• Published 5th Nov 2018
  • 1,359 Views, 8 Comments

Being Brave Part III - artman7391

  • ...
17
 8
 1,359

Capricore and the Apple Family

Capricore (or Cory, as he liked to be called), was recently adopted by two of the most amazing families in all of Equestria, the Apple family and the Twilight family. Because of this, he found a new home, a new talent, and a new life. In spite of his sad past, Capricore was now the happiest boy in any world. And why not? His new mother (and teacher), Twilight Sparkle, was a princess, and his big sister, Applejack owned a prosperous farm.

As a token of his gratitude, he became an efficient student for Twilight, and a hard working tender at Sweet Apple Acres. Though he once struggled with his basic, and athletic skills, he now excelled with the greatest of ease, thanks to his newfound quadrupedal friends and family. He loved them, and they loved him.

Even more so, his recognition as an artist became known far and wide in Equestria. You would have to be living under a rock to not know the art of ever talented Capricore. His paintings, sculptures and other crafts sprouted from either used or thrown away item to which he transformed them into something extraordinary. Each one of them selling from 500 to 10000 bits, taking on the forms of murals, statues, mosaics, jewelry, portraits and other high forms of art.

His dedication to improvement even won the hearts of three young fillies, whom appointed him as their honorary scout master. Here he tagged along one some of their Cutie Mark adventures, striving to figure out who they were, just as much as he did awhile back. Though they always ended up with blank flanks on their rumps, the adventure was still thoroughly entertaining. And with him on their side, it was all the more enjoyable.

Now today was to be a special occasion for the Apple Family, and a first time experience for Cory. He woke up to the fresh sound of a rooster and the welcoming sight the rays. It was this morning he was residing at Sweet Apple Acres, as he did every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Surrounding his bedroom were different unfinished and/or in progress works of art. As Cory got out of his bed, he took a moment to look at a list attached to his dresser, calculating which of these works were on hold, and which creations were near completion.

"Mornin Cory!" Said Applejack as she trotted into his room/studio. "Ready to learn some more family history?"

"More than ever big sister." Replied Cory as he rubbed his eyes.

"Alright then. Wash up and get dressed. Cause today, you're gonna learn the ups and down's of the zap apple jam extroadinare!"

Then, with the click of her heels, she trotted back downstairs.

After brushing his teeth, fixing himself to some strawberries and toast, and checking himself one last time in the mirror, Cory headed to the living room. There he saw Big Mac, Aj and the Cutie Mark Crusaders gathering around Granny Smith, as if ready to hear a story. She was sitting in her easy chair with a large album in her hooves.

"Howdy Cory." Said Applebloom. "You're just in time to hear Granny Smith's story."

Cory plopped down and sat next between her and Big Mac as Granny Smith had her eyes fixed attentively on the album.

"Will I enjoy this?" Cory asked with a puzzled.

"Just you wait." Said Applejack "If there's one think Granny Smith is good at, it's tellin some good old family tales."

Granny Smith skimmed through the pages while a look of affection and memory grew on her face. Then, she showed them the album and began her story.

"When I was a young'n, bout yer age, I was still pretty unsure what world lied ahead o me. My folks and I were just a few travelin Ponyfolk lookin fer a place to call home."

She presented to them an old, sepia toned picture of what looked like her at young age surrounded by other family members.

"See, when we first settled in and established town now known as Ponyville, we weren't really sure what kinda export trade we'd be doin. Though we was already skilled in the art of apple harvestin, we still wanted to stand out fer somethin different. We tried horseshoes, carriages, furniture, paint, even a new type o glue that didn't really catch on."

She turned the page and showed them a few pics of her family with a few failed products. Everypony in the circle laughed, Cory included.

"Now kids. Y'all know better than to laugh at old ponyfolk." Granny Smith said sternly, to which everyone stopped. "Besides, we were already runnin low on sustenance. But I do admit, some o them failed attempts were funny." Then she turned the pages and continued her story.

"One evenin while my ma and pa were slumberin on some other wacky - tacky experiment, I decided to sneak out and take a little self tour of the everfree forest. Now I knew that forest was no place fer a young filly like myself to wander in on her own. But I also knew we was running low on food and o course a good hearty meal doesn't just grow overnight."

She showed the circle a picture of her family trying to eat what looked like small morsels of bean and oats.

"I also knew critters were brewin in that forest, so there must've been somethin to eat. But I won't lie, it was pretty scary. Every nook and nook and cranny was filled with unidentified vines and vegetation."

"Just as I was about to turn my tail in the other direction, low and behold, I found myself starin in awe at one of the most beautiful apple trees I ever lay eyes on. I had never seen anything with such vicar, color, and taste."

She then presented to Cory a picture of what looked a apple painted with all the colors of the rainbow. Never before had he seen something so beautiful, and at the same time, mouth watering. By now, Cory was truly engaged

"But ya see, danger was brewin in the thick of these foreign woods." Granny Smith Continued "Cause as I was picking the last of these zap apples, I stared fact to face with a trio of genuine TIMBERWOLVES!!"

She then showed what looked like a drawing of what looked like a large wolf like creature made out of sticks and leaves.

"This is by favorite part." Applebloom whispered into Cory's ear.

"I had never run so fast in all my life. Knowin those terrifying critters would jeopardize our clan, I did the only think I could think of. I banged on the kettle with a nearby pan till my teeth grew sore, waking up my folks and shooing away them beasts. It was that following morning we planted them zap apple seeds and before we knew it, we had full grown trees before you could say lickity split."

She then showed a before and after image of what looked some of the most before species of tree life Cory had ever seen. They looked as though lightning was being passed from one branch to the next, as if Tesla had somehow found a source of electric current through photosynthesis.

"Whoa." He said to himself.

"Ever since then, I have been put in charge with makin sure the zap apple harvesting season's in tip top shape. Such as how the weather affects the Everfree Forest, or how the Timberwolves howl when the zap apples first start growin, and how they zapped away if ya didn't pick em all in one day. And the fruits of our labor was the best we've ever tasted. As the years, went on, we started to develop all sorts of Apples, and teach others the trade as well, from Manehattan all the way to Canterlot itself. Soon I was mixin up my own recipe of zap apple jam."

Then she closed the book as everypony turned towards Cory.

"Now Capricore." Said Granny Smith "Since you're the newest member of the Apple family. We think it would be best for you to learn the trade."

"This is gonna be so much fun." Squeaked Sweetie Belle.

Before he knew it, he was escorted outside to the middle of the orchard. There he found himself surrounded by the exact trees he saw in the picture.

"Hey girls." Said Applebloom as she, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo huddled in a circle. "This might be our chance to get cutie marks in teaching how to bake."

"Yeah, especially if it's our scout master." Scotaloo added. "It's a golden opportunity for us."

The three giggled and gave each other a high hoof as focused their attention back to Cory.

"Now before ya begin." Said Applebloom "We're gonna show ya a demonstration of just how to make zap apple jam just right."

"Huh?" Cory replied

"Ya see Capricore." added Granny Smith "Just like harvestin apples has it's special rules, so does makin zap apple jams."

"So we're gonna start ya off with checking a simple beehive." Said Applejack as she carted one in. "Your job is to make sure the bees are satisfied with the flowers you give em, so the honey tastes just right when mixing....

"Wait..." Interrupted Cory "Did you just say bees."

"Don't worry." Said Sweetie Belle "You'll be in a beekeeper suit during the process."

"Let me just show ya how it's done." Said Granny Smith, to which she put on a beekeeper suit and took out a bouquet of flowers from a satchel nearby. She calmly presented it to the hive after which several bees came out and started suckling out some pollen. Then as quickly as they came out, they buzzed back in.

"Now lets see you try." Said AJ

The Cutie Mark Cruaders presented him with one that fitted him just right. As he put on the white suit, slipped his gloves on and fastened his helmet, he delicately picked up a bouquet of flowers and carefully walked towards the hive.

"Were right behind ya." reassured AJ, to which Cory replied a weary, unsure smile.

Then, with a shakey hand and a gulp down his throat, he lunged the bouquet towards the comb, waiting for anything to come out. After a few intense moments, a few bees started to emerge, to which they landed on the tops of the flowers, gathered a few tufts of pollen and buzzed back inside the comb.

"Nice work there grandson." Granny Smith acknowledged "Ya got em to trust ya."

Cory took a sigh of relief as he took off his bee suit.

"The next step," She continued, "Is to make sure them jars are in tip top shape."

The family then escorted Cory to the kitchen to which a carefully set row of jars was ready for him. At the edge of the table was what looked like a soldiers hat, much to Cory's confusion.

"These here jars need some full on talkin to," Explained AJ "otherwise yer not sure whether they can hold a zap apple jam or not."

"But ya gotta think about who or what makes a steamed." Applebloom added "That way, you can put all your anger on the jar."

"Like this." Granny Smith continued as she put on an army helmet.

"ALRIGHT YOU LOW BLASTED BULLYIN VARMINTS!!' She shouted in one of the jars. " IF ONE O YOU SO MUCH LAYS ANOTHER HOOF, CLAW, OR PAW ON MY NEW GRANDSON CAPRICORE HERE, I'LL GIVE YA THE ALRIGHT WHAT FOR!!"

And just as fast as she blew steam, she took a deep breath and took her helmet off.

"I think I know who you were referring to." Said Cory

"Yup." Said AJ "As I've said before. Anyone o those bullies mess with you again, they mess with the whole apple clan."

"Alright." Cory Replied as he put on his helmet. "Here we go."

Cory just stared at the empty glass jars. What was there to mad about them?

"Just think about whatever gets you angry and let it all out on them." Said Sweetie Belle.

Where was he to begin on that subject? So many things in his life filled him with anger. His parents, his orphanage, his peers, his school, and above all, his old principal. It was now a time for him to get some of that hurt out of his system. So he thought of the first words that came out of his mouth.

"LISTEN UP STIFFSON!!" He started to shout. "I KNOW I WASN'T YOUR PERFECT STUDENT. I KNOW YOU BELIEVED IN EVERYBODY BEING PERFECT AS WELL! BUT THAT'S JUST NOT HOW THE WORLD WORKS! IT JUST ISN'T! ALL THE GREATEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD GOT TO WHERE THEY ARE NOW THROUGH TRIAL AND ERROR!! NO ONE GETS IT RIGHT ON THE FIRST TRY!!! SO IF DON'T STOP POORLY TREATING THOSE WHO AREN'T AS FAST AT LEARNING AS OTHERS, SUCH AS MYSELF....I'M GOING TO CALL THE POLICE ON YOU, AND YOU'LL BE SORRY!!

Cory took a deep breath, as he took off his helmet, much to everypony else's bewilderment. At this time, Granny Smith walked over with a ladle in her hoof and tapped on one of the jars. a quiet ding and a small vibration followed as she pressed her ear against the glass.

"Was that too much?" Cory asked.

"Na. Ya got em listening." Granny Smith replied.

Cory took a sigh of relief as he and everypony else moved on the next tasks. These included such bizarre deeds as painting the living with polka dots, clanging pots and pans in the middle of the orchard and dressing up as a bunny while reciting the alphabet. He began to wonder whether this was a cooking procedure, or some pagan ritual. But all the same, it was entertaining for him.

By late afternoon, Friday of that same week, the rather unconventional tasks were completed. The Apple Family had found themselves setting up a few stands to trade and sell the freshly cooked jam.

"Capricore?" Said Applejack.

"Yeah?" Cory replied.

"How bout ya go over and help the Cutie Mark Crusaders over there. I think they're having a little trouble setting up their stand."

"Sure thing sis."

He walked over to his right and noticed how how Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle and Applebloom were struggling to keep their wooden structure up.

"Need some help?" he hollered.

"As always big brother." Applebloom replied "After all, you are our scout master."

Cory graciously joined in on their struggle as he picked up a hammer and some nails, and started to pound away. When they finished on that step, he picked up a nearby paint brush as he let his art juices kick in. With every ease, every stroke and every glide on the wooden canvas, a graphic title started to take shape. The CMC just stood in awe as he wrote in neat, beautiful letters: CUTIE MARK CRUSADER ZAP APPLE STAND. Soon lines of Ponyville residents flocked the dusty road, ready to taste the first jam of the season.

While they obviously came for the zap apples, they also gathered around the CMC, asking Capricore for an autograph or two. At first, he felt a little uncomfortable with this newfound celebratory status of his, but decided to play along after a little coaxing from Applebloom, whom was resting on his shoulders like most little sisters. This put him much more at ease as the day of sell and trade drifted on to dusk.