• Published 24th Oct 2018
  • 1,018 Views, 10 Comments

Shadow And The Heart - DR-Fluffy



When the Main 6 lose their connection to the Elements of Harmony, Twilight decides that it’s time for a new generation to take over, and who better than the children of the Main 6.

  • ...
3
 10
 1,018

Chapter 4: First Day of School

It was finally Monday, the day when classes were to start. For some reason Twilight and the other mothers all seem to think that forcing their social outcast children to spend time together was going to spontaneously blossom into friendship. Flurry Heart didn’t hold out much hope for this plan.

Her mother on the other hoof, seemed to think it did, because according to Twilight she had given her ok for Flurry to attend school here, and would be sending the rest of her belongings in a few days. Flurry didn’t believe it. Not that Twilight was lying, but there was no way Cadence would give in so easily on this. Flurry had the feeling there was a lot of begging, arguing, tears, and maybe a pact with a daemon or two. She kept expecting Cadence to show up with an army of Crystal Guards to take her back, a fact that was becoming less likely every day, and she didn’t know if that was a good thing or not.

Flurry stared at the clock for a few more minutes before finally rolling out of bed. No matter how much she kept staring time wasn’t going to stop for her. Unlike her bedroom in the Crystal Empire, the one she was given in Twilight’s palace didn’t have its own bathroom. Apparently, the designer had gone for a more classic style. According to Twilight, the castle didn’t even have indoor plumbing when she first got it, but when your architect is a tree that is to be expected. Flurry left her room and trotted down the hall to the bathroom. As she approached, she immediately regretted not getting out of bed sooner.

Witherleaf was camped out in front of the bathroom, clearly waiting her turn. “Good morning, Flurry,” she said while rubbing the sleep from her eyes. “You may be better off going to a different bathroom. Jazmin has been in their for an hour now.”

Flurry groaned in irritation. How was it that in a castle with ten bathrooms they were always fighting over the same one. Flurry banged on the door and shouted, “Jazmin, hurry up!” There was no answer, only the sound of running water.

“Why are you girls not ready yet?” Both girls looked away from the door to see Twilight approaching them. “Class will be starting in a few hours, and I am not going to have you be late when the classroom is in the castle,”

Witherleaf pointed to the door. “It’s not our fault, Jazmin won’t get out of the bathroom.”

Twilight rubbed the spot just below her horn. “Celestia give me strength,” she muttered, before lowering her hoof and saying, “Use. Another. Bathroom!”

“But this one has the biggest tub,” Flurry pointed out quickly.

“Yeah, and all of the good shampoo is in there as well.”

“Flurry Heart, use the bathroom in my room. Witherleaf, take some of the extra shampoo from there and quickly get ready,” Twilight stepped past both of them and banged her hoof on the door. “Jazmin, you have ten minutes, wrap it up.”

With directions given they headed off to get ready for their first day of school.

***

The class room was located on the first floor near the library. With a bit of magic, Twilight had merged a few empty rooms together into one. Seven desks were lined in two rows across from a large blackboard. Most of the light in the room came from the large window in the sidewall. When they entered the classroom, Flurry Heart was surprised to see Livewire standing in there, staring at the desks with a look of indecision. “Why are you here so early?” She asked, stepping closer inside.

“So much for my few moments of quiet before class,” Jazmin muttered, as she walked passed and took a seat in the front row.

Livewire turned quickly on her hooves and waved to everyone. “I just showed up early to pick out the best seat.”

Why she needed to pick out a ‘best’ seat was left unsaid. Flurry looked to Witherleaf who had the same question in her eyes, but shrugged and trotted off to one of the back desk. Flurry pointed to the closet desk and asked, “Why not this one?”

“Because I don’t want to join the circus,” the answer was immediate and spoken as if it was the simplest thing in the world.

Flurry looked to the desk than back to Livewire. “I’m going to need some clarification here. What does a circus have to do with anything?”

“Oh that's simple, that desk is closer to the teacher’s desk, so if I sat there I would always be called on to answer questions. But because I don’t know the answers, everyone would laugh at me. Everyone would tell their families about me, and before you know it all of the city would be laughing at me, leaving me no choice but to run away to join the circus.”

Flurry stared at her, slacked jawed, for a long moment. “You put a lot of thought into this, I see.”

She smiled wide while nodding her head. “Mom says that I should always think about my actions before I do something.”

It was doubtful that was what her mother had in mind, but Flurry wasn't willing to bring that subject up so early in the day. She took the seat next to Witherleaf and faintly heard Livewire whisper, “So much for that seat.”

Shade Cloud was the first to arrive. She stood at the door and eyed everyone, like she was trying to determine if this was just a bad dream. Witherleaf and Jazmin both seemed content to ignore her. With a defeated sigh, she dropped her head and shuffled over to one of the back desk, before pulling it with a loud grading noise to the corner.

The other two arrived shortly after and quickly took their seats, leaving Livewire little choice but to take the last open seat in the front. With everyone seated all we could do was wait impatiently for Twilight to begin class. Witherleaf had already dug out a bag of her Root Weed and was munching on them. “Should you really be eating that stuff now?” Flurry asked.

“You can’t expect me to get through school sober, can you?” Witherleaf said as she offered the bag. “Want some?”

Flurry shook her head. “I would like to be able to follow along with the lessen.”

The door to the room open and Twilight trotted inside, levitating a stack of books behind her. She placed the books on the teacher’s desk, at the front of the room, and turned to address the class, “Good morning everyone. I know this school term is going to take some getting used to for all of us, but let’s try to get along and have a good time.” Deadpan looks and silence greeted her in response. She cleared her throat. “Anyway, we have an announcement to make before class can begin. I’m sure some of you were under the impression that I would be your teacher, unfortunately I’m too busy to teach you myself.”

‘Wait a second, if Twilight wasn’t the teacher does that mean…’ Flurry thought as a cold realization washed over her, ‘oh no… no, no, no!’

“I’m sure everyone has met her before, nonetheless let me introduce her.” Twilight waved a hoof at the door just as a unicorn mare trotted in. “My former student, Starlight Glimmer.”

Flurry’s head hit the desk with an audible bang. It was one of the few good things about having to school here, not having to deal with her. Now she was stuck with her again, so much for looking on the brighter side of things.

Witherleaf gave her a curious look. “What’s wrong? Is she a member of the friendship cult or something?” she asked half-jokingly. But as Flurry turned her head with an incredulous look, Witherleaf’s face fell. “She’s not really, right? They wouldn’t do that to us, would they?”

Oh the poor naive mare, Flurry couldn’t help but pity her. She still held out hope that she would escape this school year with her dignity intact, Flurry held no such hope.

“I have to be going,” said Twilight. “But I’m sure Starlight has everything under control.”

“Not to worry, Principal Twilight.” Starlight gave Twilight a wink to which they both started laughing.

“Kill. Me. Now.” Shade Cloud muttered from her corner of the room.

The door closed softly when Twilight exited the room. Starlight stepped up to the chalkboard and wrote out her name. “As this is our first day, I thought it would be a good idea for each of us to come to the front and tell a little about ourselves.” Starlight gave a smile that was simply too happy, it was always too happy. “I’ll go first. For the last few years I’ve been living in the Crystal Empire, serving as Flurry Hearts personal tutor. My interest include, reading, studying magic, and kite flying.” When she was done with her introduction she took a seat behind her desk. “Now who would like to go first?”

Witherleaf enthusiastically shot out a hoof. “Me, I know this one… I mean, I’ll do it.” considering she had just finished off the entire bag of root weed, Flurry thought it would be entertaining.

“I like your enthusiasm, ok go ahead.”

One could only guess at the thought process in which Witherleaf tried to flit from her seat to the front of the room. But by the way she jumped from her seat she barely had her wings extended before she rammed into the ceiling with a loud ‘oaf’ and spiraled back down onto the floor. Starlight was out of her seat before Witherleaf hit the ground. “Are you alright!?”

Golden Apple was wiping tears from his eyes as he laughed. “I’ll give you a five on the takeoff, but a three for the landing.”

Witherleaf shook her head as she stumbled back to her feet. She looked up to the ceiling like it was the reason she fell, and not the blatantly stupid idea to fly indoors. “Did someone lower the ceiling, because I can’t remember it being that low.”

Seeing that Witherleaf was unharmed, Starlight let her worried expression fall. “That would be the reason flying in doors is not allowed.”

“Oh yeah… I forgot.”

When Starlight took her seat once more she took a deep breath before her wide smile returned. “Now your introduction.”

“Right, that’s what I was doing,” said Witherleaf, she faced everyone and began. “My name is… um… that is, the thing that I call myself… isss not important right now. Everyone knows my name, so let’s move on to the stuff you don’t know about me. Like did you know I like flying, well I guess every pegasi likes flying, but did you know to really be good at flying you have to know yourself inside and out.” She spread her wings and showed off her green feathers to the class. She turned her head to admire her appendage. “Look at these beautiful… WHAT THE BUCK IS THAT!” She started running around in a circle, like a dog chasing its tail, as she ran after her right wing. This went on for near a full minute until Witherleaf tripped and fell face first onto her wing. Her head jerked up a moment later. “It was lent, just lent! Crisis averted!”

The class was in an uproar now, no one was even trying to keep a straight face as everyone laughed at Witherleaf. Witherleaf didn’t seemed to care and started laughing along. That was of course until Starlight lost her patience. With a cry of “Quiet!” The room fell dead silent, except for Witherleaf, of course, who still didn’t seem to care. “Witherleaf, look me in the eyes,” Starlight said with a stern expression.

Witherleaf untangled herself from the floor but didn’t look at the teacher. “Miss Starlight, I don’t think my mom would like you coming on to me like this. I think it’s best if we maintained a student teacher relationship.”

“LOOK. AT. ME!”

Slowly Witherleaf turned her head to face a very annoyed Starlight. “You have very pretty eyes.”
The moment her bloodshot eyes were in sight, there wasn’t a soul in the room who didn’t know what was coming next when Starlight started shifting through the notes on her desk. “I can explain!” Witherleaf tried to defend herself, yet as Starlight’s horn was wrapped in a blue aura, she tried to scramble away, but was far too sluggish to have any hope of dodging, and the spell hit home. “No, my buzz!”

When Witherleaf had calmed, Starlight pointed to the desk. “Just take your seat. I will be informing your mother about this later.” Under her breath she added. “I can’t believe I actually needed that spell.” once more Starlight took in a breath and switched back to her happy persona. “Who would like to go next?”

With far less flair than Witherleaf, Jazmin trotted up to the front of the room. “Let’s just get this over with,” she muttered. With a deep breath she began. “Before I was forced to enroll in this laughing stock of a school, I had a life. I was friends with some of the social elite… ok I was friends with their children, but that is still quite an accomplishment for someone my age. I was building a social circle that I could have used to get ahead in life, but now it’s all gone! Once word got out about how I’m being forced to school with you inbred country bumpkins, my social status crumbled to dust. My life is over!” Jazmin looked over to were Witherleaf and Flurry was sitting and her tone became all too chipper. “Not counting you, Flurry Heart, Witherleaf, naturally.”

“Naturally,” They answered as one, the sarcasm dripping from their voices.

“That was not quite what I had in mind,” said Starlight, as Jazmin took her seat. Eyes darted elsewhere as she looked over the students before her. “Raspberry, why don’t you go next?”

Livewire jumped when her name was called. She glanced around the room, as if expecting there to be another Raspberry. She pointed to herself and asked, “Um, me… are you sure?” Starlight confirmed with a few encouraging words. Enough to get Livewire to the front of the room and stay relatively calm. “So, I’m Raspberry Pie, but everyone just calls me Livewire. Moms says it’s because I’m the life of the party.”

“Tell that pegasi joke again!” Golden shouted.

“NO! That joke is forbidden, but I know something just as good.” from her mane, she pulled out two party poppers and held one in each hoof. She pulled a string with her teeth and red confetti shot out of each. “Ta da!” She cried with a wide smile on her face, as the confetti floated through the air.

“We’re not five!” said Jazmin.

“But… I-I thought everyone liked confetti,” her confidence waned as she mumbled. She looked at the party poppers in her hooves for a long moment before throwing them in front of her, both of whom hit Ballpoint in the head.

“Why me!” cried Ballpoint. Livewire ignored him and trotted back to her desk, her head down.

Starlight didn’t say anything as Livewire took her seat, but mouth the words “just a few more,” she looked to the colt who had just spoken up, “Ballpoint, your—“

“No,” he interrupted, while propping his head on a hoof, a bored expression on his face.

“Excuse me?”

Ballpoint set up straight and looked at her. “Miss Starlight, this entire activity is pointless. We already know each other enough that we are well past the point of introductions, so can we please move on?”

“But…” Starlight stumbled for her words as she looked over everyone. “Does anyone else wish to go next, anyone at all?” Heads were ducking down, everyone was trying to find something else to do, even Shade Cloud was trying to blend into the shadows like a discount Batmare.

Starlight’s eyes fell on Flurry Heart with some vestige of hope, but was quickly dashed when she started examining the wood surface of her desk. She didn’t have as much of a problem being there as everyone else, it was still better than the gilded cage. However, growing up Starlight had wanted her to gain a few friends, even if she didn’t want them, and would have her play endless amount of her ‘friendship games’ with other fillies over the years that now she wanted no part in them.

Starlight’s shoulders sagged visibly. “Fine! We’ll skip them for now.” Starlight grabbed the stack of books on her desk with magic and past them out. “We’ll move on to math.”

Golden Apple glared at Ballpoint from the back roll. “Thanks a lot, dork. Now we have actual work to do.”

“You could have volunteered at any time,” Ballpoint countered.

“No way, that’s gay.”

A book slammed down on Golden’s desk and Starlight almost growled as she said, “It’s time for math, save the discussion for after class.”

‘She kept that smile going far longer than expected,’ thought Flurry. Opening up the textbook she had the feeling it was going to be a long day.

***
“Freedom!” Witherleaf cried as she flung herself out of the classroom door and onto the floor.

“No need to be so dramatic,” Starlight called out from her desk. She read over stacks of worksheets, as the rest of the children gathered their belongings to head home. Flurry Heart was just about to follow along behind Witherleaf when Shade Cloud stepped into her path and blocked the way.

The two stared at each other. Flurry’s uncomfortable smile meeting Shade Cloud’s deadpan look. Flurry had no idea what to say, apart from the day she arrived, she had yet to properly speak with the overly quiet pegasus. When the awkwardness seemed like it would never end, Shade Cloud spoke, “Do you like Sugarcube Corner?”

Flurry had to blink a few times at the strangeness of the question. “I don’t understand?”

“Just answer the question!” Shade Cloud snapped, causing Flurry to flinch back.

“I, um, don’t hate them. They have good food if you don’t mind sweets.”

“Good, that’s good,” said Shade Cloud, almost unsure of what to say next. “In that case, we’re going to Sugarcube.”

By the constant deadpan look, Flurry wasn’t sure if she was being asked or ordered to go. She didn’t have much in the way plans, her schedule had been unusually bare since her arrival in Ponyville. Though she wasn’t too keen on spending time alone with this mare; she still remembered that passing comment Witherleaf made about a knife. Looking around the smaller pony, Flurry could still see Witherleaf picking herself off the ground. “I see no reason I can’t go, but why don’t we bring Witherleaf along?”

Flurry didn’t miss the flash of irritation on the pegasus’ face. “No,” Shade Cloud said simply and to the point.

“Did someone say Sugarcube Corner?” Called Witherleaf as she poked her head back into the room. “Also I’m like five feet away, so I can still hear you.”

Shade Cloud glared at Witherleaf with her one visible eye, and gave a loud huff. “I thought you were still grounded?”

Witherleaf smiled, that nothing good will come from this smile she had perfected to a tee, as she answered. “In my mother’s ever growing attempts to get me to join her cult, she has agree to let me off early if I ‘hang out with friends,’ and I have the feeling we’re in the same boat there. Unless, of course, you’ve suddenly grown fondness for cults and all things friendship.” she placed a wing over Shade Cloud as she added, “Ready to go, buddy?”

Shade Cloud turned sharply and stomped out the door, “It’s for my drawings, It’s for my drawings,” she muttered the whole while.


In a tucked away booth at Sugarcube Corner three ponies sat. Witherleaf and Flurry Heart sat on one side with Shade Cloud on the other. Each side stared at the other as a stiff atmosphere clouded the group.

“Wow, look at this place,” Witherleaf said, more to fill the quiet than to say anything meaningful. “They’ve got tables and windows, and is that a new coat of paint on that wall. It’s completely different from the last time I was here, like a week ago,”

A tall young pegasus stallion trotted up to the table. He had a light golden coat with his brown mane combed back. He wore an apron and held a notepad in a wing. “Sorry for the wait, what can I get you?”

“Pound Cake, it’s been like three minutes! What took you so long?”

With his free wing, Pound gestured around the room. There were only a few other ponies in the normally bustling bakery, which wasn't entirely unsurprising given the time of day. Most of their business came from the early morning and late evening hours, their group just so happen to hit the lull in the day. “My parents had to make a supply run, Pinkie is making deliveries, and with Pumpkin off at school, I’m on my own here,”

“Ah, one of those days. I can totally relate to that,” said Witherleaf, and was rewarded with three pairs of inquisitive eyes. “What? I’m a very relatable pony.”

“Anyway, we will have three banana splits,” said Flurry. Pound nodded and quickly jotted the order down before trotting off.

Turning her attention to the melancholic pony, Flurry asked, "Why did you ask for me to come out with you?"

Shade Cloud glanced off to the side, looking from the groups of ponies that filled the room. “My mother said I should bring someone here, and that if I could make some friends she may consider giving me back my sketchpad. But it doesn’t matter, I just have to put up with this until my father returns from his trip.”

“I meant why me specifically?” Flurry clarified. Before Shade Cloud could consider the question another pony trotted up to their booth.

“Hi everyone,” said Livewire, as she shifted her weight from one hoof to another. “W-what... a surprise to run into you here.” From the stares of the three mares, Livewire felt like she would brake, but held her shaky smile.

“Yeah,” Witherleaf agreed. “It’s almost like we talked about coming here in front of the class or something.”

“I know, what a coincidence. Anyway, I was thinking... since you guys are here, and I’m here, maybe...”

“Maybe you could go pick up our order for us?” Witherleaf interrupted. “That’s a great idea. Pound is taking his sweet time,”

Livewire gave a forced laugh so abrupt that even the other tables could tell she was faking it. “Of course that’s what I was talking about. I’ll, um, go take care of that.” Still laughing, Livewire all but ran to the back of the bakery.

“Was that necessary?” asked Flurry. As entertaining as it was to watch the many ways in which ponies could make Livewire squirm, it was starting to become quite pathetic.

“Hey, do you ask why starving ponies eat grass?”

“I hate her,” Shade Cloud chimed in, as she watched the pony disappear behind swinging doors. “Her lack of a backbone is disgusting,” She looked over to Witherleaf. “And I hate you. You’re just plain annoying. I also hate Golden Apple, Jazmen, and that know it all Ballpoint. But I don’t really hate you Flurry, that’s why I asked you,”

“Thanks... I think.”

“Don’t get the wrong idea, I don’t like you. I don’t really know you well enough to hate you, and compared to the others, well I had to pick someone.”

Flurry wasn’t sure how to take that, but thought it would be best for everyone involved if she just considered it a compliment and moved on. “Don’t worry, Flurry,” said Witherleaf. “For her that’s practically a declaration of love.

Shade Cloud looked as if she was going to voice her thoughts about the pegasus once more, but Livewire returned with their order. She place a bow fill with bananas, ice cream, sprinkles, and all topped with a single chary in front of each mare. “That’s everything,” said Livewire. “Now that you have your order, do you think that... maybe... I mean if it’s not too much trouble, if I could—”

Whatever she was going to ask was abruptly cut off by Pound Cake, as he called from the back of the bakery, “Raspberry, can you take the order of the ponies who just came in?”

Livewire teetered for a moment, looking between the group before her and to Pound, who watched waiting for an answer. The mental struggle she was having lasted only a moment as she called back to Pound, “No problem, I’m on it.” With great reluctance she trotted off to the other table.

Flurry watched her for a moment, feeling less and less in the mood for the sweet snack. Witherleaf, on the other hoof, shoveled the biggest piece of ice cream she could fit onto her spoon in her mouth, not a care in the world. Shade Cloud took a single bite but pulled the bow away with a grimace.

“Is something wrong?” Asked Flurry.

“No, I just don’t like ice cream. It’s too sweet,”

“You don’t even like ice cream!” said Witherleaf, somehow facehoofing while shoving in more ice cream.

Shade Cloud looked over to the hanging clock. With a relieved sigh she rose from her seat. “I’ve been here long enough for it to count as ‘bonding,’ so I am going home.” Without another word she trotted away from the table.

“Nice speaking with you, I guess,” called Flurry.

Witherleaf took the abandoned bow of ice cream and dumped its contents into her bow. With little apatite left, Flurry looked around the room. More and more ponies were showing up as the evening drew closer, one of whom made her do a double take. On the surface he looked like a normal unicorn stallion, but it was the camera that hung from his neck that drew her attention. There were many reasons a pony may be carrying a camera, but to be carrying one and just happen to come to the same building as too princesses, it left little room for doubt in her mind. A reporter.

“Reporter incoming,” Flurry warned, motioning her head to the door.

Witherleaf stopped in her feast long enough to see who Flurry was talking about. “Probably just a tourist. It is tourist season.”

“Perhaps, but I would rather not stay to find out. I’m returning to the castle,”

“I guess that means you don’t want your ice cream than?” Witherleaf asked as Flurry began to walk away, keeping her mind on the most important thing.

“You can have it.”

“Awesome!” Witherleaf had barely drug the third bow over before Livewire returned to the table.

“Sorry, I forgot to give you this,” Livewire placed a check on the table. Witherleaf looked at the check, than to the door where the other two had gone through, than back at the earthen standing before her, before stopping on the check once more.

“Are you kidding me!”