• Published 25th Jul 2012
  • 6,579 Views, 160 Comments

Portal to Another World - Backburner



Twilight is convinced to use a new spell to take her friends on vacation, only to find no way back.

  • ...
11
 160
 6,579

Ponyville

Ponyville was having another sunny day; the dawn had already broken over the horizon lighting the sky in a symphony of colors. Shops and businesses were just opening for the day, as the market place grew packed. Sugarcube Corner let in its first group of customers while The Carousel Boutique’s display of new summer dresses caught the eye of ponies out for a stroll. Even the Everfree Forest seemed to brighten under the smile of the sun while Ponyville greeted the day. But as the town awoke, inside the Ponyville library it was still as dark as Luna’s mane.

Twilight Sparkle lay in her bed, indulging herself in a peaceful sleep. All around her lay books in neat stacks that cluttered the room, indicating another late night study session had taken place. One book lies open next to Twilight’s pillow; its pages ruffling as Twilight breathed. The noise of ponies outside however soon filtered its way into the library as a soft hum of conversation, waking the motionless Twilight. Slowly opening her eyes, Twilight blinked at the darkness as the world came into focus. The book before her drew a smile to her face as she saw the pages turn.

“I must have been exhausted last night, I didn’t even place you back on your shelf.” Twilight sat up, looking around at the stacks of books about the room. “Or any of you for that matter.” Twilight’s horn glowed as she pulled up the shade of her window and was surprised at the abundance of sunshine that leapt into the room. Covering her face with a hoof, she allowed herself time to adjust to the light of day. “Well I sure overslept, it’s already morning. Spike, it’s time for us to get going.”

Twilight looked down at Spike’s bed to find it empty. “Spike?” Twilight said, confused. “It’s not like you to go out without telling me.” Twilight rolled off her bed and made her way through the stacks of books to the basket. Inside was a small note that had previously been hidden from her view. Twilight’s magic brought the letter to eye level as she read aloud.

Twilight,

You stayed up pretty late last night looking through those books; I didn’t want to wake you. As you may remember the list we made a few days ago about what you planned to do today is on the windowsill. As much as I wish I could be here to help today, Princess Celestia sent me an urgent letter about going to see her. I should be back tomorrow, so I have all my chores done for the day after that, just in case.
See you soon,

-Spike

When Twilight finished reading the letter she turned to see the list under the window she had opened only a moment ago. “Alright Spike, I guess I’m on my own today.” Levitating the list over and replacing it with Spike’s note, she looked through the day’s agenda. “First, pick up Owloysius from Fluttershy’s cottage. Then Rarity needs somepony to model dresses…that’s it? It’s a short schedule today, Spike picked a good time to be busy.”

Twilight rolled up the list and placed it back on the windowsill. She decided to leave the books out until she came back that evening. No sense in putting up what she would get out again when she got back, and she was probably running late as it was. Making her way downstairs and grabbing a quick breakfast, Twilight made her way out into Ponyville. Twilight loved the sight of Ponyville in the morning, and the Pegasus ponies had outdone themselves on the weather, only the occasional stray cloud broke the perfect blue sky.

Traveling through town toward the path to Fluttershy’s cottage, Twilight expertly made her way through the traffic of ponies. As she made her way through one of the various side streets staring at the rich shade of blue, she felt a gust of wind sweep past blowing her mane into her face. Magically moving the hair aside, Twilight saw a ruffle in a hedge in front of her. Ponyville was a place for odd things to happen, most of them turning out stranger than Twilight would like, but curiosity overtook her as she trotted to the hedge looking it over quizzically.

“Um… is somepony in there?” She asked.

“Shh,” The bush replied as it shook slightly.

“Who’s in there?” Twilight said stepping closer.

“I said SSShhhh, they’re going to find me!” Came the bush’s response.

“Rainbow Dash?” Said Twilight questioningly. “I thought it would be Fluttershy running from her shadow again or Pinkie…doing that…hiding thing. Why are you hiding?” Rainbow Dash stuck a hoof out of the hedge and pointed at the sky.

“The Cloud Patrol.” Rainbow said before pulling her hoof back into her hiding spot. Twilight looked up to see a squadron of Pegasus ponies clearing away the few stray clouds from the skies over Ponyville. “They want me to help move the clouds over the Everfree forest. But there’s no way I’m working on a day like this.”

Twilight remembered being introduced to the cloud patrol during her first Winter Wrap Up. They kept clouds formed in the Everfree Forest from drifting over Ponyville, and organized Equestria’s precipitation. The base of their operation was Cloudsdale, but squadrons flew around all of Equestria.

“Rainbow Dash, you can’t run from The Cloud Patrol forever, they’re all around Ponyville and-”

“-And if they catch you talking to a bush their going to know something’s up, so why don’t you just…do whatever Earth ponies do on sunny days. Read a book or something.”

Twilight turned to continue on her way, but looked back before she started off. “Good luck Rainbow Dash, hope you get a chance to enjoy the day from somewhere outside the foliage. By the way, this light is great for reading.”

“Yeah, Yeah, I might like reading now, but not on a day like this.”

With that, Twilight left Rainbow and continued through town. After finding her way through the crowds of the Market Square and into the city limits, she decided to detour slightly and visit Sweet Apple Acres. It was after all only a minute or so out of her way. Twilight spotted Applejack and Applebloom sitting under a shady tree talking. Applejack was turned away from Twilight looking down at the cross hoofed Applebloom.

“Applebloom, I don’t think it’s a good idea to have a sleepover tonight. Big Mac and I don’t got much in us to supervise young’uns for awhile.”

“But Applebuck Season’s over! Why can’t we just stay in the clubhouse?” Came Applebloom’s disappointed response as she looked up at her sister.

“‘Cause if we put ya in the clubhouse we know ya won’t stay put. Applebloom, y’all don’t have the best record when it comes ta not running off.”

“You can have your friends over whenever ya want, why can’t I have them tonight?”

“Applebloom, listen ta your big sister on this one, maybe some other time.” Twilight had already reached the tree, but had been reluctant to interrupt the argument or pass by. Applebloom had heard enough from Applejack however and stood up to leave. She noticed Twilight standing near the tree and gave Applejack a hateful look.

“I told ya, ya already got ponies showing up!” Turning abruptly, she then ran off into the apple orchard. Applejack watched her go before turning to Twilight.

“That filly,” she said. “I don’t like tell’n her no but me and Big Mac just can’t handle two more fillies today.”

“What exactly is stopping you?” Twilight asked as she sat down next to Applejack opposite where Applebloom had been.

“Applebuck Season was hard on us, this year’s crop had to be taken to market in six extra cities. Big Mac and I rode the train more times in the past week then I can count. Sell’n, set’n up stands, load’n ‘n unload’n, needless to say we ain’t exactly well rested. So the idea of watching three school age fillies ain’t a welcome prospect.” Twilight knew what a hoofful the girls could be having foalsitted them a few times in the past.

“I’m sure you’ll find a way to get them together, I’m actually heading to Fluttershy’s cottage, want me to ask her if she could watch them?” Applejack smiled at Twilight and tipped her hat.

“I’d be much obliged, y’all need a job done I could help with to repay the favor?” Twilight thought for a second before responding, a smile crossing her face.

“Actually there is, do you think you could drop by Rarity’s in about an hour? She asked for some help today, the three of us could get through it no problem.” Applejack nodded her head in agreement.

“You got it sugar cube. You plan’n to stick around for an early lunch, or do you want to head out? Fluttershy’s cottage is quite a walk from here.”

“I think I’m going to get on my way, but thank you for the offer.”

“No problem Twilight, see you at Rarity’s.” Twilight stood and wished Applejack a good end to Applebuck season before continuing on her way. Once back on track to her destination, Twilight allowed herself the pleasure of a daydream. The path, much like the mare she was off to visit, was always very quiet and peaceful making the journey seem much shorter when you had something to think about. Twilight was so lost in thought she had nearly reached the cottage before she heard the faint screams from behind it.

Jarred back to reality Twilight circled the building to find Fluttershy and Pinkie chasing bunnies around the open field. Angel was the only one to stay still, watching the whole scene with stubborn silence. Fluttershy seemed to be the one Twilight had heard, occasionally squealing as she chases the bunnies. Twilight rushed through the chaotic scene wondering what had spooked Flutershy’s animals this time.

“What’s going on here,” Twilight said, upon reaching Fluttershy. “Why are all the bunnies running rampant?” Fluttershy turned to Twilight, a playful smile on her face that starkly contrasted from Twilight’s worried expression.

“Oh…Twilight, today’s the day all the little bunnies start to leave the care of their families to start their own. This is their first day without parents and Pinkie Pie is helping me keep them from running off too far.”

“Yeah!” Cried Pinkie Pie from across the yard. “Isn’t it fun to see how they bounce around? Bouncy boing boing boing!” Pinkie Pie then bounced around the bunnies leading them closer to Fluttershy and Twilight. Picking one up in a forehoof and showing it to the pair. “Soooooooooooooo cute, right!?” Fluttershy squeaked as one of the bunnies nudged against her leg, backing into another she let out a sharp yelp, but it was clear she was squealing from joy instead of fright. Twilight smiled at the bunny on Pinkie’s hoof who’s darting head observed the world from the new height it found itself on.

“You’re right Pinkie, as much as I wish I could stay to watch them with you I’m really only here to pick up Owloysius.” Twilight turned to Fluttershy who was motioning for Angel to join in the bunnies’ frolic. Angel returned her gesture with crossed arms and a stubborn face at which Fluttershy shook her head.

“Owloysius is on top of the cottage.” She said, now turned to Twilight. “His checkup went well but I think he could use another in a week or so in order to stretch his wings a bit, if you wouldn’t mind dropping him off again.”

“Of course Fluttershy, I’ll bring him back as soon as I can spare him. By the way, Applejack wanted me to ask if you wouldn’t mind Applebloom and the Crusaders having a sleepover here tonight.” Fluttershy looked around at the bunnies and the smile dropped from her face before she answered.

“I’m sorry Twilight, but I don’t think I can do much of anything with the bunnies here, but you can tell Applejack I’m available next week.”

“That sounds fine, I’m supposed to meet her soon at Rarity’s so I’ll pass along the message then.”

Fluttershy nodded before returning her attention to Angel. The little bunny hadn’t moved an inch since Twilight arrived, which made her believe it would take a lot more to get him to budge. Twilight shook her head as she made her way to Fluttershy’s cottage. Owloysius was napping on the roof; Twilight didn’t know how he was able to ignore the sound of the bunnies running about and Fluttershy’s squeaks. But being nocturnal, she guessed he was used to ignoring the noises of the day.

“Owloysius,” she called. “Time to go home.”

Even this however wasn’t enough to wake the bird, who barely ruffled a feather at his owners voice. Twilight smiled as she lit up her horn. Picking up the snoozing form of the owl, she gently lowered him down onto her back. Twilight began to make her way back to Ponyville, but just when she was out of ear range of Fluttershy’s outcries, a pegasus squad lowered themselves in front of her.

“Hello Ms.Sparkle” Said one of the ponies. He was a large green stallion with a purple mane and tail. Around his neck he had on a red sash to show he was in charge of the group behind him. Twilight recognized the strap as belonging to a cloud squad. “You wouldn’t happen to have a spare moment?”

“Of course. This wouldn’t be about Rainbow Dash would it?”

“Unfortunately it is. You see she hasn’t reported to cloud duty. My team here has been tasked with locating her. We figured as one of her close friends you would know where she is.”

“I’m sorry, I don’t know where she could be, I saw her in town earlier today though.”

“Thank you Ms.Sparkle.” The stallion turned around to his team. With a nod of his head they took off into the sky toward Ponyville. Twilight watched them fly away and was about to continue walking when a voice from behind startled her.

“Thanks Twilight, I was sure they had me that time.” Twilight looked all around her for the place where Rainbow Dash was hiding, finally spotting her tail hanging from the highest branch of a nearby tree.

“Rainbow Dash what are you doing out here…I can see your tail.” Rainbow’s tail quickly vanished into the leaves of the tree.

“Too many ponies out today, one of them was gonna spot me if I stayed in Ponyville, but now that the patrol is looking for me there I’m free to catch some Z’s!”

“You do know that’s not the only patrol out today, right?”

“Yeah.”

“If they were looking for you they aren’t just limiting the search to Ponyville.”

“What’s your point?” Said Rainbow Dash ruffling the leaves of the tree.

“If they come back here to find you, you’re not going to find many other places to hide.” Rainbow Dash poked her head out of the leaves to see the open countryside sparsely dotted with vegetation before meeting the Everfree Forest. “The city is full of places to hide though. I think you should head back.”

“But that patrols are going to be on the lookout for me there. I can’t go back!”

“You can’t stay here. You just said they almost had you, what are you going to do when I’m not here to redirect them.” Said Twilight matter-of-factly. Rainbow wrinkled her nose, pulling her head back into the tree. Twilight sighed. “Think about it Rainbow.” She said as she resumed her walk to Ponyville.

As she passed the many ponies doing their daily tasks she reached The Carousel Boutique to find a line nearly forty ponies long. Cautiously she made her way to the front of the line and with a shy smile she pushed her way into the door. Rarity rushed about trailed by several pieces of fabric and supplies surrounded by her magic aura. She was so busy she didn’t see Twilight until after Owloysius had been moved from Twilight’s back to a comfy spot near the door.

“Oh, Darling! Thank goodness you’re here. I desperately need a second opinion. Look at Applejack and tell me if her flank looks too big,”

“Now hold up their, I ain’t gatta help you if I don’t want to.” Came a voice from across the room.

Twilight spotted Applejack tucked away at the side of the shop modeling a half-finished blue gown. Applejack cast an accusing glance at Twilight, which Twilight pretended not to see.

“Now darling I meant in the dress, your flank looks fine on its own.”

“Y’all best mean that.” Applejack said as she turned to look longingly at her hat hung by the door

“The dress looks beautiful Rarity.” Said Twilight as she followed the white mare dashing around the room. “Is Applejack your only model today?”

“Well as you may remember, I lent one of my stands to Sweetie Belle for one of her cutie mark quests, unfortunately she thought I said she could use them all, and hasn’t returned yet. So when Applejack here came in and saw my abysmal efforts she offered to help, I’ve made her my temporary replacement until I get my hooves on that little rascal.”

“Almost makes me wish I’d stayed in bed.” Came Applejack’s smug reply. Twilight couldn’t suppress a smile as she looked at Rarity.

“Well I actually came by to help, but if Applejack is modeling I can help with the customers outside.”

“Oh, darling, would you? I know you didn’t expect this. Thank you, thank you so much!”

“No need to thank me, I’m happy to help.” Twilight walked back outside to see the line of ponies growing slightly antsy. From somewhere out of Twilight’s sight a voice called out to her.

“Will Rarity let us in yet?” Another voice further back cried out.

“We’re being let in!?!” The few voices turned into a roar as the ponies shuffled forward pushing the line closer to the door. Twilight moved herself in front of the door and attempted to push back a young stallion that had the misfortune of being first in line.

“Everypony keep calm, Rarity is trying her best to get everypony’s orders ready! Just wait a moment and you’ll all get what you came for!” But the roar of the ponies drowned out her voice. The stallion in front of her wiggled his way out from between Twilight and the mare behind him, but Twilight kept herself in front of the door, blocking his rout.

The line began to clump at the front as ponies desperate to get in tried to bypass Twilight. She tried to step back to stop them but each step she took made them change their course. Twilight found herself being forced back against the door, in desperation she used her magic to form a bubble around herself. Slowly the bubble expanded forcing back what had become a wall of ponies pushing and shoving their way to the door.

Twilight stood behind the bubble which was now about 4 feet in diameter. The bubble had served to stop a lot of the shoving as everypony could see it had become a useless effort. But any resemblance of a line had collapsed. Eagerly the ponies looked in on Twilight confused and ready to bolt should the bubble drop.

“Everypony be patient. Rarity will be right out.” As Twilight said this, the door swung open and Rarity calmly strutted out as if on cue.

“Oh my, Darling, what happened out here? Why is this tacky bubble over my front door?” Twilight raised a hoof to point at the ponies that had begun a slow rumble of conversation as a response to Raritys’ emergence.

“It’s to keep them from trying to rush in the door. I don’t know how long I can hold them back so I hope that you’re coming to say you’re ready to see some of them.” Rarity looked out at the group of ponies.

“Well by all means darling let them in.” Twilight’s hoof dropped as she looked at Rarity in confusion. “The door can only let in two at a time. If you use your magic to close it after each pair enters I should be able to handle it.” Twilight followed Rarity inside and dropped the force field around the door. Ponies slowly filtered in and order returned in a sense.

After an hour or so the last of the orders were placed and Rarity was busier then ever making new dresses, much to Applejack’s dismay. When it was apparent that Twilight’s help was no longer needed, she went to pick up Owloysius.

“Now hold up there.” Came Applejacks voice. “Twilight, you ain’t leaving me hear alone are ya? I don’t think I can take much more of this frilly stuff.” Twilight turned to Applejack as she put Owloysius on her back.

“I’m sure you will be fine Applejack. Just think of how grateful Rarity is.”

“You mean not a’tall?”

“Applejack, now you know that’s not true.”

“I’ll put the farm on a bet that says she won’t give me a lick a thanks.”

“ Even if she doesn’t say it she’s still very grateful that you would do something like this for her. If you needed something I’m sure she would come to help you. You’ll be fine, unfortunately though I have some bad news.”

“Nothing can be worse then what I’m already in. What is it?”

“Fluttershy says she’s to busy with the new bunny families to have the girls over ‘til next week. She wants to, but it looks like she’s got her hooves full already.”

“Well, I guess that ain’t all bad, I wish everypony weren’t so busy.”

“I hope you find somepony Applejack, I’d offer to take care of them myself but you know what they’d do to the library.”

Applejack nodded. “I understand, I just hope I survive this frilly nonsense.”

“You’ll be fine.” Twilight said as she made her way out the door toward home. Now that the line of ponies was gone Ponyville had returned to its peaceful tranquility. Twilight walked along looking up at the clear blue of sky, endless rows of brightly colored houses stretching before her. She was so absorbed in the day’s brilliance she almost didn’t notice Rainbow Dash jumping in front of her.

“Twilight you gotta to help me!” Rainbow Dash said grabbing on to Twilight’s shoulders. “They’re right on my tail, I thought about what you said and I knew I couldn’t stay outside of town. So I came back to hide in Sugar Cube Corner with Pinkie but there was a patrol at the entrance. I think they saw me come this way, please, please, please help me find a place to hide!” Twilight put a hoof on Rainbows forelegs and lowered them to the ground calmly.

“Now, Rainbow Dash you need to calm down.”

“Calm down, CALM DOWN? They want me to WORK, on a sunny day like THIS, how can I calm down!” Twilight smiled at Rainbow dash. The cyan pony may be the element of loyalty, but she was by no means the element of subtlety.

“Why don’t you come back to the library with me. The patrol has already questioned me so I don’t think they will try looking for you there.”

“You want me to stay IN A LIBRARY on a day like this. That might be worse than working!”

“Well it’s that or you try to find another bush.” Rainbow Dash thought this over, Looking in every direction to see if a patrol was coming. Finally her eyes met Twilight’s again.

“Alright you make a good point, let’s get going. Hurry before they find me!” With that, Twilight and Rainbow Dash made their way back to the library; Rainbow hopping from fruit stands, bushes, and behind startled ponies as she avoided the sight of passing squadrons.

When they arrived Twilight was practically shoved through the door by Rainbow Dash who then slammed it shut. Flying around the library she checked to be sure they were alone, shutting every window shade and checking behind every door. Satisfied by what she had found, she dropped herself down on Twilight’s bed in the middle of the stacks of books. The book Twilight had been reading the night before flew off the bed into one of the stacks scattering them on the floor.

“Boy Twilight, you sure have a lot of stuff just lying around.” Rainbow Dash said as she looked at the mess. Twilight sat Owloysius on his stand and made her way upstairs to Rainbow Dash

“Rainbow I didn’t exactly think I’d have company today, plus I had a study session last night.” Rainbow sat up and opened her mouth pretending to insert a hoof.

“I don’t get you Twilight, how can you sit around and read ALL the time. I mean, reading isn’t always bad, but a lot of its BOOOORING!” Rainbow Dash fell back on to the bed to emphasize her point. Without moving to see Twilight’s response she added, “What were you reading anyway?” Twilight picked up the book she had been reading when she fell asleep from its resting place on the floor. Using her magic she held it in front of Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow adjusted herself so she was sitting and then took the book. It was rather old, the tittle all but worn off. “Portal Walkers.” Said Rainbow Dash reading it. “What’s it about?”

“Well it’s actually very interesting. It’s a biography of various ponies who used there magic to transport large groups to places all over Equestria. It’s a guide on this spell and how it can be used to…”

“Wait hold up there, they could take a group of ponies anywhere?” Twilight stopped her summery to answer Rainbows question.

“In theory they could, but it’s been a long time since anypony has used this spell, I haven’t yet found out why.” Rainbow flipped quickly through the pages, her eyes darting from word to word.

“Twilight, this looks like it tells you how to cast it, can you do this spell?”

“Well I haven’t exactly mastered it, I’ve barely started, and…”

“So that’s a yes right?” Rainbow was getting excited; she hovered over the bed staring at Twilight. “You should take us all on vacation! The girls would have a blast in Filledelphia, or Manehatten, Even Las Pegasus!”

“Rainbow, I can’t just uproot everypony to go on vacation. Everypony is hard at work with there own lives. Rarity has a huge amount of dresses to make, Fluttershy and Pinkie have the new bunnies to look after, Applejack is still recovering from Applebuck season, it would be wrong to just force them to go somewhere when they’re busy with other things.”

“You wouldn’t be forcing them, in fact that’s exactly why you should do this. Think about it Twilight, everypony here is so overworked they need a vacation to keep from going crazy. Come on Twilight, what about for just a day, one day, how can that hurt? We travel somewhere new and exciting, have a good time and get back before anything can go wrong.”

Twilight thought about it, she knew her friends would all love an opportunity to relax. But she couldn’t ask them to just pack up and go. She started to say no again but Rainbow Dash was dead set on this idea. There was no way everypony would agree with this, was there?

“Alright Rainbow Dash, if, and only if you convince everypony to go, I’ll see what I can do.” Twilight hoped this would quiet Rainbow, but her smile only broadened as she flew to the door and, pausing only to check the sky, rushed out into Ponyville. Twilight knew Rainbow Dash; she was going to do everything she could to get this. Twilight stood looking down at the door for a moment before she made her way to her bookstand and placed the book in front of herself. At the very least she was going to be prepared.

* * *

A short time later five ponies entered Twilight’s tree, Rarity, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and lastly Rainbow Dash who quickly closed the door behind her. Twilight had been studying the book the majority of the time Rainbow was gone and was surprised at the sound of the door slamming. But after seeing her friends she walked to the door to greet them.

“Hello everypony, I don’t know what Rainbow Dash has told you, but…” Twilight paused as she noticed the saddlebags each pony had on their backs, all fully packed. “Rainbow, what did you tell them?” Rainbow looked at Twilight proudly.

“I told them we’re going on a picnic. They all brought some food and essentials. Blanket, plates, boots, umbrellas-”

Twilight interrupted. “What, why all this? I thought we were just going for a few hours to get away from Ponyville.”

“Well at first I went to Applejack to see if she could bring snacks I could bribe Pinkie with.” Rainbow Dash pointed to Pinkie Pie who dug into her pack for an apple tart she proceeded to devour. “Applejack herself wasn’t easy to convince, I had to find somepony to help Big Macintosh watch Applebloom and get Rarity to promise not to make her wear a dress wherever we where going.” Applejack cast a suspicious glance at Rarity, who returned a smile.

“Rarity wouldn’t talk to me at first, but I heard her say she wanted inspiration so she could put a new style on her dresses or something. I told her we were going some where far away from Ponyville and it would give her as many girly ideas as she could want. So she said she needed to bring supplies to get at least some of whatever she was doing done and make some drawings.”

Rarity interrupted here “I believe you mean designs Dash.” Rainbow Dash waved her off with a motion of her hoof.

“Sure, sure, designs whatever. All that left was Fluttershy, and let me tell you I had an easier time convincing Cheerilee to help watch Applebloom. I eventually got her to go by promising to find somepony to take care of the bunnies. So I…”

“You’ve only been gone an hour! How did you do all this?” Twilight said with a mixture of amazement and shock. Rainbow looked at Twilight and smiled mischievously.

“Sounds like your not prepared. You need more time to get that spell ready.” Twilight’s ears fell back, but she tried hard to keep a confident face.

“Its not that Rainbow, the spell is actually very simple. It’s just, I don’t know what specifically I want.” Twilight turned around and looked into the book. “The book says the portals could literally take you anywhere, so you have to be specific on where you want to go. Such as if I wanted to go to Cloudsdale city hall. If I just told the portal to take me to Cloudsdale, I could end up anywhere in the city. In the rainbow waterfall, on top the tallest building, or even inside the cloud the whole city’s built on.”

Fluttershy started to back away from the group. “This doesn’t sound very safe.”

Twilight looked behind herself to see her friends. “Well as long as we say exactly where we want to end up it should be fine.”

“I don’t know about y’all,” said Applejack, stepping toward Twilight. “But If we can go anywhere, I think it be real neat to see how far away we can get, lets tell this fancy portal to take us as far from Ponyville as possible.”

“Oh, Applejack.” came Rarity’s voice, from the group by the door. “Did you not hear what Twilight said, if we go as far away from Ponyville as we can we could end up somewhere ridiculous, like the moon, or blank space. And I am not prepared to go on such an expedition.”

Twilight walked to the group of her friends and faced Rarity and Applejack. “Rarity’s right, let’s say we want to go to the farthest place away that’s comfortable, that way we know we won’t end up somewhere ridiculous.”

“I’d also like to go somewhere exotic, give myself a fresh perspective for my dresses.” Rarity said “But not to cold, I didn’t pack a scarf.”

Applejack said to Twilight. “Not to warm neither, I don’t want to end up in a desert, or rainy forest, or where ever the place is Rarity goes to fill her head with such hot air.” Rarity glared at Applejack but said nothing.

“Alright, exotic but not to warm or cold. Anything else?” Asked Twilight as she turned to Rainbow Dash. Rainbow had grown bored of the conversation and shook her head to focus herself.

“Hey, I don’t care where we go as long as we get going.” Twilight looked at Fluttershy who turned away, but said in a hushed tone.

“I’d like to get going to please. I don’t want to be away for too long. Angel might not be able to handle the little ones even with help. Let’s just go somewhere peaceful.” Twilight nodded her head and made her way to a space she had cleared near the center of the library.

“Everypony stay back.” She said as she warmed up her magic allowing her horn to glow. As the magic built itself her horn gradually became brighter and brighter, the other ponies had to turn away to keep from being blinded by the light. Slowly, a large gray vertical line drew itself from the floor to nearly six feet into the air. Twilight released the magic and her horn stopped glowing. The ponies all gathered around the line that had formed itself.

“THAT’S supposed to be a portal?” Said Rainbow Dash unimpressed. Twilight turned to her to explain.

“This is a portal without a destination. We need to tell it where to go.” Twilight stepped up to the portal and spoke as loud as she could without shouting. “Rip in space save me time, take me to where I may find, a place as far from here as we can go that’s exotic, sunny, not to warm or cold…”

“Or rainy” said Applejack

“…or rainy…”

“Or dirty” said Rarity.

“…or dirty…”

“Actually let’s make it not to windy, I kind of want to fly” said Rainbow Dash.

“…OR WINDY.” Twilight almost shouted. The line split open forming a tall purple opening about four by six feet the same color as Twilight’s magic. Twilight stepped forward and looked at the purple fog that obscured their destination. Turning back to her friends she said, “It looks rather stable, I think it worked.”

“How can ya tell, looks like a bunch of blobs to me.” Said Applejack staring squinty eyed at the portal.

“Who cares, it’s open, let’s go.” Said Rainbow Dash galloping into the portal, disappearing from sight. Pinkie Pie bounded up to the portal, and stuck her head through. Without a word she stepped all the way in and vanished. As one by one the ponies entered the portal, Twilight found herself slightly worried. There was after all no telling where they were going. However as Rarity, Applejack, and finally Fluttershy walked through, Twilight put on a brave face and gathered her courage. Approaching the portal, she stepped into a new and unknown destination.