• Published 5th Sep 2012
  • 495 Views, 9 Comments

The Adventures of Zann: Zann in Equestria - ZannTheSword



Zann finds himself in a post apocalyptic ponyverse finding inspiration for his new novel

  • ...
 9
 495

Chapter 2: A Dragon Named Spike


Chapter 2
A Dragon Named Spike

Written by Branden W. Vanscoy A.K.A Zann

Zann never allowed himself to be off guard, but there is rarely a moment where a person shouldn’t be afraid of a blood drenched dragon. He felt his heart leap out of his chest in brief anxiety. The last dragon he’d fought nearly ripped his arm off with a darn sneeze. He immediately shot off the ground forgetting that the rock face was above him and slammed his head extremely hard. After putting on a brave face for a tearful moment he felt the lump grow on his head. “AHHHHHH!” He exclaimed with a sudden burst of passion with his knee’s buckling and his arms reaching up to rub his imaginary fingers on the lump. He had forgotten about the approaching dragon, and was now rolling around on the ground in sheer agony.

“H-help”, the dragon’s whispering voice could barely be heard over Zann’s childish cries of pain, but help is a word he does not ignore. He looked up at the incoming dragon and saw that most of the blood wasn’t the horses. They were drenched in the gooey substance despite the rain. The blood was hours old and would need to be treated right away. He reached into his bag of tricks forgetting that he did not have his infinity orb and could not switch one of his abilities to a healing ability. The dragon gingerly laid the horse down on the cold stone nearest to the fire, and with buckling knee’s stood up straight.”You’re an alicorn? N-nhg”, he reached up to his head where most of the blood must have been coming from and cringed,” Whatever side you’re on heal him or deal with me.” The young dragons glare and flat tone would have been enough to make anyone other than Zann fearful.

“Want him gift wrapped afterward?” Zann chuckled but the dragon’s glare was very intense and stopped him in his tracks. “I can try, but I don’t have my healing powers on me so I’ll have to whip up a solvent to stop the bleeding.

“What kind of alicorn just loses his magic?” the dragon’s right knee buckled and the wolf ran over and stabilized it. Zann had never seen a wolf and dragon ever be friendly to each other before. He pressed on his beautiful world talent to make plants grow around them and picked the ones he needed. The dragon if not for his injuries might have leapt in surprise at the sight of the plants.

“What kind of dragon is a friend to horses and wolves? I don’t even know what an alicorn is anyway.” He crushed the plants into a stone dip near him into a fine powder, maintaining eye contact with the dragon at all times.

“I’m the kind of dragon… I see your point though.” He finally fell backwards to the ground breathing heavy semi using the wolf as a pillow. “How do you not know what you are and that he’s a pony not a horse, a Pegasus specifically. “ He tried to lift himself back up to no avail. Zann began to mix in rain water to the powder making a paste like substance.

“Here take this” Zann threw the paste at the dragon who caught it with extreme duress. “Put it on your cuts so you don’t die of blood loss.”

“I told you to heal him not me!” The dragon gritted his teeth with a painful sound.

“As far as I can see your friends going to be fine, he’s just knocked out you’re the one who’s almost dead.” Zann began to whip up more while watching the dragon intently. “Now put it on, doctor’s orders I’m making more as it is he’ll be fine.” The dragon without hesitation slapped the salve on his friend’s wounds, aching and shaking all the while.

“Every second counts doctor…” He leaned back on the grass letting the rain pour down on him. Zann let him break one of his rules and used his beautiful world talent to grow trees nearby that covered the camp so that rain wouldn’t fall on the dragon.

“My name is Zann, what is yours” he threw the mixture at the dragon allowing it to land on his chest. He rubbed it into his wounds eagerly.

“Wow this actually feels really good, umm Zann, and I feel so much better already. The name is Spike, the Pegasus is Bolt, and the wolf is Johnny it’s nice to meet you.” Spike rolled over to Zann letting him shake hoof to claw joyfully.

“I wonder if this change in attitude is a side effect of the mix” They both laughed. “It’s nice to meet you too Spike. If I may ask, how did you boys get so roughed up, was it a bad boy’s night out?” Zann chuckled but spike did not.

“You really are clueless aren’t you? First you don’t know what you are and now you don’t know about the war.”

“I’m not from around here” Zann’s smile was simple and elegant, and begged Spike to tell him a story.

“Not from around here, huh? Well considering here is this entire planet I’ll just have to think you’re some kind of alien or something.” Spike snickered

“Or something”, Zann crossed his hind legs and clasped his hooves together in anticipation.

“I suppose I’ll just have to indulge you since your helping me aren’t I?” Spike pushed himself against a tree.

“Oh yes very much so”

“Straight forward, yet mocking” Spike smiled shaking his head back and forth, “I like that. An alicorn is what you are, a very powerful pony with both a horn albeit yours is shaved down and with those big wings you have. What makes alicorns great, I have no foggy clue, but they are darn strong.”

“Sounds like me” They both chuckled once again.

“You’re nothing like the princess though. Celestia rest her soul, was the most powerful one I knew until…” Spike’s hand began to shake before he clenched it tight against his chest. “The Nightmare Moon came to be on a dark night seven years ago, she was left unchecked and gained the power of discord through some sort of binding spell. Not very many people know the details, but she used her new power to turn Celestia’s student against her. There was only the sound of Celestia’s surprised scream, and then… she was just gone…”

“Don’t blame yourself Spike, I’m sure you did all that you could.” Zann reached out and touched his arm, with his ever so comforting gaze bearing done upon him.

“H-how did you… I was there and I couldn’t do anything to stop it. Nobody but me and Johnny knew about that.” The fire crackled in the sudden silence, after a few moments Spike continued. “I’m sorry I get really depressed when talking about this sort of thing. I used to be like you just all smiles and laughs, but things happen in life that you can’t change… no matter how hard you try.”

“So this war has been going on for seven years and your one of the good guys, what’s your plan to end it?” Zann’s brow arched up in question.

“No plans, just survive for as long as possible, and hope that someone out there finds a way to stop a rampaging alicorn.” Spike closed his eyes.

“That’s no way to win a war, you have to fight hard and find it out for yourself, I can help you”

“I hope you can Zann, but it’s just hard for me to see a happy future here since they took what’s most precious to me. They took my Rarity”