• Published 31st Aug 2018
  • 414 Views, 13 Comments

The Nightmare of Phobetor - kurusagi16



When an old nightmare awakens from his slumber, it's up to Discord, Luna and Twilight to save the day. A remake of Colour's Snowflakes.

  • ...
 13
 414

Restless

Fluttershy staggered her way through the Ponyville marketplace, her leaden eyelids threatening to close. She wanted nothing more than to collapse and go to sleep. But she couldn't, not only because she had business in town, but also because...

"Fluttershy!"

Fluttershy stopped in her tracks and looked over her shoulder, catching sight of her friend Twilight coming towards her.

"Oh, hello Twili--" But Fluttershy interrupted herself with a long yawn.

"Are you okay? You look, well, awful."

Indeed, Fluttershy did look like a sorry sight. Her mane was a tangled, disheveled, her eyes were red with dark circles, and her overall complexion seemed grey and lifeless.

"I'm alright, I just haven't been sleeping well, that's all."

Twilight looked at her with disbelief. "Have you talked to Princess Luna about this?"

"I did, and she's doing what she can." Fluttershy answered, swaying on her hooves.

"You really shouldn't be out and about like this." Twilight insisted. "You need to be back at home in bed."

Fluttershy shook her head. "I can't Twilight, I got to get things ready for tea."

"You mean your Tuesday tea?"

"Yes."

"Why didn't you cancel? I mean, you're clearly in no shape to host a tea party."

"I know, but Discord would be so disappointed. He really enjoys our teatime."

Twilight rolled her eyes. "I'm sure he does, but I think he'll be okay if he skips this one."

"I can't do that to him, Twilight." Fluttershy said drowsily. "I need to get things ready, I need tea."

"Fluttershy, forget about the tea, you need rest. Heck, even if you do get some rest I doubt you'll be well enough to do a tea party tomorrow."

"What?! Tomorrow?" Fluttershy said in a alarm. "I've got to hurry."

"Fluttershy, wait!" Twilight called, but it was too late. Fluttershy was already dashing off to continue her errands.

With a heavy sigh, Twilight turned and headed back to her castle.


Spike was busy polishing the crystalline thrones just as Twilight entered the throne room. "Oh, hey Twi, back so soon?"

"Yes, Spike, I need you to make a letter to Princess Luna." She said.

"Is everything okay?" Spike asked, curious to know what was going on.

"I don't know, only that Fluttershy seems determined to push herself and not get the rest she needs."

"You mean like what happened with Applejack when she tried to handle applebuck season by herself?"

"Worse than that." She said.

Obliging her request, Spike got out a piece of parchment and a quill and wrote out the letter as Twilight dictated it to him.

Dear Princess Luna,

I can't help but notice the state Fluttershy is in. She looks so tired and weak that I'm worried if she's taking care of herself. She won't tell me all that's going on with her, only that she's been having trouble sleeping and that you're doing what you can to help her. But, I can't help but feel like there's more to it than she's willing to let on. I'm hoping you could try talking some sense to her, get her to rest and regain her strength. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Sincerely, Twilight Sparkle.

"Alright Spike, send it out."

In a breath of green dragon flame, the letter was sent off to its destination.

"What are you going to do now?" Spike asked.

"I'm not sure, maybe there's something in my books that could give me an idea of how to help." She turned and headed in the direction of the library. "Wish me luck."

"Will do."


During Tuesday Teas at Fluttershy's cottage, Fluttershy usually makes sure that her home is nice and immaculate, with a lovely spread of tea cakes and foods, and a nice pot of tea, not too hot, not too cold. But today, Fluttershy's cottage was a mess. With as tired as she was, she hadn't been able to properly clean or tend to her animals. She didn't have the time or energy to bake and instead had to pick up an order of cupcakes from Sugarcube Corner, and she'd brewed the tea for too long, leaving it both bitter and cold. The poor Pegasus did her best to try and touch up the couch and the coffee table for Discord's arrival. She let out another long yawn and rested her head on the table's edge. But no sooner had she closed her eyes than she heard a knock at the door.

"Coming!" Fluttershy croaked, stumbling to her hooves and hurrying up to the door.

Sure enough, standing in the doorway was none other than Discord himself. At first he'd been ready with a nice warm smile to greet his dear friend, but his smile faltered upon seeing Fluttershy.

"Hello Discord." Fluttershy said, trying to act as though everything was well. "Please, come in."

Discord stepped inside and eyed the state of the cottage. "Perhaps I've come at a bad time." He said.

Fluttershy shook her head. "No, no, you're fine. Please, have a seat."

Taking up his usual spot on the couch, Discord filled himself a cup of tea. "Er, Fluttershy, are you alright?"

"I'm fine." She said unconvincingly. "Really, I am."

Discord hated being kept in the dark about things, especially by Fluttershy. But he decided to wait and press the issue later. He attempted to strike up some friendly conversation, but Fluttershy ended up nodding off to sleep.

"Mwahaaaaa!"

"No! Don't do this!"

"I would, but I'm afraid that just wouldn't be in my nature. Ta-ta Fluttershy."

"Stop! Please, Stop!"

"Fluttershy! Fluttershy, wake up!"

Fluttershy's eyes shot open, looking up at Discord, bent over her with a concerned expression on his face.

"You were calling out in your sleep." He said. "It looked like you were fighting or running away from something."

She sat up and rubbed her swollen eyes. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to fall asleep on you." She said, trying to avoid the issue of Discord's concern. "Would you like some more tea?"

Discord frowned at her. "This has gone on quite enough." He said. "What's wrong Fluttershy?"

"It's nothing." Fluttershy said, turning her head away from him.

Discord rose up, crossing his arms over his chest and arching an eyebrow at her. "Oh come now, don't think you can fool me, Fluttershy. I can tell just by looking at you that something is up."

Fluttershy tried to hide herself behind her mane, a natural screen for hiding away from confrontation. "You don't need to trouble yourself with my problems."

"Trouble myself? Fluttershy, you're the least troublesome pony I know." He said, growing a bit more irritated that she refused to open up to him. "Whatever is bothering you, you can tell me. After all, we are friends, aren't we?"

Lifting her face up and looking him in the eye, she said, "You're going to keep asking until I tell you aren't you?"

Discord smiled a little. "You know me so well."

It was at that point that Fluttershy allowed the tears that she'd been holding in to flow freely down her cheeks. Without any warning she flew into Discord's arms. The Draconequus, not used to handling these sorts of situations, did his best to awkwardly comfort her.

"There, there." He said, patting her tentatively on the back.

"I've, I've been having these awful nightmares." Fluttershy admitted. "Whenever I try to sleep, I get nothing but bad dreams. I can't rest, cause if I do, I'll just have to go through those nightmares again."

Discord pulled away and looked down at his pitiful friend. "How long has this been going on?"

Fluttershy sniffed. "About a week or so."

"A week?!" Discord's eyes widened, and he nearly dropped Fluttershy in shock. "No wonder you're so out of sorts!"

"I know." Fluttershy said, chocking on a sob. "I thought I could handle it on my own, but it's become unbearable."

Seeing Fluttershy in tears stirred something up in Discord. "What's Luna done about this? Does she even know?"

"She does know." Fluttershy said. "She hasn't been able to do much to stop them, but she's trying."

Discord gritted his teeth. "Well clearly she isn't doing a good enough job."

"It's fine, Discord." Fluttershy said.

"Stop saying that!" He said. "It's not fine, Fluttershy. You're here suffering all by yourself and Luna isn't doing a thing to help you. You may be alright with it, but I'm not."

He gently set her down on the couch and walked towards the door.

"Where are you going?" Fluttershy asked.

"To give that princess a piece of my mind." He answered. Discord looked at her and gave her a soft smile. "I'll sort this all out, I'm sorry to cut this tea party of ours short. Do try to get some rest, alright?"

And in a flash, he was gone.

Fluttershy sighed but couldn't help but smile, knowing that Discord cared so much about her well being.

"Or does he?" A voice whispered in her mind.

Fluttershy blinked and looked around, but decided she just imagined the voice.