• Published 8th Feb 2019
  • 2,647 Views, 343 Comments

Of Stars and Sails - RadBunny



When an eccentric gryphon and his for-hire crew are tasked with kidnapping a Princess for her own safety, it was sure to be an odd job. But when plans and alliances fail, no port is safe when a dagger is hidden behind every friendly smile.

  • ...
1
 343
 2,647

Chapter Eighteen: Aftermath

Staring at the papers in front of him, Galen finally let his head smack into the counter, a bit of fruit in a bowl next to him having gone half uneaten as he sat at the large desk in one of the many quiet rooms of the castle

“Please tell me these are the last reports?” he asked tiredly, ears perking up as Alabaster nodded.

“Final requisition orders, a report from Mount Aris, and final authorization for the council to handle all of the operations to render the Hippogriff Kingdom safe.” The Ashen reported, Galen signing all of them with a sigh.

“That’s it? Queen Novo and Skystar are still here, as are a few hippogriffs, if I understand correctly? They should be heading back tomorrow or so?” Galen asked, the hours of the past day blurring together. The action from two days ago had only shifted to a new form of stress, taking form of meetings, more planning sessions, and paperwork.
So, SO much paperwork.

He had barely seen Skystar, other than a brief hug in a hallway. Thankfully, this last pile should ensure he could delegate the operations to the council for some time. With the de-activation of the cloaking field around Anthracite, a few curious visitors had started to land at the docks- of which the tours had gone rather smoothly, thankfully. Various delegations were already in talks with Equestria, the dragons, and a few other races as well, a few embassies already planned for construction.

But all of that required paperwork, and various measures needing to be passed by the council.
And yet they insist on forwarding these documents to be approved by me. Quite odd, since they technically don’t need it, if ruled by the majority…

Signing the various forms, Galen packed a clawful of fruit into his beak, swallowing the brief meal before resting his head on the desk again.

“Alright. Ten more forms done, that it for now? No more updates from Old Anthracite either? Thank you for filling in as the secretary, or rather, deliverer of torture, by the way.” Galen remarked, eliciting a chuckle from the Ashen.

“Of course, Sir. Glad to help. No further updates; it only took three squads to secure our old home, and the Council is handling resettlement, and there will be a ceremony later today, I believe. Now then, I’ll leave you two be.”

The question of who else was in the room was quickly answered, a familiar lithe form sliding into Galen’s arms. Holding her gryphon tight, Skystar couldn’t help but giggle as Galen flopped into her embrace, nuzzling into the hippogriff’s neck before pressing into her feathers.

“I’ve missed this.” he murmured, prompting another titter from the Princess.

“It’s been only a day or two.”

Galen shrugged, moving his affection to caress Skystar’s cheek with his own, finally giving her a gentle kiss.

“A day or two where I’ve been stressed out of my mind. That makes it seem much longer.”

“Ok, fair enough. Are you doing ok though? I’ve been busy with my Mom and some of your advisors too, when she wasn’t meeting with you or the Council. Planning to try and make sure our home is safe. And I believe you already signed a treaty with our nation?”

Galen chuckled, pulling Skystar into a passionate kiss that made her feathers stand on end.
“That is true, but I’d say we’ve already got a pretty good relationship going.”

“I mean, at least not it’s p-politically formal?” The Princess stammered, not able to refute his words.

“Fair enough. And I’m doing alright, just a bit stressed. Of course, whenever I’m in your arms I immediately am doing much better.” Galen mused, enjoying the slight blush and affectionate nuzzle Skystar gave him. “But how are you doing?”

Skystar sighed, relaxing into Galen’s embrace slightly.
“I’m doing ok. Just busy. Now that our home is back, we have an alliance, and it’s being made safe again, it has just been busywork. At least now we both get a bit of a break? Sort of?”

Galen nodded, not saying anything for a few moments and simply enjoying the close contact.
“I think so. I know there’s a celebration or something being set up by the council.”

A soft giggle reached his ears, Skystar nodding as she shifted to rest her head on Galen’s shoulder.

“It’s already started, at least it looked like it when I caught a glimpse of it. I’m pretty sure someone told you about it…”

“Mmmm.”

“You were only half listening, weren’t you?” Skystar grinned, some affectionate nuzzles from Galen confirming her suspicions.

“Maybe.”

“Uh huuuuh.”

“Honestly I did hear you. I’ve just missed this, being able to forget everything except for you.”

“Aww…”

After another rather long kiss with his favorite hippogriff, Galen let out a huff, resting his forehead against Skystar’s.

“They said something about the festival starting, and that I was invited, but not expected to show until I wished. I do know they wanted me to say some words in the evening…”

“Well, want to go to the festival? It’s a celebration after all- and I don’t think it would have been possible without you. That’s what I’ve gathered anyhow.” Skystar reluctantly stood up, giving Galen’s claws a squeeze. “Don’t think I wouldn’t stay all day here with you though. I’ve missed you too.”

Galen smiled, gesturing to the door of the study as he stretched, ears flicking briefly.
“Are you free the rest of the day?”

Skystar nodded happily, taking her place at Galen’s side with a grin.
“Yup! So you’re stuck with me!”

“No complaints here.” the prince added as the pair made their way through the halls, various guards saluting as they passed.

“I hope you all are on rotation, the festival is for all!”

“SIR!” Was the simple reply, the Prince grinning as they walked.

“Ruling with an iron claw, I see.” Skystar quipped, prompting an exaggerated sigh.

“Oh yes. I don’t know how I’d ever keep this kingdom together without threat of festivals, karaoke nights, days off; such a threatening position I occupy.”

Skystar giggled, then pausing as an Ashen gryphon trotted up to them.
“Ah! Highness! The council was actually hoping you’d come down to the main castle entrance. It’s part of the festival you see…” the messenger stammered, then sent on his way with a wave of Galen’s claw.

“I’m on my way, whatever could they have planned?” he mused, not missing the mischievous glint in Skystar’s eyes. “And you’re in on it too! Oh, the treachery!”

“Welllll? Lets’ gooooo.” Skystar grinned, nudging Galen’s shoulder with her own.

“Cheeky, cheeky hippogriff.”

Your cheeky hippogriff.”


The affectionate twinkle in Galen’s eye only served to keep the smile on Skystar’s face as she nudged the gryphon towards one of the main entrances of the palace. There was a general hubbub from outside, and the gryphon shrugged his wings as he shoved the doors open.

“Alright, so what is the…big…”

His eye widened in surprise, seeing the courtyard packed with Ashen, hundreds of them standing shoulder to shoulder. On hearing the doors open, they immediately stopped their pleasant chattering, turning to face the stunned Prince.

“Skystar? What-?”

“Galen.”

A familiar and elderly gryphon walked forwards in front of the crowd, stepping around a very new addition to the courtyard; a tall object covered with a grey cloth. Ja’lin looked at the prince with a smile, gesturing with a wing to the courtyard and the streets packed with Ashen beyond the palace.

“Today is a celebration of our victory, and of being able to finally return to Old Anthracite.” the gryphon began, then letting out a soft chuckle. “I said it long ago, and I’ll say it again, Prince Galen. We have for far too long taken you for granted- and don’t you dare object to that!” he added, seeing the other gryphon raise a claw in opposition to the statement.

“You were never meant to shoulder as much of the burden as you did. Yet here we stand, our greatest enemy defeated, a new home founded, and an old one reclaimed.” Ja’lin stated, standing up a bit taller, the old gryphon’s voice seeming to tremble slightly.

“All thanks to you, Prince Galen. You and your family gave everything for our cause; and we cannot repay that dept. However, we can certainly honor and recognize it, as it should have been from the start. I shoulder just as much blame for that as any, and hope in time you can forgive us for that…”

He shook his head, the regretful emotion passing as the council gryphon gestured to the odd object.

“This is simply a small way of recognizing all that you have done for us; and by far not the only thing, as you will discover.”

With a wave of his claws, the Ashen signaled for the cloth to be pulled away; and Skystar saw Galen’s eyes widen in shock.

Carved in incredible detail, a stone and metal image of Galen stood before them; the gryphon holding the royal seal of Anthracite up in his claws. Skystar scooted a bit closer to the Prince, noting how the sculpture’s eyes were narrowed in determination, his other free claws pulling free from some chains.

“You freed us, Galen. On learning that we were trapped and needed a new home, you immediately spent all of your money on the original Revelation, and brought us here.” Ja’lin stated, gesturing to the statue, and then to Galen’s side.

“And do not think we forgot.”

Galen followed the gesture of Ja’lin- and his throat promptly closed with emotion. A near-perfect sculpture of his father stood to the side of the doors they had just exited, and his grandfather, and the kings of Anthracite before them all lined the spaces to their left and right.

“I…”

Ja’lin stood at attention; every Ashen mimicking his actions. Ley coalesced beside him, the Kirin wearing a kind grin as she watched on.

“Thank you, Galen.” the elder councilgryphon said softly, then bowing deeply to the Prince. The action spread like a wave; evercreature in attendance following suit.

Galen stood a bit taller, Skystar noticing the dampness in his eyes regardless. The Prince then waved a set of claws, taking a shaky breath.

“What can I say? I’m just glad everycreature is here, safe and free. Thank you all; this was not just my doing, and I cannot ever claim it was such. I would not be here without your efforts either. So, let us celebrate such! I hear there is a festival to be had?” Galen called out, the resulting roar of affirmation causing the Prince to grin.

“I shall see you all there. For our victory, for Anthracite and for our future!!”

“FOR ANTHRACITE! FOR THE FUTURE!” the crowd once again roared back, slowly beginning to disperse.

Ja’lin and Ley approached Galen, the Prince looking at the statues, clearly overwhelmed.

“I don’t know what to say.” he whispered, prompting a soft laugh from the Ashen.

“You don’t have to say anything. I know you aren’t the statue type of Prince, but it was a unanimous approval by everycreature. However, there is something else that we’ve done, something that should have been done long ago.” Ja’lin remarked, motioning for Galen to follow.

Skystar trotted at his side; curious as to what this new development was. She had only known about the statue and ceremony; this was new…

Meandering through a beautiful section of gardens, a rainbow of colors greeted their vision as the group took a side path. Ending at a small clearing that overlooked the entire city, Ja’lin stepped aside with Ley, letting Galen go on ahead.

The Prince stepped into the grassy enclave, tree branches reaching over head as a few butterflies flittered here and there. White stones were carefully placed into the thick grass, leading to…

The shuddering breath Galen took was enough for Skystar to look over- and her eyes widened in surprise. Tears poured from his eyes, the gryphon sitting down out of shock.

Only now looking to see what Galen’s eyes were locked on, Skystar’s heart ached as a series of smaller statues looked back at her. As though posing for a loving family portrait, Galen’s family looked back at her; the King, Queen, and his siblings all smiling at them, expertly carved into dark grey stone with every detail meticulously captured. A series of gravestones were placed in front of the statues; bare dirt pushed to the side.

“We found where they were buried, Galen, and will have the ceremony whenever you are ready. We can also retrieve the headstones from Griffonstone.” Ja’lin whispered, his own voice cracking slightly. “This is why we can never repay you, why we have stayed awake for countless hours struggling with our decisions from these past years. Your family gave their lives for us, and you nearly paid that price as well. Our debt can never satisfy that, nor would we want it to. This is just a small recognition of that, one of many to come.” Ja’lin tentatively reached up and placed a set of claws on Galen’s shoulder, turning to leave.

“This…could this all have been done earlier?” Galen stated, his wings drooping slightly.

“No.”

Three heads turned in surprise as Ley spoke, the kirin shaking her head as she walked over to Galen, pressing a hoof against his chest.

“It could not. You were not ready.”

Tears streamed down Galen’s face as he hung his head, sides shaking with sobs. No words were said to contradict the wise kirin as she too turned to leave.

“I’ll be to the festival in time. I’d like some time alone though.” Galen whispered; the councilgryphon and Guardian nodding as they walked out of the garden. Skystar was about to leave as well-

“Sky, p-please…”

The agony in Galen’s voice had Skystar once again at his side, the hippogriff sliding under one of his arms as the Prince hugged her close. She felt tears wet her feathers, her gryphon letting a few more tears fall as he looked at his family’s soon-to-be final resting place.

“Do you think they’d be proud?”

The whisper was almost unheard, but Skystar’s ears caught it all the same. She pulled away slightly, making sure to meet Galen’s gaze with her own. Reaching up a set of claws, Skystar gently placed them on Galen’s chest, where he reached up his own to clasp them tight.

“Galen, I know they’d be proud.” Skystar whispered fiercely, gesturing out to the city.
“And I can think of thousands of creatures that would agree with me.”

The answer seemed to calm Galen slightly, the Prince giving her claws a final squeeze before turning to look at the grave sites.

“Thank you, Sky.” a slight smile edged at his beak, the Ashen’s eyes flickering over to her briefly. “As always, you brighten up any moment.” he then paused, swiping a few more tears from his eyes.

“Could I be alone for a bit? I’ll catch up with you in the courtyard.”

Skystar stood up, giving her gryphon’s shoulder a squeeze as she took her leave. As she trotted through the gardens on her way back, the Princess took a deep breath, watching the calming flowers wave this way and that. She knew how rough it was to lose a parent; she couldn’t imagine losing her mom too.

But we’re here for you Galen. Not just me, but an entire nation of creatures wanting nothing but the best for you.

Seeing Ja’lin and Ley at the courtyard, Skystar waved as the two approached.

“How is he?” the councilgriff asked, prompting a simple nod.

“Hurting, but he’s ok.” Skystar admitted. “I think that maybe it’s finally sinking in.”

“What is?”

Skystar saw Ley begin to smile at the councilgriff’s question, the Princess’s eyes narrowing in determination.

“That he’s not alone in all of this; he never has been.”


Within about ten minutes, Galen was seen walking back to his statue, the Prince’s eyes dry and regaining a bit of their spark. Nodding to Skystar, Galen saw the distant shapes of Ley and Ja’lin meandering down the main courtyard road.

“You doing ok?” Skystar asked, receiving a nod in return.

“Yeah, I’m alright. All of this, and that, it just re-opened stuff.” Galen admitted, a loving nuzzle brushing across his cheek.

“I understand, at least a bit. Just know that I’m here for you, we’re all here for you.”

Galen nodded giving his hippogriff a brief hug, the pair starting to meander down the road towards the distant city center.

“I do believe there’s a festival to enjoy.” Galen mused, Skystar nodding eagerly.

“Uh huh! I heard some music start up a few minutes ago. And I toootally smelled something incredible in the kitchens this morning!”

Galen paused, looking around the now-empty courtyard briefly before giving Skystar a tender and loving kiss immediately occupied all of the hippogriff’s attention.
“Thank you for being here, Sky, for being you.” he whispered, prompting a happy chirp in reply. She couldn’t imagine ever growing tired of his affectionate reminders.

“The same goes for you, y’know. What would I do without my noble Knight?” she replied softly with a smile.

What she wasn’t prepared for was Galen to then pause, wrap an arm around her torso, and pull the princess into a much more heated kiss that caused the Princess’s temperature to skyrocket, warmth flooding her frame as the Prince’s chest pressed against her own.

Pulling back briefly, Galen gave Skystar’s cheek a caress before grinning.
“Now then, I think we have a festival to enjoy!” Galen quipped, not able to resist a grin on seeing Skystar’s face. The poor hippogriff was struggling to not start panting, face-feathers fluffed out with her freckles feeling as though they’d ignite and fly off. The cheeky gryphon then waved as he trotted a short distance off.

“You coming?”

“Galen! That was mean!”

“Don’t know what you’re talking about!”

Galen!


The festival was in full swing as Galen and Skystar walked through the large tents that had sprung up in the massive field. Originally used for military exercises, the expansive area had quickly turned into a festive fairground; foods of all sorts being cooked, simple games taking place here and there, as well as youngsters running this way and that.

At the edge of the area was a large stone arch; magical sparks occasionally running across its surface. The permanent portal to Old Anthracite was to be opened at the height of the festival; a new and eternal fixture on the island.

“This is awesome! I didn’t really look too far into the festival! This is just- it’s like a giant fair!” Skystar exclaimed, hopping up and down excitedly.

Galen was all smiles at her enthusiasm, pausing briefly to retrieve a steaming pile of dough from a vendor. As Skystar turned to look at him, he put a small bite into her beak with a chuckle.

Her eyes dilated, the hippogriff yanking off another piece with a blissful hum between bites.
“Oh my gosh. It’s like a funnel cake but better!” she mumbled, easily downing half of the sugary doughy dessert, Galen eating the other part. A lick on his beak caused the Prince’s feathers to immediately poof out- a cheerful giggle reaching his ears.

“What? You had spare sugar on there. I wasn’t about to let it go to waste!”

As they neared a large opening in the tents, the plucking’s of various instruments reached their ears.
“Hmm. Sounds like they’re going to put on a show before the portal activates.” Galen mused.

“Are you going to be a part of that?”

Galen stopped, looking at his claws briefly before shaking his head. Despite the slight smile on his face, Skystar could see the turmoil behind his gaze.

“No. My home there is gone, Sky. Everycreature else has something to return to; property, good memories, that sort of thing. My home burned there twenty years ago. This is my home now.” Galen explained, gesturing around and reaching over to give Skystar’s claws a squeeze.

“And I have to say, the company makes it all the better.”

Skystar chirped happily, following as Galen led her to the edge of the celebratory area. It was a large, circular-shaped clearing near the portal, a small impromptu stage set up to one side.

“So, there’s going to be some music then? Before the….oh! Hi mom!” Skystar remarked, waving to a familiar pink figure who was walking over to them.

“Hello here to you too!” Novo remarked, then looked over to Galen briefly. “May I borrow Galen for a moment?”

Skystar’s eyes narrowed slightly- but the slight wink her mother shot her was enough to assuage her nerves.

“Ok! I’ll wait here, Galen.”

Meandering behind some tents, Galen looked up at the monarch curiously.
“What can I do for you, Queen Novo?” he asked respectfully.

His words prompted a soft chuckle, the queen shaking her head slowly.
“Do? Continue on your path. Words cannot describe how happy I am to know how you’ve upheld that initial task I gave you.” she mused, then smirking slightly. “I simply wanted to tell you something. We’re all adults, and quite frankly, if I had any misgivings about you and Skystar, I don’t think it would matter what I said or did at this point, especially because I see how happy you make her.” Novo remarked, her tone softening.

“Prince Galen, you don’t need my permission; but you certainly have it, and my thanks. I only wish Skystar and you the best.”

Galen let out a breath he didn’t realize was being held, they Prince running some claws through his head feathers.
“I was honestly wondering how to bring that up. I would have preferred to ask you first, but…”

Novo laughed, a genuine and cheery sound as the queen shook her head again.
“Prince Galen, you have kept her safe for months from those evil creatures, put your life on the line for her, and clearly want nothing more than to see her happy. What more could I ask of a creature courting my daughter? I haven’t seen her this happy in ages, and I just want what’s best for her. Apparently, that means you.”

A smile replaced Galen’s slightly unsettled expression, the gryphon nodding as Novo gestured back out towards the clearing.

“That is all I wanted to say; now, I hope you enjoy yourself.”

“Thank you, Queen Novo.”

The Queen then paused, a slight smirk sliding onto her beak.

“Just Novo, when we’re alone. I think that’s only appropriate.”

She was then off, meandering down the tent isles to meet up with a group of hippogriffs in the distance.

As Galen returned, Skystar walked over to nudge his shoulder with hers.
“Sooo? I see my mom didn’t eat you alive?” she asked as Galen shrugged.

“Quite the opposite. She’s…quite happy with how things are. I wasn’t expecting that.” he admitted, prompting a friendly giggle.

“Galen, you constantly undersell yourself. You’ve done so much! I mean, look around! And, well….” Skystar’s voice softened slightly. “You’ve done plenty for me too.”

Her adoring gaze was enough to make the Prince smile, reaching up to run a set of talons through her head feathers affectionately as some music began to play.

Start Music

“I don’t suppose I could have a dance, or three?” he asked, Skystar immediately prancing in place.

“Of course!”

The pair was joined by dozens of other couples, their limbs tramping the ground in time with the drums that began to sound out across the festival area. A few voices began to sound out; eagerly meshing with the ecstatic crowd’s own.

As the song kicked up, Galen couldn’t help but laugh as he spun Skystar into a twirl, the hippogriff giggling all the while. More voices joined into the chorus, and the air began to almost hum with energy, the ground vibrating from the hundreds of claws, paws, and hooves pounding in time. Skystar’s sparkling eyes met his, and Galen kept his claws entwined with hers as they spun this way and that in a swing-like dance.

The voices all joined together in time; a chorus of ponies belting out in a volume and harmony as only Equestrians could. Minotaur’s pounded drums twice their size with all their strength, and Kirin’s and gryphons sending bow and claw across all sorts of stringed instruments.

“HOME AGAIN!”

At the edge of his vision, Galen saw the portal activate- but two different magical orbs caught his attention even more-so. As they continued to spin, Galen yanked Skystar into a brief kiss, then sending her twirling out as a carefree laugh left her beak.

Cheers sounded out amidst the music, even as the Ashen all around continued to dance. Galen then caught sight of his crew on the edge of the gathering; a few either having been snagged into a dance by an Ashen or vice versa. Skystar followed his gaze, giving his claws a squeeze even as they continued to dance.

Tilly and Pergin were swinging in time with the music, even while Staunch was bouncing this way and that with a fellow pony. Alabaster and Switch weren’t about to be left out, spinning around the group with wide smiles on their features. Even Gears was cackling as a fellow hedgehog spun him around with a wry grin on her face.

While the magical portal continued to spark, Galen paid it no mind, instead letting out a laugh as his crew made their way into his area. They all continued to dance, shouting until they were hoarse.

Skystar swayed against his chest briefly, Galen’s claws around her waist in a brief back and forth. The adoration in her eyes made the gryphon’s heart nearly beat out of his chest, and the adorable freckles on Skystar’s smiling face only highlighted her joy.

What more could I want than this?

While the portal to his past may have opened once again; all Galen could think of was the future in front of him as they continued to dance.

And what a future it will be.

*End Music*


The festival continued well into the night, the Ashen knowing little of the tiredness that crept into normal creature’s limbs. As the sun began to set, the Prince slipped away, the merriment of the day flowing into a different vein of thought.

Galen took a deep breath of the salty air, the gryphon sitting at the edge of one of the many cliffs that dotted the edge of Anthracite’s coast. The sun was barely beginning its journey upwards, and the waves at the base of the rocky outcropping sent a mist of seawater up towards the Prince, the edges of the mist licking at his claws.

His ears twitched, hearing a soft pattern of steps that brought a gentle smile the gryphon’s face.
“I’ll leave you alone, if you’d like.” Skystar whispered, prompting an immediate shake of Galen’s head. On seeing this, Skystar settled against his side, leaning on his soft shoulder. Her claws tentatively reached over to twine with his- immediately being squeeze by the gryphon’s in acceptance of the gesture.

“Maybe later, but now, I’d like nothing more than this. the Prince whispered, resting his head against Skystar’s as they watched the sun set over the ocean.

For a long while, the pair didn’t say anything else; but it was Galen who finally spoke again.
“I’ve always liked this spot. Apparently, it’s officially classified as my ‘thinking place,’ according to a few maps.” he mused. “I’ve just found it peaceful.”

“It is beautiful.” Skystar added softly, warmth flooding her frame as Galen snuggled a bit closer, his sides rising against hers.

“And I’m glad you are here, Sky. It just feels so strange; two decades to get to this moment, and I’m having trouble accepting it all. Just being able to stop and think helps though, especially after the festival, as invigorating and joyous as it was.”

A soft hum left Skystar’s beak in thought, the hippogriff shrugging her shoulders.
“Well, it’s understandable. Like any change, it will take time. There’s no rush to get used to it; the moment is here to stay.”

It was now Skystar’s turn to pause, her wings shuffling slightly.
“Can I ask you something, Galen?” A nod was his reply, and Skystar continued. “When you were fighting that creature, Tenebris…you said-” she shook her head, letting out a huff. “Never mind. It’s silly.”

“Well, you are a silly ‘griff, so don’t act like I don’t enjoy ‘silly.’ What is it?”

Skystar pulled away ever so slightly, a bit of nerves making her rub her claws together.
“You said that you wouldn’t let him hurt, or kill those you loved again. I…did you mean…” The Princess’s words failed her, but before she could speak again, a set of claws gently touched her cheek.

“I meant my new family, my crew….” Galen began, eyes softening. “And you, of course I meant you.”

The Princess’s eyes watered as Galen reached over to hold a set of her claws in his, his palm still resting on her cheek tenderly.

“I’m sorry for not saying it sooner, but admitting it to myself was terrifying.” the prince whispered, managing a smile as a bit of dampness crept into his own gaze.
“I love you, Skystar. I have for a while. I might have the courage to fight some golden demons, but I didn’t have enough to let you know before now. For that, I’m-”

“Don’t you dare say you’re sorry again- not in the same breath as admitting that.” Skystar whispered, swiping away a few tears from her eyes. “You’ve been through a lot, Galen. I don’t hold any of that against you.” a soft laugh left her beak, the Princess letting go of his claws to wrap the Prince up in a tight hug. “Kind of hard to hold that sort of thing against someone you love.”

She felt Galen stiffen, and the hippogriff pulled back slightly, looking into his shocked eyes.
“Of course, I love you too Galen. I’m just happy I can finally share that with you.”

The Princess promptly pulled the surprised gryphon into a kiss, warmth flooding Skystar’s frame as Galen wrapped his arms around her in return. A happy sigh left her beak as the gryphon’s chest rose and fell against her own, the Prince eventually breaking the kiss to caress her cheek with his.

“I love you Skystar, I just-” Galen shook his head, resting his forehead against hers.
“I don’t really have the words. I’m just so happy I have you.” the gryphon held Skystar’s claws in his own, the hippogriff tightening her now one-armed hug as Galen reached up to rest a palm against her cheek. “What else can I say? You’re one of the most incredible individuals I’ve ever known, you’ve been there for me through thick and thin, and to think that you love me, the mess that I am…”

A tender kiss interrupted his words, Skystar giggling softly.
“I love you because you’re you- mess and all. And if I recall, you’ve been there for me plenty of times.”

“So, call it even?” Galen teased, Skystar nodding as she rested her head against his shoulder.

“Of course, even if I did save your butt more than vice versa…”

Galen laughed, hugging his hippogriff tighter.
“Maybe in more ways than one…”

“Awww.”

Skystar was quiet for a time, simply snuggling close in the embrace of the onegriff she loved the most, a smile refusing to leave her beak.
“Hey Galen?”

“Hmm?”

She pulled back slightly, looking into a pair of adoring eyes that still set her heart aflame.
“You’ve shown me your world, Galen. When I go back to Mount Aris tomorrow, I’d like to show you mine.”

Galen nodded, words almost failing him as Skystar leaned into his embrace once again.
“I’d like nothing more, Sky.”

The pair didn’t say many more words, only relaxing in each other’s arms as the moon traveled upwards. The last thing each of them heard from the other for the night were three words, always accompanied by a smile.

“I love you.”

Author's Note:

Sorry for the slightly later chapter; but things winding down! And we get some closure and some sweet moments =)

AND THEY FINALLY SAID IT! IT'S ABOUT TIME YOU TWO! :rainbowkiss:
Stay tuned for the Epilogue!