• Published 21st Mar 2018
  • 659 Views, 19 Comments

The Life Of Daisy - WannaFlugelHorn

  • ...
 19
 659

Stay Completely Still

"I w-want Mommy," Dancing Plume whimpered, ears pressed flat against her head. "I-I want my Mommy and D-Daddy . . ." She repeated the same sentence again and again, a new fracture cutting through Daisy's heart with each little word. Dancing appeared to have shut down, attempting to lock away even the instinctive drive to react to stimuli. Daisy tried to comfort her to the best of her ability, but anytime she shifted into a position that would imply a gesture of physical contact, the Unicorn would flinch at every bit of Daisy's movement afterwards until she put her hoof back to its original location.

Unable to touch Dancing, she was without a way to get her attention. Raising her voice would no doubt bring the Timber Wolf closer, though she was in desperate need to explain what to do if they were spotted and approached. A filly of Dancing Plume's age would most likely try to run away, simply provoking the Timber Wolf. Daisy had dealt with a group before after wandering too far into the Everfree Forest, where she had searching for some special flowers to brighten Beautiful Blooms' new window display. A small pack of three had confronted her, and she successfully scared off two by screaming loudly. Seeing that the third hadn't run away and was instead slightly stunned, Daisy hid in a bush. The Timber Wolf quickly found her, but as she refused to move, it couldn't decide as to if she was food, and was soon called back to the rest of his pack.

"Dancing," Daisy started quietly, "If the Timber Wolf gets closer, we need to stay still, understand?"

The brown Unicorn gave a small nod, but Daisy didn't believe that what she had said had sunk in. Thinking fast, she went to grab another tomato, though none were left in reach. With no other option, she filled a part of her cheek with saliva before promptly spitting in the face of Dancing, whose eyes focused slightly. She quickly explained her emergency plan again, and Dancing seemed to understand this time, wiping her face without quite knowing what had just happened. Satisfied, Daisy once again sat against the tomato stall as another wave of stinky fog hit her nose.

The smell was defiantly stronger than before, and it took all of her strength to keep from throwing up. In fact, she could hear the ragged breathing of the Timber Wolf. Still, it was hard for Daisy to tell just how close the creature was. Or it would've been, at least, if not for the massive wooden paw that had just appeared beside her. Dancing Plume took a breath, preparing a scream, but Dasiy managed to cover the Unicorn's mouth with her hoof before she could successfully do so.

Daisy tried to keep the liquid fear teetering at the corners of her eyes from falling, knowing it would cause Dancing to panic. This became a harder and harder task as the Timber Wolf slowly revealed itself. Bubbling saliva dripped directly next to Dasiy as she refused to make eye contact, barely daring to blink. The wooden monster inched closer, huffing loudly, trying to capture the scent of something alive. Dancing Plume was terrified, clearly wishing to canter off, though Daisy had carefully shifted her hoof without the filly knowing, and as it was now on Dancing Plume's stomach, it would be hard for her to do this.

Daisy held her breath as the Timber Wolf sniffed her hind leg, pushing away the bits of tomato that had been resting on it by using his snout. He scanned the rest of the pink Earth Pony's body, watching to see if her chest would rise and fall, a crazed and diseased look in its eye. After what seemed like forever, the Timber Wolf finally made a decision.

It bit Daisy in the foreleg.

Hard.

Unable to control herself, Dancing Plume screamed, but the Timber Wolf had already chosen its prey. Thankfully, he still looked up, the holler distracting him before he was able to take a proper chunk out of Daisy. Still, she needed the blood that was coming from her. The tears that she'd had been trying to suppress rolled down her face as her leg became hot. She was too scared to look at the bite mark, though her ears were unable to shut off. She could hear the Timber Wolf lick the blood from its teeth, enjoying the taste. However, he quickly regained his focus, and opened his mouth to make a deeper cut. Paralyzed with fear, Daisy was unable to shift her gaze from the Timber Wolf.

Most Timber Wolfs liked to chase their prey down before cornering and then pinning them down, preferably with fangs,them, leaving the Alpha to deliver the fatal wound. Most challenges in dominance took place during this attack ritual, second place going towards who got the greatest share of the catch. Daisy prayed that the predator would skip all of the teeth and finish his painful work quickly, and leave Dancing be.

Daisy's thoughts became jumbled and foggy as her vision began to obscure, the Timber Wolf unfortunately deciding to go for another one of her appendages, when the creature was interrupted as a streak of white flew in from behind Daisy and connected with the Timber Wolf. The creature crumpled to the ground in a pile of twigs just as Daisy's vision began to obscure.

"Daisy! Daisy, you're going to be okay! A lot of blood has left your leg, but I'm going to get you to Ponyville Hospital. Daisy, stay awake! Please! . . ."

Daisy's eyes rolled back into her head as her body relaxed, preparing for a deep sleep . . .