If they want to continue to believe the Ashen are nearly gone? All the better- because a cocky enemy is an easily manipulated one. And right now, they are just that. They are worried about me, I suppose, simply because of my connection with Anthracite.” Galen explained.

“But how much they know, I am unsure. If I had to guess; they know that I escaped, and have an Ashen or two aboard. They are hard to kill- but not impossible. So, the name of the game is deception. If we can swing it, we’ll say we dropped off Skystar else-ware. If they see through it, and we have to fight, go for excessive force.” Galen stated flatly, eyes narrowing slightly.

“Don’t just slice their chest or neck. Take off their heads, lop off their limbs. I don’t know how potent their magic is; because all we know was from years ago, and everyone was in a blind panic.”

He paused, glancing over to Skystar.
“Sky? If we encounter them…you have your backstory to stick to. Gears will set you up with some equipment if that fails.”
“I finally get to see the armory?!” Skystar squeaked, prompting Gears to cackle.
“Oh, you know how to pick them Captain! So many options, can I-”
“Set her up as you see fit, Gears. Mostly defensive ones, and then anything she feels capable to handle. I trust her to not overestimate things.” Galen replied, eyes meeting Skystar’s briefly. The princess nodded firmly; and while still ecstatic at getting to see the more destructive odds and ends, could certainly understand the gravity of the situation.

“I know what I’m best at. I’ve had a few combat courses.”
“I hope it won’t come to that, but just in case, we’ll ensure some backup plans.” Galen replied, then looking out the window at the clouds.
“Hmm. Show time?”

Ley now pranced next to the gryphon, gesturing outside excitedly before standing at Skystar’s side.


“Huh. She seems excited.” Skystar mused, Gears then prodding Skystar’s forelimb with a grin as Galen trotted out to the open space of the ships deck.
“She always likes when Galen gets to show off, not sure why. And I haven’t seen him this relaxed in a while…” the engineer grinned, prompting Skystar to shove him aside.
“We just slept togeth-ok not like that, don’t you dare take that out of context. He’s just super stressed, and I helped as best I can, being a blanket.” Skystar explained, Gears’ cheeky grin fading rather quickly.

“Yeah, every-creature could see it. Jokes aside, I’m glad he’s back to somewhat normal. This golden eye thing really is messing with him…”
Gears’ words trailed off as Galen stood on the deck, stretching as the gryphon began to draw runes in the wood, symbols beginning to float around his body.
“Hey Gears?” Skystar asked, eyes narrowing slightly as a few questions rose to the fore. They seemed minor, but she knew that there was a larger weight behind the answer than Galen was telling.
“When the messages from my mom were slowed down, how did he know to speed them up? And why did these Golden Strand cultist want to kill all the Ashen? That seems to be separate from the politics. There’s some stuff that doesn’t add up.”

Gears’ own brow furrowed, the hedgehog shrugging.
“I don’t know. He hasn’t told any of us something like that.”
Skystar didn’t miss how Ley’s ears were pricked, the kirin turning slightly to listen to their conversation. Catching Skystar’s eye, Ley shook her head firmly.
Don’t push, got it. At least she knows that I know- maybe then I’ll get some answers in time.

Skystar nodded to Ley in understanding, then watching as the ship slowly moved forwards.
No, we’re not moving forward- the clouds are coming at us!
“Time is up captain! I’ll run the engines as hot as I can to get us to the settlement!” Alabaster called, Galen then waving.
“Understood.”

Darkness then enveloped the ship, yet despite being inside of a cloud, the rain was surprisingly light. A strange unnatural illumination glowed from all sides, giving the scene a disturbing twilight effect.
The entire deck flashed, a bolt of lightning snacking out from the left side of their view. Aiming directly at the ship’s support, the strike of energy jumped hungrily at the exposed structure-
and was sent zipping off harmlessly between the two supports.

Skystar blinked, the scene having happened too fast for her to see clearly. Galen had…moved?
As another bolt lunged at the ship from the prow, time slowed slightly- and Skystar felt a familiar nudge of Ley’s magic encompassing her.

Galen spun on his hind paws, reaching out his left claws to meet the bolt of pure energy in slow motion. Licking along his frame, the lightning traveled up through his arm, chest, and then discharging harmlessly out of his right hand.
“He can redirect LIGHTNING?!” Skystar sputtered, time resuming its normal flow as Gears chuckled.
“It took a slowing spell for us to see it, thanks to Staunch, but yep! I don’t know how he can react so fast, but he does. Otherwise, those hits would saturate the magical circuity. Ordinarily we can direct the lightning into the ship’s mana core; but these bolts are different. They fry it all.”
Staunch? So, he didn’t notice Ley….?

Another bolt was sent flying past the wheelhouse, causing the occupants to flinch. They had barely recovered when another zipped across the deck; the bolts now speeding up in their frequency. Galen seemed to move towards the wheelhouse, now standing to their left towards the stern
“Alabaster? They’re aiming for the engines. Is there anything on our detector screen?”
Gears took a brief look at the crystal display, the magical spells still operating at full power.
“A weird eddy in one of the clouds, but nothing abnormal. Huh…ok, well the eddy just moved.”
Another succession of lightning bolts screamed out of the clouds, one of them now scorching the deck as Galen tried to handle two at once.
“We’re being followed. That’s how they are able to target us so well. Alabaster, get us down, NOW! I can handle one at a time, but two or three at once is beyond me.”

The ship dipped down, even as Galen continued to try and redirect the angry strikes, each bolt getting closer and closer to the engines.

“Cut the power! We’re going to get-”
Galen’s words were punctuated by a tremor that shook the ship even as Gears turned off the arcane thrusters, the hedgehog wincing as a few red lights flared across the dashboard.
“Well that’s not good…” he muttered.


“We’re breaking through! I can see a decent settlement…CAPTAIN!” Pergin called from the wheelhouse railing, a telescope in his claws.
“Something is going on. There’s a lot of activity down there- and an airship has landed on the outskirts. There’s a weird yellow glow…uh oh.”

A low growl reached Skystar’s ears as Galen sent another lightning bolt rocketing back into the clouds- this one causing a strange flare of light from within.
“Well I think I set the chase ship on fire. Not that it matters, they got what they wanted. We’re landing.” Galen hissed, then ducking inside.
“Gears, get Skystar geared up in the armory; actually, everyone get set.”

As Alabaster guided the wounded vessel down, Skystar followed the crew into one of the few rooms she hadn’t yet seen. Located near the prow of the ship in-between two supply closets, the armory door swung open on well-oiled hinges.
“Whoaaaa.” the princess whispered, eyes wide as she took in the incredible sight. Weapons of all types and sorts lined the walls, ranging from swords, crossbows and spears, all the way up to ornate daggers, throwing knives, and even a massive flail.

“Attach these onto all of our weapons Gears. I thought we’d have more time, so I couldn’t make more.” Galen whispered, handing over a strange set of small gems to the hedgehog. With a soft grunt, the engineer snagged a tinted face mask and began to weld, sparks flying from two mana-powered crystal devices as he immediately set the gems into each of the crew’s weapons.

“Those contain a powerful counter-spell. It should make sure these creeps stay dead, or at least decrease their regeneration abilities.” Galen explained, watching as the crew continued to gear up. Tilly slung her broadsword over her back as her husband slotted in daggers to shoulder holsters. Gears buckled on his odd arm and foot blades, while Staunch set her hooves into a pair of matching spiked gauntlets.

“Minimal armor. I’ll handle that.” Galen explained, prompting a strange chuckle from Gears.
“Ooooh, going custom for this? I always liked the feel of that stuff.”

Despite his cavalier words, Skystar could feel the tension emanating from the crew. As she eyed some daggers, Gears handed her two of the weapons- each set with a sheath that placed the blades on the inside of her forelimbs.
“Skystar, do you know how to use these? Anything else here that looks more your style?” Gears asked, the hippogriff nodding.
“Yeah, and these will work. I don’t feel comfortable using much else, not like this.” she explained, and got a curt not in return.

“Alabaster? Signal the Rangers. I don’t think we’ll need their help, but make sure they are on standby, and inform the council.” Galen instructed.
“Aye sir.”
The Rangers? Who….?
The perplexed looks of the others reaffirmed Skystar’s suspicions. Galen was playing the entire encounter very close to the chest- clearly leaving a few things up his sleeve.
Not that I blame him. These freaks killed his family, no wonder he needs to be secretive.

“Skystar, your disguise.” Pergin whispered, prompting the hippogriff to nod and activate the enchantment.
“Eh. I prefer the hippogriff version.” Galen mused, prompting Skystar to blush even through the tension.
“Setting down in about one minute. There appears to be a crowd gathering. Mostly griffins, a few ponies…all of them have golden eyes. There is a collapsed building next to the landing site; civilians are there, digging at the rubble.” Alabaster reported, prompting a growl from Galen.
“We have the upper claw here. They don’t know how much we know. So, I’ll try to stall. If any of you can, try to help the civilians, but it might be a ploy.”

The crew nodded, Galen letting out a sigh as he looked around at them.
“I couldn’t have asked for a better crew. You’re more of a family to me though. I am sorry that I’ve concealed so much from you, but it was all from a desire to keep you safe.” Galen said, his wings sagging slightly.
“You all have trusted me thus far- I ask you to keep trusting me. Nobody is dying today, not anyone from my ship at least!” he added, receiving a few nods in return.
“Priority is to keep Skystar safe. If we can bluff our way out of it, all the better. Worst case scenario, we fight to get her clear. If you can break free, hide in the mountains and soldiers from Anthracite will find you. Stay behind me at first, but she’s the priority. Alabaster? Charge the capacitors to critical, and activate the counter spell.” Galen continued.
“And target me with the emitters, set to emergency output levels. I want them to burn out from overuse. But do not fire until I say so.”
“Sir?! Aye.”

Alabaster didn’t pose any more argument, despite the exclamation.
“Alright. Let’s go meet these creeps. We’re just pleasant traders after all.”
As they left the armory, Skystar saw Galen linger, strapping on a strange gauntlet to his right arm. There were six tubes arrayed in a circular fashion, each about the size of her claw, and having a small activation crystal at the back of the metal assembly.
Huh. Odd…

As every creature stood on the main deck, the Crystal Hail settled down with a soft thump, a gangplank extending out to the ground. There was indeed a crowd of creatures to greet them, standing in a line outside the dull grey stone dwellings. The buildings behind them were pockmarked with spell impacts, the few dozen dwellings clearly having been scorched from the sky. The forty or so individuals in front of the crew all had a familiar glow to their eyes, while the ten or so ponies and gryphons to the right of the ship were still frantically digging through the rubble of a collapsed stone structure.

“Go assist them.” Galen hissed, gesturing to his right. Tilly and Pergin bounded off. A single figure broke from the creepy battle line of opponents, the large gryphon sauntering closer. Tan and grey feathers patterned his entire body in a pattern that almost hurt to look at. His torso was like a shifting prairie field, while grey splotches seemed to move from his flanks to his arms like a fluid.
“Shame about the building, but we needed a bit more leverage.” The gryphon called out, his disturbing entourage having followed to be within earshot of the crew’s location.
“I doubt your crew will be able to free them, not until we are finished here. So, Captain Galen, let us get down to business. You did destroy my scouting vessel after all. You have Princess Skystar in your possession- that gryphoness over there I assume. You can simply address me as ‘Ambassador’ for now.” he mused, prompting Skystar to shiver.

“Now then, we are prepared to make an offer twenty times whatever you were promised. Half immediately paid, the other half once we leave with the Princess.”
Galen nodded, and Skystar saw a few of his feathers starting to prickle. Something seemed off.

“And if I refuse?” he asked, tone cautious and rather guarded, as though unsure what to think.
“Well, if you accept, you are free to help those civilians over there, and the Princess will be transported away without harming a single feather on her head in the process. If you refuse however, that building will collapse further and kill every-creature there, and as for the Princess, we’ll take her by force, and I can’t guarantee she’ll arrive to her destination… unsullied.” The gryphon chuckled, and more than a few of the opposing creatures grinned slightly.
“Furthermore, if you try to fight, the four airships on their way will provide a bit more lethal encouragement. Fight us, and then the eighty on those ships? I don’t think so. So, do we have a deal?”

“I cannot make an agreement with a creature I don’t even know.” Galen replied, and Skystar saw the odd gryphon gesture to the air, and then take a sweeping bow. A series of gold bracelets chimed from his wrist, a silver necklace now visible around his neck.
“Ah but of course, it’s only fair. How rude of me, I am Vintag, the-”
I. Know. You.

Galen’s voice bellowed across the open space, having dropped a few octaves. The gryphon’s eyes were narrowed to slits, and blue sparks of energy began to snap and crackle from his frame. His entire body was like a spring- a simple touch libel to set the gryphon off.
“I’m…sorry?” Vintag replied, head tilting curiously.
“I don’t believe we’ve met….”

You dare wear her bracelets; trophies?!” Galen hissed, prompting the Golden Strand individual to look at the ornaments curiously, then returning to stare at Galen.
“What do you mean, her? You knew the royal family then? I mean I assumed your family were advisors…”

Still staring at the bracelets, Galen’s limbs began to quiver.
And then he laughed.
Tearing from his throat to echoed across the barren ground, the sound lacked any mirth, any shred of happiness. Skystar’s heart rose to her throat as she caught sight of Galen’s face. Even as tears flowed from his eyes, the gryphon still laughing at the ‘ambassador,’ nearly bent double with the effort.
It was the laugh of a creature who had lost everything, and now was being forced to stare into the past…and likely the dead.

“You have no idea, do you?” Galen asked, the maniacal laugh subsiding. A good ten of the opposing creatures had taken a step back from the unstable gryphon, the Captain’s claws now clenched into fists.
“You get nothing. You will not lay a claw on Skystar, or any member of my crew. You will find nothing but death here.” he hissed, Vintag’s eyes now narrowing.
“Who are you?”

Galen then paused, and Skystar could have sworn she saw the outline of Ley appear out of the corner of her eye and nod to him.
“His name. You must know that, right? That creature infesting every one of your minds, it knows of course. The name of the royal family, the Prince’s name, specifically. Take that name. Translate it to old equestrian…” Galen was now shivering, a flurry of emotions filling his eyes. Ever so briefly, he looked back to Skystar- and she saw fear.
Of these creatures?

“Old equestrian name, right? Now to the minotaur dialect. You still with me?” Galen asked, Vintag growing rather impatient.
“Yes, yes, what does that solve?”
“And now back to Equestrian.” Galen hissed, his eyes glowing an unnatural blue.
“G’…ai….’lan…G’ai’lan, wait. No, that’s not possible.” Vintag whispered, taking a step back in seeming horror.

“I wonder. Will you be as terrified as your brother when I killed him?” Galen whispered, limbs now shaking even more. With a snap of his claws, Galen then gestured to his crew- a familiar dark armor weaving around their torso’s. Breastplates and gauntlets adorned each of the crew- a simple chest plate weaving around Skystar’s torso as well.

Around his own, however, the charcoal breastplate bore a new symbol. Set around a dark blue jewel, a tangle of golden fibers seemed to catch it in a mesh.
That’s the Royal Family Crest. Wait.
…Galen? You-you can’t be-
The dark armor weaving around his limbs and torso, Galen began to walk forwards, now standing between his crew and the bakers-dozen cultists. Metal gauntlets adorned his wrists, and his flanks were clad in a simple barding that latched from his breastplate down his spine.
“No. You’re dead! We saw the body!” Vintag hissed, drawing a sword from his belt.
Galen chuckled, a dark sound that sent a shiver down Skystar’s spine. His demeanor was now predatory, eclipsing his opponent’s previous bravado. It was a side of Galen she had never seen- never wanted to see.
Yet it’s a side of him all the same.

“I used half of your brother’s body to make the fake corpse. A difficult spell, especially when you’re just a hatchling. It didn’t last long, but long enough it seems.” Galen whispered, a short sword spinning into existence in his claws.
“How does it feel, murderer, to know you have so little a time to live? I still remember your face, from two decades ago, my sibling’s blood still wet on your claws.” The gryphon hissed, words causing Vintag to shiver slightly. The Golden individual then let out a huff, and gestured to his supporting troops.

“This changes nothing, Prince Galen! You are alone, with naught but perhaps three Ashen on your ship, and your crew as well. You will all die within moments.” Vintag remarked, prompting five sets of familiar eyes to turn to Galen.
“Hold up, Prince?!” Gears muttered, the hedgehog letting out a sigh.
They didn’t know.
Nobody did…
Galen, is that why-

“Then why do you wait?” Prince Galen asked, rearing on his hindquarters as runes flickered into the air around his body. Tapping his gauntlet a few times, the gryphon’s body flashed- a spell deactivating that encompassed his entire being. Grey crest feathers burned away to reveal a bright blue pattern, and matching colors began to appear on his shoulders, flanks and forelimbs.
Wait. That was a disguise?!

Vintag hesitated, attention drawn as Tilly called over- either oblivious to the goings-on or purposefully distracting the two.
“I’ve got eight adults trapped here Captain- the ones digging with me, it’s their kids!”
Eyes narrowing at Vintag, Galen waved casually and sent a blue barrier shimmering into existence around the opposing group, then turning his attention to Tilly.
“You still use the innocent for your gain. Yet more blood on your hide.” he muttered.
Skystar blinked- and Galen was standing at the gryphoness’s side a ship-length or two away. From his previous position.
How did he move so fast!?

As a single cry pierced through the stalemate, things finally clicked into place for the hippogriff as Galen surrounded the ruble with a magical aura.
“Mamma!”
Slices appeared in his frame, and blue energy bled through from under his flesh as the Prince levered two massive stone slabs upright, sending them collapsing to the side harmlessly as the parents were freed.
Children, seeming to watch their parents die.
The avalanche, and now this building collapse.
Galen, did you watch as-

“Really? A shield? This will not hold us.” Vintag scoffed, scoring the magical wall with a talon.
“Who said it was meant to contain you?” Galen asked softly, trotting over to stand nearly beak to beak with Vintag.
“Then what? Delay? I’ve had enough of this.” The Golden sighed, gesturing to his troops.
“Kill them all. Leave the grey gryphoness though- that’s the Princess.”


A series of crossbow bolts snapped out- a few of them making it through the barrier. When but a short pace from the crew gathered at the end of the gangplank, the projectiles stopped- held mid-air by a green glow.
Yet Staunch’s horn wasn’t alight.
Galen smiled grimly, the freedom to speak having lifted a twenty-year burden from his shoulders.
No more secrets.
No more running.

“You said I was alone, didn’t you, Murderer.” Galen asked, claws kneading into the stony ground.
“You sense it, don’t you? Something off, something you don’t understand?”
“Shut up…” Vintag growled, setting his claws on the blue shield to dispel it, golden energy eating away at the arcane barrier.

As soon as the barrier was down, Vintag found a set of claws around his throat- two hateful blue eyes boring into his own.
“Your brother nearly did kill me. But I wasn’t alone- I never have been.” Galen hissed, ducking a swipe from Vintag’s sword as the gryphon managed to scramble free.
That’s right. Let it sink in.

A dozen gryphons bounded along the outskirts of the rocky field, flanking the crew on either side. One reared back for a thrust with his spear, even as Staunch’s horn now flickered with magic.
The gryphon let out a gasp- a sparking green hoof punching through his chest wall. Ripping her limb free, Ley spin mid-air and bucked the gryphon in the face, causing the creature’s head to fold in on itself, golden magic leaking into the air like pollen shaken from a tree.
The second closest gryphon paused- but all he got for the action was a choked scream. Lashing out with a forelimb, Ley cut through the gryphon’s neck as though blades were attached to her arm, the Kirin’s eyes aglow with power. Her mane now flickering with flames, the Kirin trotted next to Galen and growled, the army taking a full step back.

“The Ashen Guardian!? We killed that witch!” Vintag gasped, shaking his head.
“You thought you did, just like me.” Galen replied, watching as ten combatants moved forward on either side. A few stayed behind Vintag, the others flanking both the Prince and then moving towards the crew.
Thank you, Ley. There for me as always.

The golden ‘dust’ that had leaked from the bodies now coalesced into a large form, appearing to be that of a hulking gryphon. Pupil-less eye stared hatefully at Ley as a deep rumble left its throat.
“You dare challenge me?”
Judging from how the golden-eyed congregation was bowing their heads, Galen had a pretty good idea of what this creature was.
I didn’t think I’d meet you, not yet.
I won’t waste this chance! But first comes the smaller snake!

Before he could even consider attacking however, Ley jumped into the air, her rear hooves bucking the golden gryphon’s beak clean off its face, golden dust then coalescing back into form.

The two then were locked into a brutal grappling match, barely visible behind a white barrier of light as the two entities struggled to deliver mortal wounds to the other. From what Galen could see, they were evenly matched…
Let me get rid of this filth, Ley- then I’ll join that fight!
The head of the snake- if I can cut that off…

Vintag now rushed the Prince- others of his crew seeming emboldened by the appearance of the golden giant. Despite being a good decade senior, the Golden gryphon’s reflexes nearly matched Galen’s, their swords clashing with bone-shattering force.
The world was muted for Galen, the only thing in his view was the creature in front of him. Past and present mixed together- and he could still see claws dripping with blood, even as Vintag chuckled and nudged his brother.
‘Three hatchlings. Easy. You find the brat yet?’

Galen dodged a strike, and then let a furious cry rip from his beak. Forgoing the weapon, he slammed his clawed fist into Vintag’s beak, sending the gryphon to the ground. The mindless roar that left Galen bore with it an untold amount of pain and agony.
You deserve so much more than a quick death!

Vintag managed to snag something from around his waist- reaching up to bury a dagger into Galen’s torso, then kicking the gryphon off of him.
Standing up and looking down, Galen stared at the golden-tinted dagger in his chest, blinking curiously.
Well. I suppose it had to happen.

Vintag chuckled, lowering himself into a combat stance once again.
“You must be part Ashen- that’s why we can’t seem to understand your magical signature, and also why you’re still alive.” he mused, prompting Galen to yank out the dagger.
“Oh, this will be fun. I get to dispose of an Ashen hybrid and avenge my brother in one fell swoop? I didn’t think-”

The gryphon’s words were cut off as a bolt of blue energy ate into his face, searing away flesh and feathers as he let out a choked scream. Golden magic quickly rejuvenated him, but the pain still lingered as Vintag stared at the prince.

“Perhaps now you’ll know why the criminals of the Badlands call me the Blue Demon.” Galen hissed, stepping forward slowly. The ground ignited at the gryphon’s touch, blue flames now licking up Galen’s frame. Feathers and flesh burned away, revealing a body underneath that sparked and shimmered with arcane energy. A much more visible scar ran from Galen’s left shoulder to his waist, the Ashen now standing on his hindquarters to confront the quailing Vintag. Energy pulsed through his veins as the Ashen glared at his opponent, claws half extended towards the Golden gryphon.

“Now do you get it, you murderous coward?” Galen hissed, summoning a blade and sending it ripping into the other gryphon’s chest.
“You can’t kill me, not like before. You had your chance twenty years ago, and you lost it!
Galen jumped at Vintag, slamming the gryphon into a stone wall. His claws dug into Vintag’s chest, talons puncturing feathers and flesh with ease. The gryphon let out a screech, but his attempts at getting Galen to release his grip were for naught.
I’ve waited twenty years to avenge them! You aren’t leaving this place alive!

“Ah and you’re the nexus for this group! I wonder how many of them will burn with you?” Galen growled, a blue glow surrounding the gryphon’s claws.

Vintag’s golden eyes widened- and for a moment, a darker magic seemed to seize control as a familiar deep voice seemed to take notice. Even as the fight between Ley and the Golden one continued, the entity appeared to be disturbed by Galen’s words.
“No.” The gryphon muttered, voice strangely distorted.
“Oh yes.” Galen hissed, Vintag now letting out an unnatural scream as the five nearest gryphons suddenly clutched their heads in pain.
Pouring energy into his claws, Galen’s eyes narrowed as golden magic bled from each of the gryphon’s eyes, his counter-spell infesting Vintag’s connection with the golden entity.
The five other gryphons collapsed to the ground and seemed to deflate, their bodies turning to ash as the golden magic used to sustain them was broken and dispersed, while Vintag simply glared at Galen.
“You still haven’t won.” he growled, as Galen summoned another blade in his claws and sending it slashing across Vintag’s throat.
It stopped at the skin with a high pitch ‘PING’, causing the trapped individual to chuckle. Metal vertical bars of metal were barely visible under Vintag’s feathers, no doubt grafted there for this very purpose.
“Try again.” He gurgled, even as Galen tightened his hold.
“I’ll heal from any wound you give me! Tear my throat out and watch as I laugh!” Vintag added, a maniacal smile starting to spread across my beak.
Galen swung again- and after getting a similar result to before, the gryphon adjusted his grip.
“Besides, looks like your princess is out of time!” the Golden creature added, glancing over behind Galen with a malicious grin.
Eyes widening in rage, Galen angled his arm so a metal tube lined up with Vintag’s head, then slapping it with his free claws-
Regenerate from this!
BOOM!’

The resulting explosion caused every-creature to pause- those closest to clutch their ears in pain at the shockwave that emanated from Galen’s wrist.
Shock and horror still plastered on Vintag’s features, the gryphon slid to the ground as golden magic struggled to restore his vital functions. Ultimately, such efforts were in vain as a grapefruit-sized circle was missing from his cranium.

Four gryphons and two ponies now began to circle Galen, the gryphon panting and trying to take a few deep breaths. They were clearly hesitant to engage him, and a few even appeared to backpedal.
It’s not over, not yet!
A circular shield weaving into existence on his left arm and a sword appearing in his right claws, the Knight let out a bellow as he charged the nearest gryphon who dared to take a few steps forward, cleaving the creature’s chest nearly in half. Seeing a distant fight start to unfold, Galen closed his eyes for a moment and let his arcane form fragment.

Reappearing closer to the ship, the Knight let out a bellow as he tackled the nearest gryphon and pinned him to the ground with his sword- another detonation removing the hapless creature’s face.


*A few minutes prior*
Skystar swallowed nervously as Ley engaged the other creature, Galen appearing to not seem too concerned of how outnumbered they were. Tilly and Pergin were a short distance away, herding the group of civilians close to the landed Crystal Hail.
To use children and parents as leverage; so that’s how far these creatures will go.
“Stay close to us Skystar, just here near the gangplank.” Gears muttered, examining the black armor that encased his body. A helmet circling his head, the hedgehog now looked like a prickly ball of metal and blades. The other members of the crew had a similar setup, the lightweight metal seeming to mold to their body. Her own breastplate was comforting- not inhibiting Skystar’s movement in the slightest, but having enough weight as to prevent grievous injury.
It certainly wasn’t a bad look to any of them.
“If we get overwhelmed, get back to the ship; Alabaster can keep you safe there, but that’s a last resort.”

Nodding briefly, Skystar scooted back behind Staunch and Gears, still in shock by the words that had reached her ears.
You’re the Prince, Galen? That’s the secret you’ve been hiding?
Yet through the disbelief, Skystar couldn’t help but feel her heart ache as Galen let out a mindless scream, beating Vintag back with a series of blows that would have broken bone on any other creature.
A choked gasp left Skystar’s features as Galen’s opponent stabbed him with a dagger, her favorite gryphon wincing as the weapon buried itself into his chest.
No…
Wait.
As Galen yanked the blade out, and as his disguise burned away, Skystar’s beak dropped open in shock. All the small pieces of the puzzle that she had been struggling to put together now were lay out in completion. The speaking of the Prince, the strange looks, the hesitation…
You’re the Prince, and an Ashen.
And yet…

Overriding the surprise, the slight betrayal, and the complete confusion was a simple warm glow in Skystar’s heart. She knew now why there was all the secrecy, yet Galen had clearly struggled to not openly lie.
‘If I have to hide something, I do so with partial truths. I don’t want to lie to those I care about unless I have no other choice’ His words came flooding back, prompting a slight smile to itch at Skystar’s features.
He never wanted to, but opened up to me as much as he could.
Or more. This is what he was so scared about…yet trusted me all the same.

Skystar was yanked back to reality as a group of gryphons surrounded the three; Staunch promptly sending a bolt of magic through one of their skulls before the others wised up and raised a forelimb in defense. A strange shimmering golden cloth was wrapped around their limbs- and judging from how Staunch’s next bolt glanced off the partial shield that snapped into place, provided some sort of anti-magic barrier.
Well. Good thing we all have physical weapons.

Gears darted forward- arm blades lashing out and sending two gryphons to the ground, their front and rear limbs nearly severed by his strikes. As he jumped on the back of one, burying his arcane skates into the creature’s skull, Staunch galloped forward and delivered a punch with her bladed gauntlet to the other. Both strikes caused golden magic to flash from the impact sites- but a few repeated blows and that quickly ceased.
So, they’re hard to kill- but lethal blows are still…well, lethal. Just takes a few of them.

The remaining ten or so gryphons now fanned out, each sporting a blade that they balanced in expert claws. The first two had paid a heavy price- but now their sacrifice had taught their fellows who they were dealing with. Skystar reached her claws to grab the handle of a dagger hidden under her arm as they slowly inched forwards.

One of the gryphons chuckled, gesturing to his fallen brethren.
“And that is why you don’t underestimate your opponents. Learn from that.” He quipped, then grinning at Skystar.
“Last chance. If you-”

A flash of light cut off the gryphon’s words, Galen’s form weaving together to the group’s left. Letting out a rage-filled growl, Galen promptly tackled and skewered the nearest gryphon with his sword. A shockwave filled the air once again, the odd device on Galen’s wrist blowing away most of the creature’s head.
“Who’s next?!” He hissed, the seven remaining creatures turning their attention to the Prince.
“You four, handle him. We’ll get the Princess and leave.” Their leader growled, then darted towards Skystar, brutally batting aside Gears to send the hedgehog tumbling into one of the other attackers.

Staunch was promptly occupied by two gryphons who ran forward, separating her from Skystar as the hippogriff began to backpedal towards the ship’s gangplank-
Oh no.
Another gryphon had managed to sneak around behind her, now trapping Skystar between the leader of the group and himself.
Fear ate its way into Skystar’s bones, and the Princess forced herself to take deep breaths.
Just like training. I didn’t bother those guards back at home for nothing!
And these are the creeps trying to hurt me, my mother, Galen…my home!

Eyes narrowing, Skystar drew both her daggers, prompting the lead gryphon to pause, the black and tan-speckled individual letting out a laugh.
“Careful Princess. Those are sharp.” He chuckled, taking another step forward, reaching a set of claws up to grab Skystar’s arm.
“Put those down, and we won’t-YEARRRG!”
He let out a bellow of pain as Skystar lashed out with the daggers- slicing his arm to the bone and burying the other weapon into his neck. Ripping the dagger free, Skystar buried one of the daggers into the gryphon’s chest, sliding it between the ribs and into his heart. The remaining weapon hacked at the gryphon’s arm until he retreated a step or two.
“Oh…we’ll make sure you pay for that.” He hissed, golden magic weaving his arm back together slowly. Sparks of magic also buried themselves into his chest, the gryphon yanking out the dagger with a grunt.

“Rather impressive. An inhibiting spell…” He mused, and Skystar let out a shriek as the gryphon behind her dashed forwards, kicking her to the ground and pinning her arm, the dagger grasped helplessly in useless talons.
“Right. Now let’s-”
The unlucky gryphon let out a gasp as he took a step forwards, a glowing blue blade piercing through his leather armor from the rear.
“You will not touch her!”Galen hissed, spinning and severing the gryphon’s head with a blow from his sword. The creature pinning Skystar was tackled off of her, the Golden letting out a shriek as Galen dispatched it with another series of hacking strikes. The remaining gryphons rounded on him-
And fell to the ground with screams of pain, energy arcing from Galen’s claws to burn holes in armor, flesh, and bone.

“G-galen.” Skystar whispered, retrieving her daggers with shaking claws as Staunch trotted closer, having finally handled the two gryphons occupying her. A few slashes adorned her flank, indicating it hadn’t been a smooth fight in the slightest.

Galen’s head snapped towards Skystar, and his blue eyes, filled with rage and sorrow, seemed to refocus on her briefly. To the hippogriff’s surprise, he ran over and gave her a hug, a single whisper making Skystar’s heart flutter.
“More of this later when you’re safe.”

He then paused- eyes starting to cloud over once again. Following his gaze, Skystar saw Galen focused on the ball of light that encompassed Ley and the Golden guardian.
Wait, are you seriously going to-
The fact Galen was dashing towards the event answered her question, and Skystar was left with Staunch as the two backed onto the gangplank. Alabaster was visible at the top of the ship- indicating why no more creatures were venturing forwards. Gears was still fighting- the diminutive hedgehog darting in and out a group of five gryphons. Nearby, Tilly and Pergin were also holding their own- protecting the rescued townsfolk from a similarly sized group.

As Galen neared the ball of light, Skystar saw Ley tossed a short distance away, the Kirin smacking into a rock as she struggled back to her hooves.
Why Skystar didn’t expect, was for Galen to tackled the massive golden gryphon with a roar- punching the magical creature with his bare claws.


“You dare!” The Guardian bellowed, smacking Galen aside with a set of talons as Ley struggled to stay awake. She gestured towards Galen, but the gryphon shook his head.
Ley, you’ve done enough. This one is mine.

“No. You stay there. I’ll handle this monster.” He hissed to the Kirin, prompting a laugh from the golden behemoth, easily twice Galen’s size.
Handle me? You dare even speak to me in such a tone?” the Golden gryphon hissed, rearing on his hindquarters as magic gathered in his claws.
“You think to ‘handle’ a god? My servants are innumerable, and you have tasted but a sliver of my power. You will fall like all the rest of Anthracite and your kind.” he continued, prompting Galen to chuckle darkly.
“A god?” he asked, his own magic wrapping around outstretched talons.
This creature thinks itself a god?
We will see.

“You are no ‘god.’ I’ve met a goddess before, monster.”
Galen jumped forwards, latching onto the gryphon’s arcane frame with claws and talons as he buried one of his arms into the creature’s chest. The memory of an alabaster alicorn flashed to the forefront- eyes wide in horror and damp with tears as he looked up at her in rage…
and then regret and understanding.
Yes, I’ve met a Goddess before…and even I know that such titles do not denote perfection.
“You are but a candle to a sun!”

The Golden gryphon shrieked, slamming a set of claws against Galen’s side- but it instead hit a shield that glowed from the Knight’s gauntlet.
“You know, I finally figured it out.” Galen yelled over the clash of magic and steel as a few gryphons tried to intervene, Ley dispatching them with brutal blows to the head.

“Why you tried to kill every Ashen, male, female, and child. Why you killed my family, my friends, and razed my home to the ground. I finally figured it out!
The Guardian’s eyes widened in horror- gaze darting to look at Ley briefly as she bucked another Golden creature into a wall.
The Kirin returned the stare, fangs protruding from her muzzle with a grin.
"You can’t easily kill me, or any other Ashen…” Galen growled, magic surging from his body into the Golden creature.
“But we know how to kill you!”

The magic strike caused the Guardian to convulse- but the gryphon then laughed. Even as Galen still had talons buried in his chest, the ‘God’ chuckled.
“Clever. Very clever. But even you, Prince Galen of Anthracite, cannot harm me. You don’t have the power to do so. Even She barely can!” The Guardian quipped, gesturing to Ley.
“So now, you die.”
A sword, dripping with molten golden metal began to weave itself into the gryphon’s grip-
“ALABASTER! FIRE!”

The ship, until now a simple landmark, now hummed with power. The sound built up to a peak- as though a swarm of gigantic bees was buzzing inside of its hull. Squat projectors built into the sides now ignited with a flash- beams of energy as thick as a tree trunk searing through the air.

The four beams hit Galen dead on, his body glowing as it absorbed the energy like a sponge.
“You still can’t kill me. I will return and-”
The Golden gryphon’s words cut off as Galen’s blue body now burned with a white fire- the Knight sending a surge of energy into the creature’s chest.
“No. I can’t kill you here. But what does it say about you, about me, if I can make a God bleed?” Galen hissed, white fire now blasting into the golden creature’s chest from his talons.

Thrashing about with a scream, the Golden Guardian’s left shoulder began to crack- like ceramic being hit with a small hammer. Pieces began to flake off and vanish, yellow magic pouring form the wound like a cut stand bag, growing in intensity and speed.
“I can’t kill you here- but tomorrow? The next day? The next year? I will find you, and make you BURN!

The bright spectacle reached a peak- Galen and the Guardian now almost completely obscured by the white light that surged from the Knight into the contact point. Just as the ships’ projectors began to burn out, Ley dashed forward and slammed a green spike into the Gryphon’s head- prompting the Guardian’s eyes to widen in horror as he vanished with a puff of golden magic.

The remaining gryphons on the battlefield sagged to the ground, golden dust leaving their frames in bursts as their bodies fragmented into flakes. Within moments, nothing was left but the crew and a group of horrified townsfolk, the dust of the fallen Golden Strand cultists being blown away with each pasting gust of wind.

Tilly and Pergin began to slowly walk back towards the ship after conversing with the stunned townsfolk, who slowly began to file back towards the damaged buildings. Apparently, it was a positive exchange- one of the filly’s reaching over to hug Tilly’s forelimb before leaving.

“I wish I could have killed him, right here…ended it all.” Galen whispered, sagging against Ley who propped up the Knight. She shook her head, gesturing back to Skystar.
You have other priorities, Galen. That time will come. I too was not prepared against him. I do not know if I can kill him.” Her sing-song voice filled Galen’s mind, the gryphon nodding as they staggered back to the ship.

“But I can, in time. But you are right. Skystar…”
The full weight of the fight began to settled onto Galen’s mind, even as his physical form began to weave back together. His arcane body once again became meshed with flesh and blood, the gryphon having to sit down at the bottom of the gangplank as his crew gathered in front of him.

“Well. Now you know.” Galen sighed, wings drooping as Ley sat next to him- Alabaster and Switch trotting down the gangplank part way.
“Anyone else have an issue with this?” Gears called out, shrugging as he removed his helmet.
“No? Ok, good.” The hedgehog muttered, gesturing to the others.
“Yeah, we know. We kind of knew there was something up. It’s a bit much- but nothing you’ve told us was a total lie right? Other than concerning Anthracite.” The engineer asked, prompting Galen to shake his head, claws running through his naturally blue feathers.

“No. Just concerning my identity and the history. Everything else with you all has been genuine.” He sighed, Tilly then gesturing to Staunch as the Unicorn began to tend to their wounds.
“And you knew? About all this?” The gryphoness asked the unicorn.
Staunch was about to answer, when a tan feathery bolt surged forwards, wrapping Galen up in a hug.
“Galen!”
Hugging Skystar back, the Knight let himself lean into her embrace, nuzzling her neck feathers affectionally.
You’re ok.
And you still…
“Are you alright?” Skystar asked, pulling back slightly to look him over. After seeing no apparently wounds, she dove back in for another hug- this time leaning her head on his chest.
“I was worried. And scared. And just…everything. What just happened?” she whispered, head shaking slightly.
“We can explain more once we leave. I’m sorry for not telling you all this. I’m surprised you still….” Galen’s words drifted off, prompting the hippogriff to pull back slightly.

“You’re sorry?” she muttered, reaching up to tap Galen’s beak with a claw every few words.
“You lied to protect us all. You were dealing with a lot more than one creature can handle. You opened up as best you can. You just saved us from whatevertheheckthatwas. And you have awesome blue feathers. Consider your apology accepted.” she chirped, prompting Galen to stare.

“And you still....?” he couldn’t get the words out.
Despite it all, the first thing you want to do is hug me?
You still care, after all that?
Judging from the blush on his features, Skystar must have picked up on what he meant, the hippogriff giving him a final hug and whisper before pulling away.
“Of course I still care. You’re you.”

Struggling to not let the lump in his throat grow to push out tears, Galen looked to his crew, all of whom were grinning widely at the pain.
“You all still with me?” He managed to ask, Tilly raising a bandaged forelimb.
“Well duh. We’re not just here because it’s a free ride out. You’re family.” The gryphoness replied, receiving nods from every creature present.
“You had to lie and keep secrets to protect us. With these golden freaks out here, it’s pretty obvious why you needed to do all that. You’re still our captain, and our friend.” she continued, getting a nod from Pergin, Gears, and Staunch.

“So, Captain, will all due respect, can we get out of here? That whole fight was pretty creepy, and I’d like to know what just happened.” Gears grumbled, then gesturing to his armor.
“I do love this look though.”

Galen managed a smile, waving a claw to dissipate the summoned armor from the crew with a grumble from Gears.
“Thank you, all of you.” He whispered, nodding to Alabaster and Switch.
“You two, thank you for making sure the ship was secure. If that move hadn’t worked….”

The Ashen waved, walking up with the group as they boarded.
“Of course. We aren’t fighters, Captain. We’re just glad we could help.”

The gangplank then retracted, and the ship slowly rose into the air under its own power, but barely.
“Where do we go now?” Pergin piped up, looking at the map laid out on the wheelhouse table.
His limbs starting to shiver as the full weight of the fight began to set in, Galen managed to gesture to a spot on the map east of the ‘Sea of Clouds’ and due north from Mount Aris.

“To Anthracite. It’s time you saw it all, and not just the trading docks and marketplace.” Galen remarked, prompting a happy prancing movement from Ley.

“That may have to wait, Captain. I’m picking up four ships- probably those reinforcements. They are still a ways off, but…” Gears chimed in, prompting a sigh from Galen.
“Try to repair the engines as best you can while we move, and maybe find a place to hide. If we have to fight, I can clear us a path, but I’m already near my limit.” Galen sighed, flopping towards the floor-
And promptly found himself leaning against a happy hippogriff.
“Well. I for one am toooooootally excited to see this place!” Skystar crowed as the ship began to slowly pick up speed.
Galen’s smile was heartening- but Skystar saw his eyes glance to the crystal detection screen briefly. With enemies on their tail and the ship crippled, it was hard to escape the cloud of worry that sought to invade the bridge.
“I think you’ll love it. You’ll all love it. I hope so at least.” Galen whispered, prompting a shove from Tilly on his opposite shoulder.

“We trust you Captain. Now let’s go see your home.” The Gryphoness remarked.
The ship continued onwards, the storm clouds behind the group hiding the even greater threat that sailed underneath their cover.

Author's Note:

The hammer drops.
Well dang did stuff happen!
So, anyone see that coming? Some of you probably did- I have hints here and there in past chapters...SO MUCH HAPPENING!:pinkiehappy:
Sorry for the later chapters- but I think the two week timeframe is much more sustainable. If I can get them out earlier, I shall!

As always, look forward to any feedback!