• Published 31st Jul 2012
  • 4,027 Views, 110 Comments

The Everlasting Hope - Plasmadon



What would you do if you could live in Equestria? I'll give you a hint: do NOT piss off Rarity.

  • ...
28
 110
 4,027

The Ticket Master

Chapter 2: The Ticket Master

I opened my eyes gently. For some reason, I was lying on something soft. I had my guitar and my ocarina with me, and there was something exceptionally plush lying next to me. I looked around and realized it was Applejack.
“So it wasn’t a dream,” I muttered. “Good. I can start fresh.” I softly shifted to get out of AJ’s grasp. I took my ocarina to the center of the field. Once again, imagination pulls through at the most random times, as I got a crazy idea.
Death told me in my brief period back on Earth that unicorn magic is limited only by magical reserves and imagination. If I had the Element of Hope, then just maybe I’d have enough…
I started playing the Song of Storms. As expected, rain clouds began forming above me. So, I could channel my magic through music, as well as my horn. The rain began pouring. With a little magic, I separated each droplet and stopped them before they could hit the ground. Once the air was filled with watery orbs, I played a four note tune from the third stanza of the extended Prelude of Light. A single pinprick of sunshine formed through the clouds, refracting off the water and forming a dizzying collage of flashes and rainbows. I gathered up the light (still have no idea how I did that), sculpting it into a bright copy of myself. The figure hardened and pulled out a Keyblade. I mirrored its movements and it vanished, satisfied. I used the remaining light and water to form a dragon. It stood well over thirty feet tall, with glimmering, translucent scales, and balls of light for eyes. It roared a soundless roar, then shot a geyser of water and ice crystals into the air. I suddenly heard a scream from behind me. Seeing as that broke my concentration, the dragon sloshed to the ground, and the eyes winked out. I turned to see the little filly, Applebloom, staring at me, terrified. Note to self: ponies are scared of dragons. Brenner’s Wolves formed around me, hackles raised and teeth bared. Applebloom flinched at the sight of them. I looked to Brenner inquisitively.
“She’s young,” he explained. “The younger tend to be able to see us more easily. As for how, I don’t know.” I nodded, satisfied with the response.
“Stand down, Wolves,” I commanded, though hopefully not unkindly. “She is no threat.” All of the wolves relaxed slightly. Applejack, having apparently woken up, came up from behind me.
“What in tarnation is all the ruckus-”
Pinkie appeared from out of nowhere. “Fracas!” she shouted, then vanished. AJ looked at the spot, then continued. “-is all the fracas about?”
I nodded to Brenner’s Wolves. “You can show yourselves to her. It won’t do any harm.” The twenty one wolves flickered a little bit, and Applejack jumped back.
“Holy harmonicas!” she shouted. She ran and took a protective stance in front of her sister. I ignored this and turned back to the wolves.
“Listen up!” I shouted, making sure they could all hear. “One of you will be accompanying me wherever I go, save the restroom and bed. The shift will change regularly, to make sure that I get a chance to know you all. But first…” I nodded towards the black wolf. “How about you, sir?” the wolf nodded vigorously.
“You need a name… how about… Daniel?” I asked. The wolf gave me a grin.
“I like it,” he said in a raspy tenor. “After Daniel X?”
“Yeah. There’s just something there that makes you… untrustworthy.”
“Good.” I laughed along with a few of the wolves. I turned back to AJ. “Calm down, you look like you’re hyperventilating.” I jumped back across towards her and laid a hoof on her forehead. “Normal temperature, extremely high pulse rate, profuse sweating. Are wolves predators in this world?” I called back to Brenner.
“Only our wooden cousins, the Timberwolves.” He shouted back.
“Oh. Don’t worry, you two. They’re on our side.” I waved a hoof at the wolves. “Applejack, Applebloom, I’d like you to meet Brenner’s Wolves.”
Applebloom stopped shaking and slowly approached a midnight-blue female with deep green eyes. “Hi,” she said tentatively. “I’m Applebloom. What’s your name?”
“I don’t have a name, young one,” the wolf said. Applebloom looked shocked.
“No name? That ain’t right. How ‘bout… Starlight? ‘Cause yer eyes are like stars against yer fur.”
“Starlight… it fits. Thank you, Applebloom. May you live long, have many pups, and become as beautiful as your namesake.” Applebloom blushed and sat down with Starlight and another female, quickly dubbed ‘Whitefire’. I gotta admit, the filly had a knack for names. I trotted back to Applejack and Brenner, who were now talking like old friends.
“I see we’re getting along well now?” I asked jokingly. Brenner looked at me mildly, while Applejack was jumping around in excitement.
“Aw, ah almost forgot! Ah bet Big Macintosh ah could harvest all the golden delicious in the orchard. If ah win, he has ta walk down Stirrup Street in one of Granny Smith’s girdles.”
I burst out laughing. “Now that would be a sight,” I managed to choke out. “You need any help?”
“Thank ya kindly, Andrew,” she replied. I once again turned to the wolves.
“Daniel, Starlight.” They dashed across the fields, coming to attention in front of me. I chuckled. “At ease, guys. Will you guys help me and Applejack with the harvest?”
“Of course,” Daniel said instantly. “Whatever you ask us to do.”
And so we set to work, the four of us apple-bucking for the next hour or so. By the end, AJ and Daniel were panting, but Starlight and I had more fortune. Daniel and AJ, having gotten their fill of water, approached us.
“Andrew, I was wondering,” Daniel said in a tentative voice, “Why do you treat us like equals?”
“Why shouldn’t I?” I asked, confused. Hopefully this wouldn’t turn out to be a repetition of the DearS incident, where all they knew was being a servant.
“Well, the Element of Hope has had two other embodiments over the past four thousand years. Both times, Starlight and I served them faithfully. Both times, we were treated like common rats. I don’t even think they treated Brenner like an individual. To them, we were just Hope; stupid, bumbling Hope. Why don’t you treat us like that?”
“I don’t treat you like that because you aren’t like that,” I said sternly. “What others may see as bumbling rats I see as intelligent beings, one of which is having an ethical debate with me right now. In fact, I say many of the Wolves’ knowledge surpass my own. Besides, I will hardly look down upon one of the most revered predators in history.”
Daniel looked shocked and awestruck at this. Starlight was equally amazed.
“Well, snap out of it, you two!” I grinned. “I need my friends’ help with this project. Come on and help us carry the apples back to the barn.”
They shook their heads and smiled widely.
Andrew, you’ve done something right.

About an hour later Twilight showed up and, well, clobbered me in a hug. Considering she thought I was back on Earth, she brought the squeezing to a minimum. At this moment, Spike burped up a letter.
“Spike, you’ve got to teach me how to do that,” I said. Daniel snickered.
“-Grand Galloping Gala!” Spike exclaimed. “Gala held on the twenty first of –blah, blah, blah, --cordially extends invitation to Miss Twilight Sparkle plus one guest!”
“The Grand Galloping Gala?!” Twilight and AJ exclaimed.
“The Grand Galloping What-now?” I asked, my eyebrow raised.
“The Grand Galloping Gala! It’s only the most popular dance in Equestria,” Twilight said, the look of obvious sarcasm on her face.
“Twilight, need I remind you, I’ve been a pony for two days. I’m not exactly in on culture. Besides, the biggest dance I ever went to was my sophomore homecoming dance. I still have nightmares about that one…” I shivered, and Daniel and Starlight busted up laughing. I shot them the dirtiest look I could, then turned back to Twilight and AJ.
“-ta fix the barn’s saggy ol’ roof, Big Mac’s saggy ol’ plow, Granny Smith’s saggy ol’ hip,” AJ was saying.
“Wow, that is a good reason to take you,” Twilight murmured. She turned to me. “What would you do, Andrew?”
“Well,” I started, thinking very carefully, “It’s this huge ball, right? So I’d try to introduce a bit of Earth’s culture to you ponies. Some food, dances, maybe a bit of music…” I trailed off.
Okay, can you readers please count the times I “trail off”? It’s really hard to keep track.
“You’re a musician?” Twilight asked me. AJ whistled.
“Darn tootin’ he is!” she exclaimed. “Last night he played the most beautiful thing ah ever heard!”
“Really? Do you mind if I hear a bit?” Twilight asked. I nodded, grateful to pull out my ocarina again. Daniel and Starlight gave each other knowing looks. The moment I played the first note of Serenade of Water, the two began to hum. It was a longing melody, so haunting you could hear it play on even after the music stopped. As I blew the last note, my two wolfish friends howled. Twilight was staring, openmouthed, at the ocarina in my hoof.
“Where did you learn to play that?” she asked in a little wonder.
“Primary school, my dear Twilight. I can’t remember why I wanted to learn, though. Something about an adventurer in green…” I trailed off when I saw Daniel staring at me in disbelief. “What?” I said defensively. “I put being a pony above Nintendo, dude!” he shook his head, clearly pissed that anyone would put Nintendo second. I mean, yeah, LoZ was good and all, but Pokémon? What in the hell were they thinking? Five generations…
My reverie at Nintendo’s stupidity was interrupted by a certain cyan tomboy trying, once again, to kill me. I looked up to see a mildly apologetic Dash and a laughing Starlight.
“Jeez, Colors, if you wanna punch a hole in me, you could have just asked,” I muttered. We all busted up laughing again.
“What about you, Rainbow? What would you do if you wanted to go to the Gala with Twilight?”
“Twilight’s got an extra ticket to the Gala?!” she exclaimed. “Oh, thank you Twilight!”
“Now wait just a minute, Rainbow,” AJ said. “That ticket’s mine.”
“Is not.
“Is too.”
“Is not!”
“Is too!”
“Girls!” I shouted. “Why don’t we let Twilight decide? It is her ticket, after all.”
Twilight gave me a relieved look. “Thank you, Andrew.” I tipped my head.
“Not a problem, Twi. Now, I’m going with Twilight for the day, so no one tries to kill her for that extra ticket. Danny, you coming with?” Daniel nodded and padded after me. He leaned over.
“Should we show the rainbow pony and the unicorn the rest of the wolves?”
I shook my head. “Nah, let it be a surprise,” I chuckled out. “They can’t see you two right now, correct?” Daniel nodded again.
“See ya in the evening, AJ!” I called. She tipped her hat, picked up a basket, and beckoned to Starlight.
“Come on, Star, we gotta get these here apples back to the barn fast.” Rainbow looked at her oddly, then flew off to help. As she passed, I heard her mutter, “Never been called Star before. Maybe because I’m faster than a shooting star…”
Can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
Shut up, subconscious. I’d like to keep that song for the next story.
Twilight walked on throughout the streets, finally coming to a stop in front of Carousel Boutique. I trotted in, hoping Rarity would be able to make me something epic. She trotted around the corner, smiling warmly as she did so.
“Twilight! And… Andrew, is that you?!” she jumped and hugged me tightly. “I knew you’d come back! I told you, didn’t I, Twilight?”
Twilight grimaced. “Yes, you did, Rarity. We came because I have an extra-” she was cut off by a miniature explosion upstairs.
“Oh, Sweetie Belle,” I heard Rarity exclaim. She started towards the stairs, but I intercepted her.
“You just go on with Twilight. I’ll check on the blast radius. Besides, explosions are my specialty,” I said, giving her a cheery grin. She looked at me like I was insane (face it people, I probably am), but nodded and turned back to Twilight. I ascended the stairs slowly. Years of playing Fallout and Black Ops: Zombies ingrained the idea in my head that most, if not all, explosions were radioactive, and therefore transformed anything in the blast radius into a mutated demon/zombie. As I peeked into a room, I was relieved that there was only one non-zombie pony in there, and the room wasn’t burned black or glowing green. The filly looked sad, and I couldn’t help but D’AWWW in my head.
The filly looked like someone had put an ice cream swirl in the shape of a pony, then gave it life. She had a snow-white coat, like Rarity, and was a unicorn. Her mane was kind of 50’s (I think) little girly looking, with a soft curl here or there that was accentuated by her twisting bubblegum and lavender mane. Once again, the Rarity family shows their progress at all things fabulous (or as I really wanna say it, FAABULOOOOOUUUUS). She looked at me with a little despair.
“Hello, mister. If you’re looking for something to wear, the shop’s downstairs,” she said. She looked so depressed it actually made me want to cry.
NO! not now, you damn mood swings. I do NOT need of you right now.
Instead, I placed a hoof on her shoulder. “What’s wrong, kid?” I asked, in the most polite tone I could muster. She looked at her flank sadly.
“I’m trying to earn my Cutie Mark, but I just can’t, no matter how many things I try.”
Cutie Marks. So that’s what they were called. AJ caught me staring at hers last night and explained the whole concept of ‘appearing when you find your calling in life’.
“Well, maybe you just need to try a little harder. If it makes you feel any better, I don’t have one either.” Sweetie Belle stopped and examined my flank with interest.
“That’s impossible,” she muttered. Then she saw the guitar case strapped to my back. “Are you sure you aren’t good at music?”
I tapped the case. “This old thing? Nah, I’m only okay with it. Would you like to hear me play something?”
She jumped up with excitement. “Sure!” she said, bouncing around the room. I unlocked the case, ruffling through the stacks of lyrics underneath my beauteous acoustic. Hand carved and polished, made from the finest maple, and 100% badass. I finally pulled out two familiar sheets of lyrics. I handed one to Sweetie Belle.
“I’d be honored if you’d sing with me,” I said, a warm smile on my face. She looked at the music, confused, then nodded apprehensively. I set the song with a few strums, then began.
(Song is A Thousand Miles by Vanessa Carlton. Unfortunately, the lyrics had to be removed due to copyright infringement.)
I ended on several strums. It actually went pretty well, considering I was playing the percussion section on the base (Base, not Bass. Base) of the guitar.
Sweetie Belle’s voice was (pardon the French) tres magnifique. She matched me note-for-note from the first word she sang. Ah, it was like watching a little female me with parents and magic. After the song ended, she jumped around in excitement.
“That was awesome, mister!” she chirped, waddling around. I replaced my guitar and turned back to Sweetie Belle.
“Thanks, kid. By the way, I think I know what your special talent is.”
She stared at me. “You do?” she asked head cocked to one side. She then rushed up and put her enormous eyes to my enormous eyes. “Tell me, mister!”
“Nuh-uh.” I waggled a hoof at her. She drooped slightly. As I exited, I had a thought. I turned my head back to the crestfallen filly.
“Sweetie Belle, keep practicing. You have a great voice. And as for the Cutie Mark problem, look at it this way: ponies with Cutie Marks have only one thing they’re really good at. The longer you’re a ‘blank flank’, the more things you can learn to do extra-good. Okay?”
Sweetie Belle looked confused, but nodded vigorously. “Come again soon, mister!” she said, waving a hoof. I allowed myself a small smile, then greeted Daniel outside the room.
“You are the most peculiar creature I’ve ever met, you know that?” he told me. I let the smile go a little wider.
“Oh, hell yeah.”
Danny-boy and I trotted back down the stairs, where Rarity was doing her weird space out/ daydream thing. The three of us snuck out, trying not to be noticed by the white unicorn’s detailed eye. I finally released a breath unintentionally held.
“Well, I did not expect to be playing songs for ponies a week ago,” I muttered. Twilight and Daniel laughed.
“Yet here you are, having a conversation with a lavender unicorn and a magical wolf who only you, Applejack, and Applebloom can see.” Danny was able to splutter that much out between his laughs.
“Oh yeah, I am sooo insane.”
I still found it peculiar that Twilight couldn’t see, hear, or even smell Daniel. He was solid as a rock, and walking right next to her. She did shiver whenever she brushed by him, however, making it positive he existed.
We walked on, only stopping when we got to a certain animal-maniac’s house. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see a butter-yellow pegasus and a bright pink, well, Pinkie Pie standing at one of the windows, watching Twilight. I hurried to catch up.
“Twilight!” I hissed. She stopped and turned to me, confused. “They already know. Let’s get out of here while they can’t get us.” Twilight’s stomach growled like Daniel at the thought of a broken N64. “Besides, your stomach could use relief as well.” We turned and bucking ran. We ran until there wasn’t a ticket-hungry pony in sight, which was conveniently right in front of a restaurant.
“Table for three,” I muttered to the waiter. He led us to an open-air table outside, where Twilight, Spike (Oh, you didn’t think we had Spike with us? I had to drag the scaly bastard out of Rarity’s with my own teeth) and I sat, staring at menus.
“Hey, Spike, what do you think is better? Hay fries, or the lemongrass and daisy salad?” I asked him. He shrugged.
“I personally prefer hay fries, but that’s because they taste more like gemstones.”
I gaped. Daniel, beside me, did the same. “You eat gemstones?”
“Yeah,” he replied, leaning back to examine his claws. “All dragons eat gemstones, but they’re often hard to find. That’s one of the reasons I like Ponyville so much; it has pockets of gems pretty much all over town.”
“You’ve gotta be kidding me!” I exclaimed. I lowered my voice to a whisper before adding, “On Earth, and with the size of those gems, you’d be richer than Princess Celestia!” he gawked at me.
“Seriously?”
“Damn straight, my scaly friend.”
The waiter arrived. “What may I get Sirs and Madam today?”
“I can’t decide!” Twilight shouted in frustration.
“Uh, Twilight?” Spike said. “He just wants your order.”
“Oh. I’ll have the daisy salad, please.”
“Do you have any rubies?” Spike asked. I nearly slapped him before realizing that wasn’t as much of a stupid question as it was on Earth. The waiter gave him a look that plainly said “Does it look like I’ve got rubies, idiot?”
“No? I’ll have the hay fries, then. Extra crispy!”
“Just the lemongrass and daisy salad with some lemonade,” I murmured. The waiter took our menus, glared at Spike one more time, then went to get our things.
Before you ask, let me explain. I have this HUGE addiction to lemonade. I’ve been drinking it almost every day for the past ten years, and the last two days have been giving me a killer headache.
The waiter eventually arrived with our food. He got me what must have been a gallon-size tankard of lemonade. I dug around in my saddlebags, pulled out the coin purse Big Mac had given me, and gave him a few bits. He nodded gratefully, then turned to attend to another table. I downed the several liters of lemonade in a matter of seconds, with Spike looking on in awe. I managed to get two refills in the space of three minutes. I was just downing my third mug and starting on my salad when water dropped on me like a brick. The waiter called to us from the door.
“Sirs and Madam, are you sure you want to eat in the rain?”
“What?” Twilight said, confused. “It’s not raining.”
“What was that, Twilight?” I asked sarcastically. “I couldn’t hear you over all the rain.” My mane, coat, and tail were now thoroughly soaked. Bits of my mane were dropping into my eyes. I looked up to see who was protecting Twilight from the downpour…
Rainbow Dash. Of-bloody-course.
“Hey, Dash, can you do me a favor?” I called hopefully. She turned to look at me angrily, before blatantly disregarding me.
“Rainbow? What are you doing?” Twilight asked uncertainly.
“Hi there, best friend forever that I’ve ever had!” she called in a cheery voice. Way too obvious. “I just saw the smartest, most generous pony in Equestria about to get rained on, so I thought I’d kick a hole in the clouds to keep her dry so she could dine in peace!” Waaayy too obvious.
“Rainbow, are you trying to get extra consideration for the extra ticket by doing extra special favors?”
“Me?” Rainbow shook her head. “No, no, no, of course not!”
“Uh-huh.” Twilight raised an eyebrow.
“Seriously, I’d do it for anypony!”
Without looking over, Twilight pointed a hoof at me and Spike. Rainbow giggled nervously.
“Look, Rainbow, I appreciate the offer, but I am not comfortable accepting unwanted favors, so I’d appreciate it if you closed up that hole!”
Rainbow finally relented and blocked the hole. Unfortunately, Twilight did not see the consequences of her actions.
“Uh, Twi,” I chuckled nervously. “Maybe you should’ve eaten your salad before-” Twilight moaned with displeasure as her salad was utterly crushed beneath a volley of raindrops.
“Twilight!” I heard Rarity call from somewhere nearby. “It’s raining!”
“Oh, you think? I had no idea!” I muttered. I downed the remains of my watered-down lemonade and followed Rarity, who was dragging Twilight towards the boutique.
“The tasty die soggy…” I whimpered. Spike sobbed an agreement as he groped for his now-drowned hay fries.
The trek to Rarity’s was short, but unforgiving. When we finally got there, we just managed to slip in without getting a door in our faces. I shook off most of the water, making a small circle of wet carpet around me. Rarity looked at me with distaste, and continued.
“—Makeovers!” she exclaimed. She then proceeded to get Twilight into a fancy saddle.
“It looks good,” I decided, smiling.
“Yeah, it’s pretty cute, isn’t it?” Twilight said. I seriously hope to God that she didn’t just bat her eyelashes at me. That would just make my love life more complex than it already was.
“Oh, and Spike!” Rarity said, literally obsessing over the clothes she had that would fit Spike. He came out of the curtain next wearing a dark blue shirt and matching trousers, with a sparkling wig on his head.
“Now for a hat!” Rarity said, shoving on a Three Musketeers-esque hat with a feather onto his head. She looked at me next, an odd gleam in her eye.
“Damn you, universe,” was the last thing I said before being pulled into measurement hell.
Like before, I came out in a suit, but this one was more… casual. It actually took me all my self-control not to make a Godfather reference in a Brooklyn accent. Twilight looked over at me, impressed.
“Wow,” she said. “You look good.” I silently agreed, but shoved that under the “arrogant and not needed at this moment” section of my brain.
“Ugh, I’m leaving. I don’t want any part of this girly Gala gunk. See you back at the library, Twilight!”
I ran after him, only stopping when a lightning bolt struck the ground about two centimeters in front of me. “Heh,” I chuckled. “You know what? This suit really does bring out my eyes. I think I’ll stay here for the time being.”
Rarity looked displeased, as if she expected me to leave once she got me all suited up. I then realized that Rarity must want the ticket too. But why try to get me out of the running?
The truth hit me like a water bottle hitting Justin Beiber. Of course! Rarity didn’t know I didn’t want the tickets! Okay, I might have wanted the tickets a little bit, but not enough to go bat-shit insane over them.
Alright then. I’ll play along… for now.
“Um… Rarity?” I asked. “Do you mind if I go to the other room to take this off?” I tugged at the tight collar, while Daniel (yeah, did you forget about him again too) tried desperately not to laugh.
“Oh, go right ahead, darling! Just be sure not to tear anything!” she said, looking greatly relieved. I walked into the room and closed it quickly. I pulled the suit off, Daniel now freely laughing. He was still choking when I trotted over to the door and turned the knob experimentally. It was locked.
“Oh, predictable Rarity,” I chuckled. Daniel stood by my side.
“Danny, I’m gonna try teleporting again. Grab on!” he jumped to my side. I felt the burning sensation, then opened my eyes to Twilight’s library. Spike half-waved a hello before returning to his cleaning. I lounged about, reading, while Daniel tried to play pranks on Spike. After about a half-hour, Twilight came bursting through the door, hair slightly out of place and a terrified look on her face.
“Thank Celestia… I’m safe…” she spluttered. She turned on the light to the fiction section and gasped. I looked over to see Rarity, AJ, Rainbow, Pinkie, and Fluttershy staring at her with innocently demonic smiles.
“I CAN’T DECIDE!!!” Twilight screamed, finally snapping. “I just can’t decide! It’s important to all of you and I can’t stand to disappoint any of you, and giving me gifts and favors won’t make any difference because you’re my friends and I want to make you all happy and I can’t. I just can’t!” she put her head down, covered it with her hooves, and began shaking. Okay, that got me pissed. This was going too far, so I finally decided to add my shit to the line.
“What in the name of Luna is wrong with you ponies!” I said, the anger in my voice just barely held back by my faint psychic connection to Daniel and Brenner. I pointed to Twilight. “You’re all supposed to be her best friends, and here you are, forcing her to choose between you. Not only that, you’ve let your obsession with the tickets turn you into total assholes!” by then, Brenner and Daniel had given up trying to calm me down.
“Oh yeah?” Rainbow retorted. “Well, you’ve been trying to get her ticket the entire day! I mean, you’ve been following her!” Rarity and Pinkie nodded to this, which only pissed me off even more.
“Actually, Colors,” I said, making sure to use the nickname that irked her most. “I was spending the day trying to get to know one of my friends better. Maybe get some lunch, talk about extra-dimensional physics, stuff like that.” My voice was, to this point, deadly calm. The kind of calm that sends so many chills down your spine, you’d still freeze even if you were on fire.
The ponies, in contrast, looked so guilty you couldn’t have seen a more guilty face on a first-time offender. Dash was stunned into silence. I turned to Daniel and Starlight, who had followed Applejack in. “Protect her if need be,” I whispered to them. They nodded, eyes blazing with the anger I now felt. They situated themselves on either side of Twilight, teeth bared. I saw AJ gulp before I turned to the door.
“I’m sorry, Twi, but I need some time to think. See you later!” I slammed the door. Wandering aimlessly in my anger for a few minutes, I found the restaurant I had visited earlier. Inside was a magnificent grand piano. I knocked on the door. The waiter came up behind me.
“Excuse me, sir, but the restaurant is closed,” he said in a soft voice.
“I know,” I said in the most emotionless voice I could muster. “But do you mind if I play that piano for a while? I often find it helps to let your emotion out through music.”
The waiter nodded knowingly. He unlocked the front door and let me inside. I strode over to the piano, marveling at how smooth the keys were. Probably made with real ivory and ebony.
After ten minutes and a few songs, I finally came upon a familiar one. I started playing. After a few bars, I heard a near-perfect voice come from behind me.
I turned to see Sweetie Belle, Applebloom, and a little pegasus filly with a gamboge coat and a royal purple mane. Sweetie Belle gave me an enormous grin, which I couldn’t help but return, and sat down next to me. We played through the rest of the song, smiling cheerfully all the while. As the song ended, Applebloom jumped up and down.
“That was awesome, Andrew,” she exclaimed. I raised an eyebrow at the name, and she blushed. “Applejack told me that you’re…”
I sighed. “That mare does have something against keeping secrets, doesn’t she?” Applebloom laughed. The pegasus filly looked at me with all the suspicions of Rainbow Dash, except with about fifty times more adorable-ness.
“Who is this guy, Applebloom?” she asked, putting her enormous eyes against mine. “Is he a spy?”
“Let me guess: fan of Dash, right?”
“Duh!” the filly said this with all the obviousity she could muster. “She’s only the fastest, coolest, awesomest, most radical, most-” Applebloom cut her off, which brought a relieved smile to my face. Suddenly, our stomachs growled in unison. I grinned.
“Come on, you three,” I said. “Let’s go back to Sweet Apple Acres and I’ll give you something to eat.”
We walked to Sweet Apple Acres in relative peace. I had to sneak through an alleyway or two when I noticed Pinkie prowling the streets, her mane flat and her eyes sad. It terrified me that I had gone so far as to invoke the dreaded “Pinkamena”.
After maybe thirty minutes, we arrived at the main house. I walked in, saying, “Granny Smith? You still alive?” she slowly walked in, leaning on her walker.
“I ain’t dyin’ that fast, sonny,” she muttered, irritated. I laughed inwardly, turning back to the kitchen.
“Who’s up for breakfast?” I asked, shaking my hooves together.
“But it’s, like, 8:00,” Scootaloo muttered. I turned to her, twirling a knife expertly.
“Ah, but that’s the best part, dear Scootaloo,” I said, grinning. “Who needs salads when you could have some delicious eggs?” and with that, I set to work making breakfast for dinner.
Twenty minutes later, there were four plates of eggs, hash browns, apples, and juice sitting at the table. Now, I’m not exactly the best cook, especially when it comes to breakfast, but apparently I wasn’t half bad with my new appendages. I let out a small moan of delight as I sated my stomach. Thank God they had lemon trees interspersed in the most tropical portion of the farms. Otherwise, I thought I’d have to go back to town and get myself a jack-ton of lemonade.
I had fun with the fillies. After eating, Scootaloo and I had a juice-drinking competition, we played hide and seek, and just sat down and talked. It was only when Applebloom asked me why I was playing the piano that I felt a slight twinge of sadness.
“Well, I had a fight with your sister and her friends, Applebloom,” I sighed. “They were harassing Twilight on who’s going to the Gala with her. She had a breakdown, and I got, well, angry.” Applebloom and Sweetie sat by my sides sympathetically. I then felt a certain pegasus jump on my head.
“Cheer up, Andrew,” Scootaloo said happily. She shoved her eyes against mine once again, saying, “I mean, if they really feel bad, they’ll apologize to you and Twilight, and then you can all be friends again.” I started to explain to Scootaloo why that wouldn’t work, but I realized: it would work. So far, every argument I’ve seen in this world has been resolved in a matter of seconds. There’s something that anger just can’t feed on in this world. The ponies are born ready to forgive and forget; they just can’t argue.
It’s physically impossible for them to truly hate.
I heard a sudden knocking on the door. AJ walked in, looking sad. Her cheeks were red, and her eyes were watery. She looked utterly shocked to see me. She rushed up to me, crying.
“Ah’m sorry ah got carried away like that, Andrew,” she choked out. I could see the three fillies edging their way out of the room. Applebloom looked a little scared. “Ah was so excited about wantin’ ta go the Gala, ah got angry with the others. Ah never even stopped ta think about Twilight.”
I did something next that surprised even me: I hugged her. Now, this wasn’t just a hug. This was the kind of hug two people at their most vulnerable share; the kind of hug that’s just a little bit more than friendly. She was taken aback, but hugged me back. For a long time, we sat there, holding each other. At one point, I thought I heard a faint “awww”, but I dismissed that as you readers. I finally broke the hug, staring at her, all anger washed away.
“I could never stay mad at you, y’know?” I said, voice cracking slightly. She blushed slightly.
“I know.”
After that, we talked for a long time. I must have eventually dozed off, because when I opened my eyes again, it was midnight. Applejack was sleeping peacefully beside me. I chuckled slightly, and gently lifted onto my back. I climbed up the already-familiar stairs, only stopping when I reached her room. It was plain, but charming. Only one poster adorned the wall; it was of the Wonderbolts, but that wasn’t a surprise. Rainbow Dash probably gave it to her. I slowly set her on the bed, saying:
“Sweet dreams, Applejack.”
With that, I teleported to the roof of the barn. It was a warm night out, and I quickly fell asleep under my favorite things in the galaxy: the stars.