• Published 21st Jul 2012
  • 3,295 Views, 78 Comments

First Contact - Cmdr Brohoof



Lyra is witness to a strange event during a solar eclipse. What are these beings form space?

  • ...
17
 78
 3,295

New Neigh-bors

Hendricks grumbled as he hit his head while working on his ship. “Lousy government issue crap.” He tossed a spanner into a tool box.

“How is it going?” Dr. Hood asked.

Without looking up from his work Hendricks answered her “Well the engines are down to twenty percent output, there are multiple hull breaches, for some reason the shields and life support can’t be on at the same time, I can’t check to see if the FTL drive works until I get the engines back in order, and my seat has this weird squeak now.”

“Can you fix it?”

“I don’t know I added some grease to it but the squeak is still there.”

“I was more concerned about the other stuff.”

Hendricks wiped is hands onto a black jumpsuit he had changed into when the ship was brought down from the mountain by Prof Star Watcher’s group. “It’s going to take a while but I should be able to fix most of it. She won’t exactly pass regulations but she’ll fly.”

Dr. Hood sat in the co-pilots seat and watched Hendricks work for a minute. “Every time I go into town they all ask about you.” Hendricks didn’t respond. “Why don’t you come with me? We can even get you some new clothes. I got this made at a little shop in town” Dr Hood looked down at the white sundress. “There was even this little pony there she was so cute…”

“I’m kind of busy” Hendricks interrupted her “I don’t have time to play dress up.”

“I know I just thought you might need a break you’ve been working for the past two week’s straight.” Hendricks still remained silent. “Hendricks what’s wrong?”

“Nothing” he grunted still working.

“I can tell something’s wrong, you can talk to me after all we’ve been through.”

“We should distance ourselves from them” Hendricks walked over and sat in the pilot’s seat, it squeaked.

“Why? They are friendly and after all they’re letting us stay here for free might I add.”

“When we go back what are we going to tell our superiors?”

“We tell them we found intelligent life on another planet.” Dr Hood began to daydream. “Think about it we’ll go down in history as the people who made first contact with this species.”

“Then what?”

“What do you mean?” Dr Hood asked

“Alright we made first contact what do you think mankind will want to do next?”

“Probably send researchers to learn more about this planet and its inhabitants. What’s the big deal we’ve made contact with other species before?”

“What usually accompanies research teams?”

Dr Hood thought for a moment “An escort?”

“An occupation force” Hendricks corrected “Its protocol.”

“What?”

“By the books when a new species is discovered a force large enough to occupy is sent under the guise of protection. If they agree to join us well, it ends there. If they don’t join us things get…complicated.”

“I’ve never heard that.”

“It’s not exactly publicized” Hendricks admitted “I don’t agree with it, but those are the rules.”

“So we just don’t tell them what happened.”

“When we show up with a jury-rigged ship and have been gone for over two weeks we just tell them what we blacked out?” They both remained quiet.

“Then we don’t go back.” Dr Hood said.

“We don’t go back?” Hendricks repeated

“No we stay here. Call it an early retirement.” Hendricks looked at her in disbelief “I mean look at this place fresh air, sunny skies, and cute friendly creatures. Even the rich can’t get a view like this on Earth anymore.”

“You realize when you mean “we don’t go back” that’s for good?”

“Yes. I have nothing to go back for except long days in a lab or some survey on empty world. What about you?”

“No” Hendricks said “Either way it’ll be a awhile before the ship is space worthy let's think about more carefully before we decide.”

“Will you come into town now?”

“Sure. Just let me clean up.”

“Meet you outside” Dr. Hood left Hendricks alone as she waited outside the ship. The ship rested on a hill overlooking the town of Ponyville. From their vantage point she the layout of the entire village.

“Alright lets go” Hendricks exited the ship still wearing his dirty jumpsuit.

“I thought you said you were going to clean up?”

“I did” Hendricks pulled on the collar of his white shirt underneath the coveralls. “I’ve only worn this shirt once since we’ve been here.”

Dr. Hood faked a sigh “Come on let’s just go”




Lyra’s little shop had been busy since she returned. Not with customers but ponies asking her questions about her adventures with the humans and the battle with the changelings.

“So Lyra did you really save the humans from the changelings?” a yellow earth pony asked

“Yup didn’t even break a sweat. I jumped in the middle of at least a hundred changelings took on fifty with my hooves and the other fifty I zapped with my magic.” Lyra stuck a pose like she fighting an unseen foe. The cowed oohed and aahed at her story.

“Lyra dear what did I say about exaggerating?” Bon-Bon asked

“Uh…I don’t remember” Lyra answered sheepishly

“Lyra did you tell them about the part where you got covered is ashes?” Hendricks asked as he and Dr Hood entered the crowded shop. All of the ponies turned to see the human as he entered.

“No, but I told them how I knocked you out when you tried to sneak up on me.” Lyra shot back.

Hendricks made his way toward the front of the crowd. They all stared up at him as he walked through the crowd. The ponies of Ponyville had grown accustomed to the smaller Dr. Hood. Hendricks was noticeably bigger than her and had a rougher appearance. Hendricks sat down on the shops counter and looked at the crowd then at Lyra.

“Was it something I said?” he asked Lyra

“They’re a little shy. So is your flying machine ready I want a ride in it!” Lyra said excitedly

“I’m working on it” Hendricks laughed

“You…you can fly?” A nervous pony in front asked

“Well yes in a manner of speaking. With the aid of a machine I can go into space.” Hendricks answered. The crowd muttered quietly wondering what the machine was.

“Was that you at the lunar festival?” came a question from the back.

“I believe so that was my ship crashing to your planet.” Hendricks and Dr. Hood spent a few hours answering the ponies’ questions. They avoided questions asked about how they got there and where they came from.

“Alright time to close up come back tomorrow and I’ll tell you about how rescued Bon-Bon” Lyra closed the door behind the last pony then turned to face the humans.

“You should start charging for your stories.” Hendrikcs smirked.

“That’s an awesome idea! Bon-Bon can we?”

“No especially since you make up most of it”

“I only add a little…”

“Lyra I got to admit I don’t think we fought a dragon at any point.” Hendrikcs said

“OK maybe that was bit much.”

“So how long are you staying in Equestria?” Bon-Bon asked.

Hendricks and the doctor looked at each other “My ship is pretty beat up its hard to say”

“Stay! You can move next door to us.” Lyra asked

“Lyra they want to go home you can ask them to stay.” Bon-Bon scolded

“We might actually be stuck here.” Hendricks admitted.

“Oh I’m sorry” Bon-Bon said sadly

“It’s okay I wouldn’t mind living here how about you doc?”

“Not at all it’s lovely.” she added.

Hendricks and Dr. Hood walked back to the ship as the moon was high in the sky. Hendricks was quiet as Dr. Hood kept pace with him.

“You’ve already decided haven’t you.” She asked

“We can’t go back. I don’t want to be responsible for messing up this place.”

“So…we are going to stay then.”

“Unless you want to go back.”

“No” Dr. Hood looked around at the quiet village “It so peaceful here”

“Alright what about the ring of death portal?” Hendricks asked

“What about it?”

“We have to make it so no one can follow us here.”

“I never thought about it.”

“While I was working on the ship I noticed they only deactivated my heavy weapons. I still have counter measures and I might be able to get my secondary weapons online. That should be enough to destroy the ring.”

“You thought this out before I said we should stay didn’t you?” Dr Hood grinned

“Maybe…”




Far above the lands of Equestria an unseen threat was already approaching.

“Admiral our scouts found something.”

“What is it Major?”

“We have it in the hold sir would you like to see it?”

“Put it on”

The major pressed a button and on a nearby panel causing a large screen to display a changeling with a red band pacing about. The admiral leaned forward resting his elbows on his desk. He watched the creature intently.

“Has it done anything?”

“No sir. The men who brought it in said it told them it wanted to make a trade then it surrendered. It says it will only speak to “The Queen” I’m assuming it wants our leader.”

“Interesting” the admiral leaned back. “Anything else?”

“We have finished scanning the planet below. Even though it’s roughly the size of Pluto it’s very rich in resources. The atmosphere is identical to Earth’s and we’ve spotted numerous life forms.” The major finished reading off his data pad.

“Has any contact been made with the natives besides the one on the hold?”

“No sir, although our scans picked up the fighter that was sent ahead of the fleet it didn’t respond.”

“Must have crashed. Major have the dreadnaught prepare for an orbital strike and position the rest of the fleet for a counter attack. In case whatever is down there can mount a retaliation.”

“Yes sir. What would you have us do with the…creature?”

“I’ll speak to it hold fire until I give the order. You’re dismissed major.”

“Aye aye sir” the Major saluted as he left the admiral.

The admiral made his way toward the ships hold. As he traveled through the ship the crew members would move out of way some avoided him entirely suddenly remember they needed to go the opposite way. Once at the door to the ships hold the two guards snapped to attention “Sir!” they both said as he passed through.

A portion of the hold had been cleared and a force field chamber was set up with scientist scurrying around it. The scientists were going over scans of the creature that sat quietly in the force field.

“Well?” the admiral interrupted a group of the scientists

“Admiral! Didn’t see you there.” One of them stammered

“Any updates?” he asked sternly

“No sir besides its appearance and an extra nerve where is horn is. Scans show it’s a normal Equidae.”

“A what?”

“A horse sir.” Another scientist added

“It has wings and holes in it.” The admiral approached the force field

“Are you the queen?” the changeling asked

“I’m in charge here, if that’s your meaning. I’m Admiral Ritter commander of the third fleet. The fleet that is poised over your world ready to rain destruction. I suggest you chose your next words carefully.”

“I would offer a trade.”

“And what could you possible give us?”

“Anything you want from our world.”

“As I said before we could destroy your kind and take what we want.”

“Ah but do you know where to strike?” the changeling asked. He went on to describe how the changelings’ enemies drove them deep underground. How every time they tried to retake their home land they were sent back licking their wounds. “Two of your kind has already aided our enemies.”

“Impossible” Ritter claimed “We have had no contact with any of your kind.”

The changeling flashed green. Where the changeling had been a black armored human now stood. “This is the one that attacked me” he said in Hendricks’ voice. “The other I did not take its form it was smaller and weaker.” The changeling turned back into his original form. The scientists began chattering about discussing the creature’s abilities.
The admiral thought for a moment

“I know him; he is a coward. I will see to it your enemies are vanquished. One of my aides will speak to you. Give him all the information for now you will stay on my ship as a guest.”

“Thank you” the changeling said.

As the admiral left the hold he grabbed a nearby lieutenant “Get as much intel as you can out of it then dispose of it quietly. Understand?”

“Yes sir” the lieutenant made his way toward the changeling.