• Published 30th Sep 2018
  • 3,662 Views, 282 Comments

Her Sunlit Lineage - Graglithan The Greater



Sunset takes a trip back home to visit family, and learns more than she thought she would.

  • ...
5
 282
 3,662

Fiery Fillies and Fatherly Follies

Sunset could hardly believe what was happening. Here she was, sitting next to her mother, getting ready to have a cup of tea and talk, all while technically inside her father's head. Sunny Days was trying to help calm her down out of the shock that was still rolling through her, she knew that much, but it didn't help.

Especially not with Line Writer still out there.

Sunny took a sip of her own tea before smiling softly. "I am sure you have lots of questions for me."

Sunset jumped a bit in her seat before looking down at her own tea. "I... Where do I even start?"

"I think a good place to start would be where both your father and I could answer." Sunny sighed down towards her tea. "It's a shame, but I'm only able to remember what he remembers, being a part of his mind and all that."

A glance down at Sunny's flanks was all Sunset needed for her first question. Where Sunny Days' cutie mark should have been, it was missing pieces and looked shattered. If she was honest about it, her eyes hurt when she tried. "What happened to your mark!? I-It was just fine in that first memory!"

Sunny Days glanced at herself with a sigh. "A side-effect of dementia, I'm afraid. With the loss of your father's memories, I'm slowly fading myself. The one you saw likely wasn't even accurate."

Sunset glanced over at the window next, looking out at the porch they'd come in from. "What about Line Writer? Is he the one who started all of this?"

Sunny shook her head. "Sadly, no. If he was, then we would have somepony to blame for all this. Your father's dementia was already progressing before he set hoof here. In fact, this is the first I've seen him." Pausing, she put a hoof to her chin in thought with a bit of a pout. "Well, not technically true, seeing as there are memories of the four of us talking, but you know what I mean."

Sunset looked around the room, frowning in thought. If that's the case, then why is he doing this? It just doesn't make any sense! Sunset shook her head with a sigh before she turned back to her mother. "Where are we right now? I don't remember this place."

Sunny perked up and beamed. "Oh, a fun one! This was the home your father and I lived in for a few years. We spent an exceptional amount of time here!" She paused to give a conspiratorial glance towards Sunset. "Especially once you were on the way."

Blushing a bit, Sunset cleared her throat. "Uh, yeah, didn't need that last bit."

Giggling, Sunny nuzzled into Sunset's cheek. "Oh, there's nothing to be embarrassed about my Little Sunrise. If anyone were, it would be your father. My mood swings and cravings made me force him into some of the most awkward moments of his life." A devious smirk crossed her face. "Like explaining to Princess Celestia why I was pregnant at all when he was supposed to be 'guarding' me." She put her forehooves to her mouth and kicked her legs in the air as she failed at hiding her laughter. "Oh, but he did a good job guarding me, though. All night, every night."

Sunset's blush only got worse as she covered her face with a hoof. "Topic change, please!"

Still giggling, Sunny waved a hoof. "Sorry about that. Some of your father's more prominent memories of me were showing."

Groaning, Sunset looked up at the ceiling and glared. "Honied Tartarus, Dad, WHY!?"

"Stallions are going to be stallions, Sunset." Sunny sang as she took a sip of her tea. "Now, what's something else you'd like to know?"

Sunset's mood started to dip as she thought it over. Her heart sank as she came to her decision. Sunset looked down at where her mother was seated, unable to look up at her. "How... what happened to you? Why were you gone all my life?"

Sunny didn't even flinch, only setting her cup down and standing up. "That is one I would have to show, rather than tell. Come with me."

The two walked towards a wooden door. It was on the other side of the room than the one Sunset had entered. With a small push, Sunny Days opened the door and lead her to a different island. Sunset's eyes widened at the sight of what could only be hundreds of lilies, many of which were withered. Sunny stopped at one in particular. "I was using these to help you get over here, but this memory is the one you need to see." As Sunset walked closer, Sunny smiled sadly. "He wanted to tell you so much about this day, but you were still so young in his eyes. He felt that if he did, it would only be cruelty upon his little filly.

Sunny looked over at Sunset as she took a step back. "But you're a mare now. You have every right to know. He realizes that now."

Sunset could only look between the flower and her mother. This... this was going to answer one of her most pressing questions. But she already knew the answer, right? She knows she came to the correct conclusion. So why was doubt starting to wiggle its way into her mind? Did... did she even want to see the truth?

A deep inhale and Sunset let out a calming breath. She had already come this far. Turning back now would only leave her wondering again with the addition of knowing she had come so close. She'd been asking for this for years.

It was high time she knew the truth.

With only a moment of hesitation, a glance shared between her mother and herself before Sunset's hoof touched the flower, and her world went white.


When her vision returned, Sunset was standing in the throne room of Canterlot Castle. Her heart jumped into her throat when she spied Celestia sitting at attention. Still, her panic started to die down when she realized that the Celestia that was before her, couldn't see her. With a hoof to her chest, Sunset exhaled a breath she didn't know she had held. "Right, right... memory. Scared me for a sec there."

Her attention turned instead to the ornate doors leading into the room as they soon were pushed open, and two ponies started walking down the carpet. Sunny Days and Hot Air looked like they'd seen better days, and hadn't seen any sleep for some time. Her dad had bags under his eyes and a slightly delirious look to him. While Sunny Days looked tired, she at least had the composure to not let her eyes droop too much.

That was when Sunset noticed a small bundle held to her front by a simple cloth, that had a little orange horn sticking out of it.

Curiosity got the better of her, and she walked alongside her parents as they got closer to the throne. It was surreal, looking down at a foal version of herself, but Sunset couldn't deny it. That foal was her, colors and all, happily asleep as she snuggled into her mother's chest fluff. The motherly smile that was on Sunny Days' face as she nuzzled her foal gently made Sunset smile, both memory and visitor alike.

When the precession was a respectable distance from the throne, they stopped and gave a quick bow. "Your highness."

Celestia smirked a tiny bit, one only the guards or somepony close to her would notice. "I take it that parenthood has treated you well?"

Hot Air rose back up and gave a quick salute, even as he started to tip sideways. "Absolutely your Highness. Never felt better!" Sunset had to suppress an amused snort until she noticed that Stage Play and Line Writer were part of the guard on duty, and the former was having trouble doing the same. However, she noticed how Line Writer was oddly quiet at the sight.

Meanwhile, Sunny Days rolled her eyes and giggled at Hot Air's antics. "About as well as expected. My little Sunrise here has done everything she can to keep us on our toes." She paused for a moment before smiling. "Er, hooves."

"Sunrise?" Sunset quirked an eyebrow at that. "I don't remember Dad ever calling me that. Not even as a nickname."

Princess Celestia gave a knowing smile herself as she stepped off her throne and down the steps where the two stood. The smile was short-lived, as it was smoothly replaced by one more somber. "I take it you have come to your decision?"

Sunny Days and Hot Air both nodded as the air grew a bit tense. "We have your Highness." Hot Air put a hoof on his beloved's, and they shared a glance before he turned back to the Princess. "I'm going with her." While they talked, Sunset noticed how Line Writer's neck stiffened a bit from his post, but she was more focused on her parents at that moment.

"I see." Princess Celestia gave him a small bow, making the tired Hot Air blink in surprise. "Then by the authority of the crown, you are at this moment honorably discharged, former First Lieutenant Hot Air. Equestria gives its gratitude for your service." A round of salutes from the guards brought a smile to Hot Air's lips. His eyes moved over to his two friends, and he gave them both a quick nod. He looked a bit concerned at Line Writer's posture, but his attention was drawn away when baby Sunset cooed.

"Looks like somepony's awake." Sunny Days smiled down at her daughter and shifted her a bit with a foreleg, giving the foal a quick nuzzle. She blinked a bit before giggling. "I'm going to have to start talking like I used to, or mother might think I've gone mad."

"I think she'll have something else to focus on." Hot Air raised an eyebrow with a smirk. "I also am praying that royalty isn't opposed to babysitting."

"I am afraid that may be the least of your worries at the moment. It is time we addressed the other reason I called you both here today." Princess Celestia turned to look at one of the guards, who bowed before turning and ushering in a familiar mirror, placing it near the group. "As it stands, the portal to your world would normally remain open for three days. However, something on the other side has begun to disrupt our connection."

Sunset's jaw dropped alongside her family. "What?"

"I am not sure what is causing it, but a great deal of magic is being pulled through into your world, enough to create a vacuum of aether. Starswirl, in his crafting of this device, added several fail safes. One of which is if this event were to occur, the portal would close off prematurely."

Sunny Days looked at the portal with worry, before a determined frown crossed her face. "How long do we have?"

"An hour, at most." Celestia's head dipped apologetically as she looked towards them. "I am truly sorry that I am unable to give you the time to gather your belongings, but time is of the essence. If you are to return to your world, you must hurry."

Sunny Days glanced at her foal before Hot Air put a hoof on her shoulder. "Hey, we'll be okay. I'll keep you safe. Promise." She smiled and gave him a kiss, before the two gave one last bow to Princess Celestia, and started walking closer to the portal. However, as they got near, the portal trembled as a bolt of magic crossed its surface. The two jumped back, using their bodies to try and shield Sunset's younger self, only an arc made it past them and struck her horn.

Sunset could only watch in horror as her infant self suffered through a forced magical surge. Bolts flew across the room as the rampaging magic coursed through her, pulling her from the safety of her mother's hooves. Sunny Days tried to grab ahold of her again, only to take a blast to the chest that sent her flying back.

And straight into the portal.

Yet again, Sunset experienced time slowing in the memory world. She watched as shock, horror, and fear danced across both her mother and father's faces, and Sunny Days passed through the mirror's surface.


Sunset gasped as she stumbled back from the flower, staring at it while heaving ragged breaths. She turned to look at Sunny Days, seeing her smiling sadly. "It... it wasn't my fault?"

Sunny shook her head, helping her daughter to her hooves and pressing their cheeks together. "It never was. We never learned what happened to me, or what caused the portal to malfunction, but after losing me, Hot Air did everything in his power to calm you down. Even as a bolt of magic tore his wing from him, he was only thinking of you. But his heart needed something to blame, which is why he held such contempt for Celestia all those years. She was almighty, so why could she not save his wife?" Tears brimmed at the corners of Sunset's eyes as she started to choke up, her heart clawing its way free from her chest.

Hooves wrapped around her as Sunny Days carefully hugged her crying child. "I know you want to cry, but now is not the time." She pulled back and wiped away some of Sunset's tears. "You need to leave this place. It is not safe."

"What?" Sunset shook her head as she sniffled. "But... Line Writer can't find us here, right?"

"No, Sunset, that is not what I fear." Sunny Days looked out over the lilies and into the sky, and Sunset followed her gaze.

Her heart shattered instantly.

Several islands were rapidly turning to glass, their progression visible to the naked eye. When Sunset turned back to Sunny Days, she only received a sad smile. "That memory was the one thing helping your father hold onto his mind. He wanted desperately to make sure you knew the truth one day."

"No... No, no, NO!" Sunset shouted, tears streaming down her face. "He can't be giving up! I-I never got to tell him about all the amazing things I've seen! A-All the wonderful friends I've made! I.. I..!" Sunset's body shuddered as she tried to regain some form of composure. "I don't want to lose him... He's my dad... I love him."

Sunny Days put a hoof to her daughter's cheek and smiled. "Then go. Leave his mind and return to his side. He needs you now, out there, more than ever."

Sunset threw a hoof towards the glassing islands. "But what about Line Writer? We can't just let him stay here!"

"He is likely noticing the deterioration as well." Sunny led Sunset back inside and through the room before she found herself again on the porch. "Line will be heading for the exit as we speak. If he leaves first," Sunny's voice faltered as she shuddered, a crack forming in her hoof. Sunset wanted to rush over at the sight of her mother in pain, but Sunny shook her head and frowned.

"I have no doubt he will leave you trapped here."

Author's Note:

as an extra apology for taking so gosh darn long, have a second chapter on the house.