• Published 4th Jul 2018
  • 685 Views, 47 Comments

Force of Wills: A Duel of Fates Story - Shadowsnake89

  • ...
3
 47
 685

Chapter 12

Inside the now abandoned lab where Patchwork had been set up before the final phase of the plan, the sound of silence was broken as a hand reached up and pulled the body behind it up to the main station floor. "Jeez Wallflower, did you really have to throw me so hard?" He asked sarcastically as he managed to get all the way up before flopping on his back and catching his breath. Flash sat up and looked over at the terminal that he'd always seen Patchwork toiling at day after day before getting to his feet and rushing over to it. The blue haired man groaned as he found it locked. "Figures she'd lock it back, even if she was never coming back. Oh well. Time to put those skills to work for good again, Sentry." He got to working on the device, using his slicer skills to do his best to hack into it hoping to find some way to put a wrench in the plan of the siren and doctor.

Above ground and miles from the sight via the underground tram lines, the rebel forces, rallied by Sonata Dusk were shoring up their defenses for the incoming Royalist attack. Sonata walked along the upper level of the base as she watched those beneath her scramble to get the facility fortified. She chuckled as she pulled out her communicator and an image of Patchwork appeared with a cloaked cyborg Wallflower standing behind her. "Things are working out just as we planned." Sonata said. "My spies reported that the Royalist forces are on their way here right now. Not the full force but it should be sufficient enough to break their backs. So where is our generous benefactor?"

"She's headed out to make sure the transfer of the rest of the gas shipments are prepared to move back up to the fleet." The doctor said as she looked off to her left side to address a droid that had a tablet in it's hands as she scribbled something on it. "We'll be departing soon as well. I'd rather not be here when those vents start pumping. I'd recommend you do the same soon."

Sonata chuckled as she ran two small items through the fingers of her right hand. "In good time. I've got a rendezvous of sorts here. We do have a little time to amuse ourselves, and I'd love to see your little robot in action."

This comment caused Wallflower to grunt slightly only for the doctor to press a switch that sent a jolt of electricity into her brain to keep her submissive. "Sorry about that. Obedience training isn't fully completed yet. I'll have to get back in there and make a few more 'improvements.'" Just as Patchwork said this the alarms around the base began to blare. "Hmm, looks like they're early."

Miles off, the mass airborne force of the royalists were on their way to the main staging base of the rebel forces. Among the many troop transports that made up the impressive attack force were a few heavy transports, each carrying a medium tank on the underside for additional firepower. With them was the large number of fighter and fighter-bomber escorts, Vapor Trail leading the formation. "How's she handling?" Sky Stinger asked over the com system.

"Still fits like a glove even after all this time." Vapor responded. "Just good to be back in this cockpit."

"Same here." He replied as he saluted. "Wish I could be your wingman this time around but I got two newbies who need my supervision."

"Low blow." A young female voice sounded over the com. "Pick's the one that needs help. You should've seen him try landing last month. Sergeant nearly blew a fuse." She laughed as her brother chimed in over the channel.

"Shut up, Barley! We'll see who's laughing when I get ace status before you." He fired back as the two began to argue.

"Alright, pipe down you two." Sky ordered as they quitted themselves. "Neither of you should be focused on kills, your job is to make sure the transports get in. Got it?"

"Yes sir." The siblings said as they stayed in formation with the gunships and troop transports around them.

Inside one of the transports, Hisan sat in full strike force gear, tapping his foot and looking around nervously. One of the troopers at his side took notice of this. "Are your alright, Your Highness?"

Hisan casted his gaze downward at his still tapping foot as he fought to keep it still. "My heart is racing, my mouth is dry, I can hardly breath. I apologize but I am unaccustomed to this."

The trooper patted him on the back with a smile. "Don't worry Your Highness, that's all normal. Not a man in here feels any different. Just takes time to get your nerves under control." The pharaoh returned a still shaky smile as he gripped his weapon. All of a sudden red lights began to flash inside the dropship as everyone looked up. "Alright, everyone locked and loaded. Five minutes out." They heard over the intercom as the troopers loaded their weapons and prepared their gear.

Over the horizon the base was coming into view. Along with it, dozens of droid fighters began to fly out from the rebel base flight pads and roared towards the invading forces. Alongside them were manned fighters from the rebel forces who took off from nearby hangers Vapor Trail gripped tight on the control stick of her Porax 38 and let out a controlled breath. "Alright, here we go. Green Team, form up on me for interception. Everyone else holds formation. Protect the landing craft at all costs."

"Roger that!" The other flight leaders said in acknowledgement as Green Team kicked in their afterburners and shot straight at the enemy flight. The two groups met as some fighters on both sides were destroyed straight out and the rest broke off and began to engage in dogfights. A number of droid fighters bee lined towards the dropships, seemingly having been programmed to attack high priority targets.

"Everyone stick with your wingman and don't let them single you out!" Vapor said over the com as she caught one of the droid fighters in her sights and opened fire. "Heads up, landing force, they're headed your way."

"Roger that. We got them." One of the escort pilots confirmed as they stayed close to the dropships but just far enough ahead to intercept the droid fighters as the attack devolved into hard aerial combat. Near the same time the bases anti-air defenses kicked in. One of the gunships was almost immediately swarmed by four droid fighters as it's pilot did their base to shake them off. Two of the loyalist's Porax 38's joined to aid, taking out three of the attackers, the fourth breaking off. Sadly, it was a case of two little too late as the troop transport spiraled out of the sky in a ball of fire.

"Everyone stay focused." Vapor shouted over the communications as her group broke off to engage with another attacking wing of droid and rebel starfighters. "Regroup and don't let anymore slip through our screen!" She met two droid fighters accompanied by a single rebel ARC-170 fighter. She opened with her dual heavy cannons, sweeping across as the manned ship dove while the two droids were quickly shot down. "That's two!" She laughed as she sped passed and quickly circled around to pursue the one that had evaded here initially.

On the other side of the formation two rebel fighters had locked onto the rookie Pickle's fighter as they opened fire on him. "I got two on my 6!" He said in a frenzy as he veered right and left in a vain attempt to get them off him. "I can't shake them!" He dove low to the ground as they kept up the pursuit and we're doing their best to lock onto his craft.

"Hang on Pick. I'll save your butt." His sister Barley announced as she got behind the two fighters and prepared to fire on them, not noticing the lone droid fighter that had snuck up behind her. The droids targeting system gave it a clean shot as it prepared to launch it's missiles only to be destroyed by a royalist craft that swept in from 9 o'clock high.

"No, I'll save yours apparently." Sky Stinger announced as he swung around. "Now let's get those two off your brother."

Barley was left speechless as she hadn't even bothered to even check her radar for any threats but the ones dead in front of her. She took a small second to recompose herself before responding. "Roger that. Forming up with you." Sky took the lead and the two opened fire on the two craft in front of them and knocking them out of the fight. "Pick, you okay?"

Pickle checked his engines and the status on his consoles and saw that everything was in acceptable parameters. "Yeah, yeah, I'm okay."

"Good, then form up with us and stay close, we've still got a lot of fight left." Sky ordered as the three went back into the thick of the action.

All around, the defensive line had devolved into a mosh pit as fighters from both sides screamed around the troop and vehicle laden transports. Some rebel fighters did manage to get through to the landing transports. One or two of the droids even rammed the transports, either out of desperation, loss of control or just the onboard droid brain being unable to think fast enough to react. The majority of the ships did get through however and began to land as the fighters above kept the defense squadrons largely occupied. As they did so a torrent of blaster and rocket fire came from the rebel stronghold as they defenders and their droid troops attacked from their entrenched positions, determined to drive the enemy forces back. Royalist troops began to pour out of the dropships to the hail of fire as the larger craft dropped off the armored vehicles a short distance behind.


"Push up!" A commander shouted as the troops and tanks advanced through the withering fire from the rebels. Fluttershy and Therma leaped from one of the craft and joined the fray as the former deflected shots coming her way. Therma meanwhile had brought a heavy blaster rifle with her and returned fire with the troops around her. The Jedi quickly got her bearings and found Hisan and his special task force. "Pharaoh, are you alright?" She asked as he and his team took cover in the thick forest surrounding the large compound.

"Yes, I'm fine." He responded, though he was still a shaking a bit from being this close to the action. "Do you really think you can find a way in through all this?"

Fluttershy knelt down and placed her hand to the tree in front of her before closing her eyes. Her brow furrowed as she focused, channeling the force as it guided her sight through the trees outreaching roots. They snaked underneath the earth as they connected to other roots from the many plants around as she followed the path they led her through. They trekked beneath the battlefield and eventually led her to a neglected sewer tunnel that had long since been overrun by foliage that no one would even notice. She slowly released her grip and looked to Hisan and gave a confirming nod. "I've found a way in, follow me."

"What are we waiting for then?" Therma sounded off. "Let's..." Her words stopped as she sensed something off in the distance, through the enemy lines, seemingly beckoning her towards it. Fluttershy sensed this as well and quickly but gently gripped her arm.

"Don't, please. It's not worth it." The pink haired Jedi pleaded with her. The effort proved fruitless as Therma shot her a look that was a mix of both determination and anger before pulling away and rushing off into the battlefield. Fluttershy could only watch as she soon vanished from sight and into the thick of the fighting. The Jedi sighed in frustration but reluctantly stayed focused on the task at hand. "Follow me." As the group was making their way towards the back entrance, Fluttershy's communicator began to sound off.

"Come in. Master Fluttershy, do you read me?" The voice of Daisy sounded over the device as Fluttershy and the others took cover and she responded.

"Who is this? How did you get this channel?" The pink haired Jedi asked.

"Forgive me. My name is Daisy. I-I'm a friend of Padawan Roseluck." She hesitated in mentioning that name as she figured correctly that the Jedi may have some apprehension on hearing it. "I'm sorry but we have important information to relay and getting a message out before your attack was launched was impossible. I'm here with Rose and Adagio Dazzle."

"What?!" Fluttershy responded with excited confusion.

"They are both alright. Adagio..." Daisy handed over the communicator as the orange haired former Padawan showed up on screen.

"Master, it's-" She hesitated to speak herself. After what had happened she didn't feel worthy to be in her presence. "You are all in danger. This isn't a rescue, it's a trap! My former apprentice, Sonata and the rebel's lead scientist, a woman named Patchwork have created a powerful toxic gas and they plan to pump it miles around the rebel HQ. They have turned on them. They serve a young woman named Flurry Heart of the former House Cadenza. They plan to wipe out the bulk of both factions with the gas and take the planet. I know you have no reason to trust me, not after what I've done but I am telling the truth."

Fluttershy sat silently as the others around her stood and watched, half expecting this to be some sort of rebel trap and the other half fearful of the possibility of a chemical weapon waiting for them if they did not retreat now. Finally the Jedi spoke. "Where is this weapon? How do we stop it?"

A small smile appeared on Adagio's face as she was relieved to be given even a small amount of trust. "Thank you. There is a sub level of the base. You'll need to take a tram from there to a laboratory that houses the gas tank controls. It's also where they are keeping the queen. It's on a timer system so you'll need to hurry to deactivate it to save everyone. We'll be arriving shortly and see if we can't offer some assistance to capturing the base."

"Thank you for the help." Fluttershy said. "Despite everything, I knew that there was still good in you."

Adagio blushed slightly. "I had a good teacher in the kindness department. I hope we can talk after this is over. May the force be with you, master." She signed off as Hisan and the other troops looked ready to proceed.

Meanwhile, the battle that the group had sidestepped raged as the rebels and their droids pressed hard to push back the royalist forces as the latter advanced on their positions. Now spearheading the charge was Therma, brandishing a blaster in her left hand and her father's vibro-blade in the other. She led a large combined group of royalist troopers and their tribal clan allies that had joined the battle in charging one of the pillboxes that contained a rapid heavy blaster that threatened the advancing troops. It was one of a handful that the bombers hadn't flattened and between these surviving positions and the rocket launcher wielding anti-armor rebel troops, they were getting bogged down. Therma rushed forward and cut through two enemy troopers and blasting a droid before drawing the attention of the pillbox gunner as she tried to rush out of the line of fire. With her suitable distraction, two Zebra Clan warriors ran up to the box and lobbed two thermal detonators inside before rushing off as the explosives blasted the structure to bits.

Therma continued to fight her way through the battle lines as she and her team helped to target the rocket launchers and take them out of the equation. "Impressive." Therma stopped as she heard a woman's voice shout over the sounds of battle. She turned her head to see the Siren Sonata Dusk perched atop one of the destroyed defending vehicles as the troopers and warriors with the Celestial Night took aim. She looked noticeably different this time. She seemed to have some sort of gills on her neck which were certainly not present before, in addition to clawed hands and razor sharp teeth in her mouth as she smiled down at them.

This was stopped as the blonde haired teen stepped forward. "Keep moving, you have a war to win. She's mine." She dropped her blaster to the ground and brandished her father's blade as the other troopers around her moved on to aid in the capture of the base.

"Got to catch me first, chump." Sonata said playfully as she jumped down and raced off with her opponent quickly giving chase. The Siren proved a nimble foe as she weaved through the battlefield to avoid Therma, even managing to kill a few enemy troopers as she did using her lightsaber and claws to cut them down. She eventually hops over a wall as Therma followed, making several smaller jumps off objects of ascending heights to achieve the same feat. She touched down on the other side and looked up only to be greeted by half a dozen commando droids with Sonata smiling wickedly as the girl had fallen right into her trap. "Seems your rage has unbalanced you. That or your just really really dumb. Fire!"

The droids complied with the order and opened fire on the knight as she attempted to deflect the shots with her vibro-blade, though many of the shots hit her body and limbs. Fortunately, her armor protected her from the majority of the shots as she covered her face and charged forward. The blade managed to slice through the two droids on her left before she stabbed another through the abdomen and rushed it's body into a fourth, yanking the blade out and decapitating the other. The two final droids pulled out their blades and rushed to either side of her and attacked simultaneously, both sweeping their blades across. Therma evaded both attacks, somersaulting over the two and taking their heads off with one elegant motion before landing on the ground. The droid bodies lingered in place for a moment before collapsing, leaving a somewhat surprised Sonata alone with her foe.

"Nowhere to run monster." The blonde teen approached as she got into a combat stance. Sonata didn't say a word and baited her by flashing both a smile and the two wedding bands that adorned two fingers on her left hand. Therma rushed forward and swung a powerful overhead blow that came surprisingly quickly as Sonata blocked and stepped back before lunging forward with an awkward stab that got her opponent to move off the centerline and forcing her to the left before twisting her body in an odd fashion and leaping forward with a spiral motion. The knight fixed her feet firmly as she blocked the attack but the Siren used the block to push herself in the air and leaped over the girl before landing down behind her. Sonata swung her blade around in an attempt to take out the backs of her foes legs.

Therma counted by twisting her waist and planting her blade into the ground and blocked the sweeping attack before she spun around fully and pushed her blade up and knocking Sonata on her back. She lunged forward in a thrusting motion as Sonata did a backflip and landed on her stomach and popped up on her feet as her opponent's blade dug into the ground. The Siren lunged forward with another attack as she aimed over the hilt of the vibroblade and aimed at the head of Therma. The lightsaber was blocked as a second full blade extended from the hilt of the knight's blade, revealing it to be a dual-bladed weapon as the blonde teen pulled the weapon from the ground and swung the lower section up as Sonata leaped back but got caught on the chin as it left a large vertical gash.

The Siren gripped the new wound as her foe brandished her weapon and advanced slowly but surely. "You know, I have to say you've given me a better fight than your whole clan combined." Sonata smirked. "Especially your dear old daddy." A large smile ran across her face exposing her razor sharp shark-like teeth. An enraged Therma charged forward and opened up with her full arsenal of attacks that pushed back Sonata who evaded and rolled with many of the attacks coming her way. She shifted left and ran her lightsaber across the blonde girl's right side and causing her to stumble back, halting her offensive. Sonata then lunged forward and with one swift motion, removed Therma's left hand at the wrist.

A bloodcurdling scream was released from Therma as she dropped her weapon and fell to her knees. Sonata chuckled as she stood over her and slowly placed the blade of her saber close to her downed opponents face. "See ya." She pulled her blade back over her shoulder to deliver a full power swing that would take off the head at the shoulders. Just as she prepared to strike, Therma threw up he right hand and opened her palm revealing a built in lens that released a bright light that blinded her attacker. The flash quickly faded but it was more than enough time for her to sweep the legs of the Siren and force her to the ground, sending her lightsaber tumbling a distance away. The celestial knight apprentice jumped to her feet and picked up her weapon with her right hand as she made her way over to her disoriented opponent. Sonata finally regained her senses only to find the blonde girl preparing to deal her own killing blow and there was nothing to be done about it.

As she was about to bring down her blade, Therma's communicator sounded off. The distraction was all that Sonata needed as she kicked Therma's knee and brought her down as she scrambled to her feet and decided to retreat. The blonde got back to her feet in anger and prepared to give chase as she answered the call.

"Is anyone out there?" The caller shouted over the wideband call. "We're pinned down by droids! We are cut off from reinforcements and they're hemming us in. Can anyone give assistance? I repeat: Can anyone give assistance?"

Therma looked back to the battlefield and then to the fleeing Sonata Dusk that she was confident she could still catch if she pursued now. She bit down on her lip and clenched her fist tightly as she made her decision. "Forgive me, father." The Celestial Knight opened her com channel and raced back to join the battle. "This is Therma Knight. Give me your coordinates."

Inside the fortress, Patchwork had her droid workers as well as organic engineers scrambling to load up the fuel ships to maximum capacity with her stockpile of chemical weapon as she and Flurry Heart took notice of the encroaching army. "They'll certainly be in for a big surprise, won't they?" She said with a smile before a soft beeping emanated from her wrist device. "Someone is using the tram system. They must have breached our defenses easier than we expected."

"Should we be concerned?" Flurry asked angrily.

"Not in the slightest." The doctor reassured. "Even if they get there, there is not enough time for them to hack into the system and deactivate the countdown. All they're getting is a front row seat to their destruction. Meanwhile, we should be departing while we still have a window of opportunity. Each of the fuel ships is equipped with the nanite beam dispersion systems so no chance of getting shot down and our own vessel is equipped with a stealth field. We'll be nice and safe until we get to the fleet."

"Good, once Sonata arrives we'll..." Flurry's words ceased as the group heard several heavy thuds of metal hit the ground. They turned to see Fluttershy standing in the doorway of the room.

"Stop where you are." She ordered with her brandished blade as the engineers quickly fled the room from other exits. "This is over. Order your troop to stand down and cancel the launch."

Patchwork smiled. "Even if I wanted to, I can't. Everything here runs on a timer. These ships will launch, the gas will be released and you will die."

Fluttershy's eyes opened wide as she quickly shifted her blade to her left as two sabers connected with hers and she was tossed halfway across the room and hit the ground hard. She looked up to see her attacker; a bronze droid like creation of the doctor with clawed feet and hands and mandible like protrusions coming from either side of it's head. The being towered over her and wielded the two lightsabers that had sent her flying.

"Subject, finish her. We have a flight to catch." Patchwork ordered as she and Flurry headed toward their ship. Just as she had ordered, the monstrosity that was formerly Wallflower Blush charged at the Jedi as Fluttershy rolled backwards and got to her feet in order to engage the attacking cyborg. Wallflower charged forward and swung both blades at her target as Fluttershy used her defensive style to block and evade the shots as she is pushed back by the attack. The Jedi took a quick back-step as the cyborg swung her blades down before taking a half-step forward and with a quick motion swung her blade that slashed across her opponent's face. Normally this move would have ended the fight, but by a combination of her hesitance and the durable armor of the cyborg's body, the blow only cracks the face plate of the lumbering being.

The cyborg stumbles back and looks up to reveal that the right eye slot is gone, exposing the scared flesh underneath. Fluttershy watches as the abomination roars in anger and to the formers shock, the beings two arms separate into four thinner yet still strong arms as it displays and ignites two more lightsabers, doubling the attack power. "Oh my." Fluttershy says as the cyborg's hands begin to spin at the wrist creating four deadly windmills of fury as she begins to advance on the Jedi who slowly and cautiously backs away, preparing for a prolonged battle. The whirlwind of death continues to advance as the blades cut into the ground throwing up sparks and hot shards of metal in the Jedi's direction. Thinking quickly, the pink haired girl dashed forward and swung her blade down, interrupting the motion of the four sabers.

Wallflower locks the two upper blades with Fluttershy's as the two lower blades swing across in an attempt to bisect the young woman. Fortunately, the Jedi's reflexes saved her as she shut off her saber and dove over and under the two sets of blades as she leaped forward and between the machine's legs and reignited her blade. She is a bit disturbed as the torso of the cyborg spins 180 degrees and she continues her attack with increased fury, forcing the pace of the fight. Fluttershy is continually staggered from the power of each connected blow and is soon pressed against a wall. With nowhere left to run, she is forced to make her final stand her. The pink haired girl focused and dug her heels in for what was to come.

Patchwork's creation came down with a torrent of attacks that would have shredded even a Republic tank. This was not the end result against the young Jedi Knight as she calmly blocked and parried the incoming strikes. The lone bloodshot eye visible under the mask was wide with rage as the flurry of strikes were proving completely ineffective against this thinly framed force wielder. Amidst the numerous swings, a hand went flying, lightsaber still clutched in it as Fluttershy had managed to cut off the lower left hand, although this did not dissuade the attacks in the slightest. In quick succession, the right upper hand was removed and its lower counterpart had the lightsaber cut in half, leaving the Jedi's opponent with just one offensive weapon.

Fluttershy locked blades with the cyborg only for the latter to grip her by the neck with her other remaining hand and pinned her to the wall. The Jedi's signature weapon dropped to the ground as her opponent lifted her up, cutting off her air supply as the pink haired knight could feel her neck being crushed. "Die Jedi!" A garbled voice came from the cybernetic assassin as she drew her blade back to deliver the killing blow. Suddenly a bright pink light illuminated the area around the two, the source coming from Fluttershy's neck as her element powered up. A blast emitted from the stone that hurled the android back into a heap as the Jedi was dropped to the ground, choking to get air into her lungs but otherwise no worse for ware.

"Ugh, what...what happened?" The cyborg grumbled as the stump of her upper right hand was placed to her head. Her visible eye opened wide with shock as she looked down at her multiple sets of hands and looked to her reflection on the polished surface of a nearby container. She was horrified at seeing what had been done to her. She was an abomination, a monstrosity. Whatever had been left of her had now been taken by the doctor's sick experiments. The being that was once known to the Jedi Order as Wallflower Blush released a blood curdling scream that seemed to shake the room as she fled from a confused yet at the same time concerned Fluttershy and disappeared deeper into the facility. The battered force user decided against pursuing the poor creature and instead turned to her comlink that began to light up.

"I'm...I'm here." She managed to cough out as Hisan came on the screen.

"Master Fluttershy, are you alright?" The Pharaoh asked as she gave a confirming nod, her throat still very sore from the asphyxiation she had just suffered. "The machine has been shutdown, but..."