• Published 10th Dec 2011
  • 3,302 Views, 27 Comments

Its a beautiful day, and I cant see it. - Budinsky



When a human gets blinded he gets depressed, Can the Power of Friendship help him

  • ...
3
 27
 3,302

Beautiful Tragedy

Its a beautiful day and I cant see it.

Have you ever had a day where you took your senses for granted? I’ve had plenty until that one cold November day.
It started out like a normal day, a breakfast of corn flakes and milk and watching T.V, and then I started watching cartoons like always. Then this show called My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, I’ve never watched it before so I decided to watch a few minutes of it. It didn’t appeal to me so I turned it off thinking it was nothing special, oh how wrong I was.

After breakfast I went to the garage to do my job, it was a simple one, repair small metal thing, be it desks or small projects I made myself, I loved it. It made decent money, I was good at it, and I loved doing it. My life was perfect, until I got careless. I had forgotten to flip my welding mask down and had started welding, sufficient to say it didn’t end well. “Ahhhh, Shit I can’t see” I bellowed holding my face screaming. I couldn’t see, I was disoriented and in immense pain. I stumbled around for a while, which felt like hours to me. Soon my neighbours had heard me and rushed me over to the Hospital and on the way the pain took over and I blacked out.

As I awoke I only saw darkness, the pain had receded but was still present, I couldn’t see but I could still use my other senses and I intended to use them. I smelt clean sterile air, tasted dryness, could move my body but decided against it because it hurt, felt soft bed sheets, and heard footsteps.
“Who’s there” I asked slightly alarmed.

“Calm down there son, my names Doctor James and I’ve got some bad news and some good news”.

I was slightly excited to hear the good news but at the same time, terrified at the bad.

“The good news is that your friend brought you here just in time to stop the pain from being worse”.
Hardly my friend, I only knew him as my neighbour, I wasn’t a very social guy, not a lot of people I trusted but I decided to let him continue, hopeful that the bad news wasn’t as bad as I thought.

“And now for the hard part”, I heard him mumble, “It seems we couldn’t save your sight, sorry son but you’ll be blind for the rest of your life”.

Shock, sorrow, anger, acceptance, disbelief, and anguish.
This is all I felt for seconds, and then the tears came.
I couldn’t grasp the realization that I was blind, I can’t believe it, I won’t. But then I just sat there and cried, realizing that my perfect life was crushed by that little incident, I never felt so angry, mostly at myself, but partially at James too, but all I could do is cry.

A few hours later and the tears had stopped falling, and the realization had sinked in, I Greg Hassles, was blind. My welding, my sketching, my simple life was gone just because I forgot to flip my mask down.

A few months later I had adjusted to life as a blind person, I had figured out a way to get around with a cane and had gotten help from my neighbour but the one thing I hadn’t figured out to cope with the depression that came with me being blind.
Every day I could hear the kids laughing and asking their parents why the strange man had sunglasses on in December. I couldn’t take it much longer. So that night when I went to bed, I made a silly Christmas wish.
“I wish I could have a perfect life again” I knew the cry fell on deaf ears but it brought me relief anyways.
As I closed my eyes I whispered to myself “Merry Christmas” then let sleep take me.