• Published 22nd Nov 2018
  • 938 Views, 34 Comments

The Thestral With The Golden Halo - DougtheLoremaster



Years have passed. Starshine has almost fufilled her mission, all that stops her going home are five very special cases.

  • ...
6
 34
 938

Chapters Next
Chapter 1- Starshine's Plan

Starshine, the Princess of Redemption, sat at a stone table within a small chamber. Sconces on the wall flickered, as a dry hot breeze blew through the air. Sweating profusely she reached up a hoof to wipe away the perspiration. She blinked and focused on the figure before her sitting on just the other side. The Creature before her stared back and grinned, clearly amused. Starshine opened her muzzle and began to speak, in an ever patient tone. "Can you tell me what your name is?"

"Forgotten already? Oh princess, haven't we played this little game of yours long enough?"

Starshine rolled her eyes in amusement. How much time had passed? Days, months, or perhaps even years? It was hard to say, time didn't exist in Tartarus. She had sat here with this creature every free moment since she had arrived. An egotistical centaur and self proclaimed master manipulator, who went by the name of Tirek. Of course she knew his name. However, asking his name seemed to make him open up each time just a little more, though it did require a special trick. "Oh silly me, I do believe you are right. Tommy, was it?"

Tirek glared at her, his calm amused demeanor gone from his face. He replied angrily, putting emphasis on his name. "It's TIREK, your high-"

Starshine grinned wolfishly, causing him to halt mid-sentence. She began to giggle like a schoolfilly and said in a singsong voice, "I win~."

For a moment the centaur stared at her mouth agape, before laughing as well. "Well played, your majesty."
Tirek bowed his head in respect. Starshine did a mock curtsie and spoke softly. "Thank you, so shall we get started, your grumpiness?"

With that her horn began to glow as they both headed into the ethereal realm, for the hundredth, or perhaps was it the thousandth time?

***

It was much later that Starshine stood before the divine alicorn, Faust. The princess hung her head in shame as she reported her progress. "I can't seem to make them understand. Am I doing something wrong?"

A White wing gently wrapped around her in a hug as a gentle, calming voice replied. "Oh Starshine, my child, what you have done has far exceeded my expectations. Those five are just, well, put simply they will never change. Their souls are far more corrupt than even my power can influence. The time has come to...let them go I'm afraid."

Starshine's mind raced. We can't give up, surely no creature is beyond redemption? Starshine went through scenario after scenario. There has to be something I haven't tried!

Faust continued speaking, her voice tinged with slight sorrow though radiating warmth. "You have done your best, my child, you have brought so many of my children back to me. I hereby declare your liaison in Tartarus at an -"

Starshine's eyes shined. She opened her muzzle and did the unthinkable. She interrupted Faust. "Wait I've got it! I know what we haven't tried yet!"

Faust stood there at a loss for words, never in the history of existence had any creature dare interrupt her. She thought for a moment and calmly decided to hear her out. She could always punish her if it turned out to be a waste of time, after all. "Tell me."

"Let them roam cageless around Tartarus."

Faust's voice conveyed dangerous annoyance as she replied softly, "what good would that do? Tartarus is a prison for eternal punishment, why should we have guards then?"

Starshine spoke hurriedly, excited by the thoughts in her head. "Let me have control over Tartarus, send the guards home and give me complete control over every aspect of Tartarus."

Faust eyed the brazen alicorn before her. "Surely, you are not serious."

"My Queen, please hear me out."

The divine alicorn, slowly nodded, those opaque teal eyes glistening in interest. "Continue."

"Separate Tartarus from the realm of Equestria and give me absolute control over it. Allow me to show them the light in my own...special way. I promise you. I will not fail."

Faust smiled. She was amused by this turn of events, and part of her wanted very much to see where this would lead. well, why not, after all we've nothing but time. Why not see what this might bring. She thought. Looking Starshine in the eye, she replied in a very playful tone. "Alright, you've peaked my interest child of mine, show me what you can do. I shall grant your request. Even if that means talking to my sister once more."

"A sister? You have a sister?"

Faust frowned slightly as she read a scroll that had appeared as a response to the one she sent while talking. "I do, though I would just as well make sure ponykind never knew. I don't like to talk about her."

Starshine's eyes sparkled in curiosity. "May I ask why?"

"She can be a bit, uncouth, for lack of better word my daughter."

Starshine looked appalled at such a thought. "She must really dislike you to be so rude, my Queen."

Faust hesitated. Should I tell her? She thought. Faust decided against it and instead simply stated, "We are going to see her, you can judge for yourself. Just promise me you will be on your absolute most respectful behavior in her presence."

Starshine lowered her head in a bow. "Yes my Queen, you have my word."

Faust sighed in relief. Of course Starshine wouldn't let her down. Why had she been worried? "Alright, we are ready. Let's go say hello to...her."

With a flash they appeared within a long hallway within Taratarus that Starshine had never seen. In front of them were two giant ornate doors adorned in gold and cast from solid silver. The designs on them depicted a blood red pony with a unicorn's horn and... Are those dragon wings? Starshine thought to herself as she stared at the image. The pony was standing upon a mountain of the skeletal remains of many creatures. As Starshine stared at the image, one of the eyes on it glowed an emerald green, though only for a moment. Did that carving just wink at me? Starshine thought to herself as Faust flung open the doors with the magic in her horn.

Starshine stood at the doorway in shock as a red blur raced past her. "Fausty!"

Starshine blinked. A blood red mare with obsidian colored dragon's wings was grabbing Faust in a rather suggestive embrace. Faust had a look of pure annoyance on her face. "Ugh, get off me."

Using her magic, Faust forcibly removed the red mare and held her levitating at a hoofs length. The mare whined in a rather childish way. "Awwww Faust-y! You haven't visited in so long, I got so excited when I heard you were on your way. C'mon let your mane down. Have some fun, sis!"

Faust glared at her in apparent anger. "As rude as ever, aren't you? I've said before do not call me Faust-y."
Completely ignoring her, the mare had turned her attention towards Starshine and had a very sugar-sweet smirk on her face. "Oh my! Faust-y, who is that adorable little cutie, I see?"

The red mare's horn glowed and within a second she was in front of Starshine speaking to her in a honey-filled voice.
"What's the matter sweetie, dragon got your tongue?"

Starshine was at a loss for words and could only stammer. "I-I-I"

The red mare had begun gently running her hooves through Starshine's mane as she stood frozen. Starshine began to blush.

Faust sighed in frustration and used her magic to once again pick the mare up and hold her apart from Starshine. "Starshine...this is my sister, Hazel Eclipse. The Warden of Tartarus."

Chapters Next