• Published 1st May 2019
  • 345 Views, 12 Comments

The Not-So-Grand Galloping Gala - Starpony999



The day has finally arrived! The Elements of Harmony are at this year's Grand Galloping Gala. While the night's still young, everypony seems to get just what they've always wanted. However, the question is, will it stay that way?

  • ...
 12
 345

2 DisGUMtlement

Gummy had opted to ride in the driver's seat, since he knew the way to Canterlot. The spectrals Fleur had summoned needed direction, after all. He spurred the images of gentle-colts onward, and started the trip towards Canterlot. "Can you believe it, Dawn? We're going back to Canterlot! It's been an entire year since we were last there. Our hometown!" Being able to hear the conversation about oranges from inside the carriage, Gummy assumed they would be able to hear him from the outside. "The best part of all of this is that even though these parties are suuuper boring, we'll get to hang out together all night long! This is going to be the best night ever!"

"We're going to be the Cinderbells of the ball!" He heard Fleur say from inside the carriage. Gummy's smile widened. It was true! All of his friends looked absolutely astonishing! Especially Rarity. She looked spell-binding in that music-note covered dress.

"I've got the entire 'insider tour' of Canterlot all planned out! Fleur's got to see the crown jewels, Rainbow wouldn't want to miss the Princess's golden apple tree. Oh! And Rarity, you have got to check out my favorite donut shop! They have a different musician every night. I wish I could remember who they usually have tonight." He chattered on, excited about the prospect at returning to his old home.

"That's not how it goes." Somepony else said. He was pretty sure it was Twilight, although he had no idea what she was referring to. Certainly not him, right? That wouldn't make sense. But, that meant, she wasn't paying attention. Could she even hear him? Could any of them hear them?

"This is going to be the best night ever...." Gummy muttered, trying to cheer himself up as Canterlot came into view.


As the carriage pulled up to the front of the castle, Gummy hopped down from his seat and went to open the door of the carriage. All six mares poured out, not a one bothering to thank the drake for opening the door for them. Suddenly he heard the sound of music swelling, and Gummy sighed as he realized a heartsong was about to begin. Of course, the first song of this new chapter would happen when they returned to Canterlot.

"I can't believe we're finally here!" Twilight exclaimed as she managed to do a summersault in the air, much to the chagrin of Fleur.

"Please, Twilight, do take care of that dress. The gears and the stars; why Diamond and I worked on that dress alone for weeks!"

"At the Gala," Dawn started the song, her typical abnormally large smile gracing her face. Twilight smugly winked at Fleur before joining in the song, along with several other nearby party-goers. Gummy shook his head and sighed. He still could not for the life of him figure out where the chorus for these songs came from. There hadn't been anypony other than the guards around a moment before, and they were still stationed at their posts.

"At the Gala"

Fleur led the first verse, after rolling her eyes at the purple pegasus. It was probably to get back at her, as Twilight had seemed ready to sing first.

"At the Gala,
All the royals
They will meet fair Fleur de Shy
They will see I'm just as regal at the Gala"

"At the Gala!" The chorus echoed.

"I will find him
My Prince Charming
And what a gallant guy
He will cause my heart to fly
Tonight at the Gala!" Fleur continued

"This is what we've waited for to have the best night ever
Each of us will live our dreams
Tonight at the Gala
At the Gala" The chorus sang.

Rarity trotted to the front, taking over the next verse, which probably annoyed Twilight.

“At the Gala
In the garden
I will not have a doubt
I will sing and
Harmonize here at the Gala!”

“At the Gala!”

"In the gardens,
the gazebo,
My music will ring out
I'll truly make my mark
Here at the Gala!"

"All our dreams will come true
Right here at the Gala
At the Gala"

Rainbow was next, earning a scowl from Twilight. So she decided to lead the chorus in an odd sort of echo.
"At the Gala" "It's amazing"
"I will sell them" "Better hurry"
"All my appletastic treats" "Yummy yummy"
"Hungry ponies" "They'll be snacking"
"They will buy them" "Bring your money"
"Caramel apples, apple sweets" "Gimme some"
"And I'll earn a lot of money
for the Apple family!"

"All our dreams and our hopes from now until hereafter
All that we've been wishing for will happen at the Gala
At the Gala"

Apple Jet’s music was awfully upbeat.

“I am here at the Grand Gala
As it is the best soirée
I’m here to socialize with
the most important ponies
For I want to make connections
For the Apple family
Ponies talking
Ponies chatting
With me at the Grand Gala!”

“Business connections here at the Gala, at the Gala.”

Twilight pushed her way to the front, making sure that Dawn didn't go before her as well. She lifted her wings to the sky as though to conduct a new tempo, and as soon as a new drum beat kicked off, she lifted herself into the sky.

Been dreamin'
I've been waitin'
To work with those great ponies
The Magnabolts, their cool designs
Working gears n' cogs; it's sublime!
Buildin' for crowds of thousands
There will be no more doubtin'
The Magnabolts will see me right here at the Gala!

Twilight finished her verse off with a grand loop-de-loop. Fleur bit her lip to keep from interupting the heartsong.

"All we've longed for
All we've dreamed
Our happy ever after
Finally will all come true
Right here at the Grand Gala
At the Gala"

And of course, Dawn rounded the verses off with her big dream, the chorus echoing after her.
“At the Gala” “At the Gala”
“With the Princess” With the Princess”
“Is where I'm going to be.” She will be”
“We will talk all about friendship and what I've learned and seen!” She will see”
“It is going to be so special,
“As she takes time just for me!”

“This will be the best night ever!
Into the Gala we must go
We're ready now, we're all aglow
Into the Gala, let's go in and have the best night ever
Into the Gala, now's the time
We're ready and we look divine!”

"Into the Gala"
"Find my Prince"
"Into the Gala"
"Sell some apples"
"Into the Gala"
"Make connections"
"Prove I'm great"
"As a Magnabolt is"

"To meet!"
"To sell!"
"To find!"
"To prove!"
"To deal!"
"To talk!"

Everypony joined in for the final chorus.
"Into the Gala
Into the Gala
And we'll have the best night ever!
At the Gala!"

Gumy: Yeah! This is gonna be the best night ever. You know why? 'Cause we're all gonna spend time at the Gala to..." Somewhat suddenly, the music ended with its big finish. Gummy's last note was left hanging as every mare dashed off in a different direction inside of the palace. "-gether. Or not." The young drake sighed before walking forward into the main meeting hall. "I mean, I thought at least Dawn would wait for me." Maybe he'd be able to find some of his old friends. Trixie often talked about being invited to the events because of her mother. Gummy was determined to hang out with friends, one way or another. No matter how much he hated these parties.

Author's Note:

Finished!