• Published 26th Mar 2018
  • 758 Views, 16 Comments

Chronicles of Arche - Spellbounder



The story of a stallion and his never ending struggle to protect Equestria

  • ...
5
 16
 758

Ch.13- Fun at the Equestrian Games

Arche was quite impressed at the turnout for this year’s games. He remembers back in his early years participating, wasn’t nearly as many roaring ponies cheering with excitement. Seems that little dragon’s stunt really worked the crowd. Of course, it could’ve also been the performances by the Pegasus teams. One flyer really stole the show, despite only coming in second place. A rainbow colored mare flying at such incredible speeds that it left a literal streak of rainbows behind her flight path. There was something about this woman in the papers, about breaking the sound barrier in a huge explosion of rainbows, though Arche never believed it. Then again, he didn’t think a rainbow Pegasus existed either, but there she was, now being awarded a medal next to a yellow Pegasus, as well as a very large white Pegasus. His curiosity kicked in, tapping on the shoulder of the pony next to him.

“Excuse me, the rainbow mare, what team is she on?”

There was a look of confusion on the pony’s face, unsure what the Admiral was referring to until he finally figured out what he meant.

“You mean Rainbow DASH, not rainbow mare. Then again, that is what she is. Hahahaha…..she’s representing Ponyville.”

Ponyville, that small little town again. A lot has been going on in that town, even before that incident in the Everfree forest. He wasn’t sure why, but whenever there was something bizarre or unnatural going on in Equestria, Ponyville always somehow is either mentioned or involved in the matter. There was talk that this so called “Great and Honorable” Spike was even from Ponyville. Arche had also overheard ponies in the stand saying something about another dragon living in Ponyville. Looked exactly like Spike, but several stories tall, roaring in a lust of rage. Either these were simply rumors or not, Arche couldn’t ignore that Ponyville was known for getting its nose deep into trouble. What was it exactly that attracted all this nonsense?

“Even though she didn’t win the gold, I hear she’s in Princess Twilight’s inner circle.”

Twilight….Princess Twilight….why did that name sound so familiar? Canterlot wouldn’t stop talking about the rise of a new princess, but that’s all he ever heard. The Admiral was far too focused on his work in the Guard to get involved in the news of Royalty and Political affairs. Yet that name kept buzzing in his head. Where had he heard the name Twilight before? Was she associated with Ponyville? Surely that small damaged town didn’t need a princess. The questions kept flooding through his mind before several of the ponies around him began shouting with glee.

“OH! OH LOOK! IT’S HIM! THE GREAT AND HONORABLE SPIKE, THE BRAVE AND GLORIOUS!”

The whole coliseum erupts in applause as the contenders of the Games flying events stood proud with their medals. Shining Armor had just walked out to close this portion of the games when the small dragon announced he was going to sing their anthem. Strange, it was said he was from Ponyville. Why in Equestria would he sing the Cloudsdale Anthem? Isn’t he aware the only anthem played is for the first place winners? Something was wrong, even from where Arche was sitting, he could tell the dragon was having second thoughts, waving his hands in protest to Shining. The cheering grows louder, ponies screaming for their so called “savior” to sing for them. Arche just knew this wasn’t going to turn out well. The ponies around him had a different opinion, though that wouldn’t last long.

“Yeah! GO SPIKE! GO SPIKE! Go…..Spike?”

The cheering quickly began to disrupt, as the little dragon started mumbling random lyrics for what he assumed to be the Cloudsdale Anthem. Blubbering something about trees, and flying, and how he kept repeating that he wished the song was over. This went on for a whole minute, the lyrics sounding more random as he desperately tried to come up with the words. Arche had seen a lot in his life, but this was truly gruesome to watch. He couldn’t imagine how the dragon was feeling. When the music finally stopped, there was nothing but utter silence in the stands. However, there was a random chant coming from the higher seats in the coliseum. Some pathetic jokester claiming the small dragon had “nailed it.” Poor little thing ran off embarrassed, covering his face in his little hands.

“Jeez, that could’ve gone better.”

Arche rolls his eye, such an obvious statement. Literally over a thousand ponies had the exact same idea. As bad as it was, there were still more important matters to attend to. The Equestrian Games were far from over, and preparations were getting ready for the next events to follow. The rest of the games weren’t that much to excite over. Typical relay races, pole vaulting, the works. None of it really got the loud roaring cheers as the Pegasus events did. Seems anything that involved flying really stole the show. Then there was the final event. Now THIS was something to get really excited for. Shining had announced the Ice Archery Finals were about to commence. Yet something didn’t feel right to Arche.

“Wait, ICE archery? How long has that been going on?”

“Where have you been, old timer? It’s been like this for decades!”

Seems things really have changed since his time in the games. As a young unicorn, Arche used his magic to hold the bow and arrow a certain maneuver to perform the perfect shot almost every time. Yet nowadays, using magic in the games is deemed cheating. Arche even had to be equipped with a nullification spell to prevent use of his magic in the games. Sometimes he truly missed the days when he was young. It was a simpler time, before this violence with dangerous magic users, environmental disasters, and changelings.

“Changelings…..before….changelings….”

Arche watched the ice arrows slam into the target boards. For some reason, each time an arrow was shot, a strange sound erupts in his eardrums. Another arrow fired, the sounds getting louder. A quiet hissing began to fill his mind. It slowly began to increase in volume, soon the chanting and applause of the ponies around him were barely heard. All he could hear now was that infernal hissing!

“GET DOWN!”

In the blink of an eye, he was now in a forest. An armored pony had just pushed Arche down on all four hooves. The sounds of arrows being fired were heard, fired right behind him. Hissing turned to agonizing screams, a changeling collapses right in front of Arche and the soldier next to him. His mane was red, coat light orange. This didn’t make sense, he had been gone for over two decades. This forest, the pony in front of him, all had to be an illusion. There was no way this was-

“Zed Blaze? How is this even possible!?!”

“Come on Admiral, don’t go losing it on me just yet. If there’s one of them here, there’s bound to be a dozen more. What are your orders, sir?”

Before him was his entire squadron of soldiers, their Royal Guard armor plates baring the insignia of the Admiral’s own cutie mark, a sword crossed with a wave of aura. It all looked so real, was it real?

“Sir? We need you here, what are your orders?”

“Orders? Yes……orders…..scan the forest, if you see a changeling….waste not the chance. Exterminate them like the bugs they are.”

Author's Note:

Been a little over a week, but I finally got around to making another chapter! Arches point of view of a familiar episode of MLP, with another dive into his past!