• Published 6th Dec 2011
  • 3,237 Views, 31 Comments

Of Geldings And Gems - Hergest Ridge



An intellectual story centered around and narrated by best pony, Spike.

  • ...
2
 31
 3,237

I Asked : You Can!

For those of you who have children, siblings, cousins, or have had the misfortune of experiencing any kind of contact with young foals, you probably know this situation well.

You tell them to go to bed, and they will obviously refuse, or at least won't allow you not to hear them crying their lungs out, the little spoiled brat, as you force them to. And the next day, you'll find them singing you a similarly heart-breaking song, begging you to allow them one more minute of the warmth of their bed sheets.

Want them to take a walk in the park? They'll whine to you that they want to stay home to do whatever the hell a child does, and once they're out there, you can expect the worthless piece of crap to hate you with all their guts on the way back home.

I'm exactly like that.

While I only reluctantly agreed to let Twilight use me as her helper for all these incredimagicawesome spells from whatever book she happened to read, I soon found myself enjoying this moment, as soon as she started explaining everything to Me.

This time, it was the mind she was interested with.

Apparently, she'd just come across some old Volume Of Magic And Psychology Of My Arse, which described experiences done with unicorn magic to try to penetrate a pony's mind. Most of these had shown that anypony's mind, spirit or however you want to call was naturally protected by some kind of magical barrier, just to prevent these intrusions.

She eventually went on to explain that some famous unicorns - famous enough that I'd never heard of them - had emitted the theory that the connexion earth ponies were said to have with nature, animals and shit was of that kind, but a rather limited one, that mostly involved the subconscious. And it was all incredibly interesting.

... What? It was, I swear!

Anyway, the book was very imprecise, and the researches had been stopped long times ago, so she felt like doing some on the same subject, and maybe hope to make some amazingly incredible discoveries.

Because you know, that's what normal ponies with no psychological issues whatsoever do when they're bored. Research.

Nothing we did was as impressive as it may have sounded at first, sorry to disappoint your honor, but we definitively had some fun.

I suggested the love spell that she had once used on her old doll, but she explained that the it relied on making the object seem extremely appealing, not controlling ponies' minds to attract them toward the doll. The difference was as subtle as a fart I'd successfully let out during the Princess's speech after the whole Discord thingy, but I could definitively see it.

So, she mostly tried improvising spells, not putting too much energy on it in case something bad happened, but definitively thinking about getting inside of my amazingly complex mind. It ended up like a game, I'd think of something and she'd try guessing what it was, and then we'd do it the other way 'round to see if it worked better, and then both at the same time, et cetera, et cetera.

We were still in the middle of our experience, which complexity would have put a kindergarten class to shame, when we heard a knock on the door.

Crap, I was starting to have fun.

The egghead went to open it - the door, that is, since you know, it's generally the right thing to do when someone knocks at it (still the door) - revealing the pony standing behind it.

Joy, sweet joy! Pure bliss flooding through my veins, imaginary saxophone solo playing in my head, as I laid my eyes upon this creature of beauty.

Ra-ri-tyyyy!

So, Rarity, where do I start with her? I could tell you that she had the purest white coat you could ever imagine, that her eyes were of the most beautiful blue, and that she had a long, expertly coiffed and violet mane, like any author would, but I won't.

That's right.

Because that wouldn't mean shit. She could as well have had a pink coat, green mane and brown eyes, she would have been just as gorgeous.

It wasn't about how much care she took of herself either. You'd roll her up in the mud and she'd still be as elegant and graceful as always. It may have been about her facial features, voice, body, back or general attitude, or none or all of these, but hell, it was there. Something undefinable, transcendental, almost supernatural, that had somehow made its way into a living creature.

Now, I can see you coming from miles, and am perfectly aware of what you are thinking - you wouldn't be the first to tell me that, believe me - and screw you. Yes, you.

How dare you imply my appreciation for pure perfection in the (perfect) body of a pony is purely based on lust? That's not only rude, that's also impolite. And false. Wrong, erroneous, fallacious!

For you see, my good but doubting friend, I know myself and my intimate parts well, and I would willingly lend you a list of the mares in town I wouldn't mind performing a concerto for clarinet with, that's for sure. In B flat major, four movements and backed by the full Canterlot Philharmonic Orchestra. But none of them have ever been able to make me feel like I do, in this creature's presence.

The moment in a book where the way a character feels at the sight of their loved one is mentioned and explained in every pointless detail is quite often the most painful one. Every cliché gets its moment in the spotlight of the poor reader's eyes, from the fast heartbeat to the blushing, Freudian slips and stuttering, and not always excluding the raging boner, depending on your preferred genres of fiction. So I'm gonna spare you such in-equine and literary torture.

You're very welcome.

But I could write it, and I wouldn't regret it one bit. For Rarity would be the dedicatee of such waste (as if you could call that a "waste") of your reading and my writing time.

That, my friend, don't go and call that "physical attraction" or I may write this monologue that some other and less talented writers wouldn't have been so kind to spare you. Lust makes you dumber, indeed, but I refuse to believe it would on its own be able to turn me into that kind of person. One that believes other people care about what kind of ponies he wishes to stick his Johnson in.

Not that she wasn't number 1 of that list I mentioned earlier, of course, but what is obvious doesn't need to be stated.

As she stepped inside, I realized she looked like she was on the verge of tears, in some kind of hysteric state. She had always been very, erm... over-dramatic, so we'd take such displays of emotion with a grain of salt. I had to admit that this time, it somehow seemed more serious. Much more.

She didn't look any less attractive, of course, but she did get us - mostly myself - worried already.

"Twilight, Spike, I need your help" she started, her voice painfully but deliciously cracking, not even waiting for us to say a word. "I can't find Sweetie Belle!"

"What?" we exclaimed in unison, like any good pair of characters in a story would do.

"She didn't come home yesterday after school, so my parents just figured she was at my home, but she wasn't!" she explained, talking way too fast to appear entirely sane. "We though she just went to a sleepover with her friends, but they weren't at school today, and Applejack hasn't seen Applebloom either since yesterday morning! And that Scootaloo one is missing too!"

As the love of my life breathed heavily, compensating for such a long sentence to say in one breath, I looked over at the platonic love of my life, who seemed like she was getting quite worried herself.

"Are you sure nopony has seen them? I'm sure they have to be somewhere, I mean..." started Twilight.

"We asked some ponies, of course but nopony has seen any of them all day!" she cried. "Applejack says they may have gone to the... the Everfree Forest so we got Rainbow Dash to... try to see if they're somewhere here, but... oh Twilight, I'm... I'm so worried." she finished dramatically.

"Don't worry, Rarity, I... I'm sure they can't have gone this far." answered Twilight as she walked over to the other mare in the room, pulling her into a hug. "We'll find them, just calm down. It's not the first time we've had a problem with them, remember?"

"I hope... I guess you're right"

I simply stood there and watched as my two favorite ponies were hugging, one crying over the other's shoulder, not sure what to say - if I should even say something, that is. Since one of them was pretty much my sister, such a sight was hard to enjoy, but I'm sure you're liking the mental image already, eh?

As she held the crying beauty into her hooves, Twilight Sparkle moved her mouth closer to her ear, whispering sensually, just loud enough to be heard: "Don't worry... I'm here for you.". The white unicorn smiled slightly, as the lavender mare started licking her tears away, slowly, her tongue passing by every inch of her face until she...

I knew you'd love it.

Anyway, they eventually pulled out of the embrace before I had a chance to join it, and soon the fashionista was explaining to the nerd what was going on with our friends.

"Rainbow Dash, Applejack and her brother are already in the... the forest" explained Rarity, still sobbing a bit. "They left about half an hour ago, and Fluttershy is probably flying over the town and environments as we speak right now."

"How about Pinkie Pie?" I asked

"She went to ask random ponies if they have seen them" she replied. "She said she knows everypony and that she was the best for the job, so we let her go."

"Have you asked Zecora? If they went to the forest, maybe they're at her house?" asked Twilight.

"Oh, no, we didn't think about this" realized the belle.

"I think I'll go there, then." she answered. "If I don't find them here, I can still join Applejack and the others, and ask Zecora to, I guess."

"Sounds like a good idea."

"What about you, Rarity?" I asked.

"I... I think I'm going to look around town one last time." she turned to me. "I've been running around Ponyville since Cheerilee told me they weren't in school, but... I wanna make sure, just one last time."

She gave my adoptive sister a quick glance, as if to ask "Sounds like a good idea?", to which she did answer:

"Sounds like the good thing to do, yes. Spike why don't you go along with her? If there's two of you, the search will be easier."

I stared at her hesitantly, and stammered.

"Er... yeah, why not. I mean, yes! Yes, of course I'll do it!"

When you know somepony since the day you were a young and tiny piece of crap of a dragon (or were actually HATCHED by that mare), you get to understand them way better than anypony else could. Sometimes, you don't even need to talk, a simple look will suffice.

The one Twilight gave me clearly meant "Don't get any funny ideas, this is a serious problem, you moron".

Teehee!

Rarity agreed that the two of us would indeed be more efficient than her alone, and so Twilight ran to the forest. I barely had the time to distinguish "Let's go!" out of the wonderful sounds the white unicorn emitted before I found myself running behind her and out of the library, into the streets of Ponyville.

Nothing of any interest happened during our search in the village, or at least nothing important enough to be related to You. We looked around any streets we could think of, as the sun got closer and closer to the horizon, eventually asked a familiar-looking pony if they'd seen any of the three fillies recently - none of which said yes.

We even met Fluttershy, who was doing the same job as us, but in the air. She hadn't seen anything either. Which in a way was quite fortunate, it would have pained me to end the story right in the middle of the second chapter.

Ponyville being a rather small town, we very soon had to admit to ourselves that the fillies weren't here. Rarity thanked me for helping and all, and said she was going to join her parents, who were searching in the environments of the village. I proposed to come with her, but she very politely declined, insisting that she wanted to talk alone with her parents, no offense intended my little Spikey-Wikey.

Some ponies have got this very particular talent, in that they could tell you whatever the heck they wanted, and you'd feel like you were being complimented. Rarity was indeed one of them, so I didn't feel offended the least. Your desire isn't my command, Milady: it's my one and only reason to live.

I wished her good luck and added the best reassuring comments I could think of about the situation, which was terrible but it's the intention that counts.

It always seems to be the good thing to do in moments like that, improvise a boring "don't worry, I'm sure it'll be fine", hoping to make each others feel a little bit better about the shit we're going through. Truth is, if these kind of remarks did in fact give anypony a tiny bit of happiness every time they were emitted, Equestria would have been a gigantic and permanent orgy for a long time, now.

It just doesn't work that way, but to pretend that your life is, in fact, not the worst thing that has ever happened to you is considered polite, so it seems. And, as ashamed as I am to confess this, seeming to be polite seemed more important than being a smart ass, at least in front of Her.

I was walking back to the library, thinking that once here, I could maybe decide whether to join the others in the forest, or simply go to sleep, when I saw a familiar mare, who had just finished a conversation with a blue and pink-maned earth pony I only knew by sight.

"Pinkie!" I called, rather simply.

"Spike!" I didn't have the time to see her walking or running toward me, she was already right in front of my face. "Oh-my-gosh-Spike-did-Applejack-tell-you-her-sister-and-Sweetie-Belle-and..."

"Yes, yes, she told me" I interrupted her before she gave me one of her signature monologues. "Well, Rarity told Twilight and I about them, I mean. I was searching around with her minutes ago."

"Did you find anything?" she asked.

Just as energetic as usual, Kinky Pie, but most happiness was gone from her tone and facial expression, although concern definitively showed. She didn't really look *sad*, really, if you were to compare her to a sane pony, but compared to her usual mood, the contrast was big enough to be somewhat depressing.

"No, nothing, I don't think they're in Ponyville." I answered, sadly. "What about you?"

"Well, duh, I'm in Ponyville, look! I'm right here!"

"I mean, what did you do?"

"Oh, well, I was asking ponies if they had seen Applebloom or Scootaloo or Sweetie Belle anywhere, because you know I know everypony in town, I mean like really everypony, even..."

"So, did they?", I interrupted.

"Did they what?"

"See them recently."

"Oh. Well, I haven't really asked everypony yet, but nopony seems to have seen them after yesterday afternoon, no."

"So the last time they were seen was yesterday, after school?"

"Yes, and you know, it's funny you say that because the pony I was just talking to is one of the last who saw them, so far, at 4am, when she was going back from the market to buy some..."

"What?" I exclaimed, before looking around, trying to see where the blue, pink and yellow mare was.

She wasn't anywhere to be seen, unfortunately, so I concluded with extreme perspicacity that she had already gone back to her place.

I turned to the madmare.

"Pinkie, do you know where that pony lives?"



-------------------------------------------------




Once her eyes had gotten used to the light, she was able perceive the environment that surrounded her.

It was much more beautiful than she had expected.

She found she was lying on top of a small hill, an apple tree only feet away from her, its branches extending enough into the air so that they had protected her from the sun's light, during her sleep.

When she looked over to the left, she could see a calm river, which she understood was the origin of the noise, a forest and some mountains in the background, far away.

Looking to the right gave her a similar sight, except the mountains were a bit bigger, and the river jumped into a big lake.

It was lovely.

The place wasn't quite recognizable, but it wasn't completely unfamiliar either. Just as if she had already been here before, a long time ago, but had forgotten it since then.

She enjoyed this mixed feeling of familiarity and unknown. Comfortable and exciting at the same time.

Resting under the tree while just staring at this magnificent landscape seemed like a good idea. It was so beautiful, she felt like she'd never get bored of it.

Where she was and how she got here were questions that did cross her mind, but seemed incredibly meaningless. Why would she even bother with that?

A voice.

She wasn't alone.



----------------------------------------



I guess this is the kind of job a pony like Twilight or Applejack would handle way, way better than me and Pinkie, but I felt like taking care of this. I don't know why, maybe it was for my own entertainment. I felt like reenacting one of the numerous interrogations scenes I'd read in some of the books in the library - the fiction books, the one Twilight never paid attention to.

Anyway, we arrived in front of a rather normal looking house, which description would have bored you. I hoped for a moment that it wouldn't be a bit late to disturb her, seeing how the sun had mostly gone under the horizon, but then realized I didn't really give a crap.

Pinkie Pie knocked on the door, without waiting for me to say anything. To my surprise, I actually knew the unicorn who opened it. Orange peepers, cyan, turquoise - or whatever the heck you're supposed to call this color - coat and a similarly colored mane.

Eeyup.

"Oh, good evening, Pinkie Pie and Spike, what brings you here?"

"Er, hello Lyra" I answered, surprised that Pinkie had brought us to the wrong house.

"We're so super sorry to disturb you, but is Bon Bon here? Me and Spikey would like to talk a bit with her."

Ooooh, yeah,

I'd forgotten about that.

Of course, Lyra and Bon Bon, they'd moved together some times ago. There had been a bit of rumors around the town, about the two mares moving together, of course, it was unusual. The ponies weren't fundamentally against anything, but they didn't like what they didn't know, so the two must have had a bit of a tough job reasoning the town.

But, after some time and explanations, as usual, everypony had understood them, was forgiven, lived happily until they died and everything sexual happened, the end.

Ever since we lived in Canterlot did I know Lyra, actually. She was a neighbor of Twilight's parents. Not much more than an acquaintance - the kind of neighbor you say wave your arm if you happen to meet them in the street only because you want to make a good impression - but we did talk a bit from times to times. She may have been the one to suggest to Twilight's parents that I learned the piano, having been given fingers by Mother Nature, actually.

We then, as you already know, happened to move in Ponyville around the same time, though for different reasons, so we did have a few discussions here and there, but still not enough to call her a friend.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against dirty, unnatural, disgusting and filthy filly-foolers - he said jokingly - but I did feel slightly awkward upon this realization. It's this weird feeling you get from any kind of revelation about a person, as meaningless as it may actually be. Beside, I was still young at the time, so while I did know about such concepts, seeing them put in practice was slightly weird.

Regardless, Lyra told us that yes, Bon Bon was actually here, and let us in. She's such a nice mare, isn't she?

The inside was pretty nice, really, looked like your typical still-considered-as-young couple's house, with a radio here (playing a piece of baroque music), some rather old pieces of furniture here and an occasional expensive carpet there, probably inherited or given by a parent, exposed well in sight to show off to the occasional visitor.

Two lyres could be seen, hung on a wall otherwise bare of any pictures, paintings or decoration. An intelligent placement, both for convenience - instruments are fragile but you always want them right under your han... hoof - and decoration - instruments are fancy-looking objects.

One of them seemed very expensive, simply judging by its appearance. The other one appeared to be a terribly old and cheap model, the kind you'd buy for 5 bits, use as a prop for a costume, and abandon in your attic. However, it was exactly the same model as Lyra's cutie mark.

We musicians always develop some kind of connection, with our instruments, should it be the one we learned to play on, the one we had for our first concert, or the one that's represented on both your butt cheeks. Not only do we know perfectly the way they feel and how to get the best sounds out of them - which is essential to playing well, more than the actual quality of the object - but they also tend to sound better as the years pass.

So while the presence of such a seemingly crappy instrument in the house of the great musician Lyra was known to be in Ponyville was surely surprising, it made sense.

I was thinking that I should ask Twilight if she could get that old piano from her parent's house to the library when the blue-ish green-ish whatever unicorn told us to sit on a sofa, which looked like it was at least the second most expensive piece of furniture in the room, and turned away from us to call her companion's name. The answer we heard was a rather inelegant way of saying that she was, in fact, using the toilets.

Pinkie Pie and I repressed a laugh as Lyra informed her wife (can you call them "wifes" if they're not married? Or most importantly, are they married? Can you even get married to someone of your own sex in Ponyville? I'll have to think about that) that there were people in the house waiting for her. I was already enjoying this.

"Bonnie told me about your friends' sisters" stated Lyra, looking at Pinkie with a concerned look. I stopped smiling."Have you found them, yet?"

"No, sadly" I replied before Pinkie had the time to talk. "But Pinkie has been talking with lots of ponies in town, and apparently, your frie- Bon Bon is the last pony that saw them."

"Oh, really?"

"Well, so far, but it's getting too late to ask the rest of the town."

Just at this moment, Bon Bon arrived in the room. She seemed slightly embarrassed, knowing the details about her digestive system she had accidentally communicated to us, but almost managed to look like she didn't want to vanish right now. The unicorn introduced me quickly to her partner, who - after insisting on getting us both a nice and warm cup of tea and some candies - asked us the exact same question. So I gave the same answer.

"... and so far you're the last pony who's seen them."

"I am? That's strange, there were other ponies around, I think. Somepony else would have seen the fillies."

"Well, duh, I didn't have time to ask everypony, I mean Ponyville is a small city compared to, like, Fillydelphia or Canterlot but that's still a lot of ponies!" replied Pinkie.

I coughed, and sipped on my tea, before putting it down on the coffee table, being careful not to spill any of it. Such a beautiful carpet, it'd be a shame to stain it with some warm liquid.

I bet it would have allowed me some great innuendos, though.

"So yes, we didn't have time to ask everypony, but I guess it is getting a bit late." I added. "So, where did you see them?"

She thought for a moment.

"I'm pretty positive it was in the kind of park between the Quills and Sofa store and that other pony's house, what's her name, with the green mane..."

"Daisy?" asked Pinkie.

"I... think, yeah?" replied Bon Bon, unsure. "Anyway, you see what place I'm talking about don't you?"

"Yes." we replied in unison.

Bon Bon appear to feel a bit awkward, which I interpreted as her being sorry for not being able to provide much interesting informations. It sounds like a very specific emotion, I know, but it was written all over her face.

The blue and pink-maned pony gazed quickly at her mare - gosh it sounds awkward written like that - as to ask for some kind of mental support, but Lyra looked like she was all out of bucks to give, staring in blank space, sitting on the sofa in a similar position to mine, which I wasn't quite sure was as comfortable to her as it was to me.

"Are you sure it was them?" I dared to question.

"Oh, yes, I did recognize that one with the bow, from the apple family." Was her answer, delivered with an uneasy expression, as if some bad memories were flooding back to her mind. I didn't understand why.

"Did anything happen?"

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know, didn't they go to another place, do anything particular or whatever?"

"Not really, they were just here playing with a ball. I stopped to talk a bit with a friend of mine, Starlight. She's a really nice mare, we discussed for maybe, 5 minutes, but then she told me she had to go, so I went on with my day." She put her hoof on her chin, trying to gather memories. "I think the fillies were still here when I left."

"Hm, so apart from that Starlight one, were there any other ponies around?".

"Yes, actually, several ponies walked in and out of here when I was chatting with her." Her eyes suddenly widened. "Oh wait, I think one colt did talk to the fillies, actually!"

"Oh, really? What did he look like?" asked Pinkie, who even though she was completely motionless, somehow managed to convey "bounciness" through her voice. In a serious way.

"Er... he wasn't really big for a stallion, and his colors were ... brown-ish, overall..."

"Deary" interrupted Lyra, whom we had already forgotten even existed "Wouldn't that be Caramel?"

"Hey, we know Caramel, don't we, Spike?" exclaimed my companion, turning to me.

Saying that I know Caramel would be as much of an exaggeration as saying Snails was slow was an euphemism, but I did meet him a few times, yeah. I think he was a friend of Big Macintosh, so this may explain that.

"Yeah, I guess we do. Brown mane, yellow coat and..." crap what was it already? "... horseshoes cutie mark, right?"

"Yes, I think." answered Bon Bon. "He just walked to the three of them when they were playing, and talked a little bit. He'd left pretty soon, though."

"Any other ponies?"

"Hm, I think I saw a mare with a pink coat and very light blond hair..."

"Fluttershy?" I interrupted

"No silly, pink COAT and blond HAIR, not blond COAT and pink HAIR." corrected my pink partner. "That's Flower Shine.."

"... unless I saw her in another street... and there was also a young mare with, er... a white coat, I think?"

I turned to Pink but she just shrugged. Well, we knew at least two ponies were there, so it wasn't all bad, right?

"Well, I think that's enough, we'll just ask Caramel and, erm..."

"Flower Shine"

"Yeah, Flower Shine, tomorrow." I looked quickly over a timepiece, and it was getting late. "I think we'd better be going now, the others are searching too, but thanks for your time, Bon Bon, sorry to have disturbed you."

"Oh, not at all of course, it's perfectly normal." replied the mare.

She asked us if we wanted to stay for dinner, we both said no. I don't think Twilight and the others would be reassured if we went missing too after searching for the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

They probably wouldn't be really happy if they learned that, while they were deep in the scariest and most dangerous place in all of Equestria, we were having a nice dinner with two random ponies.

Oh, by the way, what had happened of them? I suddenly thought. It had been more than an hour since Rarity and I had left the library, and Celestia only knows what can happen in the Everfree forest during that time. I pushed the though back in my mind.

As we got ready to leave, the green-ish blue-or-whatever unicorn got her attention away from the book she had apparently summoned from an alternate dimension - or perhaps I hadn't noticed her standing up, walking to the book shelf and sitting back on the sofa - and wished us good luck et cetera, saying she didn't dare imagining what we must be going through.

Here we go again, just like I was saying earlier. Hypothetical orgy, hypothetical orgy all over the place, but... no.

Anyway, I thought for a second about what I actually was going through, and realized I probably wasn't as worried as I should be. I mean sure, I was a bit scared that something may have happened to the fillies - Rarity's sister or not - but... I don't know. After an ancient spirit of Chaos taking over the world, a cockatrice menacing to turn everypony into stone, an Hydra, Ursa Minor and other creatures attacking us, an Evil Princess (that wasn't Celestia) meaning to make the night last forever....

Yeah, part of me said it was going to turn alright in no time, and nothing too bad could have happened. I wonder why.

The two lesbos were nice, very nice, really, I'll have to remember to visit them. They wouldn't let us get out of the house without hearing a parade of motivational phrases, attempts to convince us to stay for lunch, apologies for not being much more useful for our research, et cetera.

Pinkie Pie insisting on staying because she had heard of Bon Bon's talents for cooking didn't really help.

It quickly became annoying, so I had to resort on the most obvious excuse - that we had more searching to do - and they finally let us go.

With the satisfying feeling that I had at least tried to accomplish something, I said good night to Pinkie Pie, and headed to the library, thinking how my day went.

One moment you're doing nerd things with your nerd of a best friend, and barely two hours later, you're struggling to get away from a couple of lesbians who are begging you to stay over at their house for the night.

Life is funny.