• Published 1st Jun 2018
  • 3,846 Views, 35 Comments

Bionicle: Of The Shadows - One of Nine



I stood over the cold and smoldering corpses of my fallen brothers and sister. Their hollow eyes glaring up at me, eyes that once held ambition, passion, and a dedication to their duties. I now stood over their mangled bodies, as the last of my kind.

  • ...
7
 35
 3,846

Welcome Friend

Makuta were said to be fearless. Hulking titans with no fear, facing any danger to protect and provide for their world’s inhabitants. That being said, I indefinitely planned to do that with this world’s population. Regardless of how annoying, naive, or rude they were.

I was currently seated in Princess Celestia’s chariot, hooking my claws into the armrests. The three Princesses sat on the opposite of me, all watching as I struggled with my grip. I took note that my limbs were jumpy, scrambling to grasp anything that could support my large frame against the thrashing cabin. If there were any other Makuta in the area, I would’ve done my best to suppress my troubled mind and body. And if I could hold my dignity as a fearless Makuta, I assure you, I would’ve. And if there was one thing I feared more than anything else, it was heights.

Most Makuta would forgo their troubles and focus on their plans, I however had no want to do such a thing. I was too… panicked, by my predicament. I’d more than once stayed below deck on many transports back home… or at least… what used to be home. I remembered them well; the towering city of Metru Nui with its gleaming skyscrapers, the grass filled planes of the Central Continent, and the pure snowcapped mountains of Suva Nui. All these breath-taking sights had been seen on foot, not in any confounded contraption that Mutran had decided to build. Often using me as the test dummy… don’t ask. I still get nightmares when I think of those times. They often ended with me in a full body cast, at least it felt that way with those vats he used to heal me in.

In any case, yes, I hate heights and any vehicle that goes up. Especially if I’m not the piolet. However, as I seethed and lamented over my past, Celestia had apparently asked me a question. One which I replied to with as much grace and calm as fundamentally possible.

“What?” I grumbled, my voice echoing in the small space.

My crimson eyes stared down at her, the Alicorn’s own eyes wavering in panic. “I- I asked if you’re alright. You seem disturbed. Would you like anything?”

I gave her a huff before speaking. “I’m fine.”

“Are you sure?” She pushed, looking concerned. “It wouldn’t be any trouble, I assure you.”

I gave her a scowl from behind my mask, my eyes narrowing slightly. “I said, I’m fine.” I restated with folded arms.

The Princess frowned further, contemplating on whether it was a good idea to extend aid. I agreed with her when she came to her conclusion; that I was too stubborn to accept help. As it was back in my world, Makuta have never needed help. At least not in my memory. If any help was needed, I’d simply spawn Rahkshi for aid. Nothing more, nothing less. Besides, Toa have always been known to get in the way and die. Useless Karzahni spawns.

After a quick probe, I saw that the nefarious “King” was strapped next to Pinkie pie. The mare in question kept Sombra from going bored with numerous word and eye-spy games, to which the former tyrant grumbled at constantly. I then found that my eyes had been staring at Celestia’s younger sister, Luna. I couldn’t tell why, but she held me in curiosity. The fact that I, a Makuta, was a creature of darkness and she, being the ruler of the night. We no doubt shared, in the very least, a miner connection. But a connection I felt was unnecessary.

My Zesk companion sat next to me, his long tail bobbing with the accursed chariot we rode in. Torahk sat with his legs swinging wildly below him, humming and watching with interest as the clouds sailed by.

However, my obversions were interrupted as an explosion of light and sound erupted from the east, causing all contraptions present to waver in their paths. My eyes snapped to the accursed light that dared threaten to blind me. But what I saw only fueled my panic and awe.

It was a ship. A massive ship. What hovered before me was an aircraft of pure madness. Said ship was a vast silver spire with three rings hovering around it, the spire acting as their center piece. Between each ring and the spire lay a maze of sickly green webs, the Visorak webs spanned from the rings’ inner layer and anchored the rings in their positions. At the sharp spire’s tip I could see a sliver of clear protodermis, clearly acting as a view port. I looked down to see the lower half of the spire acted as a massive blade, slicing and battering rock and earth with relative ease.

Each ring gave out a thunderous hum as they pulsed with blue energy, with each wave of sound a bright flare of power surged its way to the spire, continuing to power the kio high ship. I looked over the ship once more to see if I’d missed anything. No, all was well, until they spotted us.

Seconds after this thought was finished, a small (bio high and two bios wide) hanger door slid open, the shrill hissing of the doors flooding every pony’s ears. Once the doors ground to a halt, another low hum took the hissing’s place. Suddenly, millions upon millions of Rahkshi swarmed through the air toward us, their own hissing and shrieking drowning out the rings’ hums.

“W-what are--?” Stuttered a shaking Luna as she peered from her window.

“Fly, fly!!” Shouted Celestia to her guards, urging her warriors to flee with them in toe. Yet I decided to stay and face my new foes.

I then density shifted and fell through the floor of the cabin. Once freed of my crushing enclosure, I sprouted two pairs of rahi (bat) wings to keep myself afloat. I turned toward my assaulting armada of Rahkshi, all multicolored eyes glaring at me.

By my calculations, I had 16.3 seconds before they reached me. I took a look at my current body. Its limbs were thin and brittle, more than likely to snap at the sharpest of blades. My legs were no better. My torso was flat and unimpressive. This was the body of a scientist, a thinker. What I needed now was a warrior and a berserker, not this weakling that drifted in my place.

My mind focused on my frame, activating my shapeshifting ability. My limbs grew in thickness, gaining both silver and black spiked armor where there once was little. My frame’s torso grew in armor and bulk, wicked blades and hooks formed my newly shaped armor. I still retained my four-digit hands and spines, wanting to keep something familiar. My head quickly sprouted a short muzzle and a set of serrated horns, these horns sprouted from my muzzle’s sides to curve over my forehead, ending in sharp tips. A simple pair of eyes became two, one pair near my new jawline and the other set along my forehead. And finally, another set of wings formed, needed to carry my newly added bulk. In the end, I had changed from one monstrosity to an enormous beast of utter destruction.

After my transformation, I ignited my clawed hands with drooling green poison and shrieking white rage. All wings flapping menacingly as I veered toward my oncoming enemies. I then released a mighty roar that turned into a sonic scream, tearing into my opponents’ armies. Within 4.1 seconds I was surrounded on all fronts. To counteract this action, I unleashed a virgae of spiked tentacles and Fear from my back, chest, and hands. All Rahkshi within range were imediantly obliterated and torn asunder, screaming in horror. Four laser beams erupted from my eyes, all beams shifting at various degrees to cut through their targets (Darkside style).

I soon produced my scythe and proceeded to cleave a Rahkshi of Sonics in half, its gears and parts falling to the earth along with its wreathing slug. All four of my eyes were suddenly drawn to a somewhat familiar presents above me. There, among the swarming Rahkshi, hovered a black and olive-green figure. The body showed the curves of a female Makuta. A pair of wings graced her waist, her legs were bent like mine (double kneed), a set of mandibles lay at her jawline, a glowing orange orb sat in her chest. Finally, she wielded a wicked sword and twisted spear.

The female Makuta regarded me with a nod and then directed her spear’s tip toward me. I response, the surrounding Rahkshi coiled around her, only to divebomb me in seconds. And I, not wanting to get torn apart, shifted into my ghostly form. After a tiring moment of unending screeching, claws, and grotesque tentacle faces, I teleported to my mysterious hostess. At first appearance, she was unfazed by my arrival. After a moment of looking me over, she nodded again and raised her sword above her head. The army halted their attack as they’d been coming back around for another swipe, intent of following their leader’s previous command.

Her two crimson eyes stared into mine for a few seconds, dancing between my two sets of eyes, apparently curious as to why I’d chosen four instead of two. She then focused her thoughts on mine, her voice sliced through my thoughts like a well-placed dagger.

‘Come brother, our leader wishes to speak with you.’ She mentally said, her eyes narrowing with a slight glow.

I stole a glance behind me at the petrified ponies, their faces wreaking of terror. I sent a questioning glare at my host.
They’ll be well so long as they behave. She reassured, gesturing for me to enter the hanger doors as they screeched open.

I looked back to Celestia, deciding to quickly order her. Stay put little ones. The Princess blinked in response and slightly nodded, content on staying her safety zone.

With that said, I followed my host into the hanger along with the Rahkshi army. Now, I know what your thinking. Going into the lair of another Makuta, possibly more, and an entire army behind me? Sounds ludicrous doesn’t it?

Once my titanic feet landed, I retracted my wings and looked to my hostess. She motioned for me to follow her down the corridor, the curved walls loomed overhead to form a sharp line for the ceiling, the dull glow of green light peeked through the symmetrical waved holes in said walls. Smooth rivets shoved themselves toward us, every inch hooked into the walls at equal distance from each other. An almost circuit board (techno-organic) design was edged into the floor, giving it a very artistic look. Unlike the Makuta of my world, who just left things as they were, never valuing the beauty and elegance of another’s creation. So engrossed was I in the floor’s pattern, I failed to see the other Makuta’s eyes glaring at me.

She clicked her mandibles together before clearing her throat, my head snapped up to meet hers. “Are you done? Kahkor doesn’t like to be kept waiting.”

I nodded in response. “Very well then, lead on.”

The Makuta turned around and gracefully strode down the hall, I took up walking behind her. After a few minutes we arrived at what appeared to be a dead end, the sheets of metal curving upward and around a large circle, the image of a Kanohi Kraahkan carved inward. My counterpart stepped toward the wall and placed a clawed hand on its cool surface, only for the wall to hiss and slit down the middle, the Kraahkan cracking as the doors slid open.

From out of the darkness shimmered several pairs of red eyes, all from behind various masks. A hulking white Makuta sat at the long table’s end, a large sword resting in his grasp, its bladed tip grinding into the floor. My female companion stepped forward and nodded to the white Makuta, he nodded in return before she spoke.

“Makuta Kahkor, I present the Makuta who decimated my shear of the army. Makuta…” She turned to me, obviously expecting me to pickup where she left off.

I stepped next to the green Makuta. “Makuta Valkaan.”

Kahkor looked me dead in the eye(s). “Valkaan, when we entered this reality we hardly expected to find another of our kind here. Tell us what your story is, what happened on your world?”

“I had been…” I looked off to the side for a moment. “Hiding… from my world’s Teridax. He’d just claimed leadership of my Brotherhood and planned to extinguish Mata Nui, in turn taking control of the world and no doubt ruling with an iron fist. It wasn’t long before I heard that Makuta who originally opposed Teridax were being hunted down. After hearing this, I was able to build a gateway to another world, though not this one mind you.”

Kahkor nodded for me to continue.

“It was a door to the Shadow Realm, the pocket dimension that the Visorak god lived in. A pity really, I can never seem to remember its name.” I took a moment to remember my tale. “After three years of waiting, I exited the Shadow Realm to watch as my fellow Makuta burned by a great storm. Antroz, Gorast, Chirox, Mutran, Krika, Vamprah, and Bitil all died at Teridax’s hands. And thanks to the growing intensity of the storm, I had no option but to stand and watch.”

I watched as multiple eyes glanced over at one another, a few mumbles exchanged low enough that I couldn’t hear. I nodded as the whispers died down, taking it as the moment to pick up again.

“After this, I dedicated my work to restoring my race, being the only one who cared enough to bring us back. My world’s Miserix declined my offer to help, saying it was not worth the effort to rebuild. I’d soon gather many ingredients for my project, but I needed something to complete my goal, something I felt that I couldn’t find there. So, I then decided to traverse the multi-verse, seeking out this new element. However…” I felt like smacking myself in the head. “It never occurred to me to just simply look next door to find other Makuta, instead I had to go the long way around. And I arrived here not a few hours ago with my Zesk companion, Torahk.”

“That wouldn’t be the one currently trying to ram the door down with his face, would it?” Chuckled a black and ocean-blue Makuta off to my right, jabbing his thumb (I think, the guy had six fingers on each hand) at a monitor that showed the Zesk doing just that. “I’m surprised he hasn’t given up or just passed out yet.”

I groaned at my companion’s display, inwardly wishing he would stop harming himself. I turned back to face Kahkor. “If you would allow it, I will go and retrieve my Zesk.”

The white Makuta sat up straight. “We use little formality here, Valkaan. I don’t know how tight they were on your world, but here, we don’t judge on relaxed behavior.”

My escort grumbled in reply, her eyes narrowing slightly.

“Most of us, anyway.”

I released the tension that I’d been holding in, relaxing in this new environment. I then took a moment to look around the room we were in, seeing numerous machines, vats, chemical stabilizers, and much more scientific equipment. Yet, there was one wonder of the multiverse that caught my immediate attention.

All four eyes widened in awe, my mind swirled with billions upon billions of future experiments, and I felt a sudden itch creep into my claws. “W-what in Mata Nui’s name…”

I could feel several of my fellow Makuta grinning and chuckling at my childishness. A silver and blue female Makuta walked up behind me, chuckling at my awed state. “Yes, your eyes don’t deceive you, Valkaan.”

She gazed down at the device with me. “The MC7-563 Xianic Orchestrator. MC7-XO for short.”

If my eyes grew any larger, they might have leaped right out of their sockets. “Thi-this was only in the construction phase before Teridax took over, it’d barley even began to work. I’d only seen it in action once, literally blew up in Chirox’s face, but still...”

“Perhaps… I’d like to try it?” She proposed, her hand presenting the devise.

“Careful Valkaan! Rahaa’s known for her aging touch, she even flicks it, that MC7 will be nothing but dust in seconds!” Chuckled a nearby Makuta in silver and red armor, his hands pressing against each other.

“Enough of this foolish fooling around. Introductions are in order.” Kahkor said with annoyance. “Rahaa, would you start?”

Said Makuta nodded before stepping back to give me a full view of her form. Her rare green eyes locked onto me, both of us studying each other. Her Hordika styled head mimicked that of a dragon, a large pair of blue and silver wings rustling on her back. From behind her, a lashing tail was seen, its curved spines glistening in the dim light. But what caught my attention the most was the glowing limb green sack held firmly in her abdomen. The organ lay between the plates of armor, pulsing softly. Rahaa noticed my gaze and draped a hand over it, intent on protecting the priceless organ. That brings us to my second observation. Her hands only had two digits on them, the rest looking as if they were removed by a sharp blade. What could have done that?

“I am Makuta Rahaa of Spherus Magna 2X-34.” She announced, her voice nearing a snarl. “Don’t even consider it.”

Consider what?

“I’m deemed Makuta Salruus, from Bota Magna 6Y-78.” Said a skinny, red and black Makuta, his eyes obscured by a blank black mask. A mouth full of sharp teeth and long fangs was the only hole in said mask. The interesting thing about this Makuta was that he possessed no legs, only a short tail that dangled above the floor ending in a sharp blade. His long claws threatening to be used as pliers.

“Oops.” Shouted a Makuta in bronze armor, his hand pressing a button on the table. All present looked to the monitor to see the hanger’s doors open, Torahk and the ponies making their way into the ship. The screen flipped to see them all hesitantly walking down the dark halls, the pony’s eyes all darting from left to right. They radiated fear.

“Well,” Said Kahkor, a smile edged onto his Visorak styled head. “Time to meet the natives.”

Author's Note:

FINALLY! The second chapter of this story is finished!

Granted, it's a little short.