• Published 30th Sep 2018
  • 3,670 Views, 282 Comments

Her Sunlit Lineage - Graglithan The Greater



Sunset takes a trip back home to visit family, and learns more than she thought she would.

  • ...
5
 282
 3,670

An Honest Offer

On a personal level, Fluttershy was honestly amazed. It had taken him more than half the drive to their home for Zephyr to find himself kicked into the bed of Applejack's truck. That didn't say much, as it was a thirty minute trip by foot. Regardless, it didn't stop her from scowling to herself in embarrassment and from the growing headache she'd had all day. "I'm... sorry."

Applejack, who'd been keeping eyes on the road with a glare, shook her head for a split second. "Shy, it ain't your fault your brother's a horn-dog." Her glare darted to the rearview mirror, where Zephyr's head could be seen peeking in, bruised cheek and all. "Let it be known though, that if he ever tries that again, ah'm breakin' his arms."

As Zephyr's head ducked back at the glare, Fluttershy sighed and rubbed her face. "If your brother doesn't first after he hears about this."

Her glare lasted for a moment more before the farmer sighed and turned back to the road. "To be fair, I half expected him to try and get me to hook him up with Dash. She seems to be more his type from how he acts around her."

A scowl formed on Fluttershy's face as she looked out the window. "She's his obsession at this point. He might have a chance with her if he planned to do something with his life instead of using our parents." She winced and held her head as another throb lanced through her eyes.

Applejack, for her part, felt her jaw threaten to drop as she got onto their street. "Wow, Fluttershy. That's harsh, even for him."

Fluttershy's eyes widened as she jolted up in her seat before she looked down and hid behind her hair. "I-I'm sorry."

The truck was silent as they made their way down the road. Quiet, and uncomfortably awkward for the both of them. Applejack rubbed the back of her head for a moment, before glancing over at Fluttershy. "You, uh, want to talk about it?"

Shaking her head, Fluttershy gave a small smile that felt as fake as it looked. "No, it's okay. I just haven't been feeling well lately."

Slowly coming to a stop, Applejack's truck parked at the curb in front of the Shy residence. "Ah got some aspirin in the glovebox if that'll help."

"No, I um, I already took some before I left home." Fluttershy glanced at her house for a moment, before unbuckling and stepping out of the truck. "I'll be just a minute."

"Take yer time." With nothing else to do, Applejack waited in her pickup and tapped on the wheel as she looked around. Sure, she probably could have walked in as well and helped Fluttershy, but she had the distinct feeling that was precisely the opposite of what Fluttershy wanted. Besides, there wasn't anything wrong with waiting if it let her friend have a moment.

That was until she was reminded of who was sitting in the bed of her truck right then. "Uh... hey, Appleback, right?"

Applejack didn't think today would be the day she learned what it felt like to be Rainbow Dash when Fluttershy's brother was around, but she was proven wrong quite quickly. "It's Applejack."

Zephyr at least had enough brains to catch the venom in her voice, if not to realize he should probably stop talking. "I know you don't exactly like me, but if you'd be willing to pass me Rainbow's phone number, I'd--"

He flinched back as Applejack opened her door, unbuckled, and started to glare at him, ready to hop into the truck bed and throw him into the lawn. "You really want to push it after I threatened to break your hands off?"

Zephyr's body shook like a chihuahua as he pressed his back into the opposite side of the truck and raised his hands. "N-Not really."

Jabbing a finger at him, Applejack growled out her next words. "Then learn to keep em to yourself, and off of my friends and me." At his fearful and frantic nodding, Applejack snorted and turned back to get into her truck. Zephyr took that moment to book it and head into the home, away from the girl who wanted to murder him.

She was feeling relieved at the sight of him running away until Applejack stopped in her tracks and blinked in surprise when she noticed someone new standing nearby. "What in the--?"

Standing at the front of her truck, was a familiar sight, though, in Applejack's opinion, it was not a welcome one. An arctic blue ponytail, lighter blue skin, and magenta eyes, one of the infamous sirens stood, twiddling her fingers nervously. When she saw Applejack was looking at her, she awkwardly smiled and waved. "Um... Hi?"

Applejack's scowl somehow managed to intensify. "You again!? Ah thought you learned your lesson already!" Her shout was enough to make the siren shrink back.

The siren cleared her throat and tried to smile as she stepped closer. "Like, I know you probably don't like me and stuff, but I was wondering if you'd, like, let me ask something?"

Eyes narrowed, Applejack snorted and crossed her arms. "And why should I do that?"

The siren gave a small defensive shrug as she flinched. "U-uh... because I'm hopelessly lost right now?"

The two kept looking at each other for a while before Applejack finally sighed and rubbed her face. "Alright. What is it?"

"Have you seen my sisters lately?"

Applejack blinked a few times before raising an eyebrow. "...What?"

The siren took a ridiculously deep breath. "Well we were supposed to be going into town because Adagio said she had a super amazing idea that we needed to go tot he library for but then Ari started being a miss moody pants and ran off and then Dagi told me to go after her and make Ari come back but then I lost her somewhere down the road and when I tried to go back to tell Dagi I couldn't find Aria anywhere she was gone too, and I started looking around for either of them but now I don't really know where I am and really really really could use some help." She then gave a pair of puppy dog eyes that almost rivaled Applebloom and her friends. "Please?"

Suddenly, it occurred to Applejack that if she hadn't been friends with Pinkie, she might not have ever been able even to understand what had just happened. Rather than dwell on that further, she shook her head and looked back to the siren. "Why bother us? Last I checked, weren't we part of the reason you lost yer powers? If anything, Ah'd say you'd want nothing to do with us as much as we want nothing to do with you."

The puppy look doubled down with a small trail of tears. "You're like, the first person I could find that didn't immediately run away when I tried explaining things."

Applejack could feel a headache coming on, but sighed and rubbed her forehead. "Well, could you tell me your name? I don't reckon I ever caught it."

Instantly perking up from her funk, the blue girl offered a hand and beamed. "Sonata Dusk."

"Applejack." She gave a curt and quick handshake.

The two stood there for a moment before Sonata smiled again and went back to pleading. "So will you please help me?"

Applejack held up a hand, cutting off Sonata. When she looked at the siren in the eyes, there was apprehension, dancing behind them. It reminded Applejack of eyes she'd seen before, just after the Fall Formal, and again only a few months ago. Eyes she hadn't given the benefit of the doubt to, and almost lost a friend as a result. With a sigh, she leaned back against the truck and let her head collide with a thunk against the window. "Ah'll be honest, part of me wants to tell ya to take a hike and not come back, seein' as ah don't trust ya as far as ah can throw ya." Sonata started to deflate a bit, looking down at the sidewalk, before Applejack raised a finger. "But, Ah also got a pretty hefty reminder recently that ya can't get trust, without givin' some in turn. Ah also reckon you wouldn't be this worried if it was a lie." She looked over at Sonata with a stern frown. "Now, my friends and I got some stuff to take care of real fast, but Ah'll see what we can do ta help when we're done. Deal?"

Before she could blink, Applejack felt like her ribs were being crushed. "Thankyouthankyouthankyou!" Sonata let her death-grip around Applejack's waist die down before dancing in place with a giggle. "I'm going to make you so many tacos!"

Applejack tilted her head in confusion. "What?"

"Tacos!" Sonata beamed as she went right back to hugging. "They're like, the best food I've ever had since we got banished here and... and, uh..." She let go of Applejack and looked a bit afraid. "W-Why are you using magic? I thought you promised to help!"

Applejack looked at herself in surprise, and sure enough, she was ponied up and glowing orange. "What in tarnation!?" She adjusted her hat to scratch the top of her head for a moment before sighing. "Well, this ain't somethin' ah thought ah'd be dealing with today."

The door to Fluttershy's place opened up, and Fluttershy stepped out. "Okay, I've got the- EEP!" Fluttershy jumped back as she looked at the scene in front of her trembling like a leaf before she fainted.

Applejack winced and walked over, picking up the surprisingly light girl. "Okay... more problems. Yay." Fluttershy was placed in the passenger seat and buckled in before Applejack sighed. Looking to Sonata, she jerked her head at the bed. "Well, hop in."

Sonata giggled as she jumped in the bed of the truck. "You sound like Aria right now!"

"Looks like ah'll drop you off at the library right fast, ah guess." At Sonata's happy cheer from the back, and the rocking of the truck, as a result, Applejack could tell it was going to be a long day.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the wait, and the shorter chapter. I've been bouncing between working on this one and another chapter that I plan on releasing sometime next week, if possible.