• Published 28th Oct 2018
  • 1,023 Views, 99 Comments

The Canterlot Cannonball - The Blue EM2

  • ...
3
 99
 1,023

Battle of the Giants

The steamroller sat there, on the crossing. Cozy was sporting a look of pure hatred as she looked at Smoulder and Gallus.

“Leave, before I reduced you to paste!” she shouted.

Jet Set wandered over, and took a bill for 1000 bits out of his coat. “Will you do it?” he asked.

Yona had witnessed the entire scene, and shouted in alarm. “NO!” she cried. “Do not take money! They bad ponies!”

Cozy grinned. “I won’t take your money,” she said. “This is personal!”



She pulled a lever, and the steamroller roared into life, belching smoke like a demon as it closed on the tank engine.

“Brace for impact!” Gallus cried. The front roller collided with the tank engine’s buffer-beam, sending the tank engine rolling backwards.

Ocellus was hurled backwards, and smacked into the cab wall. “Oww,” she groaned, sitting up. Reaching for the regulator, she snorted. “Well, if that’s how you want to play it, so be it!” She pulled the regulator open, and the tank engine rolled forward, steam blowing from its cylinders and roaring from its chimney. The engine slammed into the steamroller, knocking it backwards with a bang.

Cozy slammed the brakes on, and the machine stopped. “Here’s one from Tartarus!” she bellowed, the machine trundling forward again and smacking into the engine.

The tank engine rolled backwards, and Ocellus braced herself. “And here’s a blow from Thorax himself!” she cried, as the tank engine blasted forward. Cozy tried to reverse, but it was too late. The engine caught the steamroller’s driving wheel, tipping it over and clear of the track.

The pegasus crawled free of the wreckage of the road engine, and shook her hoof angrily. “This isn’t over!” she shouted.

The engine crew paid her no notice, as the train rolled onwards, its course cleared for Canterlot.

“Well done!” cried Gallus.

“Thanks,” Ocellus replied. “But I think we’ll see more of her.”

They arrived on time in Canterlot. Over the next few weeks, word of the railway’s fame spread. People came from far and wide to ride the train, and see Equestria’s only volunteer run railway.

They certainly made a good amount of profit out of it. Filthy Rich certainly benefitted from the passenger traffic, as people purchased his wares whilst the train was underway.

One evening, Silverstream was adding up the proceeds from the last 3 week’s running. “I’ve got good news!” she said.

“Are we making ends meet?” asked Smoulder.

“Nope!” Silverstream replied, with a grin on her face. “We’re making a profit!”

Ocellus paled. “At this rate, they want to buy the railway back from us!” she cried.

The next morning, the platform was absolutely packed with people. Ocellus looked in amazement as they brought the engine into the platform.

“How will we move all this lot?” she asked.

“With a train,” Gallus sarcastically remarked.

“Apart from the obvious!” Ocellus said, exasperated.

“We’ve moved big crowds before!” the griffon said. “We can move big ones again!”



Filthy Rich boarded the merchandise car, to find another pony standing in his usual spot.

“Hello!” he said. “I’m Filthy Rich, nice to meet you!”

“This is a fine carriage you’ve got here,” he replied. He wore a scarf around his neck, done up in a Windsor knot.

“Well, do you want to buy something?”



Meanwhile, Smoulder was helping load crates of fruit into the van. There were at least 7 to load, and it was very hard work.

“Ah, Smoulder!” called a voice. She turned her head to see Upper Crust.

“What brings you here Mrs Crust?” the dragon asked.

“We at Set and Crust have seen how successful your railway is,” Crust replied. “In light of this, how about we end our rivalry and merge? We can share passengers and goods.”

Smoulder put the last box into position, closed the van door and stepped into the guard’s van. “Frankly,” she said, “I’d rather spend 100 years in Tartarus than 10 seconds working with you.” She blew her whistle and waved her green flag, and away the train went.

Crust wandered back to the chariot, and spoke up. “They didn’t bite.”

“So, we go to the backup plan,” Set replied. “Cozy, you are clear to act.”

Further down the line, Cozy Glow trotted into position, and picked up 3 needles with her muzzle. With precision, she threw them at the water tower. They impacted precisely where intended, the holes causing the water to drain out.

Meanwhile, the train clattered down the line toward the tower, making very good time and causing a wonderful bark to roll off of the hillside. when (what a surprise), Gallus suddenly took off and flew into a nearby field. He reappeared momentarily with a pheasant.

“Got it!” he cried, showing it to Ocellus.

“Ew!” the Changeling replied. “Gross!”

The train rolled to a stop at the water tower, where Ocellus hopped out and pulled up the tank cover. Gallus pulled down on the rope attached to the water tower, waiting for water to come out.

Nothing happened.

He pulled again, and then noticed 3 holes in the side of the water tower.

“It’s sabotage!” he cried. “Water levels were very low, we’ll have to drop the fire!”

“If we drop the fire, it’ll never get going again!” Ocellus replied.

“Well, it’s that or we blow up.”

Just below the railway runs a river. This river is not too broad, so a pony or any other creature can cross by wading it. Ocellus looked at it, and had an idea.

“Everypony!” she called. “We need water or the engine will explode! Come with me!”

The passengers leaped out and galloped down the hill. All except Filthy Rich, that is.

He was most surprised when Yona knocked the mug of cider out of his hand. “What was that for?” he asked.

“We no drink cider!” Yona exclaimed. “We blow up!”

Filthy Rich looked around in shock. “Well, I’d better get out of here!” he cried, as he jumped out of the door.



Meanwhile, Ocellus flew over to a nearby farm, and called out. “Do you have any spare water carriers? We have an engine on the verge of exploding!”

Immediately, the ground was showered in pots, pans, kettles, and many other items. The ponies hurriedly gathered them up and ran back to the river.

Earth ponies filled the utensils, which were then flown to the engine by pegasi. Silverstream even got in on the act, flying buckets back and forth.

All the while, the boiler pressure continued to creep up, and up, and up...

Even more water was dumped into the tanks of the engine, until Gallus cried: “It’s full!”



They all cheered, and clambered back onboard the train. Filthy Rich wandered over to the water tower. “Must remember to fix that,” he said.

There was much merriment in the town that night, but not for Cozy. Her efforts had all been for naught. Even worse, the news was talking about the railway.

“Why is it always trains?” she asked, slamming her hoof on the table.

“Psst!” said a voice. It was Jet Set. “Over here!”

The chariot owners were seated together.

“What is it?” Cozy asked.

“We have a plan to get rid of that railway once and for good,” Crust said. “Here’s what we want you to do...”



Later that evening, Silverstream was awakened by the noise of a steamroller rumbling through town.

“What’s that doing rolling through town at this time of day?” she asked.

“I wouldn't worry about it,” yawned Sandbar.

Silverstream stepped over to the door. “I’m going to go down to the railway,” she said. “I want’ to be sure.”



When she got there, some ponies were wandering around in the darkness. What were they up to?

Silverstream hid in the cab, hoping she wouldn’t be detected, when suddenly a light came on.

Author's Note:

What do you think will happen next! Find out tomorrow!