• Published 10th Apr 2018
  • 1,684 Views, 25 Comments

The Magic of Dueling - CrystalQueen



A story where a human saves Equestria from destruction by playing an obnoxiously complex children's trading card game

  • ...
6
 25
 1,684

Chapter 1: Enter Red Rocket

Author's Note:

Alright, first crack at writing, roast me

And yes, I know Ring of Destruction got errata'd to the point of useslessness, but the only other way I could think to end the Duel Turn 2 was to have Red use a Trap card that can be activated from the hand if you inflict at least 5000 damage in one turn to Link Summon Topologic Bomber during the Battle Phase

It was a normal day in Ponyville, one like any other. The birds were singing, the flowers were blooming, and a human was commanding a small battalion of gem-encrusted knights to beat the shit out of Princess Luna in the middle of downtown Ponyville.

“Gem-Knight Master Diamond! Attack her Vampire Lord!”
LUNA: 8000 LP > 6800 LP

“Ha...haha! I have won! Your only monster has already used up all its attacks! Now to elaborate, I hold the Raigeki and Monster Reborn cards in my hand, so on my next turn-”

“There isn’t going to be a next turn! Now I activate my Fusion Cancel Quick Play! This nullifies a Fusion Monster on the field, then if all the monsters used to summon it are in my Graveyard, I can Special Summon them!"

"Wait, what!?"

"I return Gem-Knight Master Diamond to my Extra Deck, and from the Graveyard, I special Summon Gem-Knights Garnet, Tourmaline, and Emerald!”
(Level 4, 1900 ATK 0 DEF)
(Level 4, 1600 ATK 1800 DEF)
(Level 4, 1800 ATK 800 DEF)
“Battle! Gem-Knight Garnet attacks directly! Flaming Iron Fist!”
LUNA 6800 LP -> 4900 LP
“Now Gem-Knight Tourmaline attacks directly! Thunder Cracker!”
LUNA 4900 LP -> 3300 LP
“Gem-Knight Emerald attacks directly! Emerald Flash!”
LUNA 3300 LP -> 1500 LP
"Now, time to finish this! I activate my face down card, Pyroxene Fusion!"

"I-is that a Fusion Trap Card!?"

"That's right! Pyroxene Fusion lets me Fusion Summon a Gem-Knight Fusion Monster from my Extra Deck by sending materials from my hand or field to the Graveyard! I refuse my Gem-Knights Garnet, Tourmaline and Emerald back into Gem-Knight Master Diamond!"
(Level 9, 2900 ATK 2500 DEF)
"And you know what the best part is? His effect isn't negated anymore, so he 100 ATK for each Gem-Knight in my Graveyard! (Gem-Knight Master Diamond 2900 ATK -> 3200 ATK) Gem-Knight Master Diamond! Direct attack! Royal Radiance!"
LUNA 1500 LP -> 0 LP

“No… Sister...I’ve failed you...I’ve failed...Equestria…”

“NO------O!” Shouted Twilight, tears rolling down her face.

However, despite everything happening around her, a pink bubbly mare was looking off to the side, supposedly talking to herself.

“Hi! I’m Pinkie Pie! Now you’re probably wondering ‘Wait, why is Princess Luna dueling some random human in the middle of Ponyville when she should be off in Canterlot doing princess-y things and Equestria doesn’t have humans OR dueling?' Well, that’s actually a funny story! It all started a few days ago when Starlight Glimmer was trying to teach her friend Trixie teleportation spells in Twilight’s reeeeeeeeealy big castle!”
***********************************************************************

“Alright, Trixie” said Starlight, using her levitation magic to place two cups of differing colors on her nightstand. “Today we’re going to be teleporting objects outside our vision. Now, the last time we tried teleporting things, you wound up teleporting the Cutie Map to the Ponyville Spa, so this time we’re going to just be teleporting cups on my nightstand to just outside the room, okay?”

“Oh please, the Great and Powerful TRRRRIXIE can learn any spell that will help her performances!”

“Right, so, first you want to focus on the object you’re trying to teleport, then you want to focus on where you want to teleport it to.” Explained the Pink unicorn, her horn glowing a soft blue as she focused her magical capabilities, afterwards, the red cup vanished from sight. “Alright Trixie, now you try it.”

“Oh please Starlight, this will be easy! Watch!” Flaunted the blue unicorn as her horn lit up a soft pink as she focused her magic. “Aaaaaand… TELEPORT!” shouted Trixie, as the cup shattered into pieces. “What!? But how did-!?”

“Trixie, how many times do I have to tell you? Magic doesn’t work like that. You can’t just shout whatever you’re thinking and have it happen. You have to focus, control your breathing, and relax, then you can teleport in, and out, in, and out, in-” explained Starlight, effortlessly teleporting the cup back to its original spot on her nightstand.

“Hey Starlight!” shouted Spike, slamming Starlight’s door open and making a loud racket. Starlight screamed at the sudden noise, with the cup flying out the window, with another magical blast following it, and a loud thud, while occurring, went unnoticed. “Oh, I’m sorry, were you guys doing something?”

“Uh, yeah, I was trying to teach Trixie how to teleport things, what is it?”

“Oh, well, I know it’s your day off, but Twilight needs your help at the Friendship school, she’s seriously backed up on paperwork and Fluttershy is out sick, can you help out today?”

“Oh, alright, but only for today. Sorry Trixie, I know we’ve been planning this for quite some time, but, duty calls, heh heh!”

“Oh, it’s alright Starlight, I’m already Great and Powerful, Trixie can add teleportation spells to her arsonal whenever she wants.” As Starlight and Spike ran off to Twilight’s Friendship School, Trixie heard a voice from just outside the window.

“Ow! I-is this a teacup?”

“Huh? Well, I guess that cup fell on somepony's head, it’ll be fine, but now, Trixie thinks it’s time to treat herself to Princess Twilight’s refrigerator before that nosy dragon gets back.”


****************************************************************


“Yes!” said a man as he broke the ceiling tile and dropped to the floor of a dark room filled with vaults. “Alright! It’s my lucky night! Let’s see what Security’s been confiscating this month!” said the man as he broke the lock on one of the vaults. “Let’s see here...E-HEROes, Arcana Force, Vehicroids, ooh! Cyberse! I think I’ll keep that for myself…” He said, putting all the decks of Duel Monsters cards he was stealing into his backpack, except for the last deck he stole, which he put in a deck box strapped to his leg. “Nekroz...Batteryman...woah, Cyberse! Man, this haul is amazing!”

***************************************************************
“Well, I must be going, good luck on the night shift, rookie.” said an older officer to a young officer in a brightly lit hallway.

“Yes sir! Thank you for showing me the ropes around here, Captain Engelhart sir!”

“Now, let me tell you something, rookie. These past few months, we’ve had a number of break-ins and card thefts, all done by the same guy.” said the captain

“That’s the Red Rocket, right? People have been saying several things about him, such as how he re-sells the cards that we’ve worked so hard to confiscate from criminals.”

“Well I am not going to stand for it anymore! Here’s my plan to finally catch this punk and send a message to anyone else who would dare to interfere in the agenda of Sector-C’s Security Force!”

“Is he always ranting about this Red Rocket guy…?” The rookie Security Officer thought to himself.

*************************************************************************************
“Well, I’d say looting 8 vaults worth of cards is enough, these are just cards, but I still have to be able to get back to the shop without getting caught.” he thought to himself before putting his backpack back on and grabbing the board wedged in between his red hoodie and red shirt which resembled a skateboard without wheels. “Now let’s see…” the man slipped on his red tinted goggles, and saw that the entire hallway in front of him was covered with infrared lasers that would surely alert Security. “No other way out, thankfully I have a new Riding Duel Deck.” he thought to himself before setting down his board and stepping on top of it, causing it to begin levitating. He then kicked as if he were on a skateboard, and his hoverboard began to accelerate at a high velocity. As he flew through the infrared lasers, a loud siren went off. “Heh, Security’s bound to be sending out some Riding Duelists to catch me, this should be fun!” the man thought as he sped up and took a right turn when he came to an intersection.

“And that’s when we spring the trap, finally catching him once and for-” Engelhart was saying, before a Red blur rushed by his face.

“Sir, was that-”

“The Red Rocket! Don’t let him escape you slow piece of shit!”
As Red sped up, he could hear the sirens of Security D-Wheels and car alarms.
“Don’t let him escape! He’s broken into the card vault and is making off with countless cards!” Shouted Engelhart over the PA System on his Duel Disk. As Red was making his escape, he looked back to see that a motorcycle and a car were being used used to chase him. “Heh, a D-Wheel and a cop car? That’s it? Man, they must be really short staffed tonight. Oh well, all the easier!”

“Shit! The captain’s going to be pissed if we let him get away! He’s been chasing this guy for months!” thought the officer pursuing on the bike. “In that case-! Requesting permission to initiate Riding Duel!” he shouted into the microphone in his helmet.

“Permission granted! Take him down, and the captain will be sure to take notice!” responded the officer in the passenger seat of the car.

“This bastard-! He thinks he can just waltz in and steal our cards-! We, the Sector-C Branch Security will put you to justice and make you atone for your crimes!” thought the Officer on his D-Wheel “Speed World! Imposed Activation!” and with the press of a button, a straight bar of hard light appeared over the console of his D-Wheel, and with the activation of Speed World, everything in the surrounding area became bathed in a purple coloring.

“Well, you want to pick a fight with me? The Red Rocket!? Well, by forcing a Riding Duel, you’ll reduce my speed, guess it’s the only way for you to keep up!” exclaimed Red, as the Duel Disk on his arm activated, its blade swinging from being perpendicular to the deck slot on the other side to in front of him, then extending to possess all 5 Zones. DUEL MODE ON-AUTO PILOT STANDBY. Read the Duel Disk and Security’s D-Wheel, as the playing field appeared between the two of them.

“Red Rocket! I, Officer Mandler, will defeat you and get a promotion after I take you in! Be prepared to kiss your freedom goodbye!”

“Heh, you must be new! Get ready for your next hazing, you bastard! Try to keep up! Oh, and to keep it short, just call me Red!”
DUEL

RED: 8000 LP 0 SPC
MANDLER 8000 LP 0 SPC


“I’ll take the first turn!” Aggravatedly shouted Mandler “I’ll start by Normal Summoning Gate Blocker in Defence Position!"
(Level 4, 100 ATK 2000 DEF)
"And now I set three cards and end my turn!” following this, three giant sized cards appeared before his D-Wheel.

“It’s my turn! I draw!” declared Red.

RED 8000 LP 0 SPC
MANDLER 8000 LP 1 SPC

“Great, Gate Blocker, just what I wanted to deal with…”

“Heh! When Gate Blocker is face up on the field, the opponent can’t gain any counters! Including Speed Counters for Speed World!” gloated Mandler. “And that’s not all!” he thought to himself. “My face down cards are Mirror Force, which will destroy all your Attack Position Monsters if you try to declare an attack, Heavy Storm Duster to take out any Trap Cards you try to set, and Skill Drain, so not even your monster effects will save you! And with Gate Blocker stopping you from using Speed Spells, you’re completely locked down! And even then, if I can just get 3 more Speed Counters than you, I’ll be able to knock you off that puny little D-Board of yours! I’m not sure who customized a hybrid model for you that’s capable of keeping up with a D-Wheel, but it’s still incredibly frail in comparison! That promotion is mine for sure!”

“First, when I control no monsters, I can Special Summon Linkslayer from my hand!" Red shouted as he placed a card from his hand on his Duel Disk's blade, as it glowed a rainbow color and a recreation of the monster on the card appeared from a blue portal beside him
(Level 5, 2000 ATK 600 DEF)
"Now, when I control a Cyberse Monster, I can Special Summon Backup Secretary from my hand!"
(Level 3, 1200 ATK 800 DEF)
"Now I Normal Summon Cyberse Wizard!"
(Level, 1800 ATK 800 DEF)
"When I Normal Summon a Cyberse monster, I can Special Summon Boot Staggered from my hand!"
(Level 5, 2300 ATK 500 DEF)
“Battle Phase! Boot Staggered attacks Gate Blocker!” shouted Red.

“I activate my face down! Mirror Force! When an opponent’s monster declare an attack, Mirror Force will destroy all attack position monsters the opponent controls!” Mandler responded

“Yeah, well have I got a treat for you! I activate Red Reboot from my hand!”

“What!? A Trap card from the hand!?” responded Mandler.

“Red Reboot can be activated from the hand by paying half of your Life Points!”
RED 8000 LP -> 4000 LP
“It negates the activation of your Trap card and prevents you from activating other Traps this turn!”

“What!? But wait! You forgot the other effect of Red Reboot! I get to set a Trap from my deck!” responded Mandler. “I set Call of the Haunted from my deck!”

“The battle continues! Boot Staggered, attack Gate Blocker! Stagger Launcher!” With his command, Boot Staggered launched a blob of what appeared to be networking information at Gate Blocker, with the wall shattering like a giant mirror.
“Now you’re wide open! Linkslayer attacks directly!” Linkslayer generated giant claws from its hands and slashed viciously at Mandler, causing him to slow down dramatically.
MANDLER 8000 LP -> 6000 LP SPC 1 -> SPC 0
“Alright! Now that it’s even again, Backup Secretary attacks directly!”
MANDLER 6000 LP -> 4800 LP
“Now Cyberse Wizard attacks! Cyberse Algorithm!”
MANDLER 4800 LP -> 3000 LP
“Now, on to Main Phase 2! Appear! The guiding circuit that leads me to victory! Arrowheads confirmed! The Summoning conditions are 2 or more Effect Monsters! I set Boot Staggered, Linkslayer, Backup Secretary, and Cyberse Wizard in the Link Markers! Circuit Combine! LINK SUMMON!”
As Red was explaining this, the screens on his Duel Disk and Mandler’s D-Wheel showed that to summon his Link Monster, 4 monsters were needed with an animation of his monsters flying into the border around the monster he was about to summon.
“Appear! Link 4! Topologic Bomber Dragon!"
(Link 4, 3000 ATK, ,,,)” With the appearance of Red’s giant dragon, Mandler felt a great deal of iminent pain incoming.
“Now I set one card face down and end my turn!” this caused a giant card to appear face down in front of him, which then disappeared.

“Well, too bad you won’t be able to use it! I draw, and during the Draw Phase, I activate my face down Heavy Storm Duster!” Mandler pressed a button on his D-Wheel’s dash board, right below the hard light playing field, which caused the Heavy Storm Duster Trap Card to appear beside his D-Wheel. “Heavy Storm Duster lets me target and destroy up to 2 Spells or Traps you control, and while this comes at the cost of my Battle Phase, it’s well worth it!”

“Sorry, but I’m ending the duel now! I chain my face down card: Ring of Destruction!” as Red pressed a button on the back of his Duel Disk, his face down reappeared and flipped to reveal itself as the Ring of Destruction Trap Card. “Ring of Destruction lets me target one monster on the field, and then both players take damage equal to its Attack value!”

“Wait, the only monster the field is your 3000 Attack Topologic Bomber Dragon, so that means-!”

“Well of course! Why else would I wait until Main Phase 2 to summon Topologic Bomber?” as he was explaining his strategy, a giant ring lined with grenades appeared and locked itself around Topologic Bomber Dragon’s neck, which struggled to remove the ring. However, this struggle proved useless, as immediately afterwards, the grenades all detonated simultaneously, causing an explosion that both players got caught in, while also destroying the Dragon.
RED 4000 LP-> 1000 LP
MANDLER 3000 LP -> 0 LP

“N-no! My promotion-!”

“Ha! Nobody can catch me, the Red Rocket-oh shit!” Red started to shout at Mandler and the other Security Officers before turning at the last second to avoid crashing into a building at the end of the street.

“Yes! He’s going down Ogre Street! That place is a dead end! There’s no escape now you little rat!” the Officers in the car shouted

“Alright, now I just gotta take the turn off and...Oh fuck! I went right! I’m on Ogre Street! Unless I can manage to turn around and jump over them, I’m cornered! Well that’s just what I’m gonna have to do!” Red thought to himself as he increased the speed on his D-Board, no longer confined by the rules of a Riding Duel. “100 KM/H...120 KM/H...140 KM/H…” Red thought to himself as he was looking at his Duel Disk’s screen to see how fast he was going, when suddenly, what appeared to be a portal opened up at the dead end brick wall.

“What the hell is that!?” Shouted Red, turning his D-Board to the side to try and stop, but it was too late, his momentum carried him through the portal before Security could see it.

“What the fuck!? Where did he go!? This is a dead end road! Search for him! He has to be hiding somewhere! Leave no stone unturned!” shouted one officer at the other.

“Captain Engelhart is going to be so pissed at me...But still, how was I supposed to know he’d have just THE perfect hand to OTK me!? I mean, Red Reboot? Ring of Destruction? He must have stacked his deck! Yes, that’s the only way he’d have a perfect hand!”

“Officer Mandler! What the fuck was that a show of!?” shouted Engelhart, having just arrived in a squad car.

“C-Captain Engelhart! I-I can explain-! He was cheating! He must have stacked his deck so that he could-” Mandler tried to explain before getting a punch to the face.

“The reason you lost is because you are a disgrace to the art of Turbo Dueling, numbnuts! Give me your badge!”

“W-Wait, Captain Engelhart-”

“I have been chasing that fugitive for 9 months, shit for brains! I planted all those cards to try and make him steal so many we’d catch him before he even left the building! Now give me your badge this instant or I swear to God almighty I will drag you to the jail house and I will be your judge, jury and executioner!”

**************************************************************************

As Red traveled through the portal, he could feel himself slowing down, as if it was waiting for him to lose all accumulated speed from the previous getaway. Red landed on the ground below him with a loud thud, he felt sore from it but felt that none of his bones were broken, with a teacup appearing out of nowhere and landing on his head.

“Ow! I-is this a teacup?”

“Huh? Well, I guess that cup fell on somepony's head, it’ll be fine, but now, Trixie thinks it’s time to treat herself to Princess Twilight’s refrigerator before that dragon gets back.”