• Published 10th Apr 2018
  • 1,684 Views, 25 Comments

The Magic of Dueling - CrystalQueen



A story where a human saves Equestria from destruction by playing an obnoxiously complex children's trading card game

  • ...
6
 25
 1,684

Chapter 6: Midnight Duels

Author's Note:

Well, fuck, I set a deadline for myself and wound up late

Never write fanfiction unless you have computer access kids, phones should be used as a supplement for a computer, not a replacement for computers

“Everybody listen!” Shouted the MC in a Riding Duel Arena. “Our final Duel of the day is entering its final stage! The challenger, the Red Rocket, has his infamous White Dragon Ninja/Safe Zone combo up, but the reigning champion, Yusei Fudo looks like he’s about to make a spectacular comeback!”

“It’s my turn! I draw!” Yusei shouted, the crowd cheering on whichever Duelist they were hoping to win, half of them cheering for Yusei, the other half chanting Red’s name. Yusei drew his card and slowly turned it over to see what it was. “Junk Synchron, perfect. Thank you, my deck.”

YUSEI 1000 LP 12 SPC
RED 200 LP 12 SPC

“First, I Normal Summon my level 3 Tuner, Junk Synchron!” Yusei shouted.
(Level 3, Tuner, 1300 ATK 500 DEF)
“Junk Synchron’s effect lets me Special Summon a level 2 or lower monster from my Graveyard when he’s Normal Summoned by negating its effect! I revive my Speed Warrior!"
(Level 2, 900 ATK 400 DEF)
"Now, I Tune my level 3 Junk Synchron with my level 1 Sonic Chick, level 1 Tuningware being treated as level 2 by his own effect, and level 2 Speed Warrior! Clustering wishes will become a new shining star! Become the path its light shines upon! Synchro Summon! Take flight! Stardust Dragon!"
(Level 8, 2500 ATK 2000 DEF)
"Now! It’s time to bring out my absolute last resort!”

“Wait, does that mean you’re going to-”

“I’m Tuning my Level 2 Synchro Tuner Formula Synchron with my Level 2 Synchro Monster T.G Recipro Dragonfly and my Level 8 Synchro Monster Stardust Dragon! Oh stars who color the ancient skies!! Become the divine rain and purify this world!! Synchro Summon!! Level 12! Stardust Sifr Divine Dragon!”
(Level 12, 4000 ATK 4000 DEF)

“WOAH! Yusei has brought out his ultimate final boss monster, Stardust Sifr Divine Dragon!” The MC announced, standing on top of his desk out of excitement “Can Red’s D-Board even handle the power of Stardust Sifr Divine Dragon’s attack!? Quick, somebody get the paramedics on standby!”

“Battle Phase! My Stardust Sifr Divine Dragon will attack your White Dragon Ninja! Sorry Red, but your tournament journey was for nothing!”

“Oh, you think I’m gonna give up that easily Yusei? Here’s a card you’re all too familiar with, I call it my Scrap-Iron Scarecrow!”

“Well ain’t that unexpected! Scrap-Iron Scarecrow negates one attack before setting itself facedown again for the next turn, nice one!”

“He, thanks! I learned from the best after all!”

“Well, I end my turn!”

“Alright, it’s all riding on this next draw, I need the right cards in the right order, now come on deck, come on-!” Red thought before drawing for his turn, slowly turning it over in anticipation “Yes! I drew it!”

Yuesi 1000 LP 12 SPC
Red 200 LP 12 SPC

“First, I play my Speed Spell - Speed Greed! When I have 12 Speed Counters, I can draw 2 cards!” Red said, while thinking to himself “Come on come on come on come on come on! Angel Baton, that’s almost there, but the other one I need...” Red drew his second card, only to be ecstatic when he drew into it “Yes! It’s here! I activate my Speed Spell - Angel Baton! This card lets me draw 2 cards, then send one card from my hand to the Graveyard...Yes! I discard Makyura the Destructor, and when he’s sent from the field to the Graveyard, I can activate Trap Cards from my hand until the end of the turn!”

“WHAT!?”

“Now, from my hand, I activate Metalmorph, equipping it to my White Dragon Ninja!"
(White Dragon Ninja 2700 ATK -> 3000 ATK)
"Battle Phase! White Dragon Ninja attacks Stardust Sifr Divine Dragon!”

“But, wait, my Stardust Sifr Divine Dragon has 1000 more Attack than your White Dragon Ninja, what the hell is wrong with you?”

“When a monster equipped with Metalmorph attacks, it gains half the other monster’s ATK!”

“What the hell!?” (White Dragon Ninja 3000 ATK -> 5000 ATK)

“Go! Destroy his Stardust Sifr Divine Dragon! White Dragon Katana Slash!” Red’s Ninja jumped up to slash at Yusei’s dragon, but when it went to cut from the dragon’s head, the blade broke off and went flying into the air.

“The first time a card would be destroyed each turn, Stardust Sifr Divine Dragon stops that destruction!”

“Yes, but you still take the damage!” Just then, the broken katana shard fell from the sky and pierced Yusei through the abdomen, causing him to take battle damage.
YUSEI 1000 LP -> 0 LP
Just then, the screen on Yusei’s D-Wheel started flashing red with the word ‘LOSE’ in bolded white text as his D-Wheel came to a sudden stop, with Red speeding on by mere moments after he came to a stop

“Woah! Yusei has finally been defeated! Red is now the World Riding Duel King!” Shouted the M.C “Everyone, let’s give it up for our new King!”

“Red! Red! Red!” The crowd cheered. “Red! Red! Red!” Luna shouted, shaking Red to try and wake him up.

“Ugh...Wha…? Huh…?” Red muttered, waking up in the middle of the night, leaning up and getting a look at the mare who just woke him up. “...You’re not Yusei…”

“You...say? What? No matter, Red, you must come with me to Manehattan! I will explain the details on the chariot, but for now, you must-” Luna tried to explain the current predicament to Red, only to find he had fallen back asleep “Ugh, some creatures just can’t focus on the matter at hand…” Luna entered the Dream Realm and quickly found her way into Red’s dream

“Now Red, for winning the World Riding Duel Championship, I present to you this trophy, and this crown to represent your status as Riding Duel King.” Yusei said, handing Red a large trophy and putting a regal looking crown adorned with Duel Monster cards on his head “May you lead the world of Riding Duels to a bright future.”

“Red, I didn’t want to do this, but to wake you up, it appears to be necessary.” Luna said, having unexpectedly appearing out of nowhere with a bucket

“Oh hey Luna, you here to bask in my moment of glory? Hey what’s the bucket for-” Luna dumped the bucket of scalding hot water on Red, causing him to wake up while she returned to the waking world “AAAAA! Huh? I’m not hurt? Whatever, the fuck was that for!?”

“It is good that you have awoken, now come, we must make for Manehattan immediately! The fate of Equestria is at stake! I shall explain in the chariot! Now come, get your things and-is that a tapping on the window?”

“What? It shouldn’t be, this is Twilight’s third floor guestroom, let me see.” Red waited for another tap at the window before opening it to avoid getting what he presumed to be another pebble in his face and looked out to see what could be the cause of the noise, spotting a cloaked individual “Hey, you! Stop throwing rocks at my window! I’m trying to sleep!”

“Red! I challenge you to a Duel!”

“What? Look, Rainbow, it’s impressive that your voice can sound so masculine, but I’m not falling for your dumb pranks or attempts to Duel me at-” Red was interrupted when he saw the cloaked figure reveal a Duel Disk from the cloak on his left arm, a wing extending from the base of the Disk with the two rightmost Main Monster Zones appearing out from the blade with a bright red bulb in the wing’s center turning on to reveal dark Blue highlights along the edge of the blade and the entire Graveyard slot “An Obelisk Blue Academy Issue Duel Disk…!”

“Heh, looks like you know a thing or two about history!”

“Luna! Disk me!” Red held out his left arm as Luna levitated his Duel Disk onto his arm and activating it, with Red sticking it out the window as it switched into Duel Mode “This is no simple prank, I’m gonna kick your ass and find out who you are!”

DUEL

RED 8000 LP
HAND: 5
??? 8000 LP
HAND: 5

“I’ll go first!” The cloaked figure said “First, I activate my Graceful Charity Spell Card! This lets me draw 3 cards and discard 2! The first card I’m tossing is my Armed Dragon LV 3, and the second one is my Ojamagic!”

“Ojamas and Armed Dragons? What kind of idiot would run them together?” Red thought to himself

“When Ojamagic is sent from my hand or field to the Graveyard, I can add Ojama Yellow, Ojama Green, and Ojama Black from my deck to my hand! Now I Activate my Frontline Base Continuous Spell! Once per turn, I get to Special Summon a Union Monster from my hand! Now with Frontline Base, I Summon my W-Wing Catapult!"
(Level 4, Union, 1300 ATK 1500 DEF)
"Now I Normal Summon my V-Tiger Jet!"
(Level 4, 1600 ATK 1800 DEF)
"Now I’m going to fuse ‘em together! By Banishing V-Tiger Jet and W-Wing Catapult from my field, I can Fusion Summon my VW-Tiger Catapult without using Polymerization!"
(Level 6, 2000 ATK 2100 DEF)
"Now, I activate my Shard of Greed! Once per turn, during my Draw Phase, this card gets a Greed Counter, and when it has 2 of those, I can send it to the Graveyard to draw 2 cards! Now I set one card face down and call it a turn!”

“My turn! Draw!”

RED 8000 LP
HAND: 6
??? 8000 LP
HAND: 3

“Fuck.” Red thought to himself. “I don’t have any fusion cards or Alexandrite, so I can’t out his Tiger thing, and I can’t even defend against it, as if I set Sapphire, he’ll just discard one of his Ojamas to change its battle position, and Sapphire has 0 Attack so then he might as well be attacking me directly...I got it! I set a monster face down and end my turn.”

“Seriously? That's it? Whatever, on the End Phase I activate my Call of the Haunted Trap Card! This lets me Special Summon a Monster in my Graveyard in attack position! Come back! Armed Dragon LV 3!”
(Level 3, 1200 ATK 900 DEF)

“But wait, why do you keep referring to Armed Dragon’s level but not your other monsters?” Luna asked. “If levels are important for Synchro and XYZ plays, why are they not mentioned for all monsters?” Luna asked, poking her head through the window in order to see the Duel clearly.

“Because Armed Dragon is a LV monster, it has various evolutions as its level increases.” Red responded, gritting his teeth in anticipation of what he was expecting.

“Wait, a monster can increase its level?”

“That’s right! Now watch and I’ll show you how! My draw!”

RED 8000 LP
HAND: 5
??? 8000 LP
HAND: 4

“During the Draw Phase, my Shard of Greed gets a Greed Counter, and during the Standby Phase, I’ll send my Armed Dragon LV3 to the Graveyard and Special Summon my Armed Dragon LV5 from the deck!”
(Level 5, 2400 ATK 1700 DEF)

“Did his dragon just grow larger!?” Luna asked in shock.

“That's right, and it's also stronger! Now I activate my Pot of Greed! This card lets me draw two whole cards! I never did learn to share anyway! And now I Normal Summon my X-Head Cannon!"
(Level 4, 1800 ATK 1500 DEF)
"Lastly, with my Frontline Base Continuous Spell, I Special Summon my Y-Dragon Head!
(Level 4, Union, 1500 ATK 1600 DEF)
"Now, I'll use the Union effect of my Y-Dragon Head!”

“Union effect?” Luna asked, looking to Red for an explanation

“Union is a subtype of Monster card that has the effect to equip itself to, or ‘unite’ with another monster.” Red explained, wanting the Duel to resume as quickly as possible. “And he’s using some of the oldest ones around.”

“Are you two done with your little pep rally? My Y-Dragon Head’s Union effect lets me equip it to my X-Head Cannon, giving it an additional 400 points, and if X-Head Canon would be destroyed, I can destroy my Y-Dragon Head instead!"
(X-Head Cannon 1800 ATK -> 2200 ATK)
"Battle Phase! First, my Armed Dragon LV 5 attacks your face down monster!” Despite the massive vertical difference between Red and his opponent, the chubby dragon had no difficulty flying up to punch Red’s Gem-Knight Garnet as soon as it materialized from the card facing Twilight’s castle “Now, my VW-Tiger Jet and my X-Head Cannon attack directly!” Both of the cloaked figures metallic monsters fired a rapid volley of bullets in the general direction of Red, who had instinctively ducked behind the window, even though he knew there was no avoiding the massive loss of LP
RED 8000 LP -> 6000 LP -> 3600 LP

“Damn, that barrage almost felt like it was real, but Solid Vision with mass was only recently invented, it certainly wasn't a thing in Judai's-" Red said to himself, before noticing that several holes were now present in Twilight’s castle where there had previously been a solid wall “What the fuck …!? H-how'd you do that!? How'd you actually damage the surrounding environment with a Duel!?”

“It's Solid Vision, what other explanation could there be!?”

“Solid Vision is just a name, dipshit! There's no way your Disk could have the Solid Vision with mass program on it! Whatever, just finish your turn already!”

“Alright then, during the End Phase, because my Armed Dragon LV 5 destroyed a monster by battle, I send it to the Graveyard and Special Summon Armed Dragon LV 7 from my deck!"
(Level 7, 2800 ATK 1000 DEF)
"Now back to you!”

“Grr, I draw!”

RED 3600 LP
HAND: 6
??? 8000 LP
HAND: 3

“Fragment Fusion!?” Red thought to himself, while also scanning his hand, containing Gem-Knight Sapphire, Gem-Knight Emerald, Gem-Knight Tourmaline, Gem-Knight Garnet, and Monster Reborn, as well as the Fragment Fusion he just drew “Fuck, well, I guess I'll have to gamble on him not top decking into Z-Metal Tank, or else he's going to complete the VWXYZ series...I set one back row and one monster, and end my turn!”

“Really? Just more turtling? That's pathetic! I draw!”

RED 3600 LP
HAND: 4
??? 8000 LP
HAND: 4

“My Shard of Greed gains its second Greed Counter, and I subsequently activate it! I send Shard of Greed to the Graveyard and draw 2 cards!” The picture on the giant recreation of the cloaked figure's card appeared to come out of the card before forming into a Pot of Greed, with the figure drawing 2 cards “Now, I activate my 3 Upstart Goblin cards! You gain 3000 LP, and I draw 3 cards!”

RED 3600 LP -> 4600 LP -> 5600 LP -> 6600 LP

“But why would he willingly give you 3000 Life Points, actively hindering his progress of winning the Duel?” Luna asked.

“Luna, I've already told you, Life Points are meaningless, drawing a card greatly outmatches giving your opponent 1000 Life Points, playing it in multiples is the same deal.”

“Prepare for your destruction! I Summon my Z-Metal Tank!”
(Level 4, Union, 1500 ATK 1300 DEF)

“Shit! My gamble failed!” Red thought to himself, trying to maintain a straight face.

“Now, by unequipping my Y-Dragon Head from X-Head Tank, I can Special Summon it!"
(Level 4, 1500 ATK 1300 DEF)
"Now, get ready for the trio of Combinations that will end you! I banish my X-Head Cannon, Y-Dragon Head, and Z-Metal Tank to Fusion Summon my XYZ-Dragon Cannon!"
(Level 8, 2800 ATK 2600 DEF)
"Now, I banish my VW-Tiger Jet and XYZ-Dragon Cannon to Fusion Summon my VWXYZ-Dragon Catapult Cannon!"
(Level 8, 3000 ATK 2800 DEF)
"Now, before the 3rd Fusion, I activate the effect of my VWXYZ-Dragon Catapult Cannon, banishing your face down monster! Now, I'm combining my VWXYZ-Dragon Catapult Cannon with my Armed Dragon LV 7!”

“Machine Fusion with Armed Dragon!? I thought that was just something stupid the internet came up with!” Red exclaimed.

“It's a real card, let me show you! I'm banishing my VWXYZ-Dragon Catapult Cannon and my Armed Dragon LV 7 to Fusion Summon my Armed Dragon Catapult Cannon!”
(Level 10, 3500 ATK 3000 DEF)

Red looked at the newly summoned monster, while also trying to discern what he was looking at, unsure of if he should be afraid or confused by its mere existence.

“Looks great, doesn't it? Well it's about to look even better next to my final Fusion Monster!”

“But how? You don't have anymore monsters to fuse with your dragon catapult thing!” Luna exclaimed

“That's the beauty of Fusion! You can use materials even if they're trapped in your hand by using a card like this Polymerization! I'm fusing the Ojama Yellow, Ojama Green, and Ojama Black in my hand!”

“Wait, he's using all three Ojamas as Fusion material!?” Red thought “That means-! Wait! Luna, I need you to lift me down to the ground, slowly.” Luna followed Red’s instructions, levitating him to the ground without dropping him “I’ve figured out who you are! Throughout history, there's only been one person insane enough to put Ojamas, Armed Dragons, and Machine Fusions in the same deck! Jun Manjome!”

Red’s opponent smirked, ripping off his cloak. “Heh! So you found me out! I summon my Ojama King!"
(Level 6, 0 ATK 3000 DEF)
"When my Ojama King is summoned, I select 3 of your Main Monster Zones, and while the King is here, they can't be used!” The outline of the field reappeared in between Red and Manjome, with the outlines of Red’s middlemost Main Monster Zones turning red, indicating that they can't be used.

“Look at your Disk you idiot! You left a 0 Attack monster in Attack Position! I might as well be attacking you directly at that point!”

“I don't make simple mistakes like that! I activate my Ojama Country Field Spell!” Just then, the entirety of Ponyville disappeared, only to be replaced by a village inhabited by disturbing creatures of varying colors, although Twilight’s Castle and Friendship School remained visible, likely due to how close they were. Red also noticed that Manjome looked different from the history books, wearing the Duel Academy Obelisk Blue uniform instead of his famous black North Academy uniform, and his sclera were black as opposed to white like a normal eye.

“Hey Manjome, is there something wrong with your eyes? They're not supposed to be-"

“What are you talking about? My eyes are fine! Now here's something for yours! As long as I control an Ojama monster, the ATK and DEF of all monsters on the field are switched!”
(Ojama King 0 ATK 3000 DEF -> 3000 ATK 0 DEF) (Armed Dragon Catapult Cannon 3500 ATK 3000 DEF -> 3000 ATK 3500 ATK)

“Wait, what!?”

“That's right! Battle Phase! Ojama King and Armed Dragon Catapult Cannon attack you directly! You go bye bye!” With Manjome’s command, Armed Dragon Catapult Cannon launched a barrage of missiles and chain gun bullets in Red’s general direction, while Ojama King flew into the air and body slammed him directly, causing a large dust cloud to consume him “Looks like the master will be pleased with me for eliminating the only threat that could-"

“Not quite”

“Huh?”

“I'm not finished yet!”

“What!?”

“I survived with the 3000 Life that you gave me!”

“What? But-" Chazz looked at his Duel Disk to see the Life scores
RED 600 LP
MANJOME 8000 LP
“What!?’

“And the really stupid thing is, if you had just kept Y-Dragon Head on the field last turn, you would've dealt the 600 damage needed to finish me off! You shot yourself in the foot!”

“WHAT!?”

“And now, I'm gonna capitalize on my chance! Draw!”

Red 600 LP
HAND: 5
Manjome 8000 LP
HAND: 0

“Well doesn't get any bright ideas with that facedown card!" Manjome shouted. "Once per turn, on my opponent's turn, Armed Dragon Catapult Cannon lets me banish one card from my Main Deck or Fusion Deck to banish all cards you control and in your Graveyard! I'm banishing my YZ-Tank Dragon from the Extra Deck!”

“Right, well I didn't need my Fragment Fusion or whatever is in my Graveyard right now anyway, it's what will be in the Graveyard that matters!” Red said, putting all the cards being ejected from his Graveyard slot into his back pocket. First, I activate my Pot of Greed! This allows me to draw 2 cards! Come on, please let them be good-! Yes! Now I activate my Dark Hole!”

“Wait, what!?”

“Dark Hole destroys all monsters on the field! And guess what? You're not the only Fusion player here! But I don't use Contact Fusion or Polymerization, I use Gem-Knight Fusion!”

Manjome looked at the artwork on Gem-Knight Fusion, and clutched his head, writhing in pain “Ahh-! Why is my head hurting?”

“Well it's about to hurt even more! I fuse the Gem-Knight Garnet and Gem-Knight Tourmaline in my hand to Fusion Summon my Gem-Knight Topaz!"
(Level 6, 1800 ATK 1800 DEF)
"Now I activate Monster Reborn! This lets me Special Summon a monster from either player's Graveyard, and I'm reviving your Armed Dragon Catapult Cannon!"
(Level 10, 3500 ATK 3000 DEF)
"And lastly, I Normal Summon my Gem-Knight Emerald!"
(Level 4, 1800 ATK 800 DEF)
"Battle Phase! First, Armed Dragon Catapult Cannon attacks directly!” Manjome’s stolen monster opened fire on its former master without hesitation, launching a barrage of missiles and bullets
Manjome 8000 LP -> 4500 LP
“Now, my Gem-Knight Topaz attacks directly! Twice! Due to his effect!” Gem-Knight Topaz leaped over to Manjome and slashed at him twice, once with each of its two tonfa
Manjome 4500 LP -> 2700 LP
Manjome 2700 LP -> 900 LP

“Time to finish you off! Gem-Knight Emerald! Emerald Flash!” Red’s last monster flung a great number of emerald shards generated from its hands towards Manjome, knocking him back through the air
Manjome 900 LP -> 0 LP

As the Solid Vision began to dissipate and Ponyville returned to visibility, Manjome began to dissipate into light with it

“What the fuck!? Wait! I need to ask you a few questions! Manjome, stay with me!” Red exclaimed, running towards Manjome in a futile effort, as before Manjome could land from the last attack, he had fully disintegrated and all that remained was a single card “What the hell? He turned into a card, let's see here…”

Fusion Area
Continuous Spell
Once per turn, you can Fusion Summon one Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck by banishing materials listed on it from your field.

“Wow, that is literally just a shittier version of Fusion Gate, but I guess I'll be able to sell it when I get home or some shit.” Red looked back at the window and called out to Luna “Hey Luna! Grab my shit for me, ok? I'm gonna come with you to Manehattan or wherever you said we need to go!”

*****************************

“So it seems my first minion has failed me.” Said a voice in Tartarus “I should have known better than to waste my energy on an idiot, but thankfully, my fear monger is more competent, and will surely defeat that waste of air, although I must say it is most impressive of him to defeat my minion without the use of his Master Diamond, I look forward to meeting him myself…”