• Published 5th Sep 2012
  • 495 Views, 9 Comments

The Adventures of Zann: Zann in Equestria - ZannTheSword



Zann finds himself in a post apocalyptic ponyverse finding inspiration for his new novel

  • ...
 9
 495

Prologue: Departure


The Adventures of Zann: Zann in Equestria


Written by Branden W. Vanscoy A.K.A Zann



If you want to get straight to the story then you can skip this paragraph :P. First I would like to thank nsko/hlissner for making the Equestria and beyond map (at least I assume they made it). The map really helped my endeavors. Second this is not only a fanfic of MLP but also of Haven Rebirth(I know I’m writing a fanfic of my own story OMG, but I used to do it all the time, and have no problem with it and you shouldn’t either. Not the first Zann adventure and not going to be the last, ENJOY!)





Prologue: Departure





Zann stared into the dark clouds hovering overhead sniffing the smell of rain that already drenched the air. He smiled, closing his eyes and enjoying the lavish scent. The fields around him were empty except for the random dispersal of lemon trees and blueberry bushes. The hilltop on which he stood looked over them all and allowed him to enjoy the setting sun. He had not been on this world for more than a month, but was ready to leave; but before he would, he had to soak everything in just as he did on every world. Zann never knew what the next world would be like, and that’s the way he preferred it to be. Someone he loved had once told him, “It’s the little surprises that make life worth living.”, and well, young though he may look, he had been living for quite some time, and those little things were what kept him moving in the morning. He had had many surprises both big and small, but he didn’t know that a colorful one waited for him just around the corner. He had knowledge of many things, could speak over 700 languages, and spoke each with such charisma and grace that most were convinced he was a saint. All the knowledge and charm Zann had though could not have prepared him for the next world he would encounter. Equestria was its name and a young world it was. Equestria, a curious name nonetheless but I digress, the truth is it is a mere copy of its original world, different in many ways. The Haven Gate had made copies of the worlds on several occasions, most of which were merely alternate timelines of the world. This copy was different; it stood among a fallen kingdom with six heroes in hiding. They wait for a hope that may never come. The hellish fiend that had taken over most of their world left the heroes running in every direction; none of which knew that they would one day save their world. Zann did not know their names, their origins, or even watch the fictionalized version of their original world called “My Little Pony” that ran on the little planet called earth. Once again, I have spoken too much; this is not a story about those heroes, but the story of the man, or pony that united them all.

Zann had soaked in this world and would now never forget his time on this planet, the people he helped, and the friends he made along the way. He was sure one day they would forget him, just as he assumed everyone one day would forget him. In his home universe his name was on the tongue of every boy and girl, but he didn’t like to make huge impacts on the worlds he visited. He did not understand how wonderfully unforgettable he was to everyone he had met. The man Daodrith would attest for that, but he is a story for another day. Zann watched as the sun finally sank beneath the horizon, and the glow of the Haven Gate began to shine, below his feet deep underground was where the light sprang forth, a light only Zann could see. The Scar on his face glowed with the same incandescent blue as he sank below the earth into the cavern that housed the gate. When the world is ready to use the gate the cavern would open, but for now only he could use the gate. The Gate was magnanimous as always, with magic symbols coming in and out of sight throughout the cavern. He approached the gate letting it swing open like friends that were welcoming him into their home.

The gate whispered into Zann’s mind,” Welcome back Zann, your time here was short. Are you sure you have finished with this world?” As always the voice of the gate was the same as his brother Kai, who died long ago after creating the gate. Zann liked to imagine it was his brother from time to time. Though the gate had Kai’s mind and sharp wit, it was still basically a giant computer and would never have the soul his brother had. The voice made him remember his family, which he liked. That in turn reminded Zann of his friends who although inmortal like himself, have all changed from who they used to be. He missed the world he used to be a part of, but that world like this one, was no longer for him.

“Yes, it is time to move on my friend.” Zann smiled a toothy grin and touched the handle of the gate as if he was shaking an old friend’s hand. He walked through the already opened gate into the white room, whose doors were never the same, but the north door was always... home. Zann stared at the door with the title HAVEN for a few moments believing that one quick peek through the door would be enough, but he would be wrong. If Zann looked through that door, he would have to stay, he longed to stay, or even to roll the door, which changed the time he would arrive, to when he was young. He couldn’t, he made a promise, and a promise must always be kept. Zann looked around for another door, and one stood out. The door was made of clouds and had rainbows coloring it in random places. Zann found it adorable ofcourse and looked for the title. It had none, no title, no description, nothing. Zann thought to himself that maybe the door itself was the title, maybe… Cloudsdale? The only thing to do would be go through it and ofcourse hope that it’s not rapid cannibal land, because that would be ironic. The door would be locked if Zann tried to open it, but Zann knew better.

He placed his palm on the door and the voice spoke to Zann once again, ”This door leads to somewhere you have not been to Zann. Are you sure you want to go?” The white room around him had all but vanished as the clouds and rainbows leapt off the door and surrounded him. Zann had always loved the sky, and flying was no new thing for him, but it was still disorienting to be standing in the air without any effort.

“Yes my friend, as long as it is okay with you.” Zann did not know why, but he would always tear up during this part although his smile never faded. He wiped the tear away and closed his eyes to the beautiful sky around him that would only fuel those same tears.

“Anything you decide Zann. I am not your master, I tell you this often, but you never listen.” Zann could almost hear the non-existent chuckle of the gate, and imagined his brother crossing his arms shaking his head with a smile.

“We are equals, are we not? I merely value your opinion”, Zann laughed in turn reopening his eyes. The door was now further away than before. Zann sometimes thought the gate did not want him to leave.

“Then go through you old fool”, Then Zann knew the gate had to be smiling, for his brother used to say the same to him, and always smiled when doing so. Zann walked to the door as the clouds spun beautifully around him. The door slowly opened as he approached.

Zann stopped at the door holding its handle, ”Goodbye my friend, if this is the last I see you, know that you will always be in my heart.” Zann felt the door silently shudder.

“Goodbye Zann…” Zann walked through the door disappearing in a bright light. “Goodbye my brother…” the Gate whispered to no one