• Published 30th Jun 2018
  • 3,911 Views, 169 Comments

Alternate Beginnings: Year Three - Doug Graves



The third year since Doug's arrival in Equestria and the mares of Herd Apple are going strong, helping Princess Celestia and Princess Cadance with a problem of their own. But, is there any help for their own foals?

  • ...
13
 169
 3,911

1 A New Year

January 1st, 995 Domina Solaria

The clock in Ponyville can barely be heard, the strike of midnight faintly echoing among the apple trees. The sky is completely clear of clouds, every star visible as they twinkle among the void. The moon, with its rocky depiction of Luna, seems to hover in the center of the vast expanse. It shines brightly, illuminating the land of Equestria almost as well as Celestia's daytime sun.

The mares of Herd Apple are currently snuggling with their 'stallion', the human known as Doug, or more formally, Doug Graves Apple. He is laying on his back on several thick blankets spread out on the snowy roof of the farmhouse at Sweet Apple Acres, the herd's main base of operations. His lead mare, Applejack, is laying on her back at his right side, enjoying the coveted ministrations of his right hand behind her ears. The earth pony's ear flicks as she looks up at the sky, enraptured as Princess Celestia begins her show. His second mare, Rarity, is on his left, though she appears to be napping while his arm rests across her mane. He strokes her carefully styled curls, the unicorn slowly stirring as she wakes. She snuggles closer into his side, slowly opening her azure eyes and looking at him. They share a quick smile before Rarity turns her face upwards, watching the celestial performance.

Nestled between his legs, careful not to crush anything, is the third mare of Herd Apple, Rainbow Dash. The pegasus has her forelegs up in the air, waving them back and forth as she mimes directing the light show above. Her wings, folded against her body, occasionally try to poof out to her sides during the more spectacular portions, but Doug's legs are in the way. She glances up at her stallion, giving Doug an apologetic smile before returning to her pantomime, appending a few extra explosions she knows will be added to the show next year, once she is able to give Princess Celestia her recommendations.

Quietly laying next to his right leg is Fluttershy, the fourth mare in Herd Apple. The pegasus is watching the performance, mesmerized by the twinkling stars. Pinkie Pie, his fifth and final mare, is seated on his left. While her eyes are glued to the stars as they flit back and forth, her hooves are otherwise occupied. She seems to be assembling a large noisemaker, or possibly the payload for her party cannon, and the earth pony whispers over to Rainbow Dash, "Hey, next year, think we can borrow a few of those fireworks your parents have? Then we could really spice this up!"

Rarity interjects, "Shh! You two, some of us are trying to enjoy this! Quiet!"

Rainbow rolls her eyes but keeps her mouth shut, continuing to direct the stars with the absence of extra bursts of sound. Pinkie Pie gives a loud 'harrumph' but quiets down. She starts to perk back up again, raising her head and looking back as Rarity responds with a loud 'Shh!' The earth pony sighs, putting away the monstrosity she had been working on and rolling onto her back.

Fluttershy glances over to the three foals laying next to her, each lightly snoring. Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo are each bundled up in a blanket, their coats not quite thick enough to keep the cold winter air away. The three foals, nearly a year old, had insisted that they wanted to stay up and watch the show with their dams, Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash respectively. Nopony wanted to deny them the chance, but neither are they going to wake the likely cranky bundles of energy when it takes so much work to get them to sleep in the first place. Satisfied the foals are comfortable and still asleep, Fluttershy returns to her spot, watching the finale.

In the sky, the moon slowly fades as the stars align themselves, row upon row of circles surrounding the moon. They slowly wave back and forth, shapes appearing and fading as the points of light ripple in the sky. Gradually the moon brightens before the stars flash, bursting away from the moon in a cacophony of motion. Dozens of shapes appear, distinct clusters of one or three or four objects that flicker before transforming into another. This continues for several minutes before Doug whispers, "What are those?"

Rarity responds in a hushed voice, "Those are the cutie marks of everypony who fell or was injured during the fight between Princess Celestia and Nightmare Moon." Doug nods as the stars stop flickering, retaining a dull glow as they form into the last shape, a color inversion of Princess Luna's cutie mark. The moon shines brightly, as if taking a bite out of a black void. The circle of black is surrounded by stars, some making little islands as the shape expands, the stars slowly spreading apart, glowing brighter to make up for the increased distance.

Applejack moves her head to the side, leaving Doug's fingers behind as she shares a long kiss with her stallion. She breaks away, smiling at Doug and moving to the side. Rarity approaches next, her delicate kiss leaving behind a hint of lavender. She moves to the side as Rainbow Dash spins to her hooves, placing one on each side of his hips. She tickles his stomach with her muzzle before slowly makes her way up Doug's chest, kissing him on the lips as she lowers her hind legs, resting her body along his stomach.

Rarity and Applejack suppress a laugh as Fluttershy moves up Doug's side, saying in a quiet voice, "Um, excuse me, Rainbow Dash, but some of us are still waiting." Rainbow breaks away, doing her best to exaggerate a frown at Doug. She turns her head, trying to keep the frown going as she looks at Fluttershy, but the yellow mare does a much better job at keeping a straight face.

Rainbow bursts out laughing first, leaping into the air and moving over, giving Fluttershy a quick nuzzle, "You keep working on that, you little kidder, you."

Fluttershy stammers, hiding behind her mane and saying, "Oh, um, I mean, if you want to keep going, then-" before Pinkie Pie starts pushing her backside.

Pinkie Pie says, "Hey, make with the kissing already!" as a startled Fluttershy finds herself face to face with Doug. He smiles up, guiding her towards him before sharing a quick kiss. Fluttershy smiles back at him and gently pulls her head away; Doug releases her, and she moves away just in time before Pinkie leaps over, slobbering over Doug's face as she kisses him. Doug tries to move back and forth to catch Pinkie in a kiss but the mare evades him, planting kisses everywhere but his mouth.

Applejack comes to Doug's rescue, putting a hoof on Pinkie's back and saying, "Alright, Pinkie Pie, that's enough. We need to head on inside, y'all can continue in there." A disappointed Pinkie Pie frowns, her eyes moving towards Applejack just as Doug succeeds in kissing her mouth.

Pinkie Pie frowns, "Hey! I was distracted, no fair!" as Doug ruffles her mane. He pulls out a cupcake, taking a bite before getting up and gathering the blankets. Rainbow Dash and Rarity take their foals and exit the roof, Rainbow by flying off with Scootaloo nestled on her back and Rarity by carefully making her way down the ladder, Sweetie Belle levitating next to her. Applejack follows down the ladder as Fluttershy slowly flutters down, Apple Bloom held in her hooves. Fluttershy passes Apple Bloom back to Applejack as Rainbow opens the door, holding it open for everypony. The snow crunches under his bare feet as Doug comes down last, shaking the blankets off once he is safely on the ground.

He turns, looking again at the night sky. This will be his third year in Equestria, the actual anniversary falling around the time spring begins, and like both years previous it looks to be a busy one. His job as weather scheduler, where he figures out what the various towns and cities need as far as rain, sun, and clouds, and then writes the instructions for the weather ponies. His assistance to Applejack with repairing their equipment or working in the fields. He might be needed more this year to help with the harvest than the previous, as Applejack is spending a lot of time instructing Apple Bloom with her magic.

Both Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo continue to have difficulties with their magic as well. Sweetie Belle is working on levitation, the foal able to move around small objects but with occasional unpredictable results. Scootaloo is working on mastering standing on clouds, to be able to keep on top of one while sleeping, but is still unable to manipulate clouds beyond that; she can barely slow her descent with her wings and magic.

Rainbow Dash is waiting for Doug at the doorway, Scootaloo no longer nestled between her wings. The mare glances back inside before she smiles up at him as he walks inside, nuzzling into his hand as he rubs her head. He tosses the blankets off to the side before picking her up, squeezing her tightly and slowly walking to the master bed. He sets her down on the bed as the rest of the mares file into the room.

Doug lays down on the bed, resting his arms behind his head as Rainbow climbs on top of him. He smiles at each of them as they move onto the bed, taking positions around him. He rolls his eyes as each mare raises their hoof; he sighs, asking his question that had been forming on his lips, "Alright, who wants to be first?" and smiling as each mare cuddles next to him.