• Published 6th Oct 2018
  • 745 Views, 22 Comments

Stars in the Sky - Book_Wyrm



Starry Sparks is a wandering alicorn. Adventure follows in her hoof steps, and now she has to stop an ancient villain from taking over the Equestria. Easy, right? Yeah...let's go with that.

  • ...
3
 22
 745

A Journey's Beginning

Chapter 2

“Starry Sparks, you are under arrest,” the commander’s voice echoed in Starry’s eardrums. Amethyst stared at her, shocked and scared. Cowering behind the guards in the doorway was the innkeeper, Busy Bee.

“Shit,” Starry muttered, watching the guards. Louder, she asked, “What are you arresting me for?”

“Murder in Baltimare,” the commander responded, sticking his spear towards her.

“Come on,” the mare complained, “That was over twenty years ago.”

“You’re still coming with us Starry Sparks. And your friend too”

Starry looked behind her. Amethyst was sitting there, her eyes wide and her mouth agape. Next to her was the window, its shutters open. The guard trailed her eyes. “You really think you can escape that way?” he asked. The other four guards, Starry noted, were edging around the room. They were going to close in and jump on her at the first opportunity.

“I’m simply wondering why you haven’t ordered these lovely stallions to attack yet?” she smiled at him. “They’re all so rather eager to apprehend a real, dangerous criminal. I know how boring the job is, here in Equestria.”

“I just wanted to see how you’d react to having murdered a stallion.”

“He totally deserved it.”

“You can tell that to a jury.”

“I'd really not rather deal with that.”

The commander frowned. “You don’t exactly have a choice in the matter.”

“I don’t, suppose I do,” the gray alicorn commented lightly, “By the way, you seem to be forgetting something.”

“What?” the commander growled, surprised and a little confused.

Starry Sparks sighed, “I never realized just how idiotic the Solar Guard really is.” She fired up her horn, and in an instant had teleported herself, her pack, and Amethyst Mirror into the street below. Starry had never had any talent in that particular type of magic, so the short hop was as much as she could handle. Starry grabbed the smaller purple unicorn, dragging her along. Soon enough, the mare had regained her senses, and began moving on her own. They ran side by side through the dark streets. The sound of the Guard’s hoof steps were ever behind them, and Starry led them through twists and turns, losing herself to lose their followers.

“You’re a murder?” whispered Amethyst, gasping as they paused in a shadowed alley.

“As I said,” Starry replied, “He deserved it. The stallion tried to rob me. Twice.”

Still,” the mare seemed beyond shocked, “You’re wanted for murder.”

“and probably a dozen different crimes in a dozen different places,” starry confided, “A mare has to do what a mare has to do.”

Amethyst stared at her incredulously. “You’re that callous about killing ponies.”

Starry looked back at her, “My life hasn’t exactly been easy. Not like the ponies in a soft little town like this.” she thought back on all the five thousand years of her life. The battles and robberies and murders. The weeks spent stealing when she had run out of money, trying to get home. “Not easy in the slightest,” she muttered, partly to herself.

The sound of hooves brought her out of her oblivion. Starry pushed herself and Amethyst further back into the alley as ten Solar Guards galloped by. The peered into the alley, but wither Starry’s dark cloak covering them, the two mares were already galloping down the other direction. Starry looked around. She quickly recalled the way to the train station. Galloping past it, it was evident that the guards had gotten there first. Skipping the idea of catching a train, Starry trotted out into the dark country side. They finally stopped for another rest in an apple orchard outside of town.

“where are we?” Starry asked Amethyst. The orchard was unfamiliar to her. Each tree had apples on it, and even in the dark Starry could tell they were healthy and well-tended. Nothing could be heard except the occasional hoot of an owl.

“I think we’re at Sweet Apple Acres,” Amethyst told her, looking around. “it's the biggest and oldest farm in the area. The Apples have lived here for generations.”

“We’ll take a break here,” Starry said, acknowledging Amethyst’s obvious exhaustion. The mare was evidently not used to running long distances. Starry sat, looking up at the trees. My pack has some supplies, she thought, But certainly not enough for two. She lit her horn, picking apples off the trees around her. Sticking about five of them in her bag, she looked around. Amethyst had already fallen asleep, dozing on the grass. I hope she wanted an adventure, Starry commented dryly to herself, because she’s going to get one. Not necessarily the one she hoped for, but now she’s on the wanted list, right next to me. I was insane to bring her along, but it's too late now. Suddenly, she heard voices on the path nearby, breaking her out of her stupor.

“You think she’s out here?” one asked.

“Nah,” the other replied, “If I were her, I would’ve bolted. I’d be miles away by now.”

Looking up at the moon, Starry realized it was near its zenith. Preoccupied with her thoughts, she had not noticed how much time had passed. Starry went over to Amethyst, gently shaking her awake.

“Break time’s over,” she whispered. “we need to get out of there. Groggily, Amethyst stood up. Hearing the guards, she turned around. Unfortunately, one of the guards took just that moment to look over into the trees.

“There!” he shouted, and within moments an entire contingent of guards came crashing towards them. Starry and Amethyst looked at each other in panic for a moment, before turning tail and galloping away. The guard's horns lit the area, making the fleeing mares visible. They closed in. Each second the stallion in the lead came closer and closer. All the guards were yelling now. In a few moments the troops would be upon them.

Turning around to face their pursuers, Starry screamed, “Run Amethyst! I’ll catch up!”

The smaller unicorn kept galloping as Starry ignited her magic, her horn shining. At the last moment a light blue shield erupted in front of her, the front guards bouncing off it. The unicorns in back began using their own magic, attempting to crack her shield. Starry knew she couldn’t hold for long. There were ten unicorns, and even her magic wasn’t that powerful. She continued to hold the shield up, watching the cracks appear and spread across its surface. As her shield splintered, Starry sent out a blast of power, knocking the guards to the ground. As she fled, Starry considered what she had done. I always attempt to avoid applying force. Yet somehow, violence always seems to find me.

But now was not the time for consideration. She galloped and caught up to Amethyst, who she found hidden behind a bush, panting. The purple mare was even more shaken then before, if that was even possible. “Are we safe?” she asked, looking up at Starry Sparks. There was fear in her eyes, and Starry knew that the unicorn had been pushed to her limit, if not beyond it.

“ We’re safe for now,” Starry responded, leading her into a nearby copse of trees. “For now.”

Author's Note:

Here we go. I do not have a regular time schedule, so I'll get chapters out whenever I can. Hope you enjoyed.:twilightsmile: