• Published 29th Mar 2018
  • 750 Views, 58 Comments

Po-Ni-Oh! 5D’s: The Stars Are the Limit - Master_Birdlion



Soarin only wanted to bring hope to the people of Satellite, but in doing so, he ends up getting pulled into something much bigger than he knew was possible. Duelists, dragons, and gods clash in a battle for the fate of the world.

  • ...
4
 58
 750

Episode 1: Acceleration!

Author's Note:

Well, here’s something I’ve been wanting to do since I started watching 5D’s. Depending on how well received this is, I’ll probably update soon. A few notes before we begin:

1.) Cards from all eras of Yu-Gi-Oh! will be used. Yes, there will be some Link era cards, but no Link monsters or Link format.
2.) Turbo Dueling will be going through an evolution! I’ll be sort of combining the rules from 5D’s and Arc-V. Speed Spells won’t be used. Instead, there will be Speed Cards scattered around the track, which are like Action Cards that you need speed counters to use.

Now that that’s taken care of, I hope you enjoy! Let’s kick this fanfic into overdrive!

Neo Canterlot City was a glowing beacon of hope for Duelists around the globe. Here, there was a chance to become a champion of the latest Dueling sensation: Turbo Dueling. The thrill of battling against your opponents on the motorcycle-like machines known as D-Wheels was a feeling unlike any other. Of course, that’s not to say it was easy. To actually be a champ, one first had to defeat the best Duelist around. The Queen of the Course, the Wheeling Wonder, the Master of Faster. No matter which of her titles was used, Spitfire was known across the land as undefeated.

She was in a rather tight spot at the stadium at this moment, though.

“This could be it, folks!” an announcer shouted into his microphone. “After two years of an unbroken win streak, is our Queen about to be dethroned by Blueblood and his Blue-Eyes?!”

Blueblood laughed as he pulled his D-Wheel up alongside Spitfire’s. “You’re finished! It’s time these people had a real champion to reign over the track!” he taunted. “You have no chance of bouncing back while I have three Blue-Eyes White Dragons on the field! Attack directly with white lightning!”

Spitfire smirked. “The Queen of the Course always has a backup plan!” she said. “I activate my trap card No Entry! This forces every face-up monster on the field into defense mode!”

“Hmph. A minor inconvenience at worst,” Blueblood snorted. “Turn end.”

Blueblood
LP: 2600; Hand: 4; Speed Counters: 3
Spitfire
LP: 300; Hand: 2; Speed Counters: 2

“My turn!” Spitfire bellowed. She whipped a card out from her deck as the two D-Wheels rounded a corner. “Since I have no monsters out, I can Special Summon my Vice Dragon from my hand by cutting its attack and defense points in half! And then I summon the tuner monster Dark Resonator!” A large dragon and a masked fiend with a tuning fork emerged on the field.

Blueblood gulped. “A tuner and a non-tuner…!” he added up. “You can’t possibly be about to…!”

“She’s actually doing it!” the announcer said excitedly.

“Level three Dark Resonator tunes level five Vice Dragon!” Spitfire shouted. Her Resonator flew up into the air and broke down into three green energy rings. The Vice Dragon flew up so the rings would circle around it, breaking down into five small stars, and Spitfire began to chant. “The heartbeat of the Queen forms a line here! Witness the power of the rumbling heavens!” A blinding beam of light flashed through the rings, and a roar could be heard. “I Synchro Summon! Behold, the avatar of my soul! Red Dragon Archfiend!”

“Incredible!” the announcer cheered. “Despite the seemingly insurmountable odds, our Queen has managed to summon her ace monster! But will it be enough?”

“It will be if I can get that first,” Spitfire said, having spied a Speed Card on the track ahead. These Speed Cards were part of what made modern Turbo Dueling so exciting. They were special cards scattered throughout the course that could give Duelists an advantage if they managed to grab them. Spitfire revved her engine and sped ahead, snatching the card at the last second. “I activate the Speed Card Synchro Speed Meteor! This allows one monster that was Synchro Summoned this turn to attack once for each speed counter I have, so that’s two!”

Blueblood scoffed. “That won’t do much good. I have three monsters on the field, so you won’t be getting to my Life Points.”

“Guess again!” Spitfire shot back. “After damage calculation, if Red Dragon Archfiend attacked a monster that’s in defense mode, all of your defense-position monsters bite the dust! Go, Red Dragon Archfiend! Attack with absolute powerforce!” Her enormous dragon shot a blast of blazing fire from its mouth, incinerating the three Blue-Eyes White Dragons.

“What?! But my dragons are invincible!” Blueblood cried.

“Might wanna tell them that,” said Spitfire. “And now, because of the effect of Synchro Speed Meteor, Red Dragon Archfiend can attack again and wipe out the rest of your Life Points! Scorching crimson hellfire!”

Winner: Spitfire

Blueblood’s D-Wheel skidded to a stop as the automatic breaks were applied, and he threw his helmet to the ground in anger. “This is an outrage! I demand a rematch!” he shouted, but his pleas fell on deaf ears as his opponent was swarmed by the paparazzi.

“Miss Spitfire, that was quite the comeback you made!” a reporter said, holding her microphone out to Spitfire.

Spitfire chuckled and took the mic in her hand. “What comeback? I was never in any danger. If he had some way to stop my trap, or even my dragon, I had Battle Fader in my hand since turn one. Either way, I had everything planned out for a victory. But it was still fun to toy with him.”

“What would you say was the biggest contributor to your success?” another reporter asked.

“Let me answer your question with another question. What do you think it takes to be the best?” Spitfire replied. “The answer: superior drive and superior skill. Those are two things that I acquired in my long Dueling career. Without them, I wouldn’t be the Queen!”

The crowd cheered and began chanting her name. Truly, Neo Canterlot City was a city of stars.

But you can’t have stars without darkness, and for this city, that darkness came in the form of Satellite. It was an island in the literal and figurative sense, and quite the opposite of the glittering paradise of the city. This was where all the unwanted junk was left, and to call the living conditions slums would be generous. The people of Satellite had to survive on scraps, and the way they were treated would make anyone with a sense of decency nauseous to even think about it. But even with so little, they still had their dream to one day get out of there and into the city’s gleaming metropolis. And right now, one particular Satellite citizen was working hard to make that dream a reality.

Soarin zoomed through an abandoned subway tunnel on a homemade D-Wheel. “Come on, just a little faster…” he urged his vermillion machine. He revved the engine and began to pick up speed. However, it wouldn’t last long. An error message flashed across the screen, and the D-Wheel spluttered to a slow halt. “Dammit! So close!” Soarin shouted. He jumped off the vehicle and began to push it back the way he had come, sighing. “Don’t worry, old girl. I’m not giving up yet.”

After a long time rolling his machine back down the tunnel, Soarin eventually returned to his hidden workshop where his friends were waiting. “Another failure?” asked Thunderlane, the oldest among them.

Soarin took off his helmet and shook his head. “Not a failure. Just another way not to make a faster D-Wheel,” he said. “I just need to find a way to make the Moment engine more compatible with the older control system.”

“We’ve tried everything we can,” said Clear Skies. “But it’s not like the asshole topsiders are gonna throw away parts that are good enough to get you out.”

“Then we’ll work with what we have. It’s what we Satellites do,” Soarin replied. “No matter what, I’m gonna get to Spitfire.”

Thunderlane nodded. “She’s gonna pay for what she did two years ago, betraying us and stealing your best card.”

Rumble, the youngest member of the group, entered the workshop with a grin. “Guys! You’ll never guess what I found!” he said in excitement, holding out his hands.

Thunderlane looked over at him and gasped. “Is that a control chip?”

Rumble nodded. “A brand new G3, top of the line! This should solve the compatibility issue!”

“Where did you get this?” Clear Skies asked. “You didn’t steal it, did you? Because Sector Security could track your marker if you did.”

“No way! I didn’t steal anything!” Rumble insisted, covering a yellow mark on his cheek self-consciously. “And even if I did, Soarin deserves it more than anyone else.”

Soarin hummed and took the chip, swapping it out for the older one in his D-Wheel. Instantly, the machine roared to life. “Looks like the engine is taking to it pretty well,” he observed.

“Awesome!” Rumble said, grinning excitedly. “Go take it for a spin and see what it can—!”

A searchlight suddenly blazed through a hole in the ceiling, causing everyone to look up. “Attention, fugitives! We have you surrounded!” said a voice amplified by a megaphone. “Come out with your hands behind your heads and nobody has to get hurt! This will be your only warning!”

Thunderlane swore under his breath. “It’s Sector Security,” he muttered, glancing at Rumble. “Are you sure you didn’t steal that chip?”

“I didn’t steal it!” Rumble repeated. Then Soarin gave him a stern look and he sighed. “Well… steal is a very strong word. I more so… secretly borrowed it with no intention of ever giving it back.”

“That’s pretty much the definition of stealing!” Clear Skies said incredulously.

“We don’t have time to argue,” said Soarin. He hooked up an electrode to Rumble’s marker and tapped a few keys on a nearby computer console. “There. That should disable the tracker long enough for you to escape. I’ll keep them busy.”

“What do you mean keep them busy?” Thunderlane asked.

Soarin put on his helmet and hopped on the D-Wheel. “Just trust me.” He revved the engine and sped off up a ramp to the streets above.

“Wait, Soarin!” Rumble cried out.

“Come on. Let’s get out while he’s giving us the chance,” said Thunderlane. The others nodded and escaped through the tunnel.

“You have thirty seconds to come out!” the security officer with the megaphone shouted. Then the squadron heard the roar of the engine as Soarin emerged.

Another officer with a D-Wheel smirked. “I’ve got him now. All chasers, follow him!”

Soarin grinned. “Just as planned,” he muttered. “And this new control chip is working like a charm. Not only am I moving faster, but I’m moving smoother too.” He rode his machine threw several alleyways and eventually pulled to a stop, letting security catch up a bit.

The officer at the head of the pack skidded to a halt, laughing to himself. “Well well well. Soarin. I finally found you.”

“Flash Sentry,” Soarin replied. “I see you finally got that promotion you were after.”

“That’s right, and your group is done evading Sector Security,” Flash said. “Especially after the little guy stole that chip.”

“I have a better idea,” said Soarin. “You’re a Duelist, right? What would you say to a Turbo Duel? If you win, I’ll come quietly and take all the blame for the theft. If I win, you leave Rumble alone and call off the chase.”

Flash laughed. “A Duel? You’re just a pathetic piece of Satellite trash! I bet you don’t even have a deck to face me with!”

Soarin reached into his jacket’s inside pocket and pulled out a deck of Duel Monsters cards. “I put one together.”

“Sir, you can’t seriously be considering this,” one of the other officers said.

“Head back to headquarters,” Flash ordered. “I can handle things here.”

The officers seemed surprised, but they all nodded and rode off.

Flash tapped a few buttons on the console of his D-Wheel. “You’ve got yourself a deal. I’ll crush you in less than a minute.”

“We’ll see,” said Soarin.

The computers on their vehicles linked up in preparation. “Duel mode on. Autopilot standing by,” a feminine-sounding AI said. “Duel lane selected.”

“I’m activating the field spell Speed World Accel!” Flash declared.

“Speed Cards dispersed,” the AI said.

“Let’s ride!” Soarin said as they turned their D-Wheels in the direction of the selected lane. A holographic counter appeared in front of them and began counting down to zero.

“TURBO DUEL! ACCELERATION!” both Duelists shouted, and they sped off so the match could begin.

Soarin
LP: 4000; Hand: 5; Speed Counters: 0
Flash
LP: 4000; Hand: 5; Speed Counters: 0

“I’m going first!” Flash said. “And I summon Heroic Challenger- Thousand Blades!” An armored warrior with a bladed spear in his hands and several swords sprouting from his back in a wing-like formation appeared on the field. “I’ll activate his special ability! By discarding a Heroic monster from my hand and changing him to defense mode, I can summon another Heroic monster from my deck! For the rest of this turn, I’ll only be able to summon other Heroics, but that’s fine by me. Join the battle, Heroic Challenger- Assault Halberd!” Another warrior appeared next to his D-Wheel, this one with violet armor and a wicked-looking halberd. “Then I’ll set one card and end my turn. And of course, during the end phase, we both get a speed counter on our Speed World Accels.”

Soarin
LP: 4000; Hand: 5; Speed Counters: 1
Flash
LP: 4000; Hand: 2; Speed Counters: 1

“My turn! I draw!” Soarin began. “I summon Speed Warrior!” A slim humanoid monster with a mask and wheeled feet sprinted from behind them and into position, easily keeping pace with the D-Wheels.

Flash smirked. “Only 900 attack points? That monster is as worthless as you,” he taunted.

“Don’t sell my monster short,” Soarin shot back. “During the battle phase of the turn he’s normal summoned, Speed Warrior’s original attack points double! And I’m equipping him with the spell card Synchro Boost! This gives the equipped monster 500 extra attack points and one level!”

“So when the battle phase begins, it’ll have enough attack points to defeat my monster?!” Flash realized.

“That’s right! Speed Warrior, attack his Assault Halberd!” Soarin commanded. “Sonic edge!”

Flash winced. “You may have defeated my Halberd, but Thousand Blades is still on the field!” he shouted.

“Not for long!” Soarin said. He swerved his D-Wheel to the side and grabbed a card. “I activate the Speed Card Double-Edged! By paying one speed counter, a monster I control that destroyed a monster by battle can attack again and inflict piercing damage this turn! Take out Thousand Blades!”

“Damn…!” Flash grunted. “That’s a heavy hit.”

“And since you took more than a thousand damage from it, you lose a speed counter! Not so trashy anymore, huh?” Soarin taunted. “I set two cards facedown. Turn end.”

Soarin
LP: 4000; Hand: 2; Speed Counters: 1
Flash
LP: 2300; Hand: 2; Speed Counters: 1

“My turn!” Flash growled. He drew, then revved his engine and zoomed ahead of Soarin to grab another card on the track. “I’m activating a Speed Card of my own: Aid of the Fallen! I can only activate this when I have the same number of speed counters as my opponent! By banishing a monster that was destroyed by battle from my Graveyard, I can add a monster of the same type from my deck to my hand!”

Soarin gulped. “So you can get any warrior you want?”

“Exactly!” Flash said with a smirk. “I banish Assault Halberd to take a second copy of him!” His deck was automatically shuffled by the D-Wheel, and the chosen card was ejected into his hand. “Now, since you control a monster and I don’t, I can Special Summon my Assault Halberd from my hand, and then I normal summon my Warrior Dai Grepher!”

“Two monsters on the field again,” Soarin muttered.

“You may be worthless Satellite trash, but I’m smart enough to realize that you’re tougher than you look,” said Flash. “That’s why I’m going all out! I use my level four Assault Halberd and Warrior Dai Grepher to build the Overlay Network!” His monsters glowed and transformed into energy before flying into a portal that opened between the two Duelists.

“Huh?!” Soarin gasped.

“You hit my Life Points! Now I’m gonna demolish yours!” Flash shouted as a red-armored knight with two units circling it and a glittering sword emerged from the portal. “I Xyz Summon! Tremble before the holy might of Heroic Champion- Excalibur!”

“I need a Speed Card…!” Soarin said, zooming forward.

“You won’t have the opportunity to reach one!” Flash taunted. “I activate Excalibur’s special ability! By removing both of his overlay units, his attack points double until the end of your turn!” His monster absorbed the units into his sword and roared a battle cry. “Excalibur, wipe out his Speed Warrior with holy sword strike!”

“I can avoid damage with the trap Scrap-Iron Scarecrow!” Soarin countered, flipping up his card. A metal scarecrow appeared in front of his warrior. “This negates a single attack, then sets itself facedown to be used again later!”

“I was expecting a useless card like that,” Flash said with a smirk. “I’m activating the counter trap card Dark Bribe! This will negate and destroy your Scrap-Iron, but you get to draw a card!”

Soarin winced as his Speed Warrior was destroyed, then pulled a card from the top of his deck. “Good thing I had another trap ready! Miracle’s Wake! This revives a monster that was destroyed by battle this turn, so I’ll do what we Satellites do best and recycle my Speed Warrior!”

“You honestly think it’ll help you now?” Flash laughed. “I end my turn. You’re going to the scrap heap where you belong.”

Soarin
LP: 1400; Hand: 3; Speed Counters: 1
Flash
LP: 2300; Hand: 2; Speed Counters: 2

Rather than look worried, Soarin seemed confident. “My turn! Draw!”

“It’s not too late to surrender, Soarin,” Flash offered, an infuriatingly smug look on his face.

“Not happening,” said Soarin. “You know what the funny part is? You keep calling me trash. I’m literally using a Junk deck, and I’m still gonna beat you. I activate the spell card that your Dark Bribe let me draw: Tuning! By sending the top card of my deck to the Graveyard, I can add to my hand one tuner monster with the word Synchron in its name!”

Flash gasped. “A tuner?! How did a Satellite like you end up with tuners?!”

Soarin smirked. “It’s surprising what you topsiders throw away these days,” he said. “I send a card to the grave to add Junk Synchron to my hand! And now I normal summon him and activate his special ability! This lets me bring back a level two monster from my Graveyard in defense mode!”

“Good thing you don’t have any of those,” Flash said.

“Are you sure about that? Because it just so happens that the card I had to mill was the level two Digitron!” Alongside Soarin’s short orange monster appeared a white monster that looked like a computer. “And now, since I Special Summoned a monster with 1500 or less attack points while you have a monster out, I can activate the spell card Inferno Reckless Summon! This card will summon all monsters with the same name as the monster I brought out from my hand, deck, or Graveyard! I summon two more Digitrons from my deck! And now, you can do the same thing with one of your monsters.”

“I have two more copies of Excalibur,” Flash said, “but they’re both in my extra deck, so I can’t bring them out!”

“And now for the fun part! I tune level three Junk Synchron with level two Speed Warrior!” Soarin declared. His tuner pulled a cord on its back and flew up into the air, turning into three green energy rings. Speed Warrior jumped through the rings and turned into two orbs of light. “The stars come together to form a new power! Become the light that shows the way!” Soarin chanted, a beam flashing through the rings. “I Synchro Summon! Come forth! JUNK WARRIOR!”

Flash sighed in relief as the blue mechanical warrior appeared. “Oh, good. Just more trash. I was actually worried for a second,” he said. “That thing still needs 1700 more attack points to even match Excalibur right now.”

“I activate Junk Warrior’s special ability!” Soarin shouted. “When this monster is Synchro Summoned, it gains all the attack points of every level two or lower monster currently on my field! My three Digitrons are all level two, and each one is giving Junk Warrior 1500 attack points!”

“But that’ll bring it up to 6800!” Flash cried.

“More than enough to finish Excalibur and you!” said Soarin. “Junk Warrior! Attack Heroic Champion- Excalibur! Scrap fist!”

Flash pushed his D-Wheel to the limit. He had spied a Speed Card ahead and was desperate to grab it before he was struck. But when he got it… “Ah! Attack Penalty! It’s a Speed Trap!”

Soarin smirked. “Looks like your monster is losing half of its attack points,” he said. “Junk Warrior, finish him! Show Flash just how powerful this trash can be!” His monster charged at the opposing knight, an aura of pure power glowing around its fist, then brought its arm forward to deliver a powerful punch.

Winner: Soarin

Flash yelled in frustration as his D-Wheel’s automatic brakes activated, forcing him to stop while the holograms faded away and his intended prey vanished into the distance. “Damn you, Soarin!” he growled. “I’m keeping my word, but this is far from over! I’ll make you pay for this humiliation!”

Much later, Soarin stopped his ride at the shore. Looking across the vast expanse of water, he could see the skyline of Neo Canterlot City. “Spitfire…” he muttered. “I’m coming for you soon. Be ready.”

Little did he know that Spitfire was looking in his direction as well from the balcony of her penthouse. In her hand was a card, but not her Red Dragon Archfiend. “Soarin. I know you’re coming to get this back. Be sure to bring your best,” she said, walking back inside and setting the card next to her deck on the table.

And that card was Stardust Dragon. A monster that had once belonged to her former friend.