• Published 21st Jun 2018
  • 1,631 Views, 38 Comments

The Destruction of Equestria - Deathstroke3170



The Transformer Unicron has come and is about to devour Equestria, will Equestria survive?

  • ...
10
 38
 1,631

Chapter 5: Shields of Hope

Chapter 5: Shields of Hope

It was cold, the darkness that had swept over Equestria was causing everyone to shiver. Was it the fear of death? The agonizing dread? it was a question Celestia was thinking about when she looked towards the dark cold sky. She could smell death coming as she looked towards the empty space of the moon, it had been a tiring day, not just for everyone but her especially. The entire council meeting had been troublesome in that nothing was planned and had been taxing her magic with the transportation.

Celestia was now waiting for Twilight, Starlight Glimmer and other smart beings for the calculations on the number of unicorns required to stop Unicron from devouring the planet and the preparations of the unicorns. She was so lost in her own thoughts, thinking about the possibilities, the stress had been creeping up her like a cold feeling along the spine. This feeling was irritating her, but she couldn’t help but think what would happen to the world that she governed, it was a beautiful world where she grew up and the world where she would die on if Unicron won.

The dread of the possibilities on surviving this ordeal was worrying her to the bones, it was something that she had trouble believing that she of all beings would die. It was upsetting her that she had defeated countless enemies, sometimes with only her wits but now that she would die by something that was just bigger than her. It was then that soft wing feathers tickled her back as a warm wing embraced her while she looked behind her. It was the blue twinkling stars fading slowly from Luna’s shining mane that concerned Celestia deeply as it was turning grey by the hour, but she had a look of determination on her face that said that she would not give up that easily.

“It’s alright Sister, we have to pull through this together, like what you said from before, I will get my revenge on Unicron and we shall live for many eras to come.” Luna said, looking outside the window. Fire torches had been lit throughout Canterlot as the magical lamps that had been usually used ran out of power. The lamps had been usually powered by the sun rays, storing the energy into a giant source crystal and whenever needed, the energy would be transmitted by special magic waves. It made it much more sustainable and environmentally friendly which Luna found it intriguing when she had just returned from the moon. The fire glittered in Luna’s eyes as she waited for Celestia to respond.

“But it’s not alright Luna, we are the rulers of this land and we must defend it at all costs but how can we? I have nothing within my powers to do anything, we are useless. Everypony and everyone else looks up to us as protectors of the land and all we are doing now is just planning, no action has been taken to stop Unicron and I…” Celestia cried, but then hesitated “Yet during my speech towards everypony I didn’t say anything inspiring, I only lead everyone to despair and torment. What I saw was truly horrific it’s like those time you see a pony suicide, their faces…but it was only Twilight and Fluttershy that managed to bring everyone back. I am scared sister, I truly am.” Celestia said sadly shivering slightly as a cold draft of wind blew from underneath the doorway. It was one of her greatest fears, Unicron coming back had been a nightmare she dreamt about almost every night as a young filly. Something that she feared would happen to herself, but it was now becoming a reality and that terror had taken hold of her. She was hyperventilating, the breaths quickened but the reassurance of Luna helped a little bit.

“It’s alright to fear sister but do not let it take control of you, I for one have faced astronomical odds countless of times during my hunts against beasts from all over Equestria. Ranging from Hydras to Wendigos, but I still pressed on. To tell you the truth I thought I would have died in some of those hunts,” Luna sighed “I felt the exact same as you, I didn’t want to lose you because of my stupidity in thinking I could hold against them but it was my duty to do so. I did it by channeling the fear that I had and turning it into something else, I created the courage that was needed to face my opponent and willed myself to confront the threat. You cannot have courage without fear, you must embrace it.” Luna said, confidently.

“But sister, we are talking about a planet, a planet 3 times greater than our one and could devour us without even trying. How can you have courage to stand against it? Look at you now, you are fading Luna, I don’t want to lose you, not like our parents.” Celestia cried, placing her head on to Luna’s. Tears fell from Celestia face, but Luna did not cry.

“Ssh, sister do not give up hope, if you give up now Unicron wins already. Like what Twilight said, we need as much help as we can get now. We have Chrysalis, Sombra, hundreds of thousands maybe millions of ponies that are willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good. Do not give up hope sister, I am here by your side forever for as long as I may live. Just like you did with me all those many years ago when I was a foal. Even though you had no time to play with me, you always did or when I was scared, you were by my side every hoof step of the way,” Luna said brushing Celestia’s mane away from her teary face. “I may be fading but I still fight with honour and freedom, I did not give up hope and so shall you. And if I am not here then I want you to promise me something.” Luna sighed, knowing that she had to make her sister continue fighting no matter what.

“No, I can’t lose you too, I…” Celestia cried, but a wing was placed on her mouth before she could say anything else.

“You will promise me this sister, to continue fighting until the fight end. Do not weep for me, do not try to defy the laws of nature to bring me back. If I am gone, I am gone. You must end the fight, it lies within you to and when it is done then you can mourn for me,” Luna said sternly, “I do not want you to fall into despair and lose hope in the middle of the fight, if you do, you will die, and I will not forgive you for it. I love you with all my heart and don’t want to lose you but what happens, will stay that way.”

Celestia was about to say something when the door opened with a stressed Twilight. Twilight had been annoyed for the past three hours with Star Swirl the bearded. There was just constant arguing between the old ways of alchemy and the now new scientific way of doing things that got the group assigned nowhere until Star Swirl walked out of the room with disgust in his eyes. It would have been much quicker if Star Swirl gave in to the new method and not be stubborn in his ways. She would have exploded with magic if it weren’t for her student Starlight Glimmer that calmed her.

She trotted towards Celestia, but she saw her quickly brush her mane away from her eyes and wipe the tears away and look towards her trying to act with hope and determination. Twilight on the other hoof saw the red sunken eyes of her teacher and knew she had been crying and saw something was up but decided against it knowing that there was not much time left which scared her.

“Twilight my faithful student, I hope you have good results,” Celestia croaked, before coughing a bit and clearing her voice.

“Well there is some good news and bad news Princess,” Twilight said holding the clipboard with magic, the results were detailed but still lacked important answers. “The good news is that there are enough magical beings in this world to create a shield around Equestria and it would last for roughly 2 years or so if we take turns holding the barrier up. We have roughly 3 times the amount of magical beings to hold the shield up.”

“That is good Twilight but what is the bad news,” Luna said plainly, wanting to get straight to the point.

Twilight sighed she hated this part of the results because of how vague it had become.
“The bad news is that even with Unicron’s rough estimate in size it is too hard to determine the shield strength. If we could do more tests and had more time we could resolve this issue, but we have only Sombra’s example showing against the shield that Cadance used and this creates a lot of variables and so forth” Twilight said, Celestia deflated a bit but Luna did not mind at all and by the look of both faces Twilight saw an internal conversation between them but before she could say anything Celestia spoke.

“Alright it is time,” Celestia said, while moving her neck left to right and the audible cracks could be heard.


Unicron’s path of destruction was evident as he continued through planet after planet, his never-ending appetite for chaos reigned supreme, he continued destroying other planets in the nearby areas as he waited for his newest minion to stop the Equestrian’s plans against him. The countless lives lost were either floating dead bodies in space or inside the giant machinery, dropping the various life-forms into vats of chemicals that would dissolve the body into energy which would become usable for Unicron. But it was then he detected a giant spike in energy that caught his attention.

Something was off in the readings and he now headed towards Equestria once again to confront this plan that was put forth. It was there a clear blue layer was forming over the planet as hundreds of thousands of unicorns and other magical creatures all used their magic encasing the planet. Unicron calculated the strength of the barrier that was presented to him and was quite surprised at the outcomes, the shield would hold but barely. He foresaw a plan, but he did not expect this.

“It is time Tirek, go now and stop this,” Unicron echoed creating a massive shadow over Equestria.

“You have only delayed the inevitable, Celestia and Luna, you shall now witness the dismemberment of Equestria and you are powerless to stop me,” Unicron boomed as the mandibles reached the shield.


Celestia and Luna had heard Unicron and did not like it one bit, but their concentration held strong as they looked at each other briefly before they felt the shield being strained. The tension between Unicron and the barrier was intensifying as unicorns started groaning in pain. As some fell from over exhaustion new ones took their place and with that the first contact between the mandibles and barrier held strong. Unicron was not happy but was mildly amused at the world’s effort, he could detect that 4 Alicorn Princesses were using their magic each at strategic places to cover the most ground. Unicron was still pressing on and new that Tirek had to strike at one of the 4 corners of the Alicorn Princesses for his plan to succeed.

The pressure spread but with the 4 Alicorns holding the barrier up it did not falter, Unicron however also detected very strong energy sources as he continued trying to eat the barrier with no results. There were a few Unicorns that caught his attention as names and databases of them appeared on his screens. King Sombra, Shining Armour, Star Swirl the Bearded and Chrysalis the changeling were the main culprits for the strong magic and they were some of the key points that strengthened the shield. Unicron then came to realize that it was the 4 Alicorns that were the base of the shields the foundation of the barrier that was being held right now and that the powerful unicorns were reinforcing the shields so that it would not crack, or falter and the rest were the meat of shield. It was interesting to Unicron as he analyzed the shield with extreme precision, finding weak points and chinks that he could eat but none was found. It was the perfect strategy to hold against him.

It was however going to be the end for Equestria, Unicron knew that, it was imminent, death was certain but he had to be patient and to break the ponies one by one.

Author's Note:

Like promised
Also I will be on a hiatus for 2-3 weeks because of Trials coming up.
I will see you in the next chapter! :D