• Published 21st Feb 2018
  • 964 Views, 22 Comments

The Wings of Time - Lightning_Striker



Will the children of the four Princesses be able to defeat a great evil before it happens? Or will they, along with the rest of Equestria, crumble in defeat?

  • ...
1
 22
 964

Prologue: The Night of the Future

Prologue: The Night of the Future

Starlight Glimmer woke up to another day, assuming that she slept in again. However, as she rubbed her eyes with her hooves, she glanced outside, and saw that it was still night. As such, she decided to roll over and go back to bed, after determining how long she had left to sleep.

Starlight was essentially a master of time magic, even though she never actually time travelled. That would be far too dangerous, even if she had modified Starswirl the Bearded's spell. She lit up her horn to determine the approximate time, and her magic only confirmed that she did, in fact, sleep in. She looked back out, again to see that it was night. She knew Princess Luna well enough to know she would not try to take over Equestria again, especially now that she had a daughter, Trixie Lulamoon, who just so happened to be Starlight's best friend.

Starlight wandered into the hall of the Friendship Castle, and decided to check her moms' bedroom. Inside, she found their bed, neatly made, with their cutie marks on the covers, a purple star next to a red and gold sun. Starlight became increasingly worried, and teleported herself to the room with the Cutie Map. "Mum? Mom?" she called.

However, there was no response. A few minutes later, she heard a knock on the door. She swiftly teleported there, and opened the door to Sunburst.

"Starlight! The other Princesses are gone, please tell me your mom is still here!" he said in a panic.

"No, neither of my parents are here? What's happened? Where are the other Princesses?" Starlight asked. Just then, she saw a flying object getting closer. "Maybe that's one of them," she said, hopefully.

"Well, all of the main Princesses are gone, Flurry Heart is still here. She went to go check on Princess Luna after checking on me and mom," he explained.

Flurry Heart dropped Trixie to the ground before landing. "Geez, Trixie, you're hard to carry," she said.

"Well the Great and Powerful Trixie's magic is mostly illusion, I'm not that good at teleporting. Besides, flying is faster," Trixie countered.

Starlight raised an eyebrow at Trixie.

"What? It's good for morale," Trixie explained. "And Harmony knows that we need morale now more than ever."

"True. Let's meet in the Map room, so we can go over what we know," Starlight said, keeping a façade of calm about her.

The four friends made their way up to the map room. When they arrived, they gathered around the Cutie Map. "So, what do we know?" Starlight asked.

Flurry was the first to answer. "All four Princesses have disappeared, presumably taken. The bearers Elements of Harmony are spread across Equestria, and without the Element of Magic, they are rendered useless. The Pillars that are still alive may be able to help, but I'm not sure how much time we have."

"We also know that wherever our parents are, that they have been rendered unable to perform their duties, I think. Can you confirm, Starlight?" Sunburst asked, hoping to be wrong.

"Unfortunately, I already have, and you are correct. However, my mum is also missing, are any of your other parents missing?" Starlight asked.

"Dad is doing his best to keep the peace in the Crystal Empire," Flurry Heart replied.

"My dad is doing the same in Canterlot," Sunburst confirmed.

"My dad has sent out patrols to look for the Princesses," Trixie said.

"So why would both my parents be taken?" Starlight wondered.

Just then, a bloodied and bruised Sunset teleported in, and collapsed.

"Mum!" Starlight cried.

"Hey, sweetheart," Sunset muttered.

"Mum, are you okay? Where's Mom?" Starlight asked.

"No, my little Star, there is no time," Sunset replied. "You cannot save her now. I... I tried."

"But there must be something we can do!" Flurry Heart said as she stepped up.

"There is," Sunset said weakly. "More specifically, something you can do, my little Glimmering Star."

Starlight's eyes went wide. "No, you can't mean?"

Sunset looked up at her daughter. "You must. It is the only way."

"But I might never see you again," Starlight objected.

Sunset coughed up some blood. "I'm afraid my time is up already. But there is still a way to save Equestria, to save your Mom, the other Princesses, maybe even me, in some way. Just go to the most recent flux."

"But... But..." Starlight started bawling. "No. Mum, please don't leave me."

"I'm afraid I don't have that choice," Sunset said. "But I will always be with you, in here," she smiled as she put her hand on her daughter's heart, before closing her eyes, the little life in her drifting away.

"No, Mum, I... I..." Starlight could hardly speak.

Trixie put her hoof on best friend's shoulder. "I'm so sorry. What did she mean by there was a way you could save her, and all the rest of our parents?"

Starlight began to dry herself up. "I think she means this," she said as she pulled a scroll out from under the table.

"But how is that supposed to help? Starswirl's spell only works for a week, and is a self contained time loop," Sunburst said.

"Not this version," Starlight replied. "I altered his spell and so it can go far back, and there is no self contained time loop. I never actually used it, but apparently it's our only hope."

"And what was that she said about the most recent flux?" Flurry asked.

"The last measured temporal fluctuation was set about twenty years ago, soon after my Mum..." Starlight started crying again. There were tears in everypony's eyes.

Starlight, however, was still determined to complete what she was saying. "Soon after she moved in with Mom," Starlight finished through tears.

"So if we travel back there, we could save her?" Trixie asked.

"But I don't even know if we'll be able to come home," Starlight confirmed.

"That won't matter if Equestria is going to be defeated anyways, we've got to try," Flurry said firmly.

Starlight stood up. "Mum, I will save you, I promise," she whispered as she began her spell, using the Cutie Map as an anchor for the spell. A large bubble appeared over their heads.

"Are you all sure you want to do this?" she asked.

"She was my family too," Flurry said.

"And the Great and Powerful Trixie wouldn't be so great and powerful if she left her friend to go on a mission to save Equestria alone."

"And I can't just sit here and do nothing," Sunburst said.

"So we all go," Starlight said, as she entered the time portal, followed by her friends.

Author's Note:

What? I'm doing another fanfic, not in the Rising Universe? I'm surprised too.

The idea first came to me last night, when I was thinking about how people constantly call Starlight a Sunset or Twilight knockoff, so I thought, why not make her their daughter? But, I didn't want something set in the future, so, through such inspirations such as Sunset of Time by the Albinocorn, and Doctor Who, as well as my own personal obsession with time travel, I came up with this.

Only up through almost the ending of Rainbow Rocks is canon in this universe, as well as some other things, done differently.

I hope you all enjoy this one!