• Published 24th Oct 2018
  • 1,013 Views, 10 Comments

Shadow And The Heart - DR-Fluffy



When the Main 6 lose their connection to the Elements of Harmony, Twilight decides that it’s time for a new generation to take over, and who better than the children of the Main 6.

  • ...
3
 10
 1,013

Chapter 5: And Days Go On

Raspberry Pie sat at a booth at Sugarcube Corner, staring down at her morning cupcake. It’s pink frosting taunted her with its sweet goodness. It was the antithesis of her life made manifest. Oh how she was having such a good morning. She got a letter from her father that said he would be back in town by the end of the week, she and her mom even sung a song about it. She had stopped in to top off her good mood with a snack before school, but she got the cupcake with too much frosting. Her life was now over. She couldn’t simply not eat the cupcake, because than she would be too hungry to make it through school, but if she ate it. She could only stare at the fate that awaited her.

“Raspberry, are you ok?” She was pulled away from her torment by a stallion, whose gaze was like a fresh morning breeze. She looked into Pound Cake’s dark eyes and for a moment lost herself. She stared into those brown marbles and forgot her troubles, but as a hoof waved in front of her face she was brought back into the moment.

“Oh…um…Yes, I’m ok.” Raspberry looked down at her cupcake.

“Is there something wrong with it?”

“Well, not really… it’s just that this cupcake has more frosting than normal, so if I eat it I’m going to get tired of sweets before I even get to lunch. But because I’ll need to keep up my energy to get through the rest of the day, I’ll have to eat more sweets at lunch, only adding to my growing distaste for sweets. By the time I get home I’ll loath the mere sight of sweets, and when my parents find out about this I’ll be kicked out of the house and have nowhere to go… and … and, Pound Cake I don’t know what to do!”

Pound Cake gave a long and heavy sigh, with an expression that said he wasn’t surprised by the out burst. He stepped around the table and picked up the roll of silverware that rested at the edge. He fished out the fork from the napkin wrapping, and with one swing of his hoof, he knocked the frosting off of the cupcake. “Raspberry, you need to learn to deal with this stuff on your own.”

“I know.” Raspberry took the fork that Pound had left on the plate and pushed the frosting farther away. Her cheeks burned even as she thought of what to say next, “But I can always count on you to help me.”

Pound rolled his eyes. “Yeah sure, it’s not like I have anything better to do, between learning to run the shop and contemplating the fact that I’m never going to leave Ponyville, helping you is practically the highlight of my day.”

“Do you really mean that,” Raspberry asked, her eyes growing large, oblivious to the meaning behind the words.

“Yeah, whatever.”

From the corner of her eye, Raspberry caught sight of Ballpoint walking past the window. She didn’t know Ballpoint that well, but like her mother said: Every opportunity is one in which you can make friends. What better way than on the walk to school. She tossed her cupcake into her mouth and ate it in one bite. “I need to head to school, see you later, Pound.”



Ballpoint followed the stone-laid path in front of him. His nose was buried in the book that he kept suspended with magic. The current book he was reading, The Chronicles of Clover, was a biography of Clover the Clever and the trials she went through in developing her spells. Though it wasn’t his normal reading, it was still far above the likes of Daring Do, who his mother still insisted was based on a true story. He was expected to believe that characters such as Ahuizotl were real. He would have found it laughable, but his book wasn’t free of faults. In one chapter the author described how Clover chased a thief into a realm of hairless apes and had sealed away a powerful artifact there. Though only mentioned briefly, it showed that even the best of authors could give way to whimsy.

“Hi, Ballpoint!” A pink annoying plea called to him from behind, making him lose his concentration. He walked faster, hoping she would take the hint. His hooves clopped on the wooden bridge, as he looked for where he had left off. He had just spotted the line, when Livewire hopped onto the bridge railing and jumped into his patch with yet another cry of, “Hi, Ballpoint!”

With his nose in a book and his ears flat against his head, Ballpoint ran straight into the mare. Both of them fell forward, Ballpoint’s book flew from his grasp and over the side of the bridge, into the waiting water below. They were quick to right themselves. Livewire stammered out an apology as she rubbed her hooves in embarrassment. Ballpoint wasn’t even paying her any attention, instead he was watching his book sink lower and lower into the water. Livewire followed his eyes and her ears fell back.

“I am so sorry! I didn’t mean—“

Ballpoint stopped her with the rise of a hoof. “Don’t bother, I have another copy at home.” And his mother thought it was dumb to have multiple copies of the same book. “What do you need, so early in the morning, that I had to trip over you?”

Livewire gave an uncomfortable laugh and let her eyes dance around, until they fell on the clouds above. “Um… nice weather today.”

Ballpoint wasn’t expecting much from the mare, yet he was still disappointed. “Quite, now if you will excuse me. I need to get to school,” he move to pass her, yet if there was one thing he had learned since his time at the new school it was to never have high expectations for the fools around him. Because, no matter how low you set them they will still find a way to come up wanting.

Livewire turned quickly as Ballpoint stepped off the bridge, and said something that made him stop in his tracks, “I want to talk about sciencey stuff. I know a lot about it, and I know you know a lot about it, so I thought we could talk about science and magic… or something like that.”

Ballpoint just stared at her for a long moment, as she tried and failed to keep from fidgeting. He briefly wondered how the others may react to this revelation. Witherleaf would find endless means to make fun of her. Golden Apple would use it as an excuse for more of his overcompensating nonsense, as if two marefriends wasn’t enough. Jazmin would just go along with whatever Witherleaf and Flurry Heart said. As for Shade Cloud and Flurry Heart, he wasn’t too sure, but probably not much of anything, given their aloof attitudes. Yet knowing all of this, he found himself oddly intrigued about what Livewire may know, if anything at all. He stepped closer and asked, “What are Starswirls first three laws on magic?”

“One, the strength of the spell is directly proportionate to the mana put into the spell. Two, It is impossible to fully restore your own mana with rejuvenation-type spells, as some mana is always lost. Three, all spells, no matter their complexity or their power, can last no longer than 1444.8733 unicornion time, translated to modern time tables and that would make it roughly one thousand years,” Livewire finished in one long breath, a proud smile on her face.

Ballpoint had to touch his face to ensure that his jaw hadn’t fallen off. It was right, everything she said was word for word. Ballpoint narrowed his eyes. It was exactly word for word. “Tell me, what is your opinion on Clover the Clever’s spell: Kinesummon Du Jugate, one of the first known summoning spells?”

“Oh that spell was amazing. Clover was really ahead of her time.”

Ballpoint rose and eyebrow. “Really, even after she summoned aliens from another dimension that ate half the ponies present?”

“W-well, um… she couldn’t have known that was going to happen, and I mean they stopped the aliens in the end.”

“Oh of course, they only ate a third of the continent and a few million ponies.”

Livewire nodded rapidly. “Yes, while that was bad, a lot of ponies focus on that and not how amazing the spell truly is.” Livewire stopped as something occurred to her. She knew enough history to know that the number of ponies in the world had only recently reached the millions. She kicked at the wooden planks beneath her as she meekly asked, “None of that happened, did it?”

In response, Ballpoint began to walk away. “Wait!” Livewire cried once more. “I can explain.” She trotted to his side and kept pace with him.

“Just tell me,” Ballpoint asked. “How did you know the first three laws?”

Livewire answered with a sheepish smile, “I paid attention to the books you always read, so I checked a few of them out of the library and memorized all the parts I thought you would ask about… is that weird? I don’t want to come off as weird. I just wanted to talk with you, but you are always reading, so I thought that if I read some of the stuff you read we would have something to talk about. And… well that’s it. ”

Ballpoint didn’t answer. He was certain that if any of the others were in his place now they would undoubtedly ridicule Livewire, and perhaps for good reason, yet Ballpoint found her oddly admirable in her pursuit of knowledge, if not overbearing. It certainly moved her above the other peons in their class. How many of them even knew what Starswirl’s first law was, Flurry Heart perhaps, but the others likely didn’t even know who Starswirl was let alone his laws. “So, can we walk to class together?”

“We are heading to the same place, at the same time, on the same path, so at this point it’s rather unavoidable.”

“Yay!” Livewire cried jovially. “It’s unavoidable.”

***

Golden Apple place yet another bucket of apples onto the cart, not even half full with his days quota. Though some may argue that he could get his work done faster if not for the two beauties, that he spent most of his time watching, but he wasn’t one of them. He leaned against the cart and took a short breather. Among the field of apples the mare with a honey coat and a mane of thick dark curls bucked a tree with precision of an expert. But that was to be expected, as he had taught Honey Oak himself.

The apples fell from the tree in mass, down onto the ground, completely missing the buckets. Golden sighed, at least she could buck them well enough. The blow of the wind drew his eyes up to the teal blue vixen that soared above with her blond mane in two pigtails. With wings out stretched, she angled her body for the tree across from Honey Oak. Rain Dancer hovered at her target, and much like a dragon flapping it’s wings downward, the wind flowed past Rain Dancer and through the tree, sending every lose apple to the ground. Not a one hit the bucket.

Rain flittered to the ground, her chest puffed out proudly. “I got twice as many apples as you, Honey! You saw that didn’t you Golden?” Golden just gave a nod as he watch the two bicker.

Honey Oak turned up her nose has she shouted back from the other side of the cart, “Yeah, well I got two trees to your one. You take too long flappin’ about,”

“I have to build up speed!”

“And while you’re out flying me and Golden have to do all the work.” she stepped around the cart and leaned against Golden, “Isn’t that right?”

If Golden Apple had learned only one thing from his father it was that you never, EVER, take sides when mares are going at it, especially when those mares are your marefriends. He put a hoof over Honey and stretched out the other for Rain, who eagerly trotted into his embrace. “Now, now, you two, there’s no need to fight. I could have never done so much today if not for both of you two helpin’ out,”

“I see you three are as busy as ever.” At the sound of Golden Hay’s deep voice the group broke apart.

“Hey, dad, we’re just, you know, takin’ a break.” Golden Hay looked to the apples that littered the ground, and to the cart yet to be filled with the afternoons quota.

“I can see that. I’ve finished my section for the day so thought I’d come see how you and your – helpers— were doing,” said Golden Hay as he turned his gaze on the two mares. “Thanks for the help, ladies, but I think it’s time ya headed on home. His mother and I would like for him to finish his chores before sunset.”

With a pouting lip from both mares they answered as one, “Yes, Mister Hay,” they leaned in together and kissed Golden Apple’s cheek.

“I’ll see you first thing after school, Golden,” said Rain Dancer.

“I’m counting down until this weaken,” said Honey Oak.

The two mares were down the road, and long out of ear shot, before Golden Hay turned back to his son. “Now I know we agreed to let your marefriends help out on the farm, but if the three of you together can’t fill one cart your mother is going to throw a fit,”

“Well if I wasn’t being forced to go to this school.”

Hay held up a hoof to stop the rant before it could go on. “I know. I know, and it’s because your mother made this decision on her own that we’re let’m come over, but she’s bein’ more stubborn on this than Granny during zap apple season.” Golden Apple looked away, irritation clear on his face. “Look, I’m not a fan of this either, but for the time bein’ just put up with it. At least until the semester is over.,”

Golden held his look of irritation yet nodded, consigned to his fate. “Yeah, I understand.”

Hay gazed around the field once more. “Need any help with all this?”

“No, I can handle this much.”

“Good, try not to be late for supper.”



After nearly an hour, Golden loaded the last of the baskets, filled to the brim, onto the cart. He whipped the sweat from his brow and admired the last of his work. Just as he was about to strap himself into the cart to take it to the barn, a voice startled him from behind.

Golden spun around quickly, nearly stumbling over his hooves at the sight of a unicorn with a dangling camera around his neck. “Where did you come from, and why are you out here?" Asked Golden.

“I guess you could say I got lost,” said the unicorn. “The name is Snap Shot,”

Golden looked to the rolls of trees that surrounded them. “Lost is an understatement.” He pointed down one roll and gave out the directions back to Ponyville

Snap Shot smiled in thanks. “While I’m here, do you mind if I ask you a few questions?”

Golden looked down at the camera. “Should have known,” he muttered. He walked to the front of the cart and began to hitch himself on. “You can ask, but that doesn’t mean I’ll answer.” Golden began a slow trot down the field to the sound of snapping twigs and a squeaky wheel.

Snap Shot kept pace at his side. “Fair enough, than I will ask and you can answer whatever you feel like.” Golden gave no reply as Snap shot began his questioning. “According to the news the Heroes of Equestria have decided to place their children in a private school together,”

“There’s also Flurry Heart.” Golden added.

“Quite, the sheltered princess of the Crystal Empire. Tell me what’s it like having her in your class?”

“About the same as having the other princess in my class,” Golden quipped.

“I get the feeling that you are a rather popular stallion, so perhaps you will know what kind of foods Flurry Heart likes, or the types of gifts she would like?”

Golden looked at the unicorn as they walked, an eyebrow raised. “I don’t exactly pay attention to what she eats, I’m too focused on … other parts,” he finished with a cocky smile.

“I see, than I have only one more question for you: Is Flurry heart happy?”

Golden stopped on the path, letting the dust kicked up by the cart settle around them. Snap Shot wasn’t the first reporter to come around asking questions. Though they didn’t come around too often, being a child of a national hero, he’d dealt with quite a few of them. He always followed his mother’s advice to give them just enough information to answer their question, but not enough to write a story on. Yet this reporter seemed to already have a story in mind and was fishing for justification, with how single minded he was in his questions. “Listen, I don’t know what your interest in Flurry is, but I can tell you right now that if Twilight catches wind of you asking around she’s going to personally throw your flank out of the city.”

“I see,” Snap Shot lowered his head into a bow that even Granny would say was old fashioned. “Thank you for your time.” he rose once more and began a slow trot out of the orchard.

“If I had to give an answer to that question,” Golden shouted to the unicorn. “It would be yes, she is happy. She may try to hide it, but I’ve caught sight of a few smiles myself.”

“Once again, you have my thanks,” with nothing more said Snap shot left the orchard.

***

Shadow trotted away from Sweet Apple Orchard at a steady pace. He wasn’t expecting to get much information out of Flurry’s worthless classmates, although he got more than he was expecting. Still it seemed if he wanted any reliable information he would need to go to Flurry Heart herself.

The thought of finally facing her after so many years made his shoulders sag and his mouth run dry. Yet he had too. His time was precious and he couldn’t linger in the city forever. Even then he could hear the subtle whispering of the Call in the back of his mind, the ever present reminder of Sombra.

But that left another issue he had to deal with before he could think of facing Flurry: What would he say? They hadn’t so much as exchanged letters in six years. Maybe he should start with something small, like the weather. Everyone had something to say about the weather.

Yes. This could work.