• Published 6th Oct 2018
  • 751 Views, 22 Comments

Stars in the Sky - Book_Wyrm



Starry Sparks is a wandering alicorn. Adventure follows in her hoof steps, and now she has to stop an ancient villain from taking over the Equestria. Easy, right? Yeah...let's go with that.

  • ...
3
 22
 751

End of Arc Chapter: Reminders

Chapter 8


Starry Sparks really disliked troublesome, painful, bloody, world-changing adventures. That’s why it really sucked that she always seemed to end up in them. Like that griffon emperor she’d ended up helping to bring down three thousand years ago. It wasn’t her fault that he’d wanted to put her in a menagerie. Griffons were weird. Or that corrupt Dragon Lord, back near the founding of Equestria. She didn’t even like to think about that one.

“I hate this gods dammed, festering, midge ridden swamp,” she muttered, smacking yet another mosquito off her hind leg. They were stuck in the one of the bogs that were scattered in the forests between Vanhoover and Las Pegasus. Even Wave Dancer’s high spirits were smothered, though one of her books had been handy in avoiding a poisonous snake two days ago. The hippogriff was flying, keeping her hooves and claws out of the mud. Starry wished that she could pull off her cloak and use her wings, as she would have done when it was just her and Mystic, or just her, but she couldn’t.

The mare felt a little better when Wave Dancer crashed into a tree. The hippogriff fell backwards, battling with a collection of hanging vines and losing badly. Within moments, she was entangled in them, wings stretched out, limbs splayed, and cursing up a maelstrom.

Mystic disentangled Wave Dancer with her magic, laughing. “Dancer, that’s the funniest I’ve seen in a long while,” she snorted, “Probably since Starry blew her tail off messing with a grenade. Shoulda known the pin’d been pulled.”

Starry grinned, “Why do you think I’ve clipped my tail short. Much less likely to get scorched.”
Mystic grinned back, “I thought you did it to improve the view.”

Starry gave her a vulgar gesture it was hard to believe one could manage with hooves. Mystic smirked back before cutting the last vine, causing Wave Dancer to come tumbling to the ground from where she had been dangling, six hooves up in the air. The gray female grunted as she hit the ground. Not, of course, that it was very solid ground. She began to sink into the muck. Wave Dancer shoved herself back up. Mud splattered half of her body.

The entire group moved on, but as she walked by, Starry spotted something lying in the mud where Wave Dancer had fallen. She picked it up with her magic, inspecting it. The object was a little blue gem, shaped like a lightning bolt. It glinted oddly in the sunlight. Noticing her, Wave Dancer turned back from the rest.

She came over to where Starry was standing. “Can I have my gem back?” she asked. Starry passed Wave Dancer the gem, and she snatched it and replaced it in her saddlebags. “Please, just don’t mention it to the others.”

Starry raised an eyebrow but didn’t say anything. She had kept more than a few things from those she was traveling with, and also preferred to have leverage if say, Wave Dancer discovered her little secret.

“Thanks,” Wave Dancer said as they trotted to catch up.


Starry looked out at the battlefield, as she had done thousands of times before. Every time she was too tired, too exhausted to control her dreams, she saw it, over and over again. The bloodstained field stretched on and on. Hundreds, perhaps thousands of corpses littered the ground. Being the memory that it was, groans came from everywhere, those too badly wounded to be healed but still breathing.

Some had a symbol resting upon the flanks of gray armor. A flame. The others were dressed in shining steel armor. It had no marks upon it. Both armies consisted of a variety of creatures, young dragons, griffons and ponies alike. There were even a few water buffalo rotting among the dead.

Starry stood on the edge of a rocky cliff overlooking the plain. The Plain of Fallen Tears, it would later be called, forever marking on the maps the spot of one of the bloodiest battles of all time. Every unguarded night, Starry returned to the field. With effort, she could’ve reverted back to the glade, but she never did. It was a reminder, a lesson she would never forget.

During these dreams, the mare was glad for her self-awareness. Her magic allowed her to know it was a dream, that she was not back on that plain of blood and death. The other things that had happened to her, they were nothing compared to this. And it's all your fault. The words echoed in her head, as they did so many nights.


Starry awoke before the dawn, as she had done for centuries. She lit her horn as the sun crested the horizon, doing the work she had been born to do. Sitting and watching the sunrise, she didn’t notice when Mystic sat beside her.

“You explained what we’re doing on this little quest last night,” The unicorn commented.

“Yes?” Starry asked, waiting for what came next.

“You also told us about the info you found in the ancient libraries. I know you, Starry, you don’t do anything for no reason. What were you researching?”

Starry looked at her sharp friend, “I... I was searching for information about nightmare forms.”

“You mean like what Princess Luna went into when she became Nightmare Moon?”

The alicorn sighed, “Yes. Nightmare forms. Alicorns can step into a nightmare form, transforming themselves body and mind. They make you many times more powerful. But they're also horrible. They feed off your worst emotions, worst traits, bringing them out in the process, as well as taking control of you. Tharykk, the texts say, was in his nightmare form. One of the most powerful alicorns in history, in nightmare form. That is why it took so many to defeat him. His power, it would be unimaginable. He’s laid low, since he escaped Tartarus. But Amberhill, I’d bet that's just the beginning of the atrocities. I’ve seen what kind of damage can be done.” She shuddered.

Mystic put a hoof around her shoulders. “Starry, I get the feeling you’ve shared more with me than with most of the creatures you’ve ever met. I know though, that there is much you’d rather not share. But when you’re ready, if you’re ready, I’ll be there.”

Author's Note:

This is a short little chapter ending the beginning arc of the series, The gathering. From here the chapter will hopefully get more active, now that we've put together our main cast.

Book Recommendations:
Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan

Please comment to add your own. I'm running out of series.