• Published 22nd Sep 2018
  • 2,826 Views, 46 Comments

Just One Day - Moonshine34



A petty fight blows out of proportion and Twilight and Rainbow end up with a lot more than they bargained for.

  • ...
8
 46
 2,826

Chapter Six - Princess Crash

Twilight Sparkle had accomplished many things in her time. Fighting ferocious beasts and spreading the magic of friendship across Equestria were pretty much a normal part of her everyday routine. However, this may just prove to be the biggest challenge of her life.

The Wonderbolts Training Workout, aka Hell on Earth.
After one hundred laps of the academy, fifty wing ups, countless flight formations and stunts not to mention her stomach-turning attempt to survive the Dizzitron, the imitation pegasus felt as though every last drop of energy and willpower had been drained from her body. Even with numerous breaks the princess knew she would never, ever be an athlete. Of course, having the entire team give her confused, concerned looks and Spitfire screaming through her megaphone didn’t do anything for the former alicorn’s confidence. In fact, by the time lunch came around Twilight’s spirits were so utterly crushed that she almost didn’t mind that Rainbow’s reputation was probably going down in flames thanks to her. The pegasus walked shamefully towards the mess hall, so encompassed in misery and dejection she didn’t even hear the approaching hoofsteps behind her.

“Hey, Dash! Wait up!”an unfamiliar voice called. Twilight turned to see a handsome, svelte pale blue pegasus with a messy, dark mane and tantalising emerald eyes canter up beside her.

“Oh, um, hello...,”the former alicorn frantically racked her brains, desperately trying to remember what this stallion was called. If they hadn’t been so cut for time she would’ve asked Rainbow what the names of all the Wonderbolts were. Wait a moment. A old memory shimmered to the forefront of her mind. Dash had mentioned this pony before, that time when they went to Rainbow Falls, and his name was...

“Soarin!”Twilight exclaimed, then realised that she had shouted totally unnecessarily,”I mean, s’up dude! How’s it going?” The princess mentally slapped herself for being so crude.

“Um, I’m fine, thanks. You just seem a bit...off today Dash, is something wrong?”the stallion asked, his green eyes showing a lot of concern.

“Oh, yeah. I’m not feeling too great, actually,”the cyan pegasus admitted.

“Well, I think you should tell Spitfire. I’m sure she’ll understand. I would hate to see you push yourself too hard. I mean, it’s really important you’re at your best for tomorrow.,”Soarin advised her.

“Gee, he sure does seem pretty fond of Rainbow,”Twilight thought to herself. It was then she felt it. The fluttering in her stomach, the racing of her heart and a slight pink tinge on her muzzle. Signs that the princess instantaneously recognised.

“My, my. You really have got it bad, my friend,”the former alicorn giggled to herself,”Rainbow, you sly mare, how come you never told me? I guess you didn’t think it was cool or something. No matter, I may not be my sister-in-law but matchmaking you two will certainly be fun.”

“Actually Soarin, you’re right. I’ll tell Spitfire after lunch, I don’t know about you but I’m famished!”Twilight beamed and trotted away across the clouds, a new spring in her step as she delighted in the prospect of playing Cupid for once.

“Okay, then,”the stallion mumbled, slightly stupefied at Rainbow’s dramatic mood change. Regardless of that fact he was glad to see her smiling. It had made his heart do a pancake flip when she grinned at him. Not to mention the her stunning rose coloured eyes sparkled and that radiant, technicolour waterfall of a-

“Snap of it, Soarin,”he scolded himself noticing that he’d been wistfully staring after her,”It’s not like she’ll ever think of you in that way. I mean she’s the most incredible, fastest mare in Equestria, plus she’s saved your life and everypony’s about ten times. There’s no way she’sd even consider me as her special somepony. Still, I guess a stallion can dream, right?” Pulling himself together Soadin flew after the rainbow maned pegasus.

Lunch was a relatively quiet affair but the pale blue pegasus couldn’t help but notice something was different about Rainbow. For example the mare would normally load her plate full of food and then bolt it down at the speed of light. Today however she only had half her normal amount and ate her food with dainty, elegant bites as if she were royalty or something. The cyan pegasus’ posture was also oddly erect and refined like her spine were made of metal or there was a rod against her back. Furthermore despite the fact there was a limited amount of talking, whenever he said something Dash would hang on his every word, nodding along fervently as if he were some inspirational motivator. And each time Soarin looked in her direction the mare would either giggle or play with her mane. The stallion grew more and more uneasy with each passing minute. The rest of the team were too focused on their meal to notice much so they were no help either. Eventually Rainbow cleaned her plate and they walked out of the dining room together.

“So, er, Soarin. There’s actually something I want to ask you,”Twilight began nervously. She knew that she was taking a massive risk by doing this, but based on Dash’s rather, intense feelings towards Soarin and way the stallion looked at her the former alicorn felt obligated to at least try to push them in the right direction. Perhaps with this extra boost they could end up becoming special someponies! Or, it could horribly backfire and she could ruin their friendship and Rainbow would hate her for all eternity. But that wouldn’t happen, she hoped.

“Well, you see, I was wondering if you would possibly consider, I mean if you’re not already going with somepony, perhaps, accompanying me to the wedding tomorrow?”the princess asked, silently praying that he would accept. It was quite ironic really. Here she was, asking one of her best friends’ crush to be her date to her own wedding. A wedding that she wasn’t even sure was still happening. However, there was no going back now.

The pegasus stallion was once again stunned by this new revelation. It was like some sort of fantasy come true in the most unexpected way. He felt himself grow lightheaded, he was floating up to Cloud Nine, sheer euphoria filled him. Then Soarin saw Rainbow was still looking at him expectantly, her gorgeous eyes brimming with hope and he remembered he still hadn’t given her an answer.

“Of course I will, Rainbow. I’d be honoured to accompany you tomorrow,”the stallion grinned.

“Thank you so much!”Twilight cried, a mixture of joy and relief flooding her senses. Without thinking she wrapped her hooves around Soarin’s neck in a tight embrace, which he soon reciprocated.

“WHATIN THE BLUE BLAZES ARE YOU DOING?!”the former alicorn’s brain bellowed at her,”You are ENGAGED to the love of your life, and this is your BEST FRIEND’S potential special somepony!” Twilight quickly pulled out of the hug and gazed up sheepishly at the pale blue pegasus.

“Right, anyway. I think I just heard Spitfire calling us. Catch you later, bye!”the princess blurted out, racing away before he could question her.

Soarin just watched her fly away, a goofy smile plastered on his face.

“You know, I think I may just be in love with you, Crash,”he murmured softly.