• Published 12th Apr 2018
  • 6,847 Views, 72 Comments

The Elder Dragons of Equestria - FanboyGamer3E



Imagine you're transported to Equestria, you've also been transformed into one of the Elder Dragons from Monster Hunter, That is what our sweet protagonist and several others are going through. The problem is they look evil, and are OP as hell.

  • ...
28
 72
 6,847

Chapter 5.5 Interview with an Elder Dragon: Installment #1- The Other World

Author's Note:

This Chapter takes place during the episode "Castle Sweet Castle" During the time when Twilight's friends are making her castle more homey for her. Chapters like this are going to be peppered across the story, as a sort of lore chapter where Nergi explains things about the Monster Hunter Universe. This chapter will be about the different times the Wyverns and monsters from the Monster Hunter Universe. I've also classified the ??? Monsters and the Unclassified Monsters as Elder Dragons for the hell of it.

Not much is really gonna happen this chapter, it's just gonna be a bit of world building back and forth dialogue. I'm planning on doing another one like this somewhere down the line despite what people think of this one.

"Alright, this is audio journal 1. I am Princess Twilight Sparkle, and today I am going to be interviewing the Elder Dragon Nergigante, or Nergi for short, and asking him about his homeworld and the various creature of it. Nergi, could you please begin?"

"Right then, let's start things off with the deadliest creature in my world."

"Are you talking about your own species?"

"Wha- NO, I'm talking about humans. Do you really think I'm that vain?"

"Well you did seem to talk about how strong you are back when you were fighting Dio in Starlight's Village, but just forget that, you can go back to talking about humans."

"Right well, like I said before I was raised by a human, a hunter at that, so I've seen first hand the power of humans. The first thing they have on their side is their ingenuity, their able to create potions which are able to heal them, antidotes that work twice as fast as the herbs their made from, energy drinks that replenish their stamina, Hot drinks that keep from catching hypothermia in the tundras, cool drinks that keep them from passing out from heat exhaustion, and finally a vast array of armor and weapons made from the parts of the monsters they've killed. However they also have charisma, which they use to convince Wyverians, Dwarves, and Lynians to aid them in their endeavors."

"You've mentioned those three other races before, could you give me some more information on them?"

"Sure, first off the Wyverians. The Wyverians are actually a race of humanoid dragon, the only difference they have to humans are a set of pointed ears, and a stronger connection with nature. It's rare for them to become hunters, but it has happened on occasion. Then there are the Dwarves, like I said before they're shorter than humans, the tallest of them only reach to about the knees of a human. They're not much for combat, but they're experts when it comes to alchemy and craftsmanship, they're usually made researchers, item melders, or blacksmiths when they join up with the Hunter's Guild. Finally there's the different Lynian races, First off there's Felynes, the majority of them are about as tall as Dwarves and are catlike in appearance, although some can grow to be taller. They also come in a variety of colors, and fur patterns, in that regard I'd compare them to you ponies who I've noticed also come in a number of colors. Finally they have incredible endurance and strength for their size, being able to fight large monsters along side humans. It's for this reason that their main job in the guild is being a Palico for hunters."

"What's a Palico? Is that some sort of pun?"

"No actually, Palico means companion in the Felyne language. Palico are basically a Hunter's backup during a fight, they also can carry a number of items and make use of various weapons and gear, like VigorWasp Lures, Flashfly cages, and miniature traps. They also can strategize with their hunter, however they can't properly speak in human language without having a thick Felyne accent, so they use words like Meowster, or Meownster."

"Sweet Celestia that sounds adorable."

"It really is, anyway, moving on to the next family of Lynians, the Melynx, they're a subspecies of Felyne that usually only sports two different fur patterns, either tan and brown or black and white, they also have the ability to speak human languages without having the accent. However they lack the physical strength of the Felynes so they mostly just help cook for the hunters and manage their rooms while their out on a hunt. Then there are the Shakalakas, their small, savage little creatures with green skin, they also have been known to only wear masks and tribal loincloths, despite their aggressive nature they're actually very social creatures living in large tribes under the control of the tribe's king."

"Wait, don't tribes usually have a chief?"

"Yeah well that's how big a Shakalaka tribe can get to be, having a chief doesn't cut it so a king is chosen form a number of worth chiefs. Anyway Shakalakas nearly always wear masks, only a Shakalaka's parents are allowed to see its face. In the beginning they only have the most basic of mask, they only gain a more complex designs during a coming of age ritual."

"Fascinating."

"I know right. Next up is the Uruki, which mostly resembles a sloth. They're a peaceful and generous breed of Lynian, usually they fish when their not eating or sleeping. They've also been known to give hunters certain items if they run into one another. Moving on to the species in the New World, first is the Grimalkyne, a breed of more feral Lynian that only exists in the New World. Like the Felynes they come in a variety of fur patterns, although it depends on which tribe they belong to, they can be from the BugTrapper Tribe, the Protector Tribe, the Performer Tribe, or the Plunderer Tribe. Each of which have developed special tools to survive their, they also have their own language which is fairly similar to Felyne so Paclios are able to communicate with them. Then there are the Gajalaka tribes, which are a basically more savage tribe of Shakalaka which only exists in the New World, not much is known about them but it's speculated that their tribe is structured in a similar way to the Shakalaka tribes."

"You keep mentioning this place called the New World, do you mind explaining what you mean."

"Of coarse. Like your planet, Earth is divided up into several continents. However the various races have long since forgotten their names, the main continent where the races reside is known as the Old World which itself is surrounded by various islands like LocLac. They only just found out about the New World some forty to fifty years ago when the guide first started researching the Elder Crossing. An event where Elder Dragons of a certain age travel to the New World."

"Really, why is that?"

"It's because the New World is where Elder Dragons go to die. It's a kinda instinctual thing, like what the elephants of this world have, once an Elder Dragon reaches a certain age a biological beacon goes off and guides us to the New World. Once we die we release the bioenergy in our bodies which over the coarse of a hundred years becomes its own environment in the New World. The research commission has only just figured that out a few years ago."

"Wait, if the New World is where Elder Dragons go to die than wouldn't that mean the Elder Dragons that are trapped in this world need to find a new rising place?"

"Yeah, but well cross that bring when we come to it. Now do you have any other questions?"

"Yes actually, Could you please tell me about the various kinds of dragon from your world?"

"Sure thing. But my world isn't just filled with dragons, it's filled with all sorts of monsters. Starting things off at the bottom of the food chain we have the herbivores, generally peaceful monsters who eat vegetation and roots. Now herbivores come in various types, there are the dinosaur like creatures such as Aptonoth, Apceros, and Larinoth. The mammals such as Popo, Kelbi, Eurpe, and Burukku, and then they're the amphibians like Epioth. While most herbivores are peaceful, choosing to run rather than fight most of the time, there are territorial herbivores like Kestodon and Gastodon who live in the New World. Then there are the Wingdrakes, small wyverns who are primarily used to carry hunters around areas there are only four main species, first there are the Barnos, the Mernos, the Noios, and the Raphinos. Next up we have the Neopterons, which are basically giant insects. They range from the wasplike Vespoids, to the Hornetaurs which are basically grasshoppers mixed with Rhinoceros beetles which are the size of cats."

"Oh my."

"Yeah, and those are just the smaller ones. There are also large ones like the Ahtal-ka which is a giant praying mantis which is large enough to bite off the heads of herbivores."

"Oh sweet Celestia that's horrifying."

"Yeah, anyway lets move on to the Temnocerans, which are basically giant arachnids who prey on basically everything smaller than them, however they primarily feed on Neopterons to keep them in check. The most terrifying of the Temnoceran family is a giant spider called Nerscylla, which has fangs the size of my horns, unreal speed, and poisonous spikes it can fire off from its back, it's basically me if I was a spider."

"Please tell me we're done with all the creepy crawly monsters."

"Not entirely, but we're done with the arthropod monsters. Lets move on to the Bird Wyverns, which themselves are divided up into two different families. First there's the Theropod Wyverns which resemble land based raptors, then there's the actual Bird-like Wyverns which actually have feathers and can fly. Speaking of which let's move on to the Flying Wyverns, who are again divided up into two different families, True Wyverns, and Pseudo Wyverns."

"What's the difference?"

"Well True Wyverns are basically Wyverns which fit the overall traits of a dragon, wings instead of forelegs, the ability to fly, some kind of elemental breath attack, y'know the basics. Pseudo Wyverns on the other hand are masters of adaptation and speed. Take Nargacuga for example, it's like a cross between a Wyvern, a jungle cat, and a falcon. It's stealthy enough to the point that it can stalk pretty much anything through the forest, and has enough speed to be able to cut off your head before you even knew it was there. Another example is Tigrex who can basically survive anywhere and not have any problems adapting to the environment. My point is that Pseudo Wyverns are different from True Wyverns in the sense that their was of hunting and surviving is focus more on speed and stealth rather than being on sheer brute power, the only exceptions to this are Akantor and Ukanlos, who by all accounts should be classified as Brute Wyverns. Both of them are massive in size and wield enough power to take on Elder Dragons like me, they've even been given the titles of the Black God and the White God, that's how powerful they are, and that's just when they're apart from each other. The prospect of those two meeting up, and god forbid fighting is so dangerous that the guild needs to keep tabs on nearly every single member of the species to try and avoid the ever meeting up in the wild, and that's not an easy task their not like Elder Dragons where there's only a round one or two hundred of them running around at a time, no this is a whole entire species they have to keep track of, the population of each is about 50 thousand."

"You mentioned that both Akantor and Ukanlos are able to hunt and kill Elder Dragons, are there any other monsters who are able to do that besides other Elder Dragons?"

"I'll get to that in a minute, for now lets focus on the monster classes. Moving on to the Piscine Wyverns. The majority of these are basically gigantic fish with legs, with the only exceptions being Delex, which are dolphin sized flying fish, and Gajau, which are basically giant catfish with shark teeth. Despite their uniform build, Piscine Wyverns are capable of existing in a number of environments. The Cephalos and Cephadrome are able to swim through sand as gracefully as in water, the Aruganosu is able to do the same only with snow, and Lavasioth is able to swim in lava and coat itself in volcanic rock to protect itself."

"Incredible so your saying there are creature from your world who are able to withstand molten lava?"

"Yep, and Lavasioth is one of many, there are even some monsters who can produce lava inside their bodies like living smelters, more on that later. For now lets move on to the Carapaceons, which are basically insects from the sea. First off there's the Hermitaur, Ceanataur, Onimusha, and the Shen Gaoren, which are all basically giant hermit crabs. Then theres the Akura Vashimu, and Akura Jebia, which are basically giant Sea Scorpions with crystals growing on them. Then there's the Taikun Zamuza, Baelidae, and the Kususbami, which are basically giant lobsters which are large enough to carry boulders and even mountains on their backs. Moving on to the Amphibians, first off there's the Tetsucabra, which is basically a giant orange frog with a pair of tusk like fangs on its bottom jaw. Then there's Zamite, which are like a cross between salamander and shark. And finally there's Zamtrios, which is basically a great white shark with a pair of frog legs and a sack which it can fill up with air and water to make itself into a giant ballon of pain. Next up is the fanged beasts, which are actually mammals and not just some variant of lizard, fish, or bug. The Fanged beasts are divided up into three different families, the Primatius which are basically giant apes, the Pelagus which are a variation of bear, and the fanged mammals which are basically giant herbivores with massive tusks and fangs. However the strongest of the fanged beasts is a member of the Primatius family called Rajang, which is a giant baboon with lightning powers. Rajang is on of the only non-Elders who can actually hunt and kill Elder Dragons, in fact his favorite thing to hunt is Kirins, he's able to generate electricity partially because of this diet."

"So how strong 'is' Rajang? Do his lightning attacks melt stone or something like that?"

"No, Rajang's lightning attacks are powerful but not enough to do that. When I say strongest, I mean it is possible that he is the physically strongest creature in the world. He's able to rip boulders the size of houses straight out of the ground and throw them a distance of 15 meters, and he can do this a number of times without running out of energy. He can pick up a hunter, crumple them up into a ball, and throw them back to base camp, and that's when he's in his base form."

"What do you mean based form?"

"Well there are some monsters who can enter into a enraged form, and in Rajang's case, his enraged form is him turning himself into a golden version of himself, he does this by sending an immense amount of electricity flowing throughout his body. This both empowers his electric attacks and gives him more versatility with them, now being able to create a massive ball of lightning the size of the boulders he rips out of the ground, which is also able to basically flash fry any living thing around him, leaving them burnt smoking husks."

"Oh dear, that is disturbing."

"And most likely painful, anyway let's move on to the Leviathans. Leviathans are genuinely water based creatures with a salamander like appearance. However one member of the family, Agnaktor, is able to survive in volcanic wastelands and frozen tundras. Like Lavasioth it's able to withstand lava and use molten rock as armor for defense against attacks, there's also Nibelsnarf which is able to move through sand like a snake. Speaking of which let's move on the the Snake Wyverns, which I would prefer either be classified as Fanged Wyverns or Leviathans. First there's Remobra, which is basically a snake with wings. Then there's the Najarala which is a snake type creature covered in boney plates. Like I said the guild could have easily just classified them as Leviathans or Fanged Wyverns, it would make more sense than just making an entirely new category. But enough about that, lets move on to the big boys, The Brute Wyverns. Brute Wyverns primarily resemble theropods like with the bird Wyverns, only brutes are much bigger, twice as large as the bird Wyvern theropods. And this is where we meet the last of the Non-Elders who can take on Elder Dragons, one of the most dangerous monsters from my world, they're able to turn the entire food chain of any ecosystem on its head, their known as the World Eater, Deviljho."

"So that's a total of 4 Wyverns that can hunt and kill Elder Dragons, good to know, please continue."

"Right well, Deviljho's don't just eat Elder Dragons, they eat anything they can get their mouths on, it's the reason the species was given the title World Eater, their always hunger, and always angry. A Deviljho's metabolism requires them to constantly search for food, they've even been known to eat their own tail after a hunter cuts it off. Speaking of which, the tail itself is as long and as heavy as the Deviljho's front end, it basically takes up half its body. But enough about that thing's body, lets talk personality, and when it comes to Deviljho, it only has two default emotions, sleepy and angry. He's also known as the Violent Wyvern because he he fights with such an unstoppable fury that some this fueled by rage, should not be seen outside of the depths of hell. He is a walking rampage with an unbridled rage that eclipses the sun, and this means, and I really want to stress this because it's equally badass and terrifying, that a deviljho literally CANNOT walk away from a fight, and at the same time it cannot help itself from fighting everything that moves, so that means if it comes across any kind of monster it will instantly decide to fight that monster to the death, and those that don't either fight or run get eaten. Deviljho are known to swallow herbivores like Aptonoth alive so as to not waste any energy by simply chasing it down and fighting it, and it has to constantly hunt for food due to its high metabolism, high body temperature, and constant fighting. A Deviljho also has the ability to use it's lower jaw as a shovel, and just throw boulders at enemies, kinda like Rajang only on a smaller extent. It also has rows and rows of shark like teeth which are constantly growing out, getting to the point that the cover the Deviljho's entire chin and upper lip by the time they reach adulthood. And if that wasn't enough, he is able to use the Dragon Element, an extremely rare elemental ability which usually only Elder Dragons have access to, this usually only serves as a sort of defense against elemental attack, I'm able to charge it through my spikes and make them super hard to break, that's why they turn black. But Deviljho's are not only able to harness it, but also use it to attack, unleashing a cloud of black smoke riddled with red lightning, and if that doesn't immediately kill the monster or hunter Deviljho is attacking, it will rob the Hunter's weapons of their elemental damage effects, and make it so monsters can't use their elemental organs or breath attacks. They also have saliva which is actually 75 percent stomach acid, which allows him to corrode the armor of a hunter or the shell of any monster making it so he does twice the damage the bites."

"Wow, I would not want to run into one of them."

"That's not even the half of it. You see like Rajang, Deviljho has an enraged form which makes him more powerful, when he enters his enraged state, his body temperature rises to such an incredible degree, that the battle scars he's gotten throughout his life of fighting actually glow red and occasionally open back up, and the glowing red stuff is actually his blood, his body temperature rises to such a degree that his blood become a kind of glowing fluid, and he become a literal engine of hate and destruction, which cannot help itself to fight everything. Even when a hunter traps it in a pitfall trap, instead of trying to escape will keep on fighting, he cares more about killing you that he does about escaping the trap. Not even mentioning the fact that when he's enraged he is able to flex his muscles so hard that they become a kind of leather around them bone. He also has an excellent scene of smell, so it can smell a fresh corpse from miles away which makes it easier to find food, and as I stated before he will eat ANYTHING. If a hunter puts some drugged meat on the ground, he'll just eat that meat bones and all, and like I said before if a hunter cuts off his tail, he will not hesitate to eat that either, in fact it's been proven that a Deviljho's favorite kind of meat, is the meat of another Deviljho."

"Wait what?"

"Yeah you heard me right, Deviljho's have been known to cannibalize each other, and if a Deviljho consumes enough flesh from other Deviljho's, then it will become permanently enraged, becoming the Savage Deviljho. On the other end of the spectrum, if a Deviljho goes a certain number of days without food than it will become even stronger somehow, the sheer force of hunger driving it to incredible levels of strength, granted his stamina is drastically decreased but that doesn't mean that he can't one shot you with a head butt. The point I'm making is that Deviljho is one of the most feared creature on the planet where I'm from, and that fear is well warranted, even Elder Dragons like me know tasty away from them. Anyway let's move on to the Fanged Wyverns. These guys are commonly known for their speed like Zinogre, Tobi-Kadachi, or Odogaron. However there are some species that have been known to hunt in packs like Shamos, Girros, and Jagras, with the leader of the pack being significantly larger than the other, and as such having the annotation Great added on to their names, like Great Jagras and Great Girros. The only Fanged Wyvern I know which doesn't hunt in packs or uses speed is the Dodogama, basically a big lizard with a massive underbite which is able to eat rocks and turn them into lava, which usually only a select number of Elder Dragons can do. Which brings us to the last type of monster, the Elder Dragons."

"About time."

"Now, the first thing you need to know about Elder Dragons is that, we are powerful creatures who are essentially forces of nature, there are even one as large as mountains, which automatically grants them some kind of "Mountain Dragon" title. Like Lao-Shan Lung, the Old Mountain Dragon, or Zorah Magdaros, the Scorching Mountain Dragon. Then there are Elder Dragons like Kirin, Theo, and Leona, who are either extremely powerful with elemental and physical attacks. Then there are the most powerful of the Elder Dragons, the Black Dragons like me. We have the potential to destroy the world if we say fit, First there's me, then there's Fatalis, which was the first Black Dragon ever categorized. Then there's Dire Miralis, the Smelting Black Dragon, which has the ability to produce magma within its body that is so hot it is able to boil an entire section of the sea and turn it into a massive sea of blood from all the boiled carcasses. Then there's Alatreon, the Blazing Black Dragon, which the ability to use nearly all elements and use them to attack, even the Dragon Element. That being said Alatreon is an unstable creature and can passively turn anywhere into an ever changing wasteland of lava, Ice, thunderstorms, and floods. Finally there's Gore Magala, the Black Eclipse Dragon, which is able to destroy all life without even trying, and the reason for that is because he is able to passively spread a virus which only he is able to produce. This "Frenzy Virus" is able to cause any monster to go into a rage before dying of exhaustion, however that's not the end of it. If a monster is extremely powerful then they will actually absorb the virus and become an Apex Monster which is basically able to fight ten more of its own kind, as well as spread the Frenzy Virus around to other monsters, which of left unchecked could potentially become a massive plague of berserker Apex Predators able to turn entire nations into disease riddled wastelands, where only the strongest of flora and fauna have the slimmest chance survival."

"I see, that is very impressive, so one last question. What Elder Dragon is the strongest out of all the others?"

"Oh easily Nakarkos, y'know how we where talking about Deviljho a few minutes ago, well Nakarkos is able to eat him as a snack. Thankfully they usual only stay at the bottom of the oceans, in the blackest of abysses, however when one comes to the surface and makes a nest all hell breaks loose. The nest itself is call the Wyvern's End, an appropriate name considering that usually anything that enters beside the Nakarkos itself is never seen again, and the few who have seen the inside and lived to tell about it describe it as being a massive cave with bones littering every square foot of it, even being stuck to the ceiling due to a kind of blue mucous which Nakarkos creates. By all accounts he should be the one with the title World Eater or Extinction Dragon, because he can bring any biome relatively close to his nest to the point of extinction, he's also been known to save the closest environment for last. You see Nakarkos is a cephalopod, which means he has an extremely high IQ, and is able to learn and adapt itself to the point that it has a nearly perfect defense and offense. They're able to cover themselves in the bones of other monster and attach the skulls of those monsters to the end of its tentacles, which by they way are not only able to produce that blue mucous as an attack but are also able to fire off laser beams, he's also able to use the parts of other monsters as weapons, sort of like a cruder version of what hunters do. Speaking of which, the Hunter's Guild is so terrified of these things that whenever one emerges, they call in the highest ranking hunters from all across the globe just to fight this thing, and almost none are ever seen from again. Back to Nakarkos, he's able to use the parts of other monsters to attack. Y'know how Dio has those two large horns, well Nakarkos is able to eat Dio and then use his horns as a weapon. There's also monster called Uragaan, who's massive boney chin is so hard it is able to smash the toughest of bedrock into chunks of stone, and then once Nakarkos eats him Nakarkos can use his chin as the most durable and desisting hammer in the world. And y'know that blue mucous I was talking about earlier, he is able to use this to stick his prey to literally anything, making it nearly impossible for them to move, which makes it all the more easier for him to pick them up and shove them into his beak like mouth, and them most terrifying aspect of that is that somethings the mucous will effectively seal the mouth of the poor bastard who's being eaten shut, making it impossible for them to scream for help, or even scream in general. The only monster who even stands a snowball's chance in hell of defeating this thing is an Elder Dragon known as Ceadeus, which is essentially a giant whale with a pair of massive horns, which if scraped against any mass of land is able to create earthquakes, and the only way for Ceadeus to even get to Nakarkos is for the Wyvern's End to me inside of a massive underwater cave. Back to Nakarkos, those laser beams I was taking about, that's fueled by the Dragon Element and is able to be concentrated into a super charged to increase it's range. Lastly, I've mentioned that Nakarkos is able to eat a number of environments into extinction, which Deviljho can also do. But the main difference between them, besides the over all power scale, is that while Deviljho needs to do this to survive Nakarkos does it simply because he likes food. He is a living embodiment of gluttony, he devours entire ecosystems because he can, not even because he's hungry, he does it because he likes the feeling of food moving through his body and into his stomach. The just eats to eat, and the most terrifying aspect of that is the fact that in some cases he will leave prey have eaten simply because he is too full to finish them, so he'll just chew on them until he's digested enough, but up until that point the prey will just be flailing around, desperately trying to escape but being unable to, the only emotion they feel being abject terror and the helplessness of being trapped in the maw of the thing that is currently holding them hostage, the very thought of it chills me to my core, I desperately hope to god that I never encounter a Nakarkos."

"Okay... well, you could have simply said the name of the monster and what his basically abilities are, but that was, that was overwhelmingly disturbing. I might not be able to fall asleep for weeks, and I agree with you that meeting one of those Nakarkos things would be terrifying in every sense of the word."

"Yeah well, I just thought you'd want all the information would could. Anyway, we should be getting back to your castle, it's almost sundown and I'm pretty sure the girls are done with the redecorating, not to mention I gotta get back to building the hideout for the Wyvern Guard out in the Everfree."

"Alright just give me a second. Ahem, So, that was my first interview with the Elder Dragon, Nergigante. I'm almost hesitant to make another one, but it's necessary, even if I'm never able to sleep soundly ever again. Anyway, this is Princess Twilight Sparkle, signing off."