• Published 12th Aug 2018
  • 2,334 Views, 56 Comments

A Small Secret - OneBrainCellLeft



Rainbow Dash is at work when her friends stop by to see how she is. When a small secret of hers sorta slips out...

  • ...
1
 56
 2,334

Chapter 8 - Not A Morning Person (EDITED)

"Whaaaat?" Rarity said. "What makes you think that?"

"Because, I know you both too well." Rainbow responded.

"Fine, you caught us." Applejack said. "There may or may not be a few more bets tonight."

"You two have a problem." Rainbow said.

"Nevermind that! You like him!" Rarity said the last part of her statement in a sing-song voice.

"U-uh I think we established that." Rainbow gritted her teeth as she blushed furiously.

"You know, I'm surprised that you fessed up. I thought it'd take you, maybe a week. At least before you even started talking about him again." Applejack said.

"Well, I figured you guys would be on my case the whole time, and there was probably no chance in heck that I'd change your minds so..." Rainbow trailed off.

"Fair enough." Applejack responded.

"So, what're we doing first?" Pinkie Pie suddenly asked.

"What'd you mean?" Rainbow said confused.

"You didn't think we would just let you off the hook, did you? We're gonna help you." Twilight said.

"Help me with, what exactly?" Rainbow asked. She still wasn't sure what they meant.

"We are going to help you win him over! Shouldn't be that hard." Rarity explained.

"Uh guys, th-that's really not necessary!" Dash responded.

"Yes it is." Everyone else said in unison.

"F-fine, just...don't go overboard." Rainbow Dash replied. After Rainbow said that her friends started to celebrate a little early. They were just excited.

"We need to give you a makeover!" Rarity exclaimed. "We'll fix your hair, makeup, paint your nails, this will be so much fun!"

"Uh, I never agreed to that." Rainbow responded as Rarity squealed in enthusiasm.

"Rainbow, when you agreed to letting us help you, I assumed that meant we had full access to your wardrobe...choices." Rarity added at the end after she thought about the fact Rainbow probably wouldn't have anything makeover worthy with her.

"Celestia help me..." Rainbow muttered under her breath.

"Also, you're wardrobe can make for a, good conversation topic." Rarity commented.

"Wa-wait, you mean talk to him?" Rainbow asked concerned.

"Well, of course. What else would I have meant by having a conversation?" Rarity asked.

"I can't just, go up and talk to him!" Rainbow said.

"Why not?" Sunset asked.

"I don't know if you've noticed, but I look like an idiot every time he's in the general vicinity." Rainbow said sarcastically.

"Why's that?" Twilight asked with a sly grin on her face.

"I'm not explaining this to you." Rainbow said embarrassed.

"Trust me Rainbow, coming from someone who gets nervous all the time, the best way to get over it is to do whatever it is that's making you nervous." Fluttershy said.

"I don't get nervous, I uh...just..." Rainbow said trying to dismiss the idea that anything would actually make her feel uncomfortable like that.

"Sure, you don't." Pinkie said sarcastically.

"So, are we going to start your makeover now or...what?" Rarity said out of nowhere.

"Rarity, I hate to burst your bubble, but it's the middle of the night. We'll be asleep in a couple of hours, and why bother if it's just gonna get messed up?" Rainbow said, mostly because she wanted to avoid this for as long as she could.

"She makes a good point." Twilight admitted.

"Fine. We'll do it tomorrow. But, you have to keep up your end of the deal. That's why, I want you to 'Pinkie Promise' me." Rarity said.

"Okay, okay, I get it. Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye. We good now?" Rainbow Dash responded.

"It's settled then, tomorrow morning." Rarity said.

The girls decided to stay up for a little while longer; playing board games and cards to pass the time. Eventually they all agreed to go to bed. Little did Rainbow know that her friends were busy planning away as she slept.


Rainbow awoke the next morning; tired and disheveled she sat up and looked around the room.

Rarity was busy putting her makeup on. Twilight appeared to be struggling to keep her hair in her, normally perfect, bun. Applejack looked to be waiting on the two them. Pinkie and Fluttershy were nowhere to be seen, and Sunset was sitting a few feet away from her; half asleep as well.

"Well look who, finally decided to join us." Applejack said as Rainbow blinked to focus her eyes better. Rainbow groaned at the first sign of sunlight in the room. She wasn't exactly a morning person.

"Oh, and just in time too! Now that I'm finished getting ready I can begin to work on you." Rarity said enthusiastically.

"What?" Rainbow asked confusedly.

"Last night you promised we could give you a makeover!" Pinkie Pie said as she jumped through the door just for that moment.

"Oh right." Rainbow mumbled.

"You're not really much of a morning person are ya'?" Applejack asked her. Rainbow groaned again as a response. Fluttershy than walked back into the room and said, "She never has been. When had sleepovers when we were little I think the earliest she ever got up was 10:30." The rest of the girls just chuckled at this, except Sunset. Her brain wasn't really fully comprehending their conversation right now, despite being awake for half an hour. Rainbow had put her face back in the pillow on the floor at this point and wanted nothing more than to go back to sleep. She mumbled a faint, "I wanna go back to sleep." With Sunset promptly responding, "I feel you."

"Will you two please get up already? We don't have much time before we leave." Rarity said.

"Leave? For what? There's no school, parents, or teachers to talk to at this time." Rainbow said.

"Don't you remember? Last night we made plans to go miniature golfing." Rarity explained.

"I don't remember anything past 1:30." Rainbow admitted.

"Seriously?" Pinkie exclaimed suddenly. It startled Fluttershy a little.

"Mm-hm." Rainbow nodded her head even as her face was pressed into the pillow.

"Rainbow that's what I like to call, 'sleep deprivation'." Twilight said.

"Doesn't matter, we need to start getting you ready. So whether you like it or not, you're getting up." Rarity said stubbornly.

"We could always go golfing in the afternoon...or night." Rainbow trailed off. This gained a few laughs from her friends, and a thumbs-up approval from Sunset who was still struggling to keep her eyes open.

"I'm serious, we can't be late!" Rarity scolded.

"Late? It's not like it's an appointment. We can choose to go golfing whenever we want. It's not on some schedule." Rainbow responded.

"Come on, you promised." Rarity reminded her.

"Ugh. I did." Rainbow slowly sat up, blinked a few times, and finally stood up.

"Good, we'll start with hair." Rarity began.

"This is going to be a long day." Rainbow sighed to herself. Applejack and Sunset, despite her still being exhausted, could only laugh at Rainbow's misery.

Rarity decided not to do a whole lot with her hair. She straightened a few pieces here and there that she felt needed it, and then finished with a bit of her hair, in the front, being parted off to the side. It was mostly still her naturally wavy hair, with just a little sprucing up. Her hair also held a bit of volume all on it's own, which definitely made it a little bouncier.