• Published 24th Mar 2018
  • 1,343 Views, 27 Comments

Throughout the Sun and Stars - Izzy_



Sunset is trying to cope with her nightmares, and with her feelings for Twilight and equestria at stake, what's a reformed ex-villain ought to do?

  • ...
1
 27
 1,343

Chapter lV

Everyone woke up from the nap they always have before this celebration to be able to stay up the following night.


The friends met up in the castle foyer to go to the celebration. Together, of course.


As they were walking on the straight dusty pavement, Pinkie spoke up,


"Oooooooh, I’m so EXCITED!!" The party pony’s hair was just as bouncy as the mare itself.


"For what exactly?" Sunset asked, "The last celebration I came to was just watching the princess put the sun up and then going back to my studies.”


The pink pony gasped, “WHAT?! So you’re saying you didn’t PARTY?!” Pinkie Shouted, Sunset swore she could hear a slight tinge of disgust in there as well.


The red-head laughed awkwardly, “No…?” she said in slight hesitation.


Before Pinkie replied a lavender coloured hoof covered her mouth, “Which means that this is her first proper Summer Sun Celebration party, so it makes it all the more fun if you ask me!”

Pinkie didn’t say anything and just energetically nodded in agreement.


Sunset rolled her eyes playfully, “C’mon Twi. We’ve been friend’s for YEARS now, you don’t need to lie to me.” She put great emphasis on the word ‘years’.


Twilight scoffed heartily “It’s true, I’ll bet it!”


“Well that’s bold,” She smirked, “Fine then, you’ll regret it though.”


Her last sentence made her stop in her tracks as the memory of her nightmares come into play.


Everyone kept on walking, not noticing that their friend had faltered almost tripping over her own hooves for being too lost in thought.


Everyone except Twilight.


Twilight depleted her walking pace to match Sunset's own, “Okay, now I definitely know something's on your mind, c’mon spill it.” She smiled warmly, shaking her friend's shoulder.


This got Sunset out of her thoughts, “Oh, it’s really nothing Twilight.”


“Well your actions say otherwise, you can tell me you know.”


“It's. Nothing.” the amber mare paused between her words.


“Sunset… You know you can-”


"'You know you can tell me anything'" Sunset mimicked, she snarled,
“If I told you to leave me alone would you do it!?” Her voice a bit louder and harsher than she was expecting, she stomped off and wedged passed all her other friends to get far in front.


All the other mares (plus a baby dragon) looked back to Twilight, all with questioning looks.


Twilight took a step back as a defeated sigh escaped her mouth.


Sunset may have looked angry and brash on the outside, but on the inside, her heart was pounding. She was anxious but more of an accurate term would be scared.


Well done Shimmer, you idiot. You didn’t have to shout at her.

Well, she wouldn’t leave you alone.

That’s no excuse to do what you did, she only wanted to help.

She could have done that by leaving us alone!

Well, you have to apologise now; That's going to be fun.



She groaned as she realised she was having a conversation with herself.
She rubbed her face, at this point it's going to be worn out by the end of the week by the number of times she’s done this action.


“I really am going insane…” She closed her eyes and wiped any hidden sleep in her eye.


Pinkie Pie came out of nowhere looking like she just fell from the sky,

“Ohhh, I wouldn’t say insane. I would say angry, you made Twilight’s earballs droop.”


Sunset jumped in surprise, “What? Earba-?…Really...? I…I didn’t mean to,” She groaned “I’m such an idiot!” Her ears fell as she smacked herself in the face.

She looked back at Twilight, who was staring thoughtfully at the ground. She sighed while looking forward again; concentrating on the road.


They were now hours into the party but the only thing on her mind was Twilight. She really wanted to talk to her, but she didn’t want to disrupt her conversation.

That was a lie, she’s seen her go through several conversations now and she still didn’t move. The only movement she made was replying to people friendly gestures and her obvious, very visible fidgeting.

She finally mustered up the courage to talk to Twilight and apologise for her sudden outburst earlier.

Every step felt heavier than the last, like every time her hoof touched the ground another tonne of bricks would be added. She slowly made her way to her friend who was getting a drink from the serving table, at this moment Sunset suddenly felt very warm and she felt like she was… shaking?



C’mon sunset, you shouted at her, not killed her whole family or something.



She inhaled and breathed a slow breath to steady her heartbeat. She picked up a plastic cup and got a ladle full of juice, she didn’t really want it though. She only did this action to pretend she came here for a drink, the real reason she was here was to talk to her friend of course.


“T-twilight? I..." She paused, "I just wanted to say I’m sorry,” She looked the opposite direction as she felt a pair of eyes on her, “I shouldn’t have lashed out, I was being irrational and stupid.” She almost shouted the last word, she clenched her eyes shut as she felt the sting of tears forming.


The mare was worried what Twilight's expression would be, hard? stern? angry? She craned her neck to see… soft, apologetic eyes?


What…?


The next thing she felt was a soft warm hug, the confusion of why was threatening to overwhelm her.


“You don’t need to apologise at all Sunset. If anything, it’s my fault, I should have left you alone to think.” She broke her hug and gazed softly at Sunset.


This made Sunset flush, “I-I, B-,” she spluttered.


The purple mares gaze went from soft to worried, “Sunset, are you okay?”


She replied almost immediately, “Y-yes! It’s just that… I should have acted differently.”


“Well let’s not dwell on it, okay? We’re supposed to be having fun tonight anyway,” She grabbed Sunsets hoof “So c’mon!” Twilight ran to the dance-floor, Sunset being dragged behind her.


Sunset was startled by this and was still trying to process what’s happening.


Sunset had to admit, this had been the best Summer Sun Celebration party she's ever been to. Well, she's not really been to any of the parties that were prior to Celestia actually raising the sun, she thought it was all a waste of time and stupid. If Pinkie ever met Sunset's past self, she would think Sunset was some kind of sin or something.


They were all now waiting for Princess Celestia herself to come out and raise the sun.



They waited.



And waited...


Rainbow Dash couldn't take it any longer,

“What’s taking her so long?!” Rainbow Dash was looking around like she would just see Celestia and say that she needs to raise the sun already.


“I-I don’t know…” There was a panic in Twilight's eyes, Sunset knew that expression all too well.


The amber mare put a hoof on Twilight's back to hopefully soothe her stress, “It’s okay, she’ll be here any minute now to raise it.” Sunset uttered optimistically, smiling nervously.


Silence, the night was still as dark as ever when it was supposed to be bright about half an hour ago.


Twilight looked like she was about to collapse under the stress. Sunset felt bad because all she could do was try and comfort her.


She was about to speak to her until...






BOOM




...A large and very loud explosion happened, the podium that Princess Celestia would of stood on to raise the sun was now in rubble and engulfed in a layer of scurrying lanky creatures.


Ponies were running and screaming as soon as the explosion happened, the creatures increasing in number as they got closer to the crowd.


As they got closer sunset could define their 'features',


The creatures were small and wide, their spines as sharp and ragged as broken glass. their forearms were thin and lanky but their back legs were stubby and fat. Their skin was a scaly matte grey. Its sharp, pointed claws echoed an eerie screech as they scraped across the floor, that noise would probably never leave Sunset's memory. Their tongues were like snakes' as it slid past their yellowy pointed teeth. But what Sunset found the most discomforting was the things' eyes. Their eyes were as black as an abyss, not even letting light escape its grasp.


They were running to ponies and even jumping on pegasi flying dozens of feet in the air, their jump was like a spring. They grabbed onto ponies' neck's as their pray fell to the floor gasping for air. But they weren't being strangled, no. They were being drained and put in a state which seemed to be some sort of coma, the creatures were sucking all the magical energy out of the ponies that were unlucky enough to get caught.


Sunset couldn't even process what was happening, how could she? An invasion from what appeared to be from some kind of demons are invading Canterlot.


She saw a bright flash of purple and a screech before she snapped out of it, "Twilight?!" Her heart thumped and her head banged.


"Are you okay?" She looked out of breath as her eyes darted across Sunset from horn to tail looking for any sustainable injuries, how long has Sunset been zoned out for?


Sunset could only stare at her, Twilight took that as an answer.


"We need to get out of here!" The alicorn screamed, not hiding any of her fear or stress, but you can't really blame her.


Sunset took a couple of short bursting breaths"Where are the others!?"


"I-I don't kn-"


"Twilight!"

Twilight screamed in surprise and pain as a claw of what seemed like knives dug into her fur.


Sunset's ears felt assaulted as they dropped, but she focused on the fact her friend was hurt more than any frequency of sound could. She shot a beam of cyan out her horn, the creature hissed and scurried across the ground and decided to get a different poor soul to 'feed' on.


She looked back to see Twilight bawling and struggling to breathe, it hurt Sunset's heart seeing her like this.


Sunset decided to take action, she shook her friend vigorously, "Twilight, we need to get out of here!" She looked around trying to spot any of them black eyes she has grown to hate in a matter of minutes.

"B-but.. t-the others, they need our help!" She groaned in pain


"We can't help them if we don't know where they are! And you're hurt, we need to-"


"Then we find them and I don't care about what's wrong with me!"


"WELL I DO! And they are fully capable of defending themselves!" she grabbed Twilight's hoof tightly, tears brimming in her eyes, "Please..."


Twilight stared at the tears falling down Sunset's cheek, as were hers.


"O-okay..." she replied with such hesitation that Sunset didn't even know there was any confirmation in there.

They both galloped, galloped as fast as their legs could take them. Their legs ached, and if it wasn't for Sunset being right next to her friend, Twilight would of fell right down on her face multiple times.


"I can't..." The princess' two front legs stopped working, "The cut..." she began to fall to the ground, "I feel dizz-" her head came in contact with the ground with a thud.


"TWILIGHT!" The amber mare, who was now covered in dirt, dust and blood, ran over to her friend and tried to get her on her back. She struggled for a couple of seconds but in the end, she succeeded.

Author's Note:

Well, something just got somewhat dark.


I couldn't go to Air Cadets due to an injury, so here's another chapterino for y'all




Have a good day mis amigos :moustache: