• Published 12th Aug 2018
  • 2,334 Views, 56 Comments

A Small Secret - OneBrainCellLeft



Rainbow Dash is at work when her friends stop by to see how she is. When a small secret of hers sorta slips out...

  • ...
1
 56
 2,334

Chapter 1 - Starting Work (EDITED)

"Rainbow Dash! Dear, you have to get up! You'll be late for work!" her mother yelled up the stairs to her room. It was 8:00 AM and Rainbow was tired from staying up late the night before. It wasn't until Rainbow Dash opened her eyes and looked at the clock and saw what time it was before she got up.

"Oh my gosh! It's 8 o'clock already?" Rainbow Dash scrambled to get out of bed to get ready for work. She was supposed to leave for work at 8:30 AM and didn't want to be late again. Last time she was late for work she was almost fired from her job.

Rainbow Dash couldn't believe she had let herself sleep in again! She hurried to change into her uniform and fix her hair before going downstairs for breakfast. "Rainbow Dash dear, I left some pancakes for you on the table when you're done getting ready." her mother told her as she walked the rest of the way down the stairs.

"Thanks mom." she said to her mom relieved there was one less thing she had to do before leaving. "I don't know what I would have done if you weren't here to wake me up...and make me food." Rainbow Dash ate as quickly as she could, so she wouldn't be late for work.

"Well, I figured you'd probably sleep in again." Her mother replied. All she needed to do now was hop in the car and go.

"Bye mom, see you later! Tell dad I said, 'bye' too!" She yelled hurriedly as she was about to walk out the door. "I will! Drive safe! Love you!" her mother responded. "Thanks, love you too!" She yelled back as she ran out the door. She then swung open the car door and jumped inside.

She had been hoping she wasn't going to be late. She wasn't sure if there was going to be traffic, but she had to leave regardless. Rainbow had never been an early starter when it came to waking up in the morning, but recently it had been getting worse.

Rainbow Dash normally would have woken up at at least 7:30 AM just to give her enough time to do everything she needed to do in the morning. Lately at night she couldn't help, but stay awake thinking. And she wasn't responding to her alarm clock going off. Then her thoughts trailed to her friends and what they were doing. Her mind wandered and she began to think about Soarin. She had recently started to notice him a little more, maybe even liked him. But, she would never admit that anyone. I wonder what he's thinking about...probably something cute. Wait...cute? Since when do I say the word "cute"? Okay, even I'm starting to weird myself out. Get a grip!

Before Rainbow Dash knew it she was almost there. Work started at about 9:00 o'clock in the morning and she was about 5 minutes away. She would definitely make it in time. Just as Rainbow Dash had been pulling into the parking lot at the mall, surely enough the clock had turned to 9:00. "Phew! Made it just in time." she sighed with relief as she got out her key to the gate, lifted it open and walked inside.

Rainbow Dash was relieved she wasn't late. Rainbow Dash needed to buy a new car, and couldn't without this job. Her car right now was a pretty old one. It had a dent or two from her bumping into their mail box a few times. When she got her new car she decided to try and be a bit more careful with it. The whole reason she needed a new one was because of how careless she was with the last. Well, that's not entirely true. She wasn't completely careless with it...probably.

She was also saving up for college in a few years. She knew her parents could help with some of the expenses for a while but she felt a bit guilty what with everything they did for her. So she wanted to pay for it herself, and give her parents a break. Of course she wasn't sure if she was going to be able to if she kept waking up so late. It was very strange she usually got up on time, despite her not really being a morning person.

After she walked in to work she took off her bag and began stacking some of the shelves before they opened in a half hour. Rainbow Dash was the only one there. She had the opening shift today, and at the moment she was pretty exhausted from last night. She and her friends had a sleepover at Pinkie Pie's house and although she didn't stay up too late she was still tired from their partying. It wasn't until about 10:00 PM when she realized that she had to go home because her uniform was there and she had the opening shift in the morning.

She would have come back to the party, but she had decided that she should get some sleep because she had work in the morning. She didn't see what the point was of her going to Pinkie's and then going back home to get her uniform. Only to then take even more time to go back to Pinkie's, and stay up later then she wanted driving back. She would then have to disappoint her friends that she was going to bed the second she got back. Even if she did go back to Pinkie's and try to sleep, her friends would probably want to stay up and enjoy themselves further. Which would make it more difficult for her to get to sleep.

After Rainbow Dash finished stacking the shelves, she decided to read the small local newspaper that was sitting near the cash register. She was just flipping through the pages until one caught her eye. It was actually a small article that was done on her school soccer team. She was surprised that they wanted to do an article on them but, none the less obliged to their request.

She sat there for a few seconds looking at the picture of her and the team. More specifically on the part where her and the co-captain of the team, Soarin, were standing together. Soarin had his arm around her for the picture, she actually remembered the day pretty well.

As she remembered the moment they actually took the picture, she started to get a warm fuzzy feeling in her stomach again. She couldn't stop smiling and began to feel her cheeks burning. Stupid heart! Stop, looking like an idiot!

It wasn't until she looked up that she realized it was about 9:30 and that she would have to open in a few minutes. She wasn't sure when the other two employees would arrive that day. The store she worked at was fairly small and didn't need to have more than three employees working for the day. All Rainbow Dash knew was that they would be coming from around 9:30 to 9:45.

It didn't really matter though, she just wanted today to be over. Because, tonight she was going to have another sleepover at Pinkie's. They were planning on hanging out all weekend including at night, and Pinkie really wanted to host a sleepover. Rainbow had forgotten to clear her schedule that weekend, so she found out the day of the sleepover she would have work today. After that she would be free the rest of the weekend.

Author's Note:

I just want to say I've been trying to write stories for a long time and this will be my very first published one so if you could please tell me your opinion that would be greatly appreciated. Please don't be afraid to point out any mistakes I made or anything in the future I could improve upon! Thank you.

-SprayPaintPony