• Published 23rd May 2018
  • 664 Views, 18 Comments

The Pretty Pink Offer - Glitzy Glow



Twilight cant find a job, until her nemesis offers her a place at her dads music store.

  • ...
1
 18
 664

Chapter 4

The next week, everything went pretty much normally, except that Poppy was being way to nice to me. She hasn’t insulted me, made me trip, or embarrassed me in any way, except that she keeps saying that I thought some super popular boy like Flash might like a super unpopular girl like me, always making up stories that aren’t true, but never when he’s around. After all, she wouldn’t want to be downgraded by the most popular boy in the school. Yeah, he can do that. Other than that, nothing has happened. Really weird. When I told that to Sunset Shimmer, all she said was, “Looks like she’s finally starting to develop a personality.” She was mocking Poppy, but pretty much just brushed it off like is was no big deal, which I guess it wasn’t. That week I also signed up for the job at the music store, and they accepted me, even though I had no musical experience. Poppy’s dad, Filthy Rich, said that I could have the job anyway and that I would be selling the instruments, not using them. Wow, he can be just as rude as his daughters. Oh, did I mention Poppy has sister? She’s a freshman, her name is Diamond Tiara, and she’s just as stuck up as her older sister. She and her best friend Silverspoon are always making fun of Rarity’s little sister, Sweetiebelle, and her friends Applebloom and Scootaloo (Flash’s little sister). Just to sum it up, there are two of them. Horrible, right? Anyway, her dad gave me the job and said that I would start working on Sunday.

So that Sunday I went to the music store, called Music Through the Ages, in my new work uniform: a white polo shirt, beige pants and white sneakers. It was the ugliest thing I had ever worn. My hair was held up in high a ponytail. My job was to show people around the store and help them find what they were looking for. Filthy Rich said that I wouldn’t need to know about music, though right? What he didn’t say as that I should at least know the names of them, which I don’t. I guess I looked a little lost on my first day, because Flash (who had been at the register helping someone pay for a songbook) came over to me and asked if I needed any help.

“Does it show? Because this is my first day here and I don’t want to look like someone who doesn’t know what their doing.” I said with a worried expression on my face.

Do you know what your doing?” he asked.

“Not really.” I admitted, “I’m supposed to just show people around and help them find what they’re looking for, but I don’t know anything about instruments, and I’m not very good at communicating with strangers either.”

“Then working in a place where you have to sell instruments to people is a pretty odd choice, don’t you think?”

“I guess, but I was desperate. This offer just randomly came up, and Filthy Rich said I’d be fine. He was wrong.” I said.

Flash smiled, “Well, if you don’t know anything about instruments...” he said, walking over to the register before pulling a small book from a drawer.“.. you might want to take a look at this sometime.” He handed it to me. The cover said, ‘Instruments for Dummies’. I guess I gave it a funny look because he said, “Not that you’re dumb, it’s just helpful for beginners, ya know?” I nodded.

“Well, if you ever need help with people, you know where my station is. Trust me, the job is as easy as putting ice cream in a cone easy once you get used to it. Your name’s Twilight, right?”

“Yes, and thank you for saying it correctly.” I said. He gave me a funny look. “Most people don’t even know me. And if they do, it’s not in a very good way.” I explained, looking down.

“Really?!” he asked, pretending to be surprised, “I would think that everyone would notice such a beautiful girl like you.” I looked up at him and blushed. He winked and walked back to the register, where two customers were waiting. That guy is so sweet. Well, back to work. Flash said it wasn’t that difficult, so why not give it a try?

*****

I decided to start studying the book, since no one in to store seemed like they were in need of assistance. The store was pretty busy. A lot of kids from school had come to the store and were looking around. Who knew so many kids were into music? I was about a quarter through the book what someone came up to me.

“Do you no where I can find a music stand?” the woman asked.

“Uh, I’m new here, but I’m pretty sure that there over here.” I said, guiding her towards the left side of the store. Sure enough, there were about 20 music stands in different colors. The woman thanked me, and as I made my way back to my seat and sat down, I turned bright red. Right from underneath me came the sound of a deflating whoopie cushion. Literally everyone in to store turned to look at me, and all the people from school laughed. I was so embarrassed. But it didn’t stop there. The noise scared me up and backwards, where I slipped and slid on the freshly mopped linoleum floor and into a yellow janitor’s bucket of water, which somehow triggered another, even bigger bucket of soapy water to land on me from above. I was soaked. Flash rushed over to help me when I fell and asked if I was alright. I nodded, but knew that I wasn’t. I looked around and noticed that every kid from school had there cellphones out and were laughing as they video taped me. In the middle of the large crowd was Poppy, standing there with her arms crossed and smirk on her face. Instantly I knew that she had planned everything, from the whoopie cushion to the bucket being right over the place I fell. That also explained why so many people had come to the store. They were her camera crew and now I was going to be the biggest story of the year. No one else was smart enough to pull off something so humiliating, and no one hated or knew me well enough to actually think of doing it, or think I would fall for it. (Literally) It all could have been done so quickly for her, with her dad owning the store and all, she could have easily begged him to give me the job that wasn’t needed, and then to plan everything else was simple, especially with so many other teenagers surrounding her, eager for a good laugh. Once I saw her, I ran out of the store, Flash calling after me.