• Published 3rd Oct 2018
  • 1,884 Views, 156 Comments

MLP-Destiny's Play - The Bricklayer



Ponyville, haunted by a masked killer that returns whenever the moon turns scarlet. Good ponies falling to his blade. Kiva's blade. Just one catch. The ponies? Fangires out for blood. Everyone has a devil inside. Question is, does Kiva?

  • ...
15
 156
 1,884

Part 3: Eine kleine Nachtmusik - Her Will

The next day in Ponyville, all seemed quiet. Well, as quiet as Ponyville got anyways. There was a minor trifle with Trixie striding into town and freaking out over something Starlight had done. Fluttershy wasn’t really entirely sure what had gone on there, nor was she inclined to ask. Whenever something was related to those two -Really, she just couldn’t quite understand why they couldn’t spit out each other’s feelings- she decided it was best never to ask and just nod her head.

When she strode into the market that afternoon, whispers were already abound upon hearing of ‘Kiva’s’ latest crimes, with an increased Royal Guard presence now prevalent in the town upon Tempest’s request. Fluttershy sighed to herself, it was going to be harder than ever for her now to keep her identity under wraps.

“I just don’t get it, why won’t Princess Celestia release the idea of blood-sucking stained glass monsters to the public? It would make it easier on all of us, wouldn’t it?” Kivat asked in her head. Ever since their first Henshin together the two had been sorta physically connected in a way. Kivat didn’t mind, he personally got lonely really at times, and Fluttershy knew Angel Bunny freaked him out for whatever reason. She didn’t know why really, as that rabbit was as sweet as could be.

“Think about it, and this is of course assuming she even knows, would it be in your best interest to tell the populace that monsters who can look like ordinary ponies exist, and can change into blood-sucking creatures at any time?” Fluttershy asked. “For all we know, there could be a Fangire or two in the Royal Guard, they’re that good at hiding their identities.”

“True, if Starswirl, her mentor from what you told me didn’t know a damn thing about them, I doubt she would know. But I see your point. It would be the Changeling scare all over again,” Kivat mused. “If I was a Fangire, and thank Faust I’m not, I would get some individuals poised to strike in high ranking positions close to the Princesses. Hey, maybe that’s why Tempest is after you so much, she’s a Fangire herself, possibly the latest Queen or Bishop and you’re a threat to her continued existence!”

“Firstly,” Fluttershy replied with a small but still noticeable shudder. “Don’t ever scare me again with ideas like that, just the idea of Fangires in the Royal Guard…” she trailed off. “Secondly, Tempest is just doing her job. To her and just about everyone else if you may remember, I or rather Kiva do look like the mastermind behind all the deaths lately.”

“I’m just saying,” Kivat stated. “Everyone has secrets, you can never be too careful. She could be just biding her time, waiting for the right moment to strike… That’s what the Bishops of the past have always been, cold and calculating and very, very patient individuals. That’s why they’ve always been so dangerous, not for their power but for their sheer intelligence.”

“I honestly doubt Tempest is a Fangire, I just can’t see it. Think back to last night,” Fluttershy reminded her friend. “I was laying there bleeding, and Tempest could have easily killed me if she wanted. Me and the rest of the Royal Guard troops with her, and if asked she could have said Kiva did it.”

“Hmm, yes that is true…” Kivat mused. “But still My Lady, I’m warning. Keep an eye or two on her. That’s what I would do.”

“Well, let’s be glad I’m not your overly paranoid self hmm?” Fluttershy snarked at him in a sassy tone. “Let’s all be glad for that.”

“Oh, you wound me My Lady!” Kivat replied, in a tone of faux pain. “But seriously, I’m just looking out for your welfare, as your father would have wanted me to do. And besides, is it really paranoia if they’re always out to get you?”

“Yeah…” Fluttershy sighed, as soon as Kivat brought up her father. “I thank you for that Kivat, I really do, but at times I can look out for myself. I’ve dealt with much bigger threats than Fangires without your help, remember?”

“Yes yes, Element of Kindness and all that,” Kivat commented in a sarcastic tone with a probable roll of his eyes knowing him. “I really must thank you, again for the umpteenth time by this point, for bringing Princess Luna back from the darkness that consumed her. Really, hearing Luna, the vanquisher of the King, had become that monstrosity Nightmare Moon was really quite a fright!”

By this point, Fluttershy had stopped listening to him, and her eyes had begun to wander towards a very distinctive pure white pony wearing a rather form-fitting and frankly quite flattering silver halter top, shades over her crimson eyes and large headphones over her ears. She watched Vinyl order a few carrots from a nearby stall, and then beetroots from another, and finally an apple for good measure bobbing her head to the beat pounding in her ears the entire time and never saying a word.

Kivat sighed, knowing exactly why Fluttershy’s distinctive silence aside from a lovesick sigh meant. He groaned to himself, not this again. It was really getting quite annoying.

“Oh, it’s her again isn’t it?” Kivat remarked. “The one you’ve been nursing a crush on since… Oh, I don’t know, ever since you arrived in Ponyville? The one who likes the… what does she call them? The wubs?” he asked. “Honestly, I don;t understand why you haven’t asked her out by this point, really! Sure, her taste in music leaves much to be desired, but if you really like her…”

“W-Well, I would, but…”

“But what?” Kivat asked. “But what? You’re just too shy to go up and ask her? I mean, come one, don’t tell me you’re going to give me that same old excuse again! You’re a grown woman now! You’ve grown in confidence over the years, I’ve watched you! Surely you’ve got enough confidence to just go up and talk to one mare!”

“It’s… It’s not that…” Fluttershy stuttered out. “It’s her friend, you know the one?”

She turned her head to see a gray pony with long black hair wearing a nice suit and tie walk up to Vinyl, a violin case in her hands.

“Oh yes, Octavia, her ‘supposed’ marefriend. I say supposed, because we don’t even know if they’re actually dating. I mean, sure they go everywhere together and pretty much do everything together and even collab on music together and even live together but that doesn’t mean they’re-” Kivat rambled, before hearing a soft whimper come from Fluttershy. “...I’m not helping, am I?”

“Kivat… shut up,” Fluttershy told him. “And no, you weren’t helping. Fact is, you were listing off exactly all the reasons that make me and just about everyone else in town think Vinyl and Octavia are dating!”

“Oh for crying out loud, if they’re dating they’re being really subtle about it. I mean, as far as I know, they’re not having sex at the very least.” Kivat remarked.

“And how do you know that?” Fluttershy asked him in a warning tone.

“...I… I may have spied on them through their bedroom window a few times. Look, don’t judge me, I only want what’s best for you and besides Octavia has this long, lovely gorgeous neck!”

“...You’ve been spying on them exactly when?” Fluttershy asked, ever the more dangerously knowing there

“...Maybe when Octavia or Vinyl’s been getting out of the shower or when they’re getting dressed in the morning?” Kivat asked nervously, and Fluttershy only groaned to herself. She was so depriving Kivat of his beloved Carrot Cake after learning of this. He was a perv, a loveable one maybe and a supportive friend, but still a massive pervert. Mind you, it couldn’t be helped she supposed but maybe she could teach him a lesson on spying on ponies and their private lives. “L-Look, this is all besides the point anyways! Why don’t you just go up and ask her up on a date, or at least talk to her? You’re never going to get anywhere with her if you just stay on the sidelines like Hinata Hyuga from that Manga about the Kitsune kid I’ve caught you reading at times.”

And so, Fluttershy gathered up her courage and walked right up to Vinyl.

“H-Hey, it’s Vinyl, right? I-I’ve heard music coming from your house at times, and I-I just think it’s simply lovely. The bass drops, maybe they’re a bit loud but…” Fluttershy stammered out.

“Dude, so glad someone appreciates my music for once, at least someone in the neighborhood!” Vinyl remarked. “Do you know how many noise complaints I’ve gotten from peeved off ponies in the last month alone?”

“Well, your music, especially that track of yours you oxymoronously called ‘Silent Shout’ is hardly very quiet, is it dear?” Octavia remarked in that very upper-class Trottingham accent of hers. “And don’t get me started on that new piece you’ve been working on, Build Up is it? Oh, I’m sorry Fluttershy, you having to me ramble on about my complaints about my housemate.”

“N-No, it’s fine…” Fluttershy whispered. “I suppose I might be a bit annoyed as well…”

“You two, you just don’t understand the power of the wubs!” Vinyl harrumphed indignantly, before marching off with a remark of: “Peace out!”

“Well… That could have gone better I suppose…” Fluttershy murmured to herself hanging her head as Octavia called after Vinyl shouting her apologies.

“Hey, at least you got a few words in right? You didn’t faint, which is an improvement from the last time you tried to ask someone out on a date.” Kivat said supportively, and Fluttershy whimpered in remembrance of that last piece of embarrassment regarding Twinkleshine. “Anyways, I’ve got an idea. We should head off to Canterlot, talk to Luna. Been meaning to catch up on my family’s history, and it could prove useful to you as well.”

Fluttershy knew the previous Kiva and the previous King of the Fangires, the one that had proven to be so infamous had possession of Kivat’s father, so any information regarding him from Luna would be nice. So, that evening after booking a train to Canterlot she soon found herself outside of the doors of Luna’s personal chambers after a bat-pony guard named Galaxy Swirls had given her a few directions.

“Fluttershy, it’s been so long since we’ve last spoke,” Luna greeted with a cheerful smile after she’d opened the doors. “Please, do come in. Now, I doubt you’d have come all this way unless something was bothering you and you had to see me in person, so please speak your mind.” the Princess of the Night remarked as she sat down on her bed, her horn glowing with a blue aura. “I’m sorry, you don’t mind if I open a window do you? I find the late-night air to be quite refreshing. Plus, it seems we have a guest.” Luna remarked hearing a small tapping on the window.

“No, I don’t mind. Not at all…” Fluttershy replied, as Luna opened the doors with her magic, and in flew Kivat.

“Oh, thank Faust! I thought you two would never hear me!” Kivat exclaimed, before bowing to Princess Luna.

“Kivat?” Luna asked quizzically as the bat hung himself from the ceiling.

“I… I don’t know who that is, or what he’s doing here. I assume he’s a friend of yours?” Fluttershy squeaked out, and Luna gave her a look.

“You’ve always been a bad liar, dear Fluttershy,” Luna drawled before gesturing for her to sit next to her. Nervously, Fluttershy complied. “Relax, no need to worry, I know you’re Kiva and I will not call the guards on you. I know you will not misuse your power.”

“H-How…?” Fluttershy stammered out.

“You’ve had a few dreams about your double life, amongst a few others, even if you don’t remember them. Ponies, alas, rarely remember their dreams. I know what you’ve been doing, and I can only presume you and Kivat here are here to learn more about the previous Kiva am I right?”

“Yes,” Fluttershy answered simply.

“Well, I suppose you have a right to know…” Luna said, having already put up a few privacy spells as soon as Fluttershy had entered. “But be warned, you may not like the answers which you seek…”


1,500 Years ago:

Equestria was at war, a secret war between pony and beast to see who truly ruled the night. This war had been going on for centuries, the balance of power exchanging hands equally. Back and forth it went, sometimes the Fangire winning and sometimes the Veil of Shadows, the predecessors to what would eventually become the Wonderful Blue Sky Organization after Luna was banished to the moon.

It was truly a wonder in itself how this war had gone unnoticed for so long, but the Fangires and the Veil of Shadows were both clever groups careful to keep themselves out of the public eye thanks to a long upheld pact that both still remembered. Long ago, they’d been friends, both sides in fact, fighting against a powerful group known only as the Legendorgas and their leader, known only as Kamen Rider Arc. Maybe it was to save themselves from extinction, or maybe they truly did care for each other but eventually sometime after the defeat of the Legendorgas by the first Kiva, the first King of the Fangires that alliance… fractured.

Many years ago, a few years before the time of Starswirl the Bearded and the Pillars of Equestria, a stone fell from the sky and was discovered by one Flash Magnus. It grafted itself to him, as the story goes, sensing his will, and changed him into the most incredible of beings. The second, and possibly the most powerful Kamen Rider ever to walk the face of the planet Equus, Kamen Rider Kuuga.

Nobody ever really knew what Kuuga looked like, to be honest. Descriptions of his armor varied. Some described Kuuga as this massive towering stag-beetle like figure covered in gold and unleashing blasts of electricity, while others described him as a simple red and black hero. Only one thing was in common with the stories, he always wore this belt with the stone -Known as the Amadam- embedded within it and defeating any foe whom he came across.

The Fangires feared Kuuga, and rightfully so as it was said that a user without a strong enough will to fend off the Amadam’s power would be corrupted and one day destroy the world. That was possibly when the alliance fractured. Ponies and Fangires split apart, with Kuuga’s belt, the Arcle, being destroyed in the crossfire. Perhaps if more explanations were given, and ways of calming the Fangires and their fears were thought of, what happened next may never have occurred in the first place. But sadly, nothing was done when the secret of the Arcle was uncovered and it was destroyed.

It seemed the powers of Kuuga would be lost forever, and relishing in this newfound joy, the King of the Fangires went on a bloody campaign against Equestria. He, in secret, attacked and drained the life energy of ponies alongside his soldiers. Tragically, a newly discovered race known as the Changelings, who had a similar modus operandi but only took what they needed to survive were blamed and banished from Equestria forever creating a grudge that is still upheld by the former Queen Chrysalis today amongst other hardliners.

But in a rare show of kindness from the King, or perhaps it was something else as he wanted ponies to fear what lurked in the shadows, he deliberately ordered his Fangires never to reveal themselves publicly unless absolutely necessary. The only hints of them existing in the first place were the bodies they left behind and one other thing, Kamen Rider Kiva AKA the King himself.

The powers of Kiva had been passed down throughout the King’s lineage, the first Kiva being the one to seal away Kamen Rider Arc and his minions in the Legendorgas. Now, they had fallen to him, with Kivat the Second being the one to currently hold the powers of Kiva.

And so, King as he was only known carried out his bloody slaughter of races all across Equestria and perhaps beyond. Any race that was deemed a threat to his rule, like the Sirens, the Thestrals, or the Timberwolves was systematically hunted down and slaughtered. Some races managed to find shelter for a time, such as the Thestrals or devolved out of pure necessity in the Timberwolves so they would not be hunted down and killed in the Fangire King’s mad quest for power and absolute control. Finally, someone, that someone being Princess Luna and the Regent of the Night had enough and uncovered ancient texts on the Amadam and was able to create a second Arcle. While it would never be as powerful as the first, finally there was someone able to stand against the King’s power and possibly topple him from his throne.

King got wind of the news quickly, and send a message to Luna challenging her to a battle. Luna graciously accepted, and met him in what would eventually become the Whitetail Woods, known as the Whispering Hollows back then.

“This ends tonight. For the sake of protecting everyone's smiles, and protecting Equestria and the lands beyond from your tyranny, I will become the next Kuuga. Henshin!”

In a bright flash of red light with the full moon at her back, Luna transformed into a red stag beetle-themed warrior, with gold trimmings and two bright red eyes staring down the vampiric form of King.

“Very well, so be it…” King growled. “Zanbat!”

In a flash of flame, he summoned a powerful looking longsword that seemed to glimmer like stained glass. Marching forwards, he left singes of flame in his wake as he transformed into Kiva, black and red armor covering him as Kivat roosted himself on King’s belt. A long billowing black cape flowing from behind him, as two devilish blue eyes stared Luna down.

“Guess it’s time for a little dance amongst the stars. Entropy may claim all things eventually, but rest assured I will not falter,” Luna stated as she summoned a sword of her own and the blades clashed, sparks flying off of them as metal met metal. “In fact, I assure you I will make sure of it Entropy claims you sooner, not later.”

“Bold words from a Princess, while I am KING!” King shouted, and the shadows below him seemed to form into a symbol resembling a massive bat. The symbol flew towards Luna, shadowy tendrils erupting from the ground beneath her and binding her in place. The Symbol then rose up from the ground behind her, and soon she found herself pinned to it.

King closed up his fist and pulled Luna towards him, before punching the Princess of the Night back towards the signal where volts of electricity were sent through her body. Luna screamed out in pain, agonizing shrieks echoing throughout the darkened forest.

King smirked. “Checkmate.” he stated simply, before inserting a small whistle-like device into Kivat’s mouth.

“WAKE UP!” Kivat boomed, and King leaped into the air launching a flying side kick at Luna, his boot glowing with a dark red energy.

Luna, at the very last moment managed to free herself from the symbol, and managed to grab King by the leg and swing him around before tossing him into a group of trees flattening them and sending them flying like they were simply toothpicks. King managed to pick himself up from the impact crater he’d landed in, and snarled at Luna who was picking herself up off the ground.

“How… How?”

“I will pick myself up off the ground as many times as needed, all to defeat you. I will not rest until you fall, and Equestria is freed from your madness. I am Princess Luna, Regent of the Night and the Lunar Invictus. And you King, are nothing but a madman.”

With that, her body began to glow golden before an anklet appeared around her left leg. Feeling new power rushing through her body with this new evolution, she picked up her sword and it charged itself with this new power as well. She slashed downwards sending a golden thrust of energy out from her blade just as King ran towards her Zanbat blade in hand.

The slice cut through King’s body, and his armor, and before he had a chance to recover he was blindsided by a powerful right hook from Luna shattering the side of his helmet.

“How… How dare you!?!” King roared, before sending multiple fireballs towards Luna. For whatever reason, she heard a voice in her head urging her to pick up a piece of nearby lumber and for whatever reason, she complied. Pure golden energy rushed through this piece, as Luna’s costume turned a pure midnight blue and the piece of wood was transmogrified into a bo staff.

Spinning the staff in her hands, she managed to create a powerful gust of wind that sent all of the fireballs rushing back towards King. He was barely affected of course and his sword met Luna’s bo staff, the two dancing around in the moonlight.

Strikes hit or missed, Luna thrusting her staff into King’s chest multiple times making him stagger while she herself felt the bane of the Zanbat Sword. The Sword, it seemed to growl every time it hit her, and Luna felt her power beginning to seep away inch by inch.

“Why… how is that…?”

“Possible?” King asked with a laugh. “You don’t get it, do you? How naive you are. Each slash of the Zanbat Sword, it bleeds away just that little bit of your soul’s energy. And as the Fangires learned along ago, the Amadam and the energy of the Soul are connected… Well, figure that part out for yourself.”

With that, he slammed Luna against the shadowy Kivat symbol once more and she screamed out in pain.

“I… I need more power. I need to protect… I need to protect everyone!” she yelled.

“Give up!” King said. “You will fall, and the Fangires will reign. Darkness will creep across the land, and I’m sad to say you will not be a part of the new regime. So do yourself a favor, and stop this nonsense about protecting everyone. It’s impossible, nobody can do that.”

“No, don’t you ever say that. Don’t you ever, ever say that. I am the Princess of the Night, one of the two Rulers of Equestria and letting my kingdom fall to a monster like you…” Luna stated and her now currently purple suit turned a black shade, anklets appearing around both legs this time as a newfound surge rushed through her. “Is not acceptable. So you give up, on saying I should give up!”

With that, she rushed towards King in a blur of unfathomed speed, and he just barely raised the Zanbat Sword in time to block the blow. All the while, a voice, the same male one from before warned Luna to hold back. This power was new to her, and if she wasn’t careful she could become exactly what the legends about Kuuga stated she could be. The destroyer of the world.

The Zanbat sword went flying from King’s hands as he was sent backwards by the sheer force of the kick. He roared out in rage, and the two once more began exchanging powerful blows, with King at one point leaping into the air and drop-kicking Luna into the ground, a massive crater being formed by the force of the blow. A powerful punch from Luna impacted King in the stomach and sent him flying skywards. Luna spread her wings, and summoned her sword once more before slashing King across the chest and then sending energy towards her right hoof and she unleashed a powerful golden electricity infused kick to King’s stomach sending him flying far beyond the bounds of the woodland. Trees for miles around were flattered and send flying with the force of a hurricane as King's body exploded with a bright flash resembling a nuclear explosion.

Luna, panting and sweating lowered herself back to ground level, before noticing a crack in her Amadam stone, before both it and the belt shattered canceling out her transformation. Luna sighed sadly as she picked up the stone’s shattered remains. Perhaps… she mused it was for the best. Nobody should have had that kind of power anyways.

“Looking back. I wonder if I’m still right about that,” Luna mused as she looked out towards the moon, a breeze rushing in through the open windows. “After all, you using the powers of Kiva, proves King’s lineage is alive and well and he was not destroyed that day.”

“A-Are you really so sure?” Fluttershy whispered in fear, the sheer idea of a being that was able to almost overpower and nearly kill Luna still existing in some form being absolutely terrifying. “I mean, how do you he didn’t just father a child before you killed him?”

“It is possible I suppose, but the Fangires have been growing in power as of late. The reappearance of a Rook is evidence of that. Be strong Fluttershy, for your true test of being a Rider has only just begun.”

“I-I’ll try, and I will carry on your will, and if the time comes, defeat King once and for all.”

Luna smiled secretly, as if at some private joke as she looked at Kivat hovering over Fluttershy’s shoulder and thought to herself: “Perhaps you already have…”

Author's Note:

Okay, just want to clarify a few things. One, I freely admit I've never seen much of Kuuga beyond two episodes of Decade and the final arc of Wizard and was going off the wiki so if I got anything wrong here I apologize. Now, I also want to state Kuuga (At least Luna as Kuuga) never reached Ultimate state, she only managed to get so far as Amazing Mighty. And before you hark on me for King actually managing to hold off Amazing Mighty if only for a few moments, remember it took both Dark Kiva and Kiva Emperor to take him down.

Now, for the lineage of Riders.

Kamen Rider Arc: Unknown

Kamen Rider Kiva 1: Unknown

Kamen Rider Kuuga 1: Flash Magnus

Kamen Rider Kiva 2: King

Kamen Rider Kuuga 2: Luna

Kamen Rider Kiva 3: Fluttershy

Kamen Rider IXA: Tempest Shadow

Next time, the Polar Bear Fangire, and Kamen Rider IXA makes her debut in: When the Saints go Marching In...

As ever, comments, thoughts, and critique are welcomed.

Edit 12/7/18: Altered Luna's fight scene as Kuuga to be more correct to the lore, and instead of Amazing Mighty, Luna now uses a theoretical Amazing Titan to finish King in a manner expected of someone at that power level.