• Published 5th May 2018
  • 2,560 Views, 83 Comments

Me and My Siren - Rune Soldier Dan



Slice-of-life adventures of Adagio and Applejack's unlikely romance.

  • ...
14
 83
 2,560

Pets and Reconciliation

The walk to the shelter was slow, and Adagio wasn’t making it any faster.

“Why am I coming?” she asked. She flicked out her hair, a gesture Applejack had learned signified the wall of airy dismissal Adagio placed between herself and the world.

Applejack had already explained three times, but patience was her strong suit. “Because getting y’all to at least tolerate each other is going to be a mighty important step forward. And of all my friends, Fluttershy’s got it in for you worst of all.”

Another flick of the hair. “I’ll accept an apology. She threatened me.”

“Because she thought you were threatening me,” Applejack gently reminded. “And you didn’t do yourself no favors by kicking that cat.”

The words brought a fanged grin – not the response intended. “It was hilarious! She was all smoochy-woochy-coochie-pie and I was all ‘punt!’ It’s ironic and offensive comedy. Not my fault she can’t take a joke.”

“A joke to you is animal cruelty to her.” Applejack’s smile weakened as it dawned that this might be a terrible idea. No going back now. “Look, I know there are two sides to this. I’ve gotta say you’ve made a lot of progress with the whole ‘humans aren’t your plaything’ angle, and I’m right proud of you.”

Adagio cooed, draping an arm around Applejack and kissing her cheek.

The distraction failed. “But animals ain’t, neither. And I don’t mind noting that doing things expressly because my friends find them horrifying ain’t a good way to make this relationship last. Y’all don’t have to be best buds, but you gotta be able to stand in the same room together. That’s why this seems best – we got a job to do, so hopefully you and her will be able to get used to each other while not really having to talk.”

A bark from between them got a chuckle from Applejack. “See? Winona agrees.”

Adagio rolled her eyes as another bark emerged, but she followed its order to scratch the dog’s ears. Winona loved Adagio. Winona also loved skunks, rainstorms, and eating poop, so it wasn’t much of an honor.

A doorbell chimed as they entered their destination. The nostalgic odor of fur and hay swept their senses, strangely at odds with the spotless white floors and burgundy counters. The shelter ran a tight ship, doubtless thanks to its most committed volunteer.

Fluttershy was a different person in the shelter. She bloomed in the company of animals, greeting Applejack with a boisterous, “Hello, and...”

Her eyes found Adagio, and the voice became flat. “...Welcome.”

Applejack forged ahead, determined to head off any tension. “Hey, Flutters. Reckon we got some business for you today.”

“Oh?” That at least pulled Fluttershy’s glare into a questioning look to her friend.

“Yeah,” Applejack nodded. “Here for a dog. Fact of the matter is we’re all out and about more than we used to be. I’ve got work and school, Granny and Mac are trying to take our business all over the state, and I reckon Bloom spends more time at Rarity’s than home.”

“Doesn’t seem that way to me,” Adagio grumbled, too softly to hear.

Applejack went on. “You know Winona. She’s a love bug, and she gets mighty sad when no one’s home or we’re too busy to give her attention. Been bad enough this last week for her to whine all night till someone gets up with her. I’m hoping a little brother or sister might be just what the doctor ordered.”

“Aw, you poor thing!” Fluttershy beckoned Winona, who cheerfully abandoned her master and companion of eight years for the woman with the treats. “Any other problems with her? Any

Injuries?”

Freaky, how Fluttershy’s warmth could freeze over the course of two short words and a glance towards Adagio.

Applejack cut in, proving yet again she wasn’t some oblivious hayseed. “Adagio’s here to help me out. Any new pet will have to get along with her, too. And Flutters, she’s come a darn long way behind our backs and I’d be mighty grateful if you could treat her decently.”

A dozen added barbs came to mind, and Adagio let them fall without voice. There was a time for cruel humor, and a time to not actively sabotage your peacemaking girlfriend. Fluttershy’s cool expression told she was far from convinced, but she righted herself and gave a shrug. “Follow me, then. The dogs are over here. I’m sure we’ll have a great friend for her in no time.”


Applejack had a very specific list of needs that sent her first three examined dogs back to their kennels. The animal would have to be sociable with Winona, energetic enough to be a playmate, but not so energetic they’d tear the house apart chasing each other.

Enough time passed that Adagio sought directions to the toilet – main area, second door from the dog room. What Fluttershy didn’t clarify was that came after the room broke into a side passage. The open door brought not the anticipated relief, but a plain cell with a table, chair, and a few worn felt toys scattered around. A “meeting room,” where human and animal could interact in private.

No humans, but one such animal remained. A long, calico-patterned cat eyed the intruder from its table and gave a yawning meow in challenge.

“No dice with the humans, huh kitty?”

Uninterested, but in no hurry to return to Fluttershy’s breathing space, Adagio closed the distance. “There’s a giant sign out there saying to bring animals back to their cage, but I guess some people can’t read. C’mere, you.”

She scratched the cheek, and the cat purred. She kept scratching as it leaned into her hand, and three seconds later it bit.

“Ow, stupid – hey!” Adagio winced and pulled free, bending to examine the damage. The cat seized the moment to leap onto her head. A rustle and turn brought its hind legs to brace against her shoulders, with the body curled triumphantly over her crown.

“Down kitty,” Adagio said, expecting obedience.

The cat meowed defiantly at the woman who had clearly never owned a cat.

“The products in this hair are worth more than your life, and I spent more time with it this morning than your catmom spent birthing you. Get down.”

Another meow came, as well as a purring rumble that massaged Adagio’s head and neck. Paws kneaded at her precious curls as the cat wiggled into a relaxed position.

Grumbling a few curses, Adagio leaned forwards. With its body mass behind her head, the cat sat unfazed.

Grumbling a few more, she leaned backwards over the table. That got a discomfited meow at least, but the paws braced and remained firm.

“Cat, this is disgusting!” Adagio jerked her head to each side, winning nothing but a yawn from her adversary. “You bury poop with those paws. Get off right now.”

Another meow. Adagio reached up and grabbed it from the sides, finally starting the brawl in earnest. The cat yelped and tried to hang on, but size and strength brought it off and around to hang nose-to-nose with the triumphant siren. Adagio grinned angrily, glaring down into its eyes. “Alright you...”

“Adagio? Where are...”

Her breath caught, and the grin froze on her face. Of course Applejack had come looking, perhaps prompted by the suspicious Fluttershy.

Fluttershy, now standing a half-step behind the confused girlfriend. Watching Adagio’s uncomfortable gripping of a cat with the look of measuring her for a coffin.

“What are you doing with Makoto?” Fluttershy asked, very quietly.

Adagio wanted to explain. Applejack would understand, hopefully. But Fluttershy would believe the worst unless she spun it really well.

Mind racing, her pained grin turned back to the cat, seeking answers in its…

...Red eyes. Kind of cool.

The cat leaned in, sniffed twice, and brushed its nose to hers.

Adagio rolled with it. She hugged the cat closer, rubbing her nose back in turn. “She’s such a cutie! I saw her in the room and couldn’t stand to leave her all awone.”

The cat purred affectionately, taking advantage of the close contact to scamper along her shoulder and reclaim its spot in her hair.

Adagio fancied she heard a cracking as Fluttershy’s ice disintegrated. She stared at the cat-siren combo, the frown gliding over two seconds to a delighted squeal. “That’s so cute! I’ve never seen Makoto warm up to someone like that. She’s always been kind of a bully who has to get what she wants.”

“She does that, alright,” Adagio said with a wry smile. The purring rumble returned, massaging all the way down her neck.

Applejack pushed up her hat. “Mighty nice, but we’re looking for a playmate for Winona.”

Massage or no, it was time for Adagio to bail. “I know, right? It’s such a shame my apartment can’t do pets. And Applejack needs a dog, so – too bad! I love the little girl.”

“Dogs and cats can be playmates,” Fluttershy announced with cheer, sending cold water through Adagio’s veins. “Applejack, go get Winona. We can have them meet here.”


Adagio remembered a time when all humans believed in destiny. These days, most of them thought it was hogwash.

A creature of magic from a world of prophecies and crystal balls, destiny for Adagio was a real, half-tangible thing. She didn’t believe in it, she knew it to be real. The bizarre and unfortunate was sometimes meant to be.

And so, it was with resignation instead of disappointment that she watched Winona and Makoto get along fabulously. The cat may have been a bully among its kind, but the same actions were play to a dog. It would swat back Winona’s licks, chase her and be chased, and tussle with her before the pair collapsed with one over the other.

A few days would be needed for the paperwork and vaccinations. As Applejack handled Winona into her carrier, Makoto sauntered up to Adagio and meowed for affection. Maroon and red eyes engaged in a brief contest of wills, which ended inevitably with Adagio scratching its chin.

For three seconds. Then it bit.

“Ow! Mixed signals, much?” she snarled, then caught herself at Fluttershy’s stare.

But the ice didn’t re-freeze. She walked over to sit next to Adagio, cooing as she stroked Makoto’s tail. “Cats bite to show affection.”

“Huh.” A hole in Adagio’s knowledge, filled. She chuckled, turning a leer on Applejack at the right moment to see her bend over. “I get that.”

The cat rubbed itself on Fluttershy’s hand, though of course it didn’t bite her. “You should probably discourage her from climbing on your head. They bury poop with those paws. Aside from that, it was...”

Fluttershy shuffled in place, and gave a little squeak even Adagio found cute. “Kind of… nice to see you like that. I’m sorry about earlier. I should have given you a fair chance.”

“And I should have given you a reason to,” Adagio sighed. Honestly, the reconciliation was more for Applejack’s sake than hers, but she weirdly felt a little better for it.

She rubbed her hand along Makoto’s side, eliciting the now-traditional purr and bite. Not so bad.