• Published 10th Jun 2018
  • 3,890 Views, 581 Comments

Bleach: Heart of a Hero - Blackdrag-rose



Sombra was defeated, but his soul survived and traveled to a new world. He joins Ichigo and his friends as they invade Soul Society in an attempt to save another... while trying to remember his long forgotten past and who he really is.

  • ...
36
 581
 3,890

PreviousChapters Next
Fake Karakura: Tosen's Surprise

Sombra came to a stop when he and Aizen were close to each other, just like when he and his friends were stopping Rukia's 'execution' and the traitorous Captain revealed his plans to him, to steal the Hogyoku and escape with it, though while they weren't within arm's reach of each other that could easily be fixed by one of them moving. It gave him a moment to see that Gin was wearing a robe that would have belonged to an Arrancar, which was white and might be covering his previous attire, though his robe was open near the top in a narrow v shape and went down to his waist, closed to below the hips, and then open again to the hem. Tosen was likewise dressed in some Arrancar themed attire, only it appeared that he had let his braids let down, he was still sporting the same orange scarf, his attire was also a robe that seemed to have been modified for fighting, and his Zanpakuto currently rested on a string-like attachment, allowing him to draw it when he needed it, while Gin's blade had to be inside his robe. Aizen, on the other hand, wore a robe that was like Gin's, only his was open like a jacket would be and revealed the Arrancar inspired clothing underneath it, complete with a pink sash around his waist, one that his Zanpakuto rested on, and he seemed to be staring at the situation that was unfolding at the moment.

"Well now, this is a surprise." Gin commented, as he was currently staring at Sombra, because he could have sworn that Aizen's plan had been designed to trap the Arrancar in Hueco Mundo, and he was sure that Aizen was thinking about what could have allowed his escape, "Aren't you supposed to be trapped inside Hueco Mundo?"

"That was your plan, and it did work for a little bit." Sombra replied, though at the same time he didn't seal his powers back into Rey, not when he knew that a fight was going to break out between them at one point and he needed to have his abilities at the ready, "However, you couldn't have foreseen that I would have ascended to the level of the Dios Hueco and gain the ability to use a King's Garganta, which overruled your ability to shut me inside Hueco Mundo. Nor could you have known that I would have used that ability to come here and free the remaining Arrancar that were under your control, or at least save those that chose to serve the true ruler of Hueco Mundo, especially since Baraggan decided to stand against me and suffered for his decision."

"I see. So it appears that you have defeated my Espada and converted the survivors to your side." Aizen said, as he had noticed that Baraggan was the only one fighting since the arrival of Sombra, a battle that he felt since he couldn't see thanks to the flaming fortress, and right now it looked like both Starrk and Harribel were standing with the rest of the traitorous Arrancar that he created, though he was a little surprised to see Ulquiorra standing with them.

"That's right." Sombra stated, though it was hard to tell if Aizen was displeased with what he had done or if he was curious as to how he managed to convince them that he was the one they should be following, before he focused on something else for a moment, "What do you call that big Hollow that Wonderweiss was standing near?"

"Oh, he's called Hooleer. He's Wonderweiss' favorite." Gin answered, though he had to wonder what the importance of the name meant to Sombra, who immediately flashed out of the area that they were in, appeared near the Hollow and said something, before returning a few seconds later like he hadn't moved in the first place.

Everyone watched as the large Hollow, Hooleer, carefully turned itself around and walked back into the Garganta that it had used to get here, even though Wonderweiss was the one who opened the passage, and a few moments later the large Garganta had closed, confirming Sombra's suspicions that Hollows were now willing to follow his orders, before facing his foes.

"Well, now he's on his way back to Hueco Mundo, so Wonderweiss can have fun with him later." Sombra said, though as he prepared to say something more he felt the air stir for a moment, along with several more reiatsu signatures appear near them, "It seems like we have company."

It was in the second following his statement that Shinji appeared nearby, dressed in the same attire he had been wearing the last time he had seen the man, and Sombra noticed that the remainder of the Visored were standing nearby as well, waiting for something to happen.

"It seems that we arrived in time for the main event." Shinji said, to which he glared at Aizen for a moment as both Gin and Tosen tensed up a little, before he noticed something interesting and turned to look at Sombra, "I could have sworn that you said you were going to decimate Aizen's forces, not let the majority of them live and let them stand by your friends and allies."

"That was before I knew about the Dios Hueco," Sombra replied, though at the same time he didn't take his eyes off of Aizen, as that was the person that needed to be defeated and he wanted to be sure that there weren't any nasty surprises waiting for him, "Besides, what are you and the rest of the Visored doing here? I didn't think that any of you would willingly help the Shinigami in their war against Aizen, much less come to stand beside one of their allies."

"Look, we came to deal with him, not talk to you." Shinji stated, showing that he hadn't changed in the amount of time that Sombra and the others had been in Hueco Mundo, before he shook his head and turned away, "Besides, Yoruichi insisted that we come and check on the situation, as she felt the others return and couldn't feel your reiatsu at all, and there's the fact that there's a strong barrier covering this place, so we had to circle around and find someone to let us in so we could have a crack at Aizen. Speaking of which..."

In the moment Shinji said that he and the others wanted a crack at Aizen, something that Sombra had come to do on his own anyway, the Visored drew his Zanpakuto from it's scabbard, something that was immediately discarded, and flashed up in front of Aizen as he prepared to bring his blade down, only for him to get out of the way as Tosen, sensing the attack, swung his own Zanpakuto at Shinji's head. Shinji, surprised by Tosen's sudden movement and the suddenness of the blade being in front of him face, pulled himself back as Tosen carried out his attack, to which he leapt back and landed near Sombra, who noticed that the left side of his face had been cut, just above the eyebrow.

"I missed?" Tosen inquired, as he didn't hear the sound of something falling to the ground, which would have been the indicator that he had struck something, though at the same time he still held his blade at the ready, indicating that he'd attack again if he sensed them move, or heard Sombra move since no one could feel his energy anymore.

"Don't be ridiculous, you hit me." Shinji said, though even as he said that he raised his empty hand and rubbed at the cut area, not surprised to find blood there since he could feel it, but he was still shocked by how quickly Tosen had moved from where he was standing and got into position to attack him, while noticing that Sombra didn't even seem phased by their enemy's action.

"I wanted to slice off everything above your left eye. I don't consider that a hit." Tosen replied, showing that his standards must have changed in the brief time that he was in Hueco Mundo, as a cut like that could have been called a hit in Sombra's book, though that was followed by Tosen readying himself for the next attack.

"Big talk coming from the small fry." Shinji stated, as it was something like that, when an opponent scored a blow and didn't consider it a hit, that actually annoyed him, and yet he knew that Tosen would have to be incredibly foolish if he thought that he could reach him, especially with Sombra standing near him.

"You must really hate the fact that you're going to be killed by a 'small fry'." Tosen said, though it sounded like he might be in a hurry or just wanted to get Shinji out of the way before he did something to Aizen, which is why his focus was on where Shinji was kneeling and not on Sombra.

In the following moment Tosen charged at Shinji's location and was surprised by what happened next, as Captain Komamura flashed into the area near them and used the edge of his left gauntlet to deflect the tip of the blade from it's path, as it now pointed diagonally towards the ground, instead of at where Shinji was standing, though Tosen seemed to sense the arrival of a familiar foe and flashed backwards, putting some distance between him and them.

"Sombra, allow me to assist you in taking out Tosen." Komamura said, though his eyes were on the traitorous Captain that he had once called his friend, who he thought he knew as well as a brother for a long time, up until he betrayed them all and sided with Aizen, before he turned his full attention back to Tosen and stared at him, "This is the opposite of what happened that day, when I blocked Zaraki's blade and saved your live. I never thought that I'd have to save someone from your blade one day."

"Komamura, I knew that, without a doubt, that one day our blades would cross," Tosen replied, indicating that he knew, from the moment that he sided with Aizen, that he would have to fight the person that he had come to know as his best friend, before he stood up and pointed his blade at them, "and that one of us would die when that day came."

Not even a moment later Sombra watched as a new weapon, one that looked like a thin rod with two scythe heads attached to the top of it, with one inverted, wrapped around Tosen's blade before facing the ground, and that was when he noticed that it was attached to a chain that a weakened Hisagi was holding onto, along with a second identical weapon in his left hand.

"I'm sorry, Captain Komamura, Sombra, but please, let me join this battle." Hisagi asked, though his eyes were on Tosen, indicating that he had come here to fight his Captain and either show him how strong he had gotten since his betrayal or restore his Division's honor by defeating their traitorous Captain in battle, "It's been a while, Captain Tosen. I've come to express my gratitude to you."

"Interesting choice of words." Tosen commented, though as he said that he made no move to removed his Zanpakuto from Hisagi's Shikai state, as that was what Sombra knew the scythe-like weapons had to be, before he turned his head towards the huffing Lieutenant, "Are you being sarcastic?"

"No, I wanted to thank you for everything that you've taught me." Hisagi replied, as he had known that his former Captain wouldn't have guessed what he was referring to when he said that he had said, but he was more than willing to tell him exactly what he meant before continuing, "I've learned many things from you over the years, and I'm really grateful for your lessons. So now I'm going to use every skill you taught me to make you come back to your senses... and I'll bring you back to Soul Society!"

"You? Make me come to my sense?" Tosen repeated, as if he found something interesting about that statement, while also keeping notice of how Hisagi was breathing, before he seemed to get ready for what was going to happen in the near future, "You haven't changed, Hisagi. Suzumushi."

Sombra watched what happened next with some interest in his eyes, as the moment Tosen uttered the name of his Zanpakuto the blade vibrated and the chain came undone, freeing his weapon in the process and allowed him to drop Hisagi's scythe-like weapon at the same time.

"Hisagi, I thought I told you 'Those who do not know fear, have no right to go into battle'." Tosen said, to which he turned his head towards his former Lieutenant, who was keeping his gaze on his former Captain at the same time, "That is what I meant when I said that you haven't changed at all. Even now, your words don't have a shred of fear in them."

In response to that Hisagi growled and pulled his second weapon back up to him, before charging forward and swinging down on where Tosen was standing, though Tosen sensed the attack coming and flashed out of the way, only to appear above the Lieutenant's head and swung down at him, where a timely warning from Komamura managed to get Hisagi to block the Tosen's Zanpakuto with the rods of his weapons. Hisagi tried to trap the edge of Tosen's Zanpakuto with the two heads of his weapons, but Tosen pulled his blade back and kicked Hisagi backwards, before blocking the incoming attack that was coming his way and let the air shake around them, all while saying something about how the fact that Hisagi didn't know true fear meant he could never beat him. That was an interesting comment to make in the middle of a fight, because since he was in his Resurreccion he could easily send Hisagi to the Shadowlands and install a level a fear in him, just like he did to Szayelaporro, Loly, and Menoly, but at the same time he crushed that thought and turned it to dust, as he knew that they could do without him punishing the Shinigami that were assisting him, even though Shinji had flashed behind Aizen and was now attempting to draw out Gin while Tosen was busy.

Of course everyone stopped when Aizen shifted his stance, as there was no telling what he was up to since this was his war, but Sombra continued to stare at him, because once Gin and Tosen were taken care of he was going to show Aizen his power and deal with him.

"Truthfully, I had no expected this outcome." Aizen commented, as his eyes lingered on the former loyal Espada that he had gathered, because it was amusing that they shifted sides so easily, instead of trying to fight for him, before he turned towards Sombra, "I went through a lot of trouble to gather those Espada, and yet you simply walked into Hueco Mundo and took them like they were your new toys. I am also disappointed in you, Sombra, because it appears that you no longer have any reiatsu. Even if you were suppressing it, I'd still be able to feel a bit of it, which means that you must have found a way to discard your reiatsu, knowing that you'd never be able to beat me in a battle of reiatsu."

"That is where you are wrong, Aizen." Sombra said, as it was amusing that his foe thought that he had sacrificed or even discarded his reiatsu, something that he knew to be impossible, and he decided to inform him of why he was wrong before the battle resumed, "I didn't discard my reiatsu, I simply ascended to a whole new level... one that's currently beyond anything you can feel. Besides, I know that you won't take a step forward until the rest of your subordinates are taken care of, so we'll just beat both Tosen and Gin before moving onto the main event, where I'll gladly demonstrate my power while I'm beating you to a pulp."

"Nonsense. You cannot defeat him." Tosen replied, to which Sombra turned his attention to the enemy that Hisagi and Komamura were focusing on, one that he could be fighting as well, even though he was simply watching his opponent's movements before joining the battle himself, but it seemed like that opened a hole in his defenses, as Komamura flashed towards him and swung his Zanpakuto at him.

Sombra watched as Komamura and Tosen went at it, one attacking and one defending as they danced through the area in front of him, allowing Aizen to move back so he had a good spot to watch the battle from without being pulled into the battle, while at the same time Gin moved so Shinji would be out of the way as well. When Tosen flashed behind the larger Captain, to attack him from the side, Komamura used his metallic gauntlet and bashed the blade backwards, before turning around and swung at him in return, only for the blind fighter to block the incoming attack as well, showing that, despite their current situation, that they were equal to each other in terms of strength. Komamura then tried to punch Tosen while he was blocking his attack, but what actually happened was Tosen dropped down and planted a foot against Komamura's chest, using him as a point so he could jump backwards, only for him to block the incoming attack that Hisagi sent his way, who had been trying to attack him while he was distracted. In fact Tosen smashed the weapon further out of the air and rushed at the weakened Hisagi, who blocked the incoming attack with the other weapon and then had to defend himself against the onslaught of attacks that Tosen had for him, showing that he was taking this fight serious and was waiting for Sombra to enter the battle... and while he waited for Sombra to move he swung his Zanpakuto and forced the second weapon out of Hisagi's hand, opening him to an attack that might take him out of the battle instantly.

Fortunately Hisagi wasn't in a horrible situation as Tosen made it look like, as he gripped the chains of his Shikai and pulled the two weapons back towards him, the blades seemingly trapping Tosen as their sharpened edges approached him, but Tosen flashed out of the area and Hisagi grabbed the two rods to ready himself once more... though as Komamura swung and forced Tosen backwards, as he tried to attack Hisagi again, Sombra sighed and took a step forward, causing them to look at him.

"Very well then, I'll join the battle." Sombra said, though at the same time he held his hand out and let the scythe float away, where it spun like it did every other time he let it do it's own thing until he called it back to him, before he moved his cape a little and revealed Shokyo resting in her scabbard, which he kept hidden by the shadows and was only revealing it now, before he drew his Shinigami Zanpakuto and let it transform into it's Shikai state.

A few moments later Sombra flashed through the air and brought the broadsword down on where Tosen was standing, surprising both Hisagi and Komamura with his new speed, but Tosen managed to parry the attack and flashed away from where he had been standing, which allowed Komamura to attack him and forced their blades to meet once more. Despite the fact that he couldn't actually see them when they attacked, Tosen proved that he had the ability to at least tell where an attack was coming from and block it, even though Sombra's attacks could shake the air when they collided with his Zanpakuto if he wanted, something that he avoided since he wanted to keep testing Tosen's defenses as both Hisagi and Komamura fought beside him. Truthfully he didn't need the help, not in his current state and not against an opponent like this, but since they had all assembled to break Aizen, who he wasn't planning on sharing with anyone, the least he could do was let some of the others assist him in taking Tosen and Gin out, all so he could focus on the true foe and not have any distractions. An interesting thing that Sombra noted during their fight was that when Tosen dealt with Komamura or Hisagi his power remained the same, never changing for them, yet he seemed to be boosting his power when he attacked the broadsword, showing Sombra that, despite his earlier comment, Tosen knew who the real threat was and was trying to beat him in his own way.

Despite the interesting aspect that Sombra had noticed he knew that it didn't matter at the moment, since Tosen's power was even lower than Aizen's and his own, and he knocked Tosen back with a single swing, but when he saw his foe stand still for a moment he held his left hand out and both Komamura and Hisagi stopped, knowing that he had sensed something and backed off to stand beside him, so they could see what was going on.

"Lord Aizen was right, you are powerful." Tosen commented, as if he had been testing his own strength against the power that Sombra commanded, which would have been fine before his ascension and now it was just a source of amusement for him, "It appears that, in order to defeat you, I'll need to use my true power."

"Your Bankai?" Komamura inquired, as that was the only power that they knew that Tosen had, even if Sombra was starting to wonder if there was something more, as some of those attacks had a familiar hint of a Hollow's power backing them, "Very well then, I shall use mine as well."

"My Bankai?" Tosen repeated, though this time his tone confirmed Sombra's thoughts, that Tosen had unlocked a new form of power that none of them had known about before this point in time, "Don't make me laugh. Lord Aizen has given me a power that is far beyond that of my Bankai."

In the following moment Tosen raised his left hand and brought it to his face, with dark purple strands gathering at the area that was between his palm and his face, before the air shook a little as his reiatsu responded to his command, which was followed by him being covered by some wind as he finalized what he was doing. A few moments later, as a shocked and annoyed Komamura asked Tosen about how far he had fallen, Sombra noticed that when the wind broke apart Tosen was now wearing a Hollow mask, just like a Visored would, only his seemed to cover most of his head, neck, and throat, with the exception of a small hole in the back for his hair. The mask had a smooth white surface, with the only feature being a bilateral line down the middle, separating the mask into two portions, while Tosen's outfit had changed as well, because the orange strap on his shoulder was gone and he gained a chest plate with a pair of small slim shoulder guards, both of which had designs that were similar to his mask, and Sombra also sensed that his power had gone up, just like the Visored did when they put on their masks.

"So he gave you the power of Hollowfication, only it's a perfected version of what the Visored do." Sombra said, as he guessed that the change to the chest, neck, and shoulders had come with a Hollowfication that had been granted by the Hogyoku, which had definitely make Tosen much stronger than when he was a Shinigami, all while noticing that Hisagi seemed uncertain of what was going on, as if his former Captain's action really shook his world.

"You catch on quickly, just as Lord Aizen said." Tosen commented, though at the same time he flashed through the air and appeared before Hisagi, who barely had time to even register what was going on before Tosen swung his Zanpakuto towards the ground and cut the chain of his target's Zanpakuto in half, as well as cutting a gash into Hisagi's chest, which sent him down to the roof of the nearby hospital.

"Tenken!" Komamura called out, to which a light blue phantom arm of a giant, wielding a massive phantom version of his Zanpakuto, formed in the air behind him, making Sombra realize that he had never actually seen what the wolf Captain's Bankai looked like.

In the following moment Komamura brought the blade down on Tosen's back and the massive blade followed suit, showing Sombra that he intended to crush Tosen with the larger blade since his wasn't anywhere near Tosen, but the sad part was that all Tosen had to do was raise his right arm and he blocked the attack with his Zanpakuto. Not even a second later Tosen knocked the phantom blade out of existence and spun around, kicking Komamura in the side, with enough power to force him to cough up blood and send him flying, before flashing into the air behind him so he could elbow the stunned Captain into the ground. Before Komamura could even reach the ground Tosen attacked him again, weakly testing his defenses before using both of his feet to kick him again, sending him crashing into an entirely different building than the one he had been heading towards moments ago, all while this told Sombra that Aizen must have changed Tosen for the sheer purpose of defeating him.

"It's odd." Tosen commented, to which he landed in an area that was close to where Sombra was standing while also allowing him to be near Komamura, just in case the Captain felt like attacking him, even though it was easy to tell who Tosen was talking to, "That half-Shinigami boy that they consider an ally has the power of Hollowfication as well. Must they scorn me so much for gaining this power?"

"Ichigo didn't willingly take on that power, he went through it to tame Zangetsu." Sombra said, as at the time Zangetsu had been trying to take over, whether it was because he knew what he had been before hand or just because his instincts told him to do that, and he could hear Zangetsu growl for a moment, indicating that he hated that moment, "You, on the other hand, willingly chose to take this power into yourself, where the other Captains might be scorning you because they felt that you had more than enough power with just your Bankai and that you didn't need to do this to yourself. I guess to them they see it as corruption..."

"Corruption?!" Tosen repeated, as if the very notion of him being a corrupt individual was an incorrect one in his eyes, even if he was blind, but Sombra remained silent for now, recalling a familiar conversation with someone that he had turned against and destroyed, "How is it corrupt for Shinigami to become closer to Hollows? Such words would come from a narrow-minded dualism that deems Shinigami and Hollows as good and evil."

"NO!" a voice shouted, to which Komamura burst out of the rubble that he had been in and stared up at Tosen, as he had heard every word that had been said and knew that Sombra's observation was more accurate than he might even know, though it was possible that he had some knowledge of this himself, "You betrayed your comrades, you betrayed your friends, and you even betrayed your subordinates... all for the sake of gaining this excessive power. That, Tosen, is called corruption."

Before Tosen had a chance to even do or say anything a chain appeared in the air above his head and fell down to where his neck was, where Hisagi, despite being wounded, pulled back as hard as he could and yanked Tosen right into the top of the building that he was standing on, only for the Lieutenant to grab onto Tosen's throat as he prepared to end this fight, even if it meant Tosen's death.

"It appears that I didn't step in far enough." Tosen said, referring to the earlier swing that had knocked Hisagi out of the air and sent him down to the building they were on top of, but at the same time he sensed the hesitation that was coming from his former Lieutenant, "How naive of me."

In that instant Sombra learned that Hisagi, through the training that Tosen had given him, always started a battle by moving back so he could dodge anything by a hair, when drawing his Zanpakuto, and it was that instinct that had been carved into his body by training that had saved him from Tosen's earlier attack. Sombra had to admit that it was a good tactic, to always pull back a little when entering a battle, and knew that it was similar in some aspects to what he did, start small and then increase his power as necessary, depending on his opponent's strength, but he remained silent as the two remained in the same position for a few moments. Of course, as Sombra suspected, Tosen took the opportunity that was presented to him and stabbed Hisagi in the chest, before pushing him off his Zanpakuto and let him hit the ground below them, all while commenting that he was afraid of being assimilated into Soul Society and die as one of them, which made him wonder why Tosen didn't just stick to being a wandering soul, instead of becoming a Shinigami. It seemed like a terrible decision on his part, if he truly feared dying as a Shinigami, to join the very people that he was afraid of becoming similar to and dying as one of them, and he guessed that the reason he was able to do this was because Aizen must have convinced him that he was going to do something when he completed his mission.

"Bankai." Komamaru called out, to which Sombra felt his reiatsu flare for a moment as the rubble behind him started to shake, meaning that he was actually going to see his Bankai before this battle was over, to which he focused on what was happening with some interest in his eyes, "Kokujo Tengen Myo'o."

That was when a giant, around a hundred meters tall by Sombra's estimates, erupted from the rubble and showed him that it was actually a suit of armor, one that wielded the large form of a blade that wasn't like Komamura's Zanpakuto and his armor looked like it was samurai in origin, while both Komamura and his blade had a faint red glow that seemed to be connected to his Bankai.

"Tosen!" Komamura shouted, staring at his opponent as Sombra stood nearby, as he wanted to see what happened when the battle resumed, while preparing to crush his former friend into the ground and end his madness, "I'll do whatever it takes to open your eyes!"

"How foolish of you, Komamura." Tosen replied, to which he raised his right arm and pointed the tip of his blade at Komamura, even though he was grateful for his friend being this foolish, because it would allow him to see how powerful he was before turning on Sombra, "You've seen my power, yet you persist with the thought that you can beat me with the likes of your Bankai?"

"'The likes of your Bankai'?! That sounds like something one of the Espada would say." Komamura stated, though this just confirmed that Tosen had fallen from the light and that he was taking to the path he had chosen for himself, even if it was the wrong one.

"Do not compare me to the Espada, for I have surpassed them all." Tosen said, though as he said that Sombra noticed that some of the Espada, namely Starrk and Harribel, were irritated with that statement, showing that they weren't happy with their former Commander's opinion that he was now stronger than all of them, "And that includes you and the rest of the Shinigami as well. I have surpassed all of you!"

"Please, if you wish to test that statement then you'll need to face me." Sombra said, because the statement that Tosen had made meant that he was stronger than all of Aizen's enemies, and while that might be true for a good portion of them it was wrong when he entered the equation, especially with the power he had gained from his ascension.

Tosen seemed to pause for a moment, as if he was actually thinking about facing him in battle, and Komamura used that opening for the first swing of his Bankai, as the giant mimicked his movements, and he crushed the building that their foe had been standing on, before swing towards Tosen as he flashed to a new part of the sky. Sombra stood there for a moment as Komamura continued his assault, swinging at Tosen with the massive blade of his Bankai, and watched as Tosen dodged the attacks before allowing the blade to crush the building that was below him, to which Komamura glared at him as he floated down to a position to stare at him. Sombra knew what was going on, as Tosen's speed and power was much more than what Komamura was capable of, meaning that the Captain was at a disadvantage at the moment and that he didn't seem to know that, but it also didn't seem to bother him at all.

"You said that I couldn't beat you with the likes of my Bankai, right?" Komamura commented, to which he turned around and glanced at Tosen once more, showing that he had been thinking about what his former friend had said earlier, when he revealed his sinister power, "However, the truth is that the difference in power between you and Tengen Myo'o is like that of an infant and an adult."

"When your arrogance goes that far, it's almost pitiful." Tosen said, as if he felt that Komamura was talking about him being weaker than the giant Bankai, even though Sombra knew that, from what he could tell, Tosen was currently the stronger one of the two, "Very well then, Komamura. I shall bring that arrogance of your down to the ground."

Sombra watched as Tosen used his speed and rushed through the air between him and Komamura, dodging the downward swing of the giant's blade, something that Komamura stopped and then redirected at the new area that Tosen flashed into, which allowed the former Captain to flash onto the hand of the giant and stabbed it, causing a similar wound to appear on Komamura's right hand. That was interesting in Sombra's eyes, as it appeared that the giant not only mimicked the Captain's movements, hence the swings that matched Komamura's swings, but they also shared a bond that meant that if the giant was wounded the same wound would appear on the Captain's body. It was a dual-edged sword, as the destructive power of the giant Bankai was exceptional and he was crushing the buildings like they were nothing, but to someone that knew the weakness, like Tosen did, it was a severe disadvantage that could be turned against him in a matter of moments, which seemed to be what Tosen was doing as he flashed out of the way of the giant's left hand and appeared nearby. Komamura growled as he found where his target was standing and swung down at him again, only this time Tosen cut a gash into the area near his right wrist, cutting a similar gash into the Captain's arm, though when Tosen shifted position the Captain swung his left arm and hit his target into the ground.

"Don't you think it's foolish to use such a Bankai against someone that knows it's weaknesses?" Sombra asked, to which he flashed over to where Komamura was standing, as the Captain was still staring at the area that he had hit Tosen into, who was now standing on the air nearby.

"It's the only thing we have to use against him." Komamura replied, as while he, along with many of the other Captains, had faith in Sombra's power he couldn't tell how a battle between them would go, not when he couldn't feel anything from the Arrancar that was standing near him.

"No, it's not. I'm still part of this battle, since it's me that Tosen wants to destroy," Sombra stated, as he knew why this was happening and decided that it was time to tell Komamura the reason why Tosen was toying with him, in case he hadn't figured it out on his own, "he's only playing around with you and Hisagi so he can test out the power that he's been given, before even focusing on the main target he needs to defeat. Trust me on this, if he was so inclined he could end this battle with you in a single instant and move onto me, but he wants to see how strong he really is before that happens, hence why you're still fighting him."

While he said that the smoke around Tosen cleared, showing that his left arm had been twisted and was bleeding from taking the blow from Komamura's Bankai, meaning that despite his power boost he could still be damaged, though that was before his arm twisted back into it's normal position and the blood stopped flowing, showing Sombra that the connection between him and his new Hollow was higher than the Visored, showing them that he had the power of Instant Regeneration on his side.

"I recall you saying that Komamura and the others consider my new power an act of corruption." Tosen said, to which Sombra flashed into the air and put himself between the two of them, because he wanted to see what the former Captain had to say, while at the same time Komamura stood his ground and stared at Tosen, "You voiced the thought that they might consider me tricking my friends and subordinates as another act of my 'corruption'. Let me ask you this: if someone who joined an organization for revenge were to forget his purpose and live peacefully while working for that very organization, wouldn't that be corruption as well? To my unseeing eyes, that's more corrupt than what you're suggesting Komamura and the others are accusing me of doing."

"So, you became a Shinigami purely for revenge?" Sombra asked, though even as he said that he noticed that a line appeared on Tosen's mask, exactly where his mouth would be located, and knew that something was happening, which was why he held Shokyo at the ready, as he was sure that the battle would begin soon enough, "Tell me, Tosen, did you start to walk this path because you lost someone precious to you, someone that you loved with all your heart?"

"I did. She told me that she was going to marry a Shinigami and create peace." Tosen said, though he had no idea how Sombra could have figured that out from him saying that he wanted revenge, but at the same time that told him that his foe might have some experience in that field, something that they didn't know about until now, "The man who killed her was the Shinigami that was her husband, because he killed one of his colleagues over a petty disagreement and when she scolded him for his actions he turned on her and cut her down as well. She wished for world peace and had a stronger sense of justice than anyone else at the time, and because of that she had chosen to fight for what she believed in, yet she couldn't do that. I gained this power so I could grant peace to the world, to cut through the evil like the clouds that my friend told me about, and none of you will stand in the way of my mission!"

"Tosen, among everyone that is gathered here, I'm likely the only one that really understands what you're going through and the pain that you feel." Sombra replied, though even as he said that he could tell that many eyes were on him, especially since he could feel Yoruichi, Urahara, and Isshin's reiatsu entering the area near them, "Let me tell what why I'm saying that, and it's not because I'm lying to you. Back before I became the being that's standing before you, before I turned toward the path of revenge, I was just a young colt that had very little friends, save for one sweet mare that was around my age, who I formed my friend bond of friendship with. Every year, at the same time, I would be bedridden by an unimaginable pain that raced through by body, tearing me apart, and it was only because of my friend and her presence, which later evolved into her healing powers, that I was able to survive the event that was hurting me. Eventually she went to a faraway city to gain more knowledge, to heal me to the point where I wouldn't be in pain every year, and because I was young and stupid I grew angry at her for leaving and found myself resenting her, so much so that I left the empire that I was living in and wandered into the frozen land around my home.

I eventually found a cave that gave me the horn that I possess right now, but not a few days later I met another mare that warmed my heart, especially since she was looking for a place for her and her sister to live, so they could move away from their abusive mother. Long story short I fell in love a second time, this time with the eldest princess of an entire empire, and she did the same with me, but instead of coming with me immediately she headed home to get her sister before their mother returned, and that was the last I heard of her. Thanks to an enchantment I had placed on her, as a precaution since she was heading into her mother's territory, I found out that her mother was responsible for killing her and, in my anger, I started down a path of revenge that put me in the history books. My first action was to steal an artifact from my former home and turn the ruler of that empire into a solid statue, which I shattered in my anger, before I seized control of the empire and became the King of Darkness that the inhabitants grew to fear, least they get hurt or tormented in the process. It was a means to an end, because eventually I was able to draw out the Queen that had killed the second love of my live and shattered my own heart in the process, and, to make the story short, I waged a terrible war against her that tore the area around us apart.

In the end, Tosen, I struck her down and she revealed her hand to me, as she had enlisted the aid of my enemies, a pair of royal sisters called Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, to take the empire I had captured, and in my weakened state the two of them struck me down when I went to challenge them... what I'm trying to say is that the path of revenge often has a price that will only become known to you at the worst moment, even though I got my revenge, as the queen's subjects killed her. The reason was because she drew in their power and killed hundreds, maybe even thousands, of them to keep up with my power, and they turned their anger on her and lifted the younger princess to the throne, but that's a story for another day."

"You think that, just because you have a similar tale to mine, that it makes you equal to me?" Tosen asked, though at the same time he had the feeling that none of them had been expecting the Arrancar to say what he had said, especially that he had two previous loves and had lost them both in one form or another.

"No, it doesn't. I just wanted you to know that there's someone that understands what you're going through." Sombra replied, though as he said that he held his blade at the ready, because he knew that Tosen was going to attack someone again and he wanted to be sure that he was the one that he targeted, as Komamura wouldn't be able to stand against the power that Tosen commanded.

Sombra rushed forward and swung his blade at Tosen, who responded by blocking the blow with his Zanpakuto, but it was in that moment that he understood that Sombra wasn't messing around, as the sheer power behind his attack caused his arm to shake before he was knocked backwards through the air. Despite the power boost that Tosen was given, in order to combat him, Sombra showed him just how outclassed he truly was, as he dodged every attack that Tosen sent his way, even closing his eyes at one point and letting his body move on it's own as he felt his foe come at him. If he wanted to fight on an even playing field, and fight like a blind person, Sombra was more than able to do so, and he had done it a few times while he was training to prepare for the battle with the previous Changeling Queen and the Royal Sisters, but right now his actions were simply him showing everyone how outclassed Tosen was. Tosen also parried his attacks and made sure to put some distance between them before attacking again, and he even attempted to strike down Komamura's giant Bankai as a distraction, but Sombra still moved to intercept him and knocked him away, which served as a reminder that his speed and senses weren't to be underestimated, both of which he was well known for, even if his power was why people remembered him right now.

In fact, just to show everyone just how strong he had gotten recently, he actually let one of Tosen's attacks slip by his blade and let the edge of Tosen's Zanpakuto collide with the side of his neck, where Sombra sighed as the blade stopped without penetrating his neck... to which he sliced open Tosen's chest and kicked him backwards, where his foe's Instant Regeneration kicked in and healed the wound until it was gone.

"Let me ask you something, Sombra: what is justice?" Tosen asked, to which Sombra raised an eyebrow as he looked at his opponent, because he was still bent on trying to answer that one question and wanted to continue to talk about his past, including why he was doing what he was doing, while at the same time the mask cracked open and moved like a mouth, showing Tosen's real mouth in the process, "Is it to forgive the man that killed my beloved friend!? That is certainly virtuous! It's admirable, sickeningly so! But even if something is virtuous, is it justice? NO! Living peacefully without avenging the dead is evil!"

A few seconds later Sombra flashed over to where Tosen was standing and grabbed onto his mask, where he hurled the talkative former Captain through the air and sent him into the side of a building, one that collapsed the moment he came into contact with it... and, just to show him that he wasn't holding back, Sombra also loosed a wave of dark energy into the smoke, blowing the entire foundation of the building up.

"Don't talk to me about what is considered good and evil, Tosen." Sombra stated, as he was quite possibly the only person in this world that even had an understanding of what the word 'evil' truly entailed, especially with his time as the King of Darkness when he reigned over the Crystal Empire, "Like I said, I walked down the same path that you did and I caused unimaginable suffering upon those that I conquered, so much so that upon my defeat, mere moments before I was banished for a thousand years, I activated the strongest curse I could inflict upon the domain and stole them from my world for that same number of years. I walked the path of revenge and fulfilled my darkest desire, crushing the ones that caused my heart so much pain, and the price was far more than I was willing to pay... so tell me, Tosen, are you willing to pay the price that is coming your way?"

"You make it sound like your a god when you say it that way!" Tosen shouted, to which he burst out of the rubble and came to a stop in the air that was near Sombra's position, though despite the fact that he couldn't see most of Tosen's face Sombra had to assume that his statement had annoyed his foe, before he moved his right hand and held his Zanpakuto so the blade was pointed towards the ground, "Suzumushi Hyakushiki: Grillar Grillo."

Not even a few seconds later the area around Tosen darkened as his reiatsu spiked once more, especially since his Zanpakuto glowed for a moment like an Arrancar's did, though that was followed by him being enveloped in a shroud of darkness that was nothing like Sombra's own shadows. When the area returned to it's natural brightness Sombra found that Tosen had undergone his own Resurreccion, as he had taken on the form of an Arrancar that had returned to their Hollow roots, hence the fact that there was now a large Hollow hole in the center of his chest and that his head was covered by an interesting mask. Tosen was now hunched over and his body was covered by black fur, where he also possessed four insect-like arms that had clawed hands and he had four insect-like wings growing out of his back, giving him the power to fly if he so desired. In addition to all of that there were a pair of spiraling horns growing out of the hunch of his back, while his head appeared to be that of a cricket, based upon his large bulbous eyes, and his teeth appeared to be jagged, though for what purpose he needed them for Sombra honestly didn't care. Komamura and the other Shinigami that were watching this fight had to be concerned now, since Tosen's power had reached another level, but at the same time he wasn't concerned, not when Tosen's new move had actually cost him the match, something that he didn't seem to be aware of just yet.

A few more seconds ticked by and Sombra watched as Tosen started to open the eyes that his Resurreccion had given him, revealing that his new color in this form was green, but at the same time it appeared that this new ability of his gave him reason to smile.

"I... I can see!" Tosen declared, his voice having a happy tone to it, as if he was actually pleased to have been granted this ability, though at the same time Sombra stood there and stared at him, especially since he repeated the same statement several times in a row while laughing like a madman, "So this is the sky! So that's what blood looks like! So this is the World of the Living! And this is what you look like... Sombra... Komamura. My former friend, you are much uglier than I imagined you would be."

"You know, if you don't have anything nice to say then you shouldn't say anything at all." Sombra stated, causing the former Shinigami to turn towards him, allowing Tosen to take in his form for the first time since he arrived in this world, though he still made no move to attack his foe.

"Lord Aizen was right, you do look like a pony that's merged with a Human!" Tosen said, his voice making it sound like this was all humorous for him, even though that was the best way to describe Sombra's appearance to a blind person, before he stared at Sombra once more, "What's wrong, Sombra? Weren't you going to kill me?"

"There's no need for me to raise my blade towards you, not anymore." Sombra replied, to which he held Shokyo to the side and let the blade revert to it's original katana form before he sheathed it, which he then followed up with the resealing of his Arrancar powers, forming Rey's blade that he returned to it's scabbard as well, before he sighed and faced Tosen once more, "You should be feeling it's effects soon enough."

"What are you..." Tosen started to say, though that was before all four of his hands gripped his head and he screamed as if something was torturing him, despite the fact that Sombra hadn't actually done anything to him, before he turned both of his eyes on Sombra, "You... what did you do to me?"

"Nothing. This is the price you have to pay for walking the path of revenge." Sombra answered, to which he watched as Tosen huffed as he fell to one knee and continued to grip his head, where cracks were starting to form in the mask, and that included some forming all over his body, "You can feel it, can't you? Hueco Mundo, despite being a completely different realm from the World of the Living, is telling you what I am, that I am the Dios Hueco, the Hollow God, and that information is wrecking havoc on your body, because there is something that you failed to take into consideration. You see, Tosen, in your haste to use your Resurreccion you failed to recall what Grimmjow and the others must have warned you, Gin, and Aizen about, that all Hollows, including the Arrancar, will seek out the legendary Dios Hueco when they come into their full power and serve them to the end of that Hollow's reign. In your current state, Tosen, you're half Shinigami and half Arrancar, meaning that the Hollow side of your soul is trying to assert it's dominance over you and subdue you, so it can serve the one Hollow that is destined to rule over Hueco Mundo, while the Shinigami part of your soul is trying to hold on, least you be swallowed by the power that Aizen gave you."

"Im... Impossible." Tosen said, to which he fell to both his knees as the cracks started to get larger, and that included the fact that his reiatsu, which was now black with a purple outline, started to leak out of his body, like he was getting ready to explode or something, "Lord Aizen gave me this power! Someone like you can't use it against me!"

"Oh Tosen, it's because you used your Resurreccion that you've lost this match." Sombra replied, though at the same time Komamura did the smart thing and retracted his Bankai, while Hisagi flashed into the air near them as well, "If you had stuck to using just the Hollow mask you would have been fine, as Hueco Mundo's influence wouldn't have affected you if you stayed at the level of a Visored, but it's because you stepped onto the level of an Arrancar that this is now happening to you. I can feel the Hollow inside you, trying desperately to get out and claim your power so it can swear it's fealty to me, and, at the same time, I can feel the Shinigami side of you fighting that power back with all your might, but that is where Aizen made a mistake, as your fusion with your inner Hollow is so perfect that you both have the same level of power when you two cross blades in a fight. If one of you had been stronger than the other, instead of around the same level, we wouldn't be having this conversation and the deed would be done, but since both of your powers are so close to each other we'll have to wait and see what fate you'll decide for yourself."

Tosen let out a growl as he tried to force himself back onto his feet, so he could resume the battle, before letting out another screech as a bout of pain rocked his body, where Sombra watched as the cracks on Tosen's mask grew even larger, like his Hollow side was trying to burst out and take over, and that inflicted pain on the former Shinigami as he fought against his new power. To Sombra it was both sad and painful to watch, as he reflected on what had happened to him when he had been training years ago, when he first gained his curved horn and the power of darkness, and knew that he had been in the same position, fighting a power equal to his own, but the difference was that he had won and it appeared that Tosen might be losing. Of course, as he reflected on that, he noticed that Tosen was holding his ground, standing against his new inner Hollow, and the reiatsu that was breaking out of his body was growing to the point where he was going to explode, which was why he turned towards Komamaru and Hisagi, where they nodded their heads and backed off, leaving the two of them along once more. As that happened Tosen coughed and arched his body backwards a tiny bit, where Sombra watched as the cracks started to branch out and reach his Hollow hole, where the reiatsu leaking out of him seemed to increase, signaling that the battle Tosen and his inner Hollow were having was reaching it's end.

"M... Mercy..." Tosen managed to say, though at the same time Sombra heard the hint of his inner Hollow, indicating that both of them knew that they were in a stalemate and that they wanted someone to assist them, especially since it appeared that he might understand what was coming next.

"Mercy? You sided with someone that's trying to upset the natural balance and you're asking for mercy?" Sombra inquired, though at the same time he sighed, because he understood that Tosen was only trying to fulfill his sense of justice and it had been what lead him to finding Aizen, who took advantage of the blind man to further his own sinister goals, "Very well then, Tosen, I will show mercy and end this."

In the following seconds he flashed through the air and appeared some distance behind a stunned Tosen, where only the highest ranking members of the Shinigami and his own followers even noticed him pull his Zanpakutos out of their scabbards and deliver a series of slashes to Tosen's chest before sheathing them.

"Kaiten Kenbu." Sombra said, to which blood burst out of Tosen's new wounds and he staggered for a few moments, before the volatile reiatsu that was pouring out of him detonated, creating an explosion that consumed the entirety of Tosen's body and forced some of the watchers to cover their eyes for a few seconds.

Sombra glanced back as the smoke cleared and found that nothing remained of Tosen, as his body had been blown apart with nothing remaining and there was no telling if his soul had even survived what had happened to him, but he knew that he'd be keeping his eyes on the sands of Hueco Mundo, in case the Hollow he had been merged with made an appearance, before he turned his head towards Aizen.

"So, you've dealt with another of my subordinates." Aizen commented, as he was rather surprised to find that such a thing had happened to Tosen, because his plan had been to use his loyal follower to kill some of the Captains and maybe even wound Sombra, but it seemed like the direct plan was needed, "Very well then, it seems like it's my turn to take to the field and end..."

Instead of letting Aizen finish his statement, like someone else would have, Sombra glanced over to where Zangetsu was standing and beckoned his head to Gin, causing the former Zanpakuto spirit to grin as he went to aid Shinji, before Sombra flashed in front of Aizen, whose eyes widened for a moment. In the following second he swung his right fist upwards and hit Aizen's chin, knocking him into the air with a powerful uppercut, before he raised his right leg and kicked the traitorous Captain in the chest, sending him flying through the air and into several buildings, collapsing all five of them in the process as Sombra lowered his leg. It took a few seconds for Aizen to start to pull himself up, but as he did that he staggered for a moment and coughed up some blood, with surprise written on his face, something that Sombra knew was etched onto the faces of several of the Shinigami that were watching this transpire, but he paid it no mind as he focused solely on his foe. While his Zanpakuto were still in their scabbards he planned on drawing them eventually, as it would be disrespectful towards such a powerful foe if he didn't at least draw one of his weapons, and he planned on showing Aizen just how powerful he had become since his ascension.

Regardless of what happened next, in terms of what Aizen had planned, Sombra was going to show him that all the plans he had made meant nothing before the power of the Dios Hueco and that the power that he possessed wouldn't be enough to deal with the force that was now standing before him... and then, when everything was said and done, peace would finally return to this world.

PreviousChapters Next