• Published 4th Jul 2018
  • 685 Views, 47 Comments

Force of Wills: A Duel of Fates Story - Shadowsnake89

  • ...
3
 47
 685

8.1 (Prelude)

"Research log 453." Patchwork said as the data recorder played and she looked over the surgical instruments on her table. "I must say I was rather surprised on my arrival to my labs to discover I'd had an unexpected guest in my personal workshop. Subject 129, name Wallflower Blush, had sliced into my terminal. To say this was a shock would be an understatement as all data and test collected in the past from 129 led me to believe that all but basic mental functions had been permanently damaged beyond repair due to my previous work on the subject. 129 was not only found having hacked into my terminal but copying data." She looked over to Wallflower, who was semi conscious and strapped down on a steel operating table.

"Subject had to be sedated to prevent further damage and has left me even more fascinated then I had been prior. 129 is or rather was a Jedi Knight. I assumed my combat enhancement on force sensitives was all for naught when my barrage of tests showed that her mind had been irreversibly mangled, but perhaps given time, portions of the brain have repaired themselves. Another theory, perhaps she, with a combination of the force and a bit of method acting was able to fool my tests and she was always in control of what remained of her mental faculties."

"Whatever the case, this allows me to reopen an old avenue in my superior soldier project. I had all but thought it a failed endeavor without the proper subject to build upon. Thanks to my surveillance footage and Mr. Sentry, things are finally turning around. I'll have to remember to thank him, in one way or the other." She turned on her terminal next to the operating table and opened a folder that displayed several blueprinted images of some sort of armor design, some of which had multiple sets of limbs, clawed hands and feet as well as skeletal forms with odd masked face plates. Wallflower looked over weakly at the terminal as Patchwork looked down to her with a smile. "Subject will of course have to remain conscious throughout the procedure. It will certainly be an...experience for the both of us." She began to get her instruments prepared as she set the programs on the operating system.

"Oh, before I forget, we actually have a side note for this log. Adagio Dazzle, leader of the sirens has returned out of the blue. I suppose reports of her demise were greatly exaggerated. Upon returning, she got right back into the mix and put her former underlings back in their places. I should be excited about her return. After all it was she that made all of this possible. I'm not though. She seems...different now, like something has changed in her. Case in point: She influenced Indigo Zap not to go through with using the gas I cooked up on Loyalist positions and cities and instead has opted for a far more risky endeavor. I thought the whole point of this was to get the Republic's attention, draw more into this conflict an bring more to our cause across the galaxy."

"Now it seems she's intent on minimizing damage for what purpose, I don't know. I'll have to keep an eye out, figure out what's changed. She may no longer have our best interests in mind. But..." She turned back to Wallflower. "That's enough for now. There are other matters that call for my immediate attention. Patchwork, signing off."


Elsewhere on the base, Adagio walked confidently down the halls as everyone passing her instantly saluted her. She'd missed this, the command of respect no matter where she went, everyone falling over themselves to please her. Eventually, she arrived at a steel door where a guard stood on either side. "Open it." She said simply as they complied and she entered before they closed it behind her. The dim lighting in the room was shone on a single area in the center where a single device sat. It appeared to be nothing more than a solid polished stone slab suspended by thick chains over a pool of water several feet deep. The stone surface itself had bizarre markings engraved in it's surface and restraints for a humanoids single set of arms and legs. Oddly enough sparks sporadically flew from it's surface as a lone being was suspended from it, facing downward to the pool.

"Aria." Adagio uttered to the restrained siren. Aria weakly turned her head to her elder, revealing fresh scars up and down her face and body through her tattered clothes.

"Adagio..." She uttered with a choked voice, just uttering that seemingly causing her immense pain.

"You still have your senses about you. Interesting. You've managed to endure eight hours of this and yet your mind hasn't broken. Given Sonata's love of these 'toys' I'm surprised."

"I don't...understand."

"You never were too bright when it came to these kinds of things." Adagio walked closer and ran her left hand along the slab, near to Aria's head. "I had a plan. Everything laid out so perfectly, with the most tender of care and you....ruined everything for us. I truly thought you were the better apprentice. You had so much rage, so much passion, you just needed the drive to truly achieve your full potential. I had so much to teach you." Adagio's hand then ran over to the control panel next to the machine and turned a knob that sent a strong current of electricity through her former apprentice as she screamed out in pain. It lasted for several seconds as the orange haired siren grinned, only for it to change to one of discomfort before she turned the dial back down.

Aria's flesh smoked as she cried from the sheer pain she'd just endured as what little healing her body had managed between the last session and the current situation had all been undone. "It...doesn't have to...be this way. I...could...still learn. I'll do...better. "

Adagio walked back to her sister and leaned down to her level with a slight look of compassion and uneasiness. "I'm...I'm certain you could." She put a gentle hand to Aria's face and caressed it. "We had such dreams sister, you and I. But...things have changed, I've changed and we have a timetable to keep." Her demeanor changed from one of gentleness to stern and cold discipline as she got up and walked back to the controls. "I have an apprentice. What I need... is a wild beast." She dialed it to the max as Aria's screams were almost drowned out by the power output. A pull of the lever submerged the slab into the pool beneath her as it lit up from the high voltage current being run through it like an intense lightning storm.

Adagio left the room as the two unnerved troopers still stood at attention. She marched back down the hall to her personal quarters to prepare for the next phase of her plan. Everything and everyone had to play their part perfectly, no matter the cost. The siren told herself that repeatedly to believe it but, once no one else was in sight, she stopped and leaned against the corridor wall as she gripped her violently shaking hand as if a battle was being waged in her mind, the combatants and stakes clearly a mystery even to her.

Author's Note:

A sort of midway point in chapter 8 that didn't quite fit in. This is a day prior to the final scene of that chapter to add some interesting tidbits as to what to expect in chapter 9. Hope you enjoy.