• Published 13th Dec 2011
  • 2,926 Views, 326 Comments

The Stars Beyond The Veil - Charlemane



4131 EC, a year of no importance. After a long shift recovering scrap from a derelict satellite, Horizon Seldat is about to have a very, very bad day.

  • ...
8
 326
 2,926

22.5 - Secure Communication 10:04 AM, September 9, 4131 EC


Communication Systems Chatlog: 41310909-10:04:56
Transcribed from audio

<< Horizon where are you?

>> I’m stopped at an M-NET beacon enroute to Joe’s pickup. It was the closest one I could find. I got your message. What’s the news?

<< So you’re still in your ship? Great. Drop everything and go to Four Corners as fast as you can.

>> The trade hub? Why?

<< No time. I’m sending you a file. The details are in there. Get there as fast as you can.

>> The fuck dude! At least answer my question!

>> Fritter? Hello?

File Transfer Received: “URGENT!”
Sender: Cherry Fritter AS SZ16297
Decrypting…
.
..

.
..

Done.

Contents:
**********
Horizon. Chance sent me his case files just before the raid. I got most of them, but he was still uploading him when they hit. One of my contacts somehow intercepted the order, and he managed to trace it to the system they’re using as their back channel. I need you to get me into that system. Jess won’t like this, probably, but this is our best chance at finding out who these guys are, and our window is very short.

What I need for you to do is to patch in a very specific line of code into the communication server at the Four Corners Bazaar. The communication logs there are archived every three days, and once they hit the database, all the records on the comm server are wiped clean. I have no chance in hell of getting into that database, but we can skim the data as it gets sent which is just as good. But in order to make it work, it needs to be done quietly. If anyone. ANYONE. Finds out about this, then this whole thing is gonna go all sorts of sideways.

I know you don’t like taking risks, and this is a big one, but you wanted answers, and right now, this is the only real lead we have.

You have twelve hours before the wipe. Good luck, and stay safe.
-SZ
This message has (1) attachment(s)
**********

Author's Note:

More later today.