• Published 27th Oct 2018
  • 3,493 Views, 60 Comments

Prelude to Anon-A-Miss: Sunset's Redemption - CapNTilfy



Set shortly after the Battle of the Bands, Sunset adjusts to her newfound popularity. Book One of Prelude to Anon-A-Miss.

  • ...
11
 60
 3,493

Hanging with the Girls

Lunch period had arrived, and Sunset couldn't get her mind off of Wallflower Blush's rant. She got her food, then walked through the cafeteria. Nearly all of the students she passed asked her to sit with them. Sunset rolled her eyes and sat down with her friends.

"Are you all right, sugarcube," Applejack asked, being the first to notice Sunset's expression of concern.

Sunset sighed. "I don't know," she said. "Just another bit of my past came back to bite me in the ass." She made a sputtering noise.

"I'm sure you'll feel better if you tell us all about it, darling," Rarity said with a gentle smile.

"Yeah," Sunset said. "I'm sure I will." She then proceeded to tell her friends what happened in the halls. When she finished, she sighed again.

Pinkie Pie hissed through her teeth after she finished her chocolate milk. "Yikes," she said. "That's no fun."

Sunset put her head in her hands. "And on top of that, the students here don't seem to want to leave me alone!" She hit her head on the table.

"Welcome to the celebrity life," Rarity said. She received several funny looks. "What?"

"We can keep 'em off your tail," Rainbow offered.

Sunset smiled. "I appreciate it, Rainbow. I'll call on you if I need you."

"Can do," Rainbow said with a nod. "Right, girls," she asked, looking at her other friends. They all nodded in agreement.

----------------------------------------------

Rarity, Applejack, Sunset Shimmer, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash all walked out of the cafeteria together, laughing. They rounded the corner to see Wallflower Blush, leaning against a locker and glaring at the girls. "I think she's supposed to be the bad guy," Pinkie whispered loudly into Sunset's ear.

Wallflower focused her glare on Pinkie. "'Bad guy'," she scoffed. "Says one of the five girls hanging out with the Queen Bitch of Canterlot High," she said, throwing her arms up in disbelief.

"Hey, now," Applejack said, narrowing her eyes. "She don't act like that no more."

"Indeed," Rarity said as she folded her arms. "She's a changed woman."

"Hiding behind your so-called 'friends', Sunset Shimmer," Wallflower asked angrily. "That's cowardly."

"At least she has friends," Rainbow said as she glared at Wallflower.

"And she's not hiding behind us," Fluttershy said. "We're standing with her!"

Wallflower began to shake with fury, then opened her mouth, only for Pinkie to speak. "Ooh," Pinkie squealed excitedly. "Is this the part where you say 'You may have friends now, and you may have fooled all of Canterlot High...but mark my words, Sunset Shimmer! I won't rest until all of CHS knows you haven't changed a bit!'?" Wallflower's eyes widened and her jaw dropped. Fluttershy, Sunset, Rarity, Rainbow and Applejack all had equally bemused expressions on their faces.

"H-How did you..." Wallflower stammered in shock.

"Just a hunch," Pinkie said cheerfully, then grinned widely as a a squeaking noise came from out of nowhere. Wallflower stood still for a moment, then growled in frustration and stomped off in a huff.

"Aww," Pinkie said, slouching in disappointment. "I wanted to hear her rant!" She went back to a normal posture and shrugged. "Oh, well!" She then skipped down the hallway as her friends continued to stare in awe at her.

----------------------------------------------

Wallflower Blush rounded a corner in the halls, then stopped in front of her locker. Her eyes began to mist over as her anger gradually transformed into sadness. She sniffled. "It's not fair," she whispered. "How could someone so cruel become so popular overnight?" She wiped a tear from her eyes. "There's got to be a way to expose Sunset as the cold-hearted bitch she is." She sighed. At least I have plenty of free time to think something up, she thought.

Wallflower opened her locker, took out a couple of textbooks from her bag, then closed it. Maybe I need friends. Someone to back me up when I need it. I just wish I wasn't so shy most of the time. She put the textbooks in her backpack, then zipped it up. She took a deep breath, then exhaled. "First things first, though," she thought aloud. "Gotta get through the rest of the school day."

----------------------------------------------

The school day had ended, and Sunset and her friends left Canterlot High. Sunset folded her arms and looked off to the side as they walked down the steps. "is something the matter, darling," Rarity asked.

Applejack walked up to Sunset and put a hand on her shoulder. "Still thinkin' about Wallflower," she asked.

Sunset nodded. Rarity walked up to her and took her by the hand. "Remember what I said earlier, Sunset," she asked with a gentle smile.

"I know, Rarity," said Sunset. "Still, I can't help but feel bad. What I did to her..." She trailed off and sighed.

"What you did to her was in the past. And the past isn't today," Rarity said.

"My past is not today..." Sunset said as though she were mesmerized.

Rarity blinked. "That's not quite what I said, but it sounds good nonetheless."

"Yeah," Sunset said with a growing smile. "I like the sound of it."

"Kinda makes you wanna get on the school's roof and sing about it, huh," Pinkie asked. Her friends all gave her weird expressions. "What," she asked innocently. "I'd do it," she said, pointing her thumb at herself.

"We know," the girls said in near unison. Everyone laughed.

"Thanks, guys," Sunset said happily. "I don't know where I'd be without you."

"I'm just glad we don't have to think about it," Fluttershy said.

"Guys," Rainbow shouted. "The buses are leaving!" Everyone said their goodbyes and boarded their respective buses.

---------------------------

Later that day, before bed, Sunset grabbed her journal and wrote in it.

Dear Princess Twilight,

How have things been going for you lately? I can only imagine what sort of boring, diplomatic princess stuff you must be up to. Either that or saving Equestria from a force of evil bent on taking it over.

Sunset waited for a moment as she laid on her back on her couch. Her book vibrated and she got up and opened it.

Hey Sunset.

It's been a little bit of both, actually. Though I don't think diplomacy is boring. I've had sleepless nights trying to organize the Equestrian Grad Pony Summit, I had to entertain yaks, made up with an old friend, and most recently, my friends and I had to prevent a creature of nightmares created by Princess Luna (long story) from getting into the real world.

Sunset blinked in surprise. She wrote back, telling Princess Twilight all that happened over the course of the day.

Rarity's right, you know.

Sunset smiled warmly. She wrote back.

I do.

Sunset yawned.

I'd love to chat some more, Twilight, but I'm all worn out. Talk to you later.

Sunset closed the book, then walked up the stairs to her loft. She held out her hand and strummed each guitar she passed by. "Music to my ears," she said. "That never gets old." She crawled into bed and turned out the light, falling asleep almost instantly.