• Published 1st May 2019
  • 347 Views, 12 Comments

The Not-So-Grand Galloping Gala - Starpony999



The day has finally arrived! The Elements of Harmony are at this year's Grand Galloping Gala. While the night's still young, everypony seems to get just what they've always wanted. However, the question is, will it stay that way?

  • ...
 12
 347

8 Dawn of a New Business

Dawn was incredibly excited to see what they had done with the Gala this year. She was even more excited to see how they had incorporated her selections into the soiree. Princess Celestia had let her help organize the Grand Galloping Gala this year as thanks. Whether it was for saving Princess Luna or for helping keep her cake addiction under wraps, Dawn wasn’t sure. She didn’t care either way, she was just grateful to have helped the Princess…..and grateful to be a part of the biggest party of the year!

Dawn beelined for the food table upon entering the castle. There were the classic hor ‘de vors, but there were also some of her favorite party goods such as cupcakes, hot sauce, and bacon. There weren’t many hor’devors being served, which Dawn found a bit odd. She had been pretty sure that the chefs would have insisted on having several more of those than her personal choices. Maybe they had actually tried her suggestions this time and realized how good her taste actually was.

She then moved on to the refreshment table. There were a few different options: orange juice, pomegranate juice, grapefruit juice, cranberry juice, watermelon punch, and an interesting take on grape cider. Dawn decided she was going to stay away from that for now. She was slightly disappointed that there was no apple juice, on Apple Jet and Rainbow Zap's account of course. At least it meant this was a new market for them.

After more than a few songs had played, Dawn decided it was time to find the princess. She had so many questions. Like how the princess knew the other elements were in Ponyville, or why didn't Princess Celestia tell Dawn that friendship was key to saving the world, or how in the world did she get her mane to flow in the wind? Granted, the princess had never answered that last question before, but the other two still stood a chance. And she had plenty more where that came from. She was also itching to tell her mentor everything else that had happened that she hadn't been able to explain in the letters.

The pink unicorn began to walk towards where she had last seen the Princess: the front hall. When they had entered the gala, Princess Celestia was busy greeting everypony. Dawn knew better than to try to spend time with her then, it would just multiply the time it took to have a real conversation with her. Dawn figured that by now everypony would have arrived at the gala, or just--

"Pinkamenia? Pinkamenia Pie?"

"It's Dawn, actually," The pony in question bit back a snarl as she turned around to see who had spoken. "Good Evening." She gave a small smile.

"Oh, yes, of course! How could I forget? Ms. Dawn, my name is Press Release, and I was wondering if I could talk to you for a moment."

Dawn blew her signature stray hair out of her face in an attempt to hide her sigh. 'I suppose a few questions won't hurt. The Princess might still be greeting ponies anyways. "Of course." Dawn wasn't the kind of pony to give interviews to snotty ponies, but Press Release didn't seem to be the typical Canterlot type. She was a young yellow mare with unruly orange locks--something a Canterlotian wouldn't be seen dead with. Her attire was similarly simple and un-Canterlotian; however, unlike her mane and coat, it was fit for the gala. She wore a sleek black dress with a simple silver necklace. At Dawn's statement of agreement, Press Release pulled out a reporters fedora and placed it on top of her head. Dawn was no fashion expert, but she was pretty sure Fleur wouldn't be the bearer of honesty if she let a customer walk out of her shop looking like that.

"Why have you moved to Ponyville? Was that the Princess's decision, or did you head off on your own?"

"Well, you see, it started with the Summer Sun Celebration..."


"Wow! That is so cool!" Press Release grabbed Dawn's hoof and shook it vigorously. "Thank you for your time."

Dawn couldn't help but smile, the young mare might have been a bit excitable, but it still made Dawn feel complete when she made somepony smile. Besides, not too much time had passed. Princess Celestia must still be nearby. "I'm glad I could help. Now if you'll excuse me, there is really somepony I must see."

"Oh yes, thank you again Dawn!" Press release tucked her hat away and trotted happily off back into the crowd.

The unicorn turned and once more trod her way towards the where she supposed the princess was. She was soon stopped by another pony. This one was definitely the Canterlotian type; he had broad shoulders, a white coat, and a light-colored mane. He wore a fancy blue tux that complemented his mane and even wore an eyeglass. However, this was one pony that Dawn knew. While he did live up to his name, Fancy Pants, he was actually quite a cool pony.

"Ms. Dawn, how lovely to see you here."

"Nice to see you too, Fancy Pants."

"I understood you helped set up this party?"

Dawn simply nodded in affirmation.

"Well that's splendid. This is by far the best gala I have ever seen, as well as one of your best works." Fancy Pants smiled, his statement causing Dawn to blush. "Would you mind telling me about your inspiration? I need a party planner for Fleur's birthday, and I'm running out of time. I accept only the best for my darling."

"Well of course, anything for you Fancy Pants. See, I was thinking about how Princess Luna's return was the biggest event of the year, and I decided to incorporate that into the theme. As you can see," Dawn pointed up at high ceiling, "We used fairy lights to replicate the stars. They also offer some great mood lighting..."


"That's absolutely wonderful!" Fancy Pants marveled, "Do you always go into that much detail when planning a party?"

"This one required a bit more depth and time than usual, but yeah, I always gather as much information as I can on the subject of the party so that the recipients enjoy it to the full extent."

"Astonishing! If you would be so kind as to plan her party, I will pay you forthright." The white stallion floated a small notebook out of his pocket. "This notebook has a list of all the things Fleur likes. The possible dates and times are written on the second page, as well as the pricing."

Dawn took the notebook from his grasp and flipped it open to the second page. She gasped and the figure. "Fancy Pants..."

"And I'm willing to pay you double that if it exceeds my expectations."

Dawn was bouncing on her hooves. It took all of her effort to perform a polite curtesy; she didn't have any left to contain the smile on her face. "Thank you! I look forward to planning this party for you."

"Oh, that reminds me." Fancy Pants turned a quarter of a circle and pointed to some ponies in the crowd. "Some of my friends are looking to host a soiree for Hearth Warming in a few weeks, and they can't seem to find a compentent party planner."

Dawn glanced back at the hall where the princess had been only a few hours ago. Dawn really missed her mentor, but she supposed Princess Celestia might be willing to spend some time with her after the gala. Besides, it would be downright rude to reject such an amazing offer. "Well, perhaps I could be of assitance."

"Excellent!" Fancy Pants led the way to another unicorn couple. "Jet Set! Upper Crust! I have somepony I would like you to meet."