• Published 6th Oct 2018
  • 745 Views, 22 Comments

Stars in the Sky - Book_Wyrm



Starry Sparks is a wandering alicorn. Adventure follows in her hoof steps, and now she has to stop an ancient villain from taking over the Equestria. Easy, right? Yeah...let's go with that.

  • ...
3
 22
 745

Greendale

Chapter 11


The village of Greendale was small, even by Equestrian standards. From Starry’s estimation, maybe seventy ponies lived in it. Of course, very few would want to live in the Everfree Forest. Even in the safest areas, the forest held many dangers.

For all its quaint appearance, Greendale was a lively happy town. Fillies and colts ran under hoof, and mares and stallions talked loudly. Everypony Starry saw was an earth pony. Each house was obviously built by hoof, and well maintained. Ponies smiled and waved at them as they went by. Starry often smiled back. Small villages like these were the true heart of Equestria, places where nothing had broken the core values. Or at least very few things. Even good-natured ponies could not escape the flaws of the world.

Overall, though, Greendale was one of the most peaceful towns Starry had ever seen. There were no loud arguments, very little to break the relaxed, homey atmosphere.

Let's just pray our visit here goes smoothly. Starry thought as she handed some bits over for a pile of apples. She carefully placed each one into her bag before going and rejoining her friends, who had been shopping separately.

“What exactly are we going to do with this?” Shadow asked pointing to the pile of assorted supplies.

Wave Dancer nodded. “We don’t have anywhere near enough space to carry this much food. We'd never fit it.”

“Leave that to me.” Starry said smugly. “Wave Dancer, have you noticed that the map you gave me isn’t sticking out of my saddlebags at all.”

“Wait...” The hippogriff looked at her bag. “How is that possible. Your saddle bags are smaller than mine?”

“Yes.” Starry smiled. “But they will fit anything in them. With limitations of course. If it's an object that wouldn’t regularly fit into a bag this size, it won’t go in.”

“That form of magic is nearly impossible,” Mystic commented. “Where did you get these. And why did you never tell me about their capabilities.”

Starry sighed. “Because of all of the questions. Yes, that kind of magic is extremely challenging. I paid a very high price for these, a long while ago. Perhaps too high.” The final comment was more for herself than for the others as she looked down at the worn, dirty bags. Looking back up at them, she finished, “I can carry enough to get us a long way. So, let's get packing.” Allowing the others to fill their packs, Starry took the rest and piled it into her saddlebag. Afterwards, Mystic peeked inside looking down, she stared. All the objects were piled into what looked like a giant room. They were tossed about randomly. Other things also sat down there, a few of which the green unicorn didn’t even have names for.

“How the hell do you even get what you need?” she asked.

“It's hard to explain,” Starry told her. “Just know that it took me a while to get the hang of it.” She closed the flap. The bag went back to its appearance of normalcy. Walking out of the alley, they found someone waiting for them. It was the young unicorn from the forest, along with an earth pony mare and stallion.

“Hello,” the mare began, “My name is Violet Wishes and this is Iron Hoof,” she indicated the large stallion. “We would like to thank you for helping our daughter.” The little unicorn nodded, obviously loath to speak. Her parents did more than enough to make up for her shyness.

“You all simply must stay the night,” Violent Wishes announced, “We’d all be happy to have you.” The family near pushed them through town, ushering them towards a lovely little cottage. Amethyst was the only one to join Violet Wishes in her chatter conversing eagerly as they wandered the streets. Once inside, they all settled in a parlor obviously decorated by a family who loved gatherings. There were enough sofas and chairs for the entire company plus the family.

Sipping cups of hot tea from the kettle that hung over the fire, the company talked with their hosts. Or, more specifically, Amethyst, Wave Dancer and Mystic talked, while Shadow Shields and Starry sat quietly on the couch. As time went on, Mystic began to entertain the couple with stories of adventure, embellished by her small, but impressive, magical tricks. Most of the stories Starry recognized for many of them were a little exaggerated and altered versions of her and Mystics own adventures, without the blood, violence, or bloody explosions.

In the corner Amethyst was teaching Lightning Flash some small spells. Learning and practicing those would assist the filly in learning the art of magic. However, after rejoining the group, she made an announcement to Violet Wishes ad Iron Hoof. “Your daughter needs to go to a magic school,” she told them, “Any unicorn could tell that that filly has a whole boatload of power, and she needs it trained.”

“If she has as much power as we think she has, "Mystic added, “It's probably best she go to Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns. They’ll be able to help her reach her full potential there.” Both parents and child stared at them, shocked.

“We need to send her away?” Iron Hoof gasped, “To a magic school in Canterlot.”

Starry finally nodded, “Her magic flare was a very big one. That one was at least not highly destructive, but the next one might be. A unicorn of her capabilities needs to be trained and trained well. Not just out of books, but with a real teacher, at a real school that can handle it before things get out of hoof.”

“You mean that Lightning’s magical flares could...” Violet Wishes gulped, “Hurt somepony or even k-kill them.”

“Maybe, though that is fairly unlikely.” Starry nodded, “I’ve seen very few flares that have seriously injured anyone, and one of those was mine.”

Violet Wishes steeled her resolve. “I guess,” she looked down at Lightning, who nodded.

“We’re sorry to pressure you like this,” Mystic told them, “But unicorns need to be trained.” She sat down, the entire company silent as the family deliberated. Finally, a pot started to make a bubbling sound.

“Oh, that’s dinner,” Violet Wishes announced. She and Iron Hoof began to finish their preparations while the company helped set the large table. After thanking their hosts again for their kindness, they all dug in. The vegetable stew was delicious, and their plates were cleaned. Only Lightning asked for seconds. That lines up Starry thought. Flares were like growth spurt, just with magic. They often had similar symptoms.

As the finished, a sharp knock was heard. Iron Hoof answered the door. It was another mare from the town. Her eyes were wild, her voice shaky. “You helped Lightning,” She looked desperately at Starry, “Can you help me?” She gasped inward, “My son, he ran off.” Another gasp. Then she whispered, “Into the forest...”

Author's Note:

Short chapter.

Here's some story recommendations.
Twin Twilight Tales by MagnetBolt
Friendship Abroad by Starscribe.

Please post your own recommendations. This includes your own stories. Guys, this is a promotion chance. Take it.