• Published 30th Jun 2018
  • 3,911 Views, 169 Comments

Alternate Beginnings: Year Three - Doug Graves



The third year since Doug's arrival in Equestria and the mares of Herd Apple are going strong, helping Princess Celestia and Princess Cadance with a problem of their own. But, is there any help for their own foals?

  • ...
13
 169
 3,911

3 Cottage

February 12th, 995 DS

The snow crunches between Doug's toes as he jogs towards Fluttershy's cottage. Ever since Applejack challenged him to keep the house colder and 'deal with it' he has been trying to acclimate himself to the elements. So far, he thinks as he grimaces, his numb feet will need attention as soon as he gets to his destination. Hopefully the mare has a fire going; at least the temperature is just below freezing, and he won't need to worry about frostbite. Yet.

'Foal steps' he mutters as he slowly down, wincing as he breathes in the warmer air outside her cottage; maybe on the return trip he will take off his gloves instead, or maybe the hat. His coat was the first thing he stopped wearing, though he still carries it in case he needs to stop or something happens. Same with his boots, at least for this trip.

He knocks twice on the door before pushing it open, Fluttershy stirring a large pot of broth in the kitchen. She perks up when she sees him, giving a quick wave before settling back on four hooves. She tests the contents before moving to the counter, picking up a tray of assorted vegetables and dumping them into the pot. She stirs a few more times as Doug removes his hat and gloves, setting his winter gear in the corner before moving over and warming his feet by the fire.

The two sit, enjoying the silence as Fluttershy continues preparing their next meal. After she takes a few spices and adds them to the pot Doug asks, "So, you keeping busy around here?"

Fluttershy nods, "I've been working on some of the larger habitats. Making a nice wood framework that we can build and then cover with dirt."

Doug smiles, "That sounds like a great idea; make a nice interior, less chance of them collapsing?"

Fluttershy tastes the soup, "Yep! And it's nice to do something with your hooves, you know? It can get a little boring with only a few animal friends around. Applejack's is nice, but I want to do more around here."

Doug looks around Fluttershy's cottage; there are three rooms downstairs, the main sitting area combines her kitchen and dining room; another room off to the side, with a few lounging chairs and tables, and a bathroom. Both have various birdhouses, dens, and bookcases where animals are free to come and go, though the mouse holes in the wall give Doug pause. The stairs lead to the single bedroom, again sparsely decorated except for the animal habitats. He asks, "So, what do you want to do with the place?"

Fluttershy pauses, looking down at her hooves, "Oh. Um, I... don't really know."

Doug nods along, looking at the bare floors and walls, "It could use a little decorating, I suppose. What kinds of patterns are you looking for? Or are you preparing for a new arrival?" He winks at Fluttershy, the mare sighing.

"Well, as I said before, I don't think I'll be foaling this year, or I suppose it would be next year. Not this coming heat. I've been thinking a little about it, what I want to do when it happens." Fluttershy pauses, looking around the room at the various habitats, the stairs leading to tiny houses, the oven sitting open to the room. "I... I don't know if I want the foal to stay here. It can get pretty crowded, with me and, well, all the animals I've opened my house to. Not that I think that they would do anything to the foal, or that the foal would do anything to them, I just..."

Fluttershy sighs, lowering herself to her hooves and hiding behind her mane. Doug sits down next to her, petting her back and lightly pulling her towards himself. Fluttershy looks over, trying to smile at him as she says, "You really like holding us, don't you?" Doug nods, stroking her face before she sighs, closing her eyes and settling down in his lap. She happily sighs as his hands rub at her back a little stronger, smiling as she says, "I don't want her, my foal, to grow up all alone in here. I got this place because I like being with the animals, and it is a perfect location for that. I never thought that there would be a stallion in my life; I thought I was going to grow old, watching the animals as they grow their little families." Fluttershy sighs again, tears running from her closed eyes, "Maybe Rainbow would set me up with some pegasus she knows on the weather patrol." She laughs to herself, "I guess she did, in a way. But a foal needs to be around more than just animals. She needs a herd, she needs more ponies that will be there to play with and show her that she is loved. Especially if the foal we have has the same difficulties as Rainbow's."

Doug nods, "I don't think Applejack will have any problem housing your foals, just like we house Rainbow and Scootaloo. You are more than welcome to stay over more often, you know."

Fluttershy slowly shakes her head, "Yes, well, I feel like I'm intruding when it's somepony else's turn with you that night or morning."

Doug gives Fluttershy a squeeze, "Oh, Fluttershy, you're never unwanted. I think some of them even try a little harder when they know somepony is watching." She opens her eyes, looking up at him as he winks at her.

She shudders at the thought, sighing, "Oh, not me, I can barely get up the courage to be with you when it's just the two of us, never mind when somepony like Rainbow wants to 'help' with the action."

Doug sighs, "Yes, she can be a little adventurous. You know we don't want to make you uncomfortable, and to be honest, I really have no idea what this sort of herd thing is 'supposed' to be like, you know? I think it's supposed to be whatever each of us wants, and if you want to be alone, then, I think the others will be disappointed but they'll accept it."

Fluttershy shakes her head, "I don't want to be alone, I just... I'm just afraid that they won't like me, that they won't want to be with me."

Doug shakes his head as he stands up, holding Fluttershy in his arms as he moves over to the pot of soup. He rubs her mane, gently setting her down before he pulls the lid off the pot, grabbing two bowls and filling them with vegetables. Fluttershy gets two glasses of juice as he takes a sip of the broth, breathing out and holding his tongue out at the heat. Fluttershy giggles, taking a sniff of the broth before moving to her counter, grabbing a dash of salt and adding it to her bowl.

Doug looks over to the pegasus, blowing on his bowl before saying, "Fluttershy, you know the others like and care about you."

Fluttershy hides behind her mane as she quietly says, "Well, they could..." before she becomes too quiet to hear.

Doug stares at Fluttershy, taking a spoonful of broth and blowing on it. Fluttershy peeks an eye out, seeing Doug staring at her and immediately hides behind her mane again, whimpering. Doug sighs, taking the spoon into his mouth and swishing the broth around, making strangled, 'Mmph! Mmph!' noises as he tries to spread the heat around.

Fluttershy looks from behind her mane, concern in her eyes as she asks, "Doug? Are you all right?" She moves a hoof over, placing it on Doug's leg as his face turns red.

Doug nods, swallowing before panting, his tongue hanging out of his open mouth. He takes a sip of his juice before saying, "Mm, still a little too hot. Thanks, 'Shy, for looking out for me."

Fluttershy smiles, "Oh, you're welcome." She settles back down before frowning at him, "You did that on purpose."

Doug shrugs, a smile on his face, "You got me."

Fluttershy sighs, looking away from Doug, "Fine. Be like Dash, she's your favorite anyway."

Doug sighs, looking down at his hands. "What do you want, Fluttershy?"

Fluttershy says in a soft voice, "I want the others to appreciate me." Doug sets his bowl off to the side, gathering the mare in his arms. He holds her tightly against him as she continues, a tear in her eye, "Doug, I want to help, I want the others to tell me I do a good job, but I'm scared. I don't make a lot of money, I haven't given you a foal, not yet, and I don't know what to do about it. I stay here all alone and I worry that you and the others don't want me around, because I don't come along on your trips with Rarity, I don't work with you like Rainbow and Applejack. Pinkie Pie is always over at the house, helping with the foals, and she's going to have one with you."

Fluttershy turns her head, resting her wet eyes against Doug's chest as she breathes heavily. Doug rubs her barrel, watching it go up and down as she lays in his arms, before saying, "Fluttershy, each of the mares in this herd love and care about you. They want to be more involved but, like you, they don't really know what they can do with you, activities that they would enjoy doing with you." Fluttershy nods into his chest as he continues, "What kind of things do you like doing?"

Fluttershy looks up at Doug, slowly breathing out. She takes another breath before saying, "Well, I like animals."

Doug nods, "I think they like animals, too. Have you thought about introducing them to a pet, a companion?"

Fluttershy quiets down, contemplating for a moment before saying, "No, I haven't. What kind of animal do you think they would want as a friend?"

Doug shrugs, "That sounds like a great conversation that you can have with each of them, something for you to do together, with them, something that they can appreciate and let you know how much they appreciate it. Now, let's finish this delicious soup and start work on some of those burrows, hmm?"

Fluttershy nods, getting out of Doug's lap and moving over to her soup, starting to lap up the broth. She quickly finishes her portion, going to one of the windows and looking outside. The wood she has is still out there, but it and the ground are covered in snow. She turns back to Doug, saying, "Once you are finished, if you can bring the wood inside, to the side room. We'll have to leave the finished burrows in here, otherwise the snow won't be cleared in a few days."

Doug nods, finishing his meal before grabbing his boots and gloves. He leaves the door open, Fluttershy following him outside. The two pick up a few of the planks, Fluttershy mostly helping guide the long pieces of wood into the house. The shorter pieces are carried by Fluttershy as Doug takes some of the wider side pieces. He looks over at the assembled pieces, saying, "This is, like, a small house that we are building. How are we getting it outside, through the door?"

Fluttershy puts a hoof to her chin, "Um. Well." She gives a shy smile, "Maybe we should build it outside? But then it'll get snow all over, and it'll be cold."

Doug shrugs, "Well, good thing I brought my coat. Let's go over the plans for this structure, take all this wood back outside, and then start work on it. Who's the house for, anyway?"

Fluttershy says, "That sounds good. It'll be a house for my friend Harry. He's a bear, I met him last fall, and he's thinking about moving here. He wouldn't have a place to stay, so we're going to help build him something out near the Everfree."

Doug nods, finishing his look over the blueprints. He gathers his coat and boots, putting them on before finding the hammer, nails, and other tools they would need to build the house. He remarks to Fluttershy, "Good thing we can just have Applejack and Big Mac drag the house to where we need it, right?" as he puts on his gloves and hat.

Fluttershy nods, the two of them moving the wood outside and setting up the frame. The two start working on nailing some of the boards together as Fluttershy thinks through the animals she has available now. It might be doable, or maybe she should wait until spring, so that all of the animals will have a chance.