• Published 2nd Jul 2018
  • 2,789 Views, 47 Comments

Dream Child - ShadowStar_IMHP



The Tantabus was a magical construction. It was made for one reason to cause Luna to have nightmares every night to punish herself. Why then did it escape? What was controlling it? When Luna finds out the truth her life is turned upside down.

  • ...
5
 47
 2,789

Prolog

Prolog

Celestia's sun rose up into the sky sending it’s warming light across the land. Birds start singing and ponies rise for another day. “AGGGHHHHHH, Silver tells Celestia to turn down the sun!” Silk Sheets groaned as the sunlight shined on her face. She grabbed her blanket and covered her face hiding from the morning’s light.

“Now dear we have work to do.” The blue coated and silver-maned stallion Silver Setting said as he got out of bed noting that somehow his wife ended up with all the blankets. It wasn’t so bad after all it was in the middle of summer. The Longest day of the year in fact.

“It’s too early! A pregnant mare needs her sleep.” The pouting voice from the bundle of sheet said. He so loved his wife but there are times when she could be a bother. He went over and tugged on the blankets revealing the White coated rose red-maned mare underneath.

She rolled out of bed and made her way to the water closet. “Stupid morning...Ohhh” her grumbling halted when she stopped and sat down her hoof going to her barrel.

Silver rushed over “You alright? Do I need to get a healer?” She smiled at her loving stallion “It’s alright we got told to expect this.”

“Expect what? Morning sickness? Maybe I should tell Proper Prance that you need the day off?”

“I just felt the baby first kick silly. She seems a morning pony.” She laughed as she guided his goof to her barrel to feel the baby move. A look of joy came upon his face “He’s moving”

“He, You do know the chances of a colt is about one in five right?”

“I lucked out when a beautiful mare like you said yes.” he went to kiss her but her hoof placed on his lips stopped it. “Morning breath, brush your teeth first!”

After the morning ritual was over Silk Sheets was once more doing her duty as maid of the Princesses. Her hoof steps echoed off the walls of the castle of the two sisters. She came to the door of Princess Luna.

Confusion came to her face as she leaned in listening to the sounds of Luna talking? Who was that other voice it was so arrogant? A shiver ran down her spine as she moved away from the door. Taking a deep breath she called out. “Princess Luna? Do you need your room tended to?”

“NO, GO AWAY!” The hall seemed to vibrate with the command. “As you wish Princess.” A part of Silk wanted to enter to see who was that odd voice speaking with Luna. The rest of her wanted to run as fast as she could away.

“What is wrong with you Princess Luna?” She sighed her voice was not even heard even by her. Thinking back to the stories her grandmother told her about how Luna was so playful. The bearer of the Element of Laughter, Loyalty, and Honesty. Silk couldn’t imagine such a sad and depressed spirit could be such. The nobles avoid her whispering negative gossip about her.

Soon she came to the chambers of Princess Celestia. Silk Sheets smoothed out the fresh sheet she laid down. Her magic flared as she fluffed the pillows and done the finishing touches. Everything has to be perfect.

Then she felt a harder kick inside her swollen barrel and sat down brushing her baby bump with her hoof. “Oh... that was a strong, my little one! Be gentle with mommy.”

“MMMEEEE!” The yell was heard all around the castle as the rumbling started. Stone cracked and the sky turned dark. Silk rushed to the window seeing the moon rise up to block the sun. Beams of shadow flared out from the eclipse and she turns to run one of the black beams struck her. Crying out in pain she fell.

“SILK!” Silver Setting came rushing in and saw his wife struggling to her hooves. “oh no...” He ran over and help her to stand. “Silk are you alright?” The sounds of battle and stone falling to the ground heard in the background.

“What.. what’s going on Silver?” She asked as they both started hurrying out of the hall and for the exit of the castle.

“It’s Luna... The Princesses they are fighting. Something happened Luna all... She’s mad I tell you, totally mad.”

“I told you something was wrong with her!” She stumbled feeling a sharp pain in her midsection. Then a stone fell striking her.

“NO!!” He grabbed her in her magic and ran as fast as his hoofs could. He got outside to see Celestia fall into the main hall. The Figure of Nightmare Moon Laughing high above.

Around him, the very trees seem to twist and turn dark. He saw ponies screaming in agony as they got struck by the strange black beams. A Pegasus wings suddenly lost all its feathers and became bat-like wings as his eyes became slit like a dragon.

“HELP ME! MY WIFE...” He saw a group of guards helping other ponies.

“Over here! I’m a healer what happened.” A Mare with a white coat and soft pink mane said as she motioned to a cot.

He laid down his wife who was gasping for air “My... baby. Save... her.” Then Silk Sheet gave her last breath. Just as a blast of Rainbow light came from the Castle of the two sisters. High above the image of the Mare in the Moon appeared.

“SILK” Silver held his wife as the medic sighs seeing the damage done.

“I’m sorry... so sorry there nothing I can do.”

Silver Setting looked to the lowering moon and the image on it. “CURSE YOU LUNA! CURSE YOU TO TARTARUS!”

------------------------

“Save...her.” A mother’s last breath her last wish was heard. The Elements heard her cry. They couldn’t save the life the foal it was too young to live with the body it had. The faint glow a mere speck of a soul caught in the light of Harmony. The Element can give the soul another chance, there is more than one way to save a soul.

In the now formless shadow that was the Mare in the Moon, the spark struggled against the waves of madness. The light flickering as the power that was Nightmare Moon threatened to overwhelm it.

Then a blue sphere formed around the spark of a soul. From the darkness came a glowing from. Bluecoat dark blue mane and tail, Princess Luna. Or at least what remains of the goodness that lies inside her. The form was not of flesh and blood but of spirit. Magic manifested.

She settled down beside the orb of her magic sheltering the soul even more from the madness of her own darker side. A mother’s cry has been answered the soul saved.

Luna started singing to the young soul. “Hush now, Quit now. Rest your sleepy head.” Her voice soft a mere whisper in the sea of madness. Together the two souls waited for a thousand years.

When next the Elements felt the soul they couldn’t give it a new body. The Soul was still too weak for life. It needed to be protected to grow, it needed a mother.

Luna restored and she took her first breath in a thousand years never knowing that within her was the second spark of life. Her magic will still protect the soul letting it grow.

Author's Note:

I like to thank Sanguine Eyes for proofreading and edits. I'm sure we missed some mistakes so if you see any send me a message and I will fix it asap.

I love the stories of Luna adopting a foal. However, there is one thing that bothered me about them. She makes the choice instantly with the sudden expression of motherly love. I wanted to write a story where she doubts herself. After all, she was Nightmare Moon and the show did express her Guilt over her past very heavily. Feeling such guilt she would be afraid to take care of a foal. I wanted to touch on that. Adopting a child even normally is a major step.