• Published 23rd Oct 2018
  • 4,643 Views, 242 Comments

The Maretian: Equus Tales - Prismfire Productions



This is a sequel to Kris Overstreet's "The Maretian". Mark Watney, now free at last from Mars, is having to stay on Equus while he recovers from Martian gravity. What new adventures await until he can return home, and what new feelings will emerge.

  • ...
21
 242
 4,643

A New Day Dawns

Morning came like a thief in the night, alerting everybuggy to the start of a brand new day. Even during the Bad Old Days, Celestia's sun had always been the morning call, with every drone knowing that if they took longer than five minutes it could mean being demoted to cleaning the hive's emotion collection storage pits.

A job not even Chrysalis would task herself to doing, but Happenchance deserved her sentence to that filthy sludge pit when the drone returned surface-side for hiding her illness.

As such, it did not surprise Chrysalis in the slightest as she stepped out of her quarters that the Horseton Space Center was already abuzz with activity. Drones moved about, ranging from the morning shift construction crew for the new launch observer tower being built, to preparing for the morning tour, to simply heading to breakfast. Moving through the pristine hallways, every drone bowed in greeting. It reassured her that everything was as it should have been, but at the same time, it was not as Dragonfly's words had been slowly eating away at her inner resolve.

"Mark's love is sweet, but heavily tainted by a strong aroma of uncertainty. I will take my time, My Queen, but I fully intend on expressing my feelings for him.”

The strong love Dragonfly felt for Mark, strengthening it with those words and showing it with her forcing Mark into a PodaCoda marriage, had made some rather unpleasant memories return to the surface of her mind. Remembering her relationship to Celestia was twisting her into two different thoughts, with one missing those tender moments the two shared every morning as Celestia rose her sun, and the other laughing at the fact that she had been so weak in such a pony manner.

With Luna unable to see her dreams, Chrysalis was able to take solace, allowing the two sides to fight it out in an untouched, Armageddon-like plane as they fought for dominance, but it quickly became apparent to the Queen of the Changelings which side had turned the tide in the war.

"Look at me…," Chrysalis said, making sure no drone could hear her as she looked out through the windows overlooking the VAB, to the east where Celestia's sun was slowly advancing along its path across the sky, just as it had for an untold number of days. For so long she saw it as nothing more than a symbol of her enemy, but this time she looked at it as a symbol of what she had lost. "Have you really stooped this low Chrysalis? Being in a relationship is a fool's folly, a prison from which there is no escape. Yet, I can't help but think what could have happened if I approached that day differently, would we still be together?"

Chrysalis tilted her head onto the glass and closed her eyes, thinking of the
warmth Celestia's embrace had given her, filling her to the brim, ensuring that she never went hungry. Comparing how that felt was like going from a harvest to a seven hundred year drought; which forced her to use tactics that she previously would have been against just to keep her drones fed. That fight, that single mom5ent, had sealed her fate as a villain to not only ponykind, but also to the mare she had loved.

"It isn't my fault that she didn't see things my way, and we would have been unstoppable. Between her control of the sun and me fueled by her love, there would have been no wars, and everyone would be too terrified to dare start a war in the first place. Ponykind would have flourished!"

That caused her to pause, catching her wording as soon as it came out her mouth as she thought about how Thorax had written her multiple times saying he never was hungry. What she didn't tell anybody, not even Cherry Berry, was a small flicker of jealousy had been born after Thorax and his group transformed; their banishment being more out of the horror that her nightmare had come to life than anything else. It made her ichor boil knowing he was feeling like she had all those years ago, while she still had to rely on the love that she and her drones collected from tourists and anypony the drones met in the various towns around Equestria as they stopped for autographs and pictures.

"Dragonfly is not changed now, since Mark is still not happy about the circumstances of their marriage, but what about when Mark accepts her love? She told me that even if she changed she will still be with the Program, but I do not want to end up like a technicolor freak show either… I just wish-"

"Chrysalis?" Twilight's voice caused Chrysalis to jump, not hearing the alicorn approach her, nor did she feel Twilight's hoof pressing on her wither. "Are you alright? You look like you are deep in thought, is there something on your mind that you want to get off your barrel?"

"I'm perfectly fine," Chrysalis said, doing her best to put on a fake smile. "Besides, even if there was, you are not a changeling so I would have to kill you if I told you."

"Chrysalis, look at me," Twilight's tone was stern, like a mother scolding a foal after it broke a precious belonging. "Even with our past, we are no longer your enemy, I am not your enemy. I know you are not comfortable with the pony way of friendship, but that should not stop you from talking to me ruler to ruler, even if you say I am inferior to you. I have a bubble of silence in place, and everything you tell me will be confidential, so are you going to tell me or do I need to make myself look like a drone to get you to talk?"

"I have to give you credit Sparkle," Chrysalis chuckled, her mood slightly better than it had been a few moments prior. She really did not want to tell Twilight the truth, but thinking about how close her and Celestia were made it worth it to see the reaction on the Princess of Friendship's face. "You almost had me. Alicorns cannot use the same transformation techniques a changeling can, for that is unique to our species. However, since you did humor me, I will tell you. I was just thinking about how several hundred years ago me and Celestia were in a quite lovely relationship, and I was thinking about those times."

Her choice was well worth it, for the look of pure shock that hit Twilight like a Flea engine exploding made the alicorn lock in place.

"Ah, she never told you?" Chrysalis said, smirking like a Cheshire Cat as she slowly circled the alicorn. "Not surprising, considering how it did end on bad terms. We were in love Twilight, spending many a long night cuddled together by the fireplace, sipping on cocoa under a warm, fluffy blanket. Then afterward getting in bed, sharing the same bed."

"What?!" The blush that ignited Twilight's face could have powered the latest shuttle transport design, her outstretched rigid wings providing the stability control. "That is impossible! Y-your lying!"

"I swear on Pinkie Pie that I am telling the truth," Chrysalis said, basking in the utter bombshell that she had just detonated on Twilight. "The best part is that even if you wanted to directly confront her about it, you can't because you swore our conversation to secrecy."

"Y-you…" Twilight stammered, realizing how Chrysalis had roped her into a virtual Pinkie Promise that she could not break. "You manipulative shrew!"

"Why thank you for the compliment," Chrysalis said, smiling as she did a mock partial bow. "Guilty as charged. I will, however, let you ask her about it indirectly by asking about any romantic interests or the like, just to see if she will tell you on her own terms. If she does, let me know, for this is my test for you. Pass it, and perhaps I will tolerate you more than I am forced to deal with now."

"I will do it," Twilight said, regaining her composure before casting an illusion spell on herself, making her look like a regular drone but with purple eyes instead of blue. "And you should not question what I can do with magic, now come on, we have a busy day."

Dropping both the illusion and the bubble of silence, Twilight continued on past Chrysalis, the slack-jawed queen following behind her as they headed for the medical wing, where Rarity, Occupant, and Lucky Cricket were already there waiting for them with Rarity having a wrapped clothing box beside her.

"Oh, hello My Queen," Occupant said, both him and Lucky dipping into a bow for their ruler. "I am surprised you showed up this early, the astronauts are busy eating breakfast at the moment, so we are waiting for them to finish."

"Twilight insisted I follow her," Chrysalis said, ignoring the look the alicorn was giving her. "Considering Rarity is here, I assume she finished Mark's outfits ahead of schedule?"

"I did," Rarity said, her tone matching her look. Her normally well-kept mane and tail were ragged and full of split ends, the bags under her eyes dark enough to hold coal, and her coat was rustled from pulling a clear all-nighter. "If you recall darlings, I did say that I would be done by noon, but I had far fewer hang-ups than initially guessed so got done early."

"More like you stayed up and worked nonstop from the time you returned home, your appearance shows that," Twilight's observation came right as Rarity started to look at the ground, her eyelids pulling shut as if they were having extra gravity being exerted on them. Keeping the unicorn upright by pulling her close with a wing, Twilight casted a small energy booster on the fashionista. "That should hold you over for another hour, then once this is done, go home and go straight to bed."

"Thanks Twilight," Rarity said, giving her friend a brief hug. "I needed that boost. Not only did I make him multiple outfits to wear, but I also included something extra that I believe he will greatly appreciate."

"Oh, enough with the mushy pony talk," Chrysalis said, but everyone could tell the words were hollow, no bite to enforce it as she waved a hoof in a circle. "Shall we head inside? I know you said they are eating, but there is a schedule to keep."

"Oh, right! There is!" Twilight stammered, her mind snapping out the lull that it had been in since Chrysalis' admission, the changeling in question giving her a knowing smirk. "After they get dressed, we have to ensure they can walk around the grounds for a few hours under their own power since it will be the first long-term exposure outside their room since arriving. They will be accompanied by Occupant, who volunteered to keep an eye on them just in case they're not fully capable yet. With Rarity already done, that will give us a few extra hours to work with this evening before departing for Manehattan for the scheduled ticker-tape parade."

"Figured that would get you to focus princess," Chrysalis said, using her magic to open the door. "That makes two you owe me filly."

Twilight didn't answer, simply nodding as the group entered the room. Each astronaut was eating in silence, with Chrysalis and Occupant both feeling a heavy sense of uneasiness as the group looked at their guests.

"Good morning everyone," Chrysalis said, putting on the best smile she could muster. "I do hope your breakfast was satisfactory, because we have a busy day ahead of us. However, before we begin, Rarity has a surprise for Mark."

"Yes I do," Rarity said, levitating the clothing box over to Mark with a smile on her face. "Not only did I make you several outfits, open the box to see the special surprise I prepared for you. I do hope that you like it darling."

Mark grinned like a colt on Hearth's Warming, but out of respect for the work Rarity had done on such short notice, delicately removed the wrapping to keep the paper intact. The box, however, was not meant to be spared the same fate.

Ripping the top of the box off, Mark gingerly lifted the first outfit out of the box. The fabric, feeling soft as silk, felt better to the touch than any space suit he had worn before; the needlework was a perfect match to his old one, but he could tell nothing NASA had in use could compare to the suit he was holding in his hands. Examining further by unfolding it to its full length, his heart nearly jumped into his chest.

"Rarity," Mark said, running his fingers over a perfect replica of his mission patches, the insignia finer than anything he had ever seen. "How did you manage to copy the image? You don't know English, but you got every letter of the mission motto perfect."

"I might not be able to read your language darling, but I do know how to trace shapes," Rarity said, her smile straining slightly as Mark flinched from her tone shifting. "There is something else in the bottom, more of an extra gift than anything."

"Oh?" Mark said, setting aside his garments to see what untold treasure lay at the depths of his treasure box. Picking up a small bundle of crystal blue tissue paper, he undid the wad and what he saw made his breath hitch. "Rarity-"

"Think nothing of it Mark," Rarity said, seeing the pure joy in Mark's eyes as he picked up each individual trinket, identical to the ones that Spitfire possessed. "A few were easy to get my hooves on, the others I had to manage, but I felt like it would be a good present to keep for when you tell us goodbye and head back home."

"It will be more of a 'see you next time' than a full goodbye Rarity," Mark said, causing most of the others to tilt their head in his direction. "I need my friends to return home, don't I? I believe it would be rude to never come back after returning home, I do have a debt to repay after all. Besides, all of you are so cute and adorable, how could I not come back to such cute and cuddly creatures?"

Rarity beamed a smile, sharing the same expression that was on the faces of everyone as Dragonfly gave Mark a nuzzle hug.

"Look who came to their senses," Chrysalis said, smirking at Mark while continuing her sarcastic tone. "You are so enthralled in the pony way of friendship that it caused you to change your mind overnight. It is a miracle! Quick everyone, praise the sun and gather up for a celebration!"

The wording caused everypony's, except Twilight and Dragonfly, eyebrows to raise in suspicion, but no one dared to call the changeling out.

"I don't know why you are acting so coy Chrysalis," Mark said, matching the changeling queen's smirk with his own. "My statement includes you too queeny."

"Q-queeny?!" Chrysalis stammered, not expecting Mark to address her in such a lowbrow manner as she rose to her full height. "Now listen here you overgrown, sarcastic ape, there are several things you should never do around me. One: Steal my crown thinking that it will revert me to a drone and change you into a queen, because that is not how it works! Second: flat-out disrespect my authority, becomes that comes with extreme consequence. Third: try and forcibly make me learn the ways of friendship, because that will set me off quicker than that rabbit that lives with Fluttershy."

"Um, my Queen," Occupant said, slightly gulping as Chrysalis glared down at him. "The only thing rabbits do fast is-"

"MOVING ALONG!," Chrysalis said, raising her voice before putting goo over Occupant's mouth to keep him quiet. "However, all those things pale in comparison to calling me queeny. Listen up Mark, I am not cute and cuddly, I am a very dangerous creature to cross; one that can easily disarm, paralyze, and trap you until you are nothing more than a dried-out husk. I suggest for the benefit of your health that you refrain from ever calling me that again, do I make myself clear?"

"You do," Mark said, gulping at the look in Chrysalis' eyes, as if she was staring into his soul. "I won't say it again, but one thing that you cannot deny is that I can honestly say I am the only human whose stepmother is an alien."

"Ah yes, your stepmother," Chrysalis said, the hard look in her eyes evaporating and being replaced by pure mischief. "I'm sure you can understand the dilemma if I slipped my tongue? How unfortunate it would be to see your life crumble to dust beneath my hooves."

"You wouldn't dare," Mark said, anger briefly surging until he saw Chrysalis was serious. "Alright, so what bounds am I under?"

"You will not call me queeny for starters," Chrysalis said, allowing herself to smirk at the small victory. "Anything I ask you to do, you will do, no questions asked. Got it?"

"Uh huh," Mark said, nodding at the changeling that was makinng him feel smaller than a field mouse. "Now, can you all leave so I can change clothes?"

"We all had to see your decontamination shower, so we all know what you look like," Dragonfly's sarcasm, combined with a wink, made Mark blush as the drone headed for the door. "Well, you all heard him, lets give him his privacy so we can begin our day."

All the others looked at her confused, but nonetheless followed her out of the room as Mark began to undress. Chrysalis used this as an opportunity to return to her minor cave of solitude, her office, and monitor the group via the camera system that had been installed. Glancing on her desk, she noticed a drone had come in and set a mug of coffee on her desk, black as her chitin and as cold and bitter as her heart. Yet, as she leaned back in her chair, the taste that often brightened her day seemed off putting, making her discard the beverage with a heavy sigh and a roll of her eyes.

"And thus begins another glorious day in the land of friendship…"

Author's Note:

Work is still hetic, so this is all I could get... Sorry for the inconvenience