• Published 30th Jul 2012
  • 2,335 Views, 118 Comments

I'm in Love with the Mailmare - brycewhalen



Golden Scale wants to start a new, simple life in Ponyville, but falling in love with the mail woman makes it rather difficult. Humanized Equestria.

  • ...
14
 118
 2,335

Chapter 6

It’s been a week since the robbery attempt and Princess Celestia gave me my job back. Everyone except for the few people that are roaming the streets are inside their homes for the dragon migration. I, on the other hand, am on the roof of the town hall to get the best view.

I have always been amazed by dragons. I wish I could breathe fire, fly, and be a reptile. My name would still fit me perfectly. I studied dragons when I was in Canterlot. I learned that although some dragons do eat humans, most stick to a diet of gems and different animals. I really hope no human-eating dragons swoop by though.

So here I sat, staring at the open blue sky with Ditzy by my side. I begged her not to come with me, but she gave me the most adorable cross-eyed puppy dog pout in the history of forever. No one could say no to that.

I looked at the sun’s position in the sky to get an estimate of what time it was. “It’s around one o’clock. The dragons should be arriving soon.”

Ditzy got excited. “I can’t wait. I’ve never seen a dragon before. Well, not a full grown one. My friend, Twilight, has a baby dragon named ‘Spike’. He‘s tiny.” She stared down at the people in the street. “Hey, there she is now. Hey! Twilight!”

She began waving her arms frantically to get the attention of the purple haired girl wearing a camouflaged helmet, who was walking down the street with a familiar cotton-candy haired girl. The purple haired girl, who I assume is Twilight, turned, looking for the voice calling her name.

“Up here!” Twilight looked up and saw Ditzy flailing her arm in the air.

“Ditzy, what are you doing up there!?” Twilight called out.

“I’m going to watch the dragon migration!”

“Isn’t that dangerous to do it up there?!”

“I’m sure my boyfriend can handle it!” My face was now an apple. That was the first time Ditzy called me her boyfriend. It was actually kind of embarrassing but it made me happy all the same.

Twilight and Pinkie have been eyeing for some time. I was too distracted from being called Ditzy’s boyfriend to realize I was supposed to introduce myself.

“H- Hello!” I began. “M- My name is G- Golden Scale!” My face was still red. Even from all the way down there, I’m sure they noticed.

“Nice to meet you!” Twilight replied. “My name is Twilight Sparkle!”

“HI SCALES!!!” Pinkie Pie screamed, waving her arms haphazardly in the air. It was almost a screech.

I waved back. “Hi, Pinkie!” Twilight Sparkle… that sounds familiar. “Excuse me Miss Sparkle, you wouldn’t by chance be related to Shining Armor, would you!?”

Her face went quizzical. “How do you know my brother!?”

I smiled as my assumption turned out to be correct. “I used to serve under him! He’s a great man!” Oh and he was. He was captain of the Royal Guard for crying out loud. Shining Armor talked almost nonstop about his adorable little sister, Twilight Sparkle. It was nice to finally meet her. “Sorry for holding you! It was a pleasure meeting you!”

“Same to you! Bye Ditzy!” Twilight waved to us.

“BYE SCALES!!! BYE DITZY!!!” Pinkie Pie screamed at us, again waving like a maniac.

Ditzy and I began to wave them off, my arm moving back and forth at a safe speed. “Bye!” Ditzy shouted.

Twilight seemed to notice something behind us and took off with Pinkie toward the field outside town. I turned around to see a parade of winged reptiles heading our way. Nudging Ditzy, I pointed in the direction of the dragons. We both became anxious.

The only real time I saw a dragon was when one started terrorizing one of the villages near Canterlot. I didn’t get to study it at all though… because I had to kill it. With stabs. To the chest. With Equality. My sword. It was gruesome.

I took out my telescope to get a better view of the incoming reptiles. And what a view it was. There were at least two hundred dragons flying in this direction of so many different shapes, sizes, and colors. I handed the telescope to Ditzy so she could see the breathtaking sight as well. Her jaw dropped. “Look at all of the dragons!” she exclaimed with amazement. “There has to be, like,…” She began counting her fingers. “Well, more than ten.” I give a giggle.

Oh, how majestic these creatures be. ‘Tis but a gift from the gods that one would be able to lay thine eyes on such a sight.

Within minutes, the shadows of dragons zoomed by. Ditzy and I lay next to each other, enjoying the thrice in a life time opportunity. Strange how even though a dragon could get hungry at any moment and swoop down and eat us, this was calming. Serene, even. Lying next to the girl I love, under the sky with those beautiful creatures overhead, I begin to nod off, wishing this pacific scene would never end.

I was almost asleep when I heard the wail of a dragon. I bolted up, pinpointing the direction of the sound. I put the telescope to my eye and searched for the source.

“What was that?” Ditzy said in a fright. The screech seemed to have come from a (I think fully grown) red dragon, being swarmed by smaller, I assumed teenaged, dragons. The teenaged dragons were clawing the older one and breathing fire at it.

“It looks like a fight.” I continued to examine it. “Except, one isn’t fighting back.”

I saw a heavy looking teenage dragon body slam the red one, causing it to spiral towards the earth. Based on its trajectory, I concluded that it was heading towards the field that Twilight and Pinkie had rushed off to. I grabbed Ditzy by the shoulders and looked her in the eyes. “Ditzy, I need you to make sure nobody heads towards the field. You got that?”

She gave me a salute. “Aye, aye, Captain.”

By the gods, that’s cute.

With that, a magical field enveloped me in its glow. Next thing I knew I was standing in the middle of the field, the descending dragon headed this way. I searched frantically for Pinkie and Twilight.

“Pinkie! Where are you!?” I screamed, hoping them to be close enough to hear.

“HI SCALES!!!” I heard Pinkie’s unmistakable screech-scream. I turned around to find her waving her arms at me from a ditch in the ground. I looked at the incoming dragon again. Estimated time before impact: 20 seconds. Determined location of impact: That ditch. Shitshitshitshitshitshit.

I teleported next to the ditch and was slightly caught off-guard to see four others with Pinkie and Twilight but now is not the time. “You all need to move, now!”

They all looked at me confused. “What are you talking about?” Twilight asked.

“No time to explain! Get out now!” Estimated time of impact: 10 seconds.

“Why should we?” the rainbow haired one with wings said with an attitude. Wow, her hair is pretty awesome. I wonder how she got it like- NO TIME FOR HAIR QUESTIONS!!!

“I said,” I surrounded them all in a field of magic. “MOVE!!!” I lift them up and threw them to side. With only seconds to spare, I jumped to side as a huge red dragon crashed down in the ditch, creating a huge crater in the ground.

As the dust cloud clears, I look upon the scene. Lying in the huge crater was a huge red beefy dragon. Its wing span had to be more 30 feet. Its body from its head to its tail must have been had to be at least 50 feet. Its scales were all a bright red with the occasional splotch of silver. It took me a second to notice the holes in its wings and the gashes on its back. Its wing seemed to be bending the wrong was as well. I cautiously inched closer to the dragon. I summoned my sword to my hand in case it was dangerous.

The dragon slowly opened his green eyes and stared at me, examining me. Judging me. Then, the dragon spoke. “Help… me….” it pleaded in at a low volume. He spoke in a deep voice that showed wisdom. Similar to an old martial arts master.

I stared back into his eyes. They begged me to help. I can’t leave someone in need, even if it’s a dragon. I threw Equality to the side and said with a smile “I’ll do what I can.”

I climbed on top of his back, deciding that those would be the wounds to treat first. “Now this is gonna sting… a lot.” A magical aurora covered my hands, then his wound. He let out a roar of pain, waving his head around and breathing fire, but not at me.

As I am doing my best to treat this dragon, I hear the common battle cry of “HIIIIYYAAAA!!!” coming from the rainbow-haired girl who was flying towards the dragon with a kick.

“Stop that.” I grabbed her via magic and tossed her to the side.

“Hey, what do you think you’re doing?”

“Helping him.”

“Are you crazy!? That’s a dragon!”

“Well, your friend Twilight has a dragon and you don’t seem to-” Twilight has a dragon. “TWILIGHT!!!” I scream at the top my lungs.

I saw her head pop out of the edge of the crater. “Yeah, what is-” She seems to be caught off guard by the sight of the dragon.

“Whoa.” I see a glimmer in her eye. “Oh my Celestia; a real, grown dragon! I’ve never seen one this close before. Well, I have, but I never got to study it!”

“Be amazed later,” I interrupted. “He’s hurt and needs our help.” She looked at me on its back, hand over his one of his wounds. “You have a dragon so you know more about them than I do. Help me heal these wounds.”

Twilight gave me a nod and rushed over to me. She began tending to the wound next to me. As her magic laced palm came into contact with the gash, the dragon thrashes around some more. I kept my footing but Twilight fell off. “Whoa, calm down buddy!”

“It burns!” he screamed in pain.

By this time, Pinkie and all of her friends were watching us. “Which one of you is the fastest?”

The rainbow haired one raised her hand. “That would be me, Rainbow Dash, fastest in Equest-”

“Brag later.” I find her annoying. “Go to the hospital and get some anaesthesia, some sedatives, anything that numbs.”

“Why should I?” she said while crossing her arms.

“Really? Does this look soothing?” I said gesturing to our flailing, reptilian friend.

“Fine.” With that she zoomed towards town.

Twilight resumed her position next to me. “Okay,” she begins to the dragon, “Get ready.” She began healing the other gash. The dragon flailed again, but this time Twilight stayed where she was.

Not even a minute passed before Rainbow Dash returned with a bag full of syringes. “Okay. Here you go.” She tossed the bag at me even though I clearly have my hand tied up with something. The bag falls on the ground. I give her a look. “Oops.”

I looked over at Twilight, who was barely staying on the dragons back. “Think you know how to inject those into our friend here?”

Almost on cue, she fell off, conveniently next to the bag. “Umm… yes.”

Twilight grabbed the bag and took out a syringe. She wandered around the side of the dragon, trying to find vein or something. I have no clue. She stopped at a certain point, sticking the needle of the syringe under a scale and injecting the sedative into the dragon. The dragon was still flinching in pain.

“We’re gonna need a lot more than one shot, Twilight.” Twilight continued to inject the sedatives into the dragon until the dragon began to calm down.

I was too distracted by my current situation to hear the familiar voice screaming in the distance. “Rainbow! You can’t come out here!” It was Ditzy, doing what I had told her to do and making sure no one came to the field. She ran next to Rainbow and grabbed her shoulder, panting heavily. “Rainbow, you… can’t be… here.” Once Ditzy caught her breath, she realized what was in front of her. A dragon. “Ooooh.” Obviously, she was amazed. Before I could say anything to her, she ran to the head of the dragon. His eyes examined her. “Hello,” Ditzy said in a cheery tone.

“Hello… young one.” The dragon said between breaths.

“My name is Ditzy. What’s yours?”

“My name… is Draco.” Draco. How stereotypical.

“That’s a cool name.” I’m not entirely sure, but I think I saw Draco smile at her.

“Your name is far more interesting than mine, young one. Ditzy is a rather unique name.”

“No it’s not.” She blushed.

This dragon is hitting on my girl! I eye him daggers, even though he can’t see me.



Hours have passed since Draco crashed and the migrating dragons are long gone. I assume no one was eaten. Twilight and I were able to heal the injuries on his back and the holes in his wings, but the broken wing was an entirely different story. Neither mine nor Twilight’s magic was advanced enough to heal a broken bone. The best we could do was make a splint for it. Ditzy was able to keep Draco company all the while.

“Thank you all for your kindness,” said Draco to the eight of us, even though only half of us did anything. “I don’t know what I would have done if you weren’t here.”

“Don’t thank us yet,” Twilight said. “That wing is still broken, despite our best efforts, and you won’t be able fly until it heals up.”

Draco hung his head. “Well that is rather unfortunate. Seeing as I am a dragon and we have been given the reputation of eating your kind, I cannot stay near your village.” He raised his head. “Do any of you perhaps know of a place where I can stay while my wing heals?”

Everyone put a finger to their chin. I was the first to come up with an idea. “Why not stay in the Everfree Forest? I’m sure you can handle anything that poses as a threat.”

“I do not partake in violence,” said the dragon. “Just because I can take on any creature, doesn’t mean I would like to. I’m a pacifist.” Everyone lets out small gasps. A dragon who’s against violence. Who would’a thought?

“Aren’t you a carnivore? You eat meat, right?” asked Twilight.

“I am a carnivore. I only kill what I intend to eat. Anything else would be a wasting a life.” Look at this dragon and his morals. “If there is any alternative, I would gladly appreciate it.”

Everyone put a finger to their chins again. Ditzy eyes go wide as her idea pops into her head. “I know! You can stay with Scales!”

I was caught off guard by this. “What?”

“I couldn’t impose upon you like that,” Draco declined.

“It’ll be fine.” Ditzy reassured him, not on my behalf. “Scales’ house is on the edge of town and there aren’t any houses near it so you’ll be fine.”

“Umm, Ditzy,” I interrupted. “I don’t think having a dragon at my house is the best idea.” It was a great idea, actually. Nobody lives near me and my backyard is large enough to accommodate him. I just don’t want him to get hungry and eat poor little Wolfgang.

“Please. He has nowhere else to go.” Her eyes became big and shiny and her bottom lip began to quiver.

After three seconds of futile resisting, I gave in. “Fine.“ You try saying no to this adorable cross-eyed puppy dog pout.

“Yay!” Ditzy cheered. She turned to Draco with a large smile. “Isn’t this great! You have a place to live!”

“Temporarily,” I interrupted.

“I really can’t thank you enough, Mister Scales.”

“Yeah, yeah, just don’t eat my ostrich.”

And that, my friends, is why my stables are now always locked.






Author's Note: Check out this seductive red text. Sorry this one took so long. Got distracted. Thanks again f0xhole, readers, and a special thanks to my friend Ryan who gave me the idea for this chapter.