• Published 26th Mar 2018
  • 758 Views, 16 Comments

Chronicles of Arche - Spellbounder



The story of a stallion and his never ending struggle to protect Equestria

  • ...
5
 16
 758

Ch.20- Plagues of the Past Part 5

There she was, as elegant and beautiful as ever. There wasn’t a single pony alive who didn’t know of Princess Celestia. The symbol she stood for to all mares and stallions of Equestria. But to actually be in presence of her was a dream come true. This was a moment Arche would never forget. He began to sweat, keeping his head down in front of her. His mind was racing like crazy. He couldn’t screw this up, no matter what happens. As a soldier, you pledge your service and actions in her own name. You are to protect your fellow comrades like they were your kin. To disappoint Celestia would make you a disgrace to the entire army. Might as well throw away your armor and remove yourself from the streets of day. Unfit to bask in the warm rays of the sun to which she delivers every morning. Failure was unacceptable to Arche.

“Are you feeling well, young one?”

He keeps his head down, shaking nervously. Was he not addressing her properly? What should he do? Nod his head to indicate he was fine, or simply speak up? Was he even allowed to speak? Nothing but questions spiraled around in his head, making him sweat even more. If he didn’t do something soon, who knows how she’ll react. Quickly, he found the courage to finally utter a sentence to her.

“I..I..I..I…I am fine, Princess. Forgive me….I….don’t mean to act so ridiculous in your presence. Really, I only…”

Suddenly, she extends her hoof underneath the young stallion’s chin. Arche feels his head lifting up, now gazing into her beautiful purple eyes. His fears and doubts began to vanish in an instance. Who stood before him was a living god to all of Equestria, but in that moment, all he saw now was just another pony like himself, greeting him with a caring warm smile.

“You have nothing to be afraid of, my dear. I’ve looked forward to this meeting for quite a while now.”

A slight blush formed on his cheeks, hearing her lovely voice. She truly was a majestic sight to see. Arche breathes in slowly, keeping his focus as he finally straightened himself out, chest out, face forward.

“It’s an honor to stand before you, Princess Celestia. I hope I didn’t make you feel uncomfortable, madam.”

She lets out a small chuckle, turning her head slightly as she looks at Arche. Celestia could tell he was trying really hard to impress her.

“It’s no problem at all, Mr. Arche. Relax, take a few breaths, you don’t need to act so formal in front of me.”

The princess sits down on her throne, levitating two small glass cups using her magic. She pours some tea into each with such elegance, before placing them on the small table beside her. There were a few small cakes beside the tea. This reminded Arche of the Canterlot article he read a few days prior, talking about the top five bakeries recommended by the princess herself. He never believed it was actually true until gazing at those small cakes. The way it was decorated was proof that it came from the Truffles and Treats Bakery, right outside the castle grounds. Arche would have to try them someday.

“Would you care for some tea, Mr. Arche? Perhaps a cake as well?”

“Oh….I wouldn’t want to impose.”

“Nonsense, please, I insist.”

“As…As you wish, madam.”

He slowly trots up the steps of the throne, sitting across from Celestia. Using his own magic, he slowly raises the cup to his lips, sipping the tea. As he does, the princess notices something wrong with his magic. The colorful energy field around the cup was slowly starting to fade, as if he was losing control of it. His eyes were also clenched, struggling to focus.

“Do you need any help?”

Arche lowers the cup, breathing heavily. At first, Celestia believed the poor stallion was still nervous to be in her presence, however, this actually wasn’t the case. Something else was bothering him.

“I’m fine…..”

“Your magic…..is there something wrong with it?”

This was the last thing Arche wanted any pony to find out. What cruel joke that he’d have to tell Princess Celestia herself what no pony in the military even remotely had a clue about. He could lie, but that would just make him feel worse. Besides, it was more clear to him now that the princess wasn’t a vengeful deity like the bed stories once told him. She was kind and gentle, a pony you could truly be honest to.

“I never could materialize magic well as a colt. Despite both my parents being unicorns, whenever I tried to lift anything with magic, or even perform a simple spell a filly could master, I start to feel light headed.”

“Oh my, I’m so sorry, I didn’t know.”

“No, it’s fine, Princess. The doctors call it ‘Magical Displacement’ disorder.”

“And…you’ve had this all your life?”

“Yes, Princess Celestia.”

“Despite this….you still enlisted as a soldier?”

“Yes…..the moment I turned eighteen, I registered.”

She smiles, admiring his dedication, yet surprised she wasn’t aware of his condition by her advisors.

“If I may ask, did you ever tell anypony else of your condition?”

“No, madam.”

“Why not?”

He goes silent, lowering his head once again. Celestia hoped she didn’t offend him.

“I’ve heard the stories of the war when I was a child. You and your forces against the threat of Nightmare Moon. I understood even then that there will always be a danger to Equestria. That we all have to do our part to protect the ones we care for most against the unknowns of the future ahead. If I told others about my condition, there was no way they’d ever let me enlist.”

“Yet….you’ve managed to do such…remarkable things. Saving your commanding officer, charging headfirst into battle to protect your friends. You are truly a remarkable soldier, Arche Stone.”

A small smile forms on his face, looking into Celestia’s beautiful eyes once more.

“All I’ve ever wanted was to follow your ideals, Princess Celestia. Keeping the peace you’ve given us for nearly a thousand years.”

She smiles back, levitating one of the cakes to him.

“I don’t have your medal yet, but consider this your official promotion cake.”

She lets out a small chuckle, as Arche grabs the cake with his hooves in confusion.

“Wait….what?”

“I want you to be the new Captain of my Royal Guard, Arche Stone.”

Author's Note:

I'M BACK! After months of hiatus, I bring you the next chapter in the story of Arche Stone! Hope you enjoy it! Any questions, feel free to comment!